Geno doesn't see same women's game Candice Wiggins complains about | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Geno doesn't see same women's game Candice Wiggins complains about

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Although Candice put it in rude and unflattering terms, she does have a point about the league not being very popular. Yes, attendance was up 5% 2016 over 2015, but it is still down about 25% from its peak of over 10,000 per game a few years ago. Though they have a minimum-wage type salary cap, still half the teams lose money. The spartan team travel makes it a demotion from the college lifestyle if you're from a big time college program. And the best coaches stay at the NCAA level where they can make a lot more money.

There are probably a lot more constructive ways to address these issues than the approach Candice is taking, but let's not pretend everything is all good. The league has really taken a step backward, and is in trouble if they don't figure out how to get more people to like their game.

Popular compared to what? The NBA? Sure. But the WNBA is actually in the ball park of the second tier of indoor professional sports leagues (such as arena football). And even in the men's Euroleague, the average attendance is only marginally higher: List of attendance figures at domestic professional sports leagues - Wikipedia

Reaction Score
Popular compared to what? The NBA? Sure. But the WNBA is actually in the ball park of the second tier of indoor professional sports leagues. And even in the Euroleague, where the owners pony up a lot more money for player salaries and amenities, the average attendance is only marginally higher: List of attendance figures at domestic professional sports leagues - Wikipedia
Well if you're saying attendance and viewership are never going to get to where fans pay the bills, then maybe the answer is get a bunch of rich corporate owners or Magic Johnson types to pay for the league. ??

The League:
Google Chromes
Apple iBallers
Pay Pals
Ellison Oracles
Los Angeles Magic
Air Jordans
Dallas Cubans
Ford Edge
Tesla Chargers
Pratt & Whitney Jets
Microsoft Surface
MGM High Rollers

Reaction Score
My point is, Geno has not walked in her shoes. She is the only one that can say what she experienced. Other WNBA players can attest to what they have or have not experienced as a WNBA player, but unless you are a WNBA player I am not sure why you are attempting to offer feedback on what it is like to be a WNBA player.

I don't know if Wiggins was bullied or not, but I am not one to attack a woman when she claims to have been a victim of bullying, just like I wouldn't attack the victim of sexual assault.

I do have a friend who told me that her daughter quit playing basketball because she felt like she was being bullied by teammates who were gay.

Gays are bullied all the time when they are the minority. Is it impossible to imagine that the reverse may be true?
Suspect there are bullies on all teams, from all groups, etc. Wiggins lost me when she generalized-"98%." If there is a problem, comments like this don't help reaching a solution.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom