Geno doesn't see same women's game Candice Wiggins complains about | The Boneyard

Geno doesn't see same women's game Candice Wiggins complains about

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Geno dismantles the Wiggins allegations, like only Geno can.

Geno Doesn't See Same Women's Game Candice Wiggins Complains About

"When you say bullying, do you mean you were bullied on the basketball court in the style of play that was used against you?" Auriemma said. "Do you mean like what happens to some really, really good players, players like Breanna Stewart, Diana Taurasi, Katie Lou Samuelson, where people are trying to physically intimidate you, physically beat you up? Because you're one if the best players in the country and they feel that's the only way they can get an advantage on you? Is that what you mean by bullying? Because guess what, I don't think you were ever a good enough player to be bullied that way from what I remember and what I saw.

"You're not a point guard by nature, and you're not a good enough shooter. I'm speaking as someone who watched and from what I heard from coaches in the league. If you mean in the true sense of trying to beat you up like the Denver Broncos did two years ago to Tom Brady and 'we have a chance.' If that's what you mean, OK. I still don't buy it, but OK.

"But if you mean you were bullied because of your sexual orientation or because of who you were or who you didn't want to be, whatever, maybe they just didn't like you. I don't know. To label the entire league at 98 percent, I thought Tara VanDerveer had a great line, "I don't know that math was ever Candice's strength.' I'd hate to be like Candice and indict the entire athletic department at Stanford by saying how do you let somebody like that into your school? That would be just as bad as what she did to the WNBA."​

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
"In my eight years with USA Basketball of dealing with the best of the best from the WNBA, some of the most amazing and outstanding people I've met have been the husbands, the wives, the partners of my players," Auriemma said. "My experience was overwhelmingly positive. I think that's important to say, too."- Gono

I love Geno's funnier interview comments but the man really has a way with words when addressing a serious topic.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how Geno is qualified to comment on Wiggins' experience in the WNBA.

Did you read the article? He talks about the things he knows from having watched the game and interacted with WNBA players and coaches. He doesn't pretend to know exactly what she experienced (hence such questions as "What do you mean by 'bullying'?"). But he's certainly qualified to say that her narrative and rationales don't make sense in light of what he knows and what he saw.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how Geno is qualified to comment on Wiggins' experience in the WNBA.

Wow... Does this mean Geno has no contacts in the WNBA? Or he doesn't understand players or the play or the environment in the WNBA? Or the coaching or the front office in the WNBA?

I have a hard time with the premise... Geno certainly has enough knowledge to comment on this subject given the players, coaches and front office people has has interactions with...

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Just about every comment Geno made in this article has the basis for his knowledge and experience for his statement. Either you 1) didn't read the article or 2) didn't follow what was said or 3) posssibly you disagree that his experience base is not an adequate qualification. If it's #3 your post is entirely off base and states completely the wrong position or question and needs to be rephrased/restated. If it's #1 or #2, then go read (re read) the article.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
My point is, Geno has not walked in her shoes. She is the only one that can say what she experienced. Other WNBA players can attest to what they have or have not experienced as a WNBA player, but unless you are a WNBA player I am not sure why you are attempting to offer feedback on what it is like to be a WNBA player.

I don't know if Wiggins was bullied or not, but I am not one to attack a woman when she claims to have been a victim of bullying, just like I wouldn't attack the victim of sexual assault.

I do have a friend who told me that her daughter quit playing basketball because she felt like she was being bullied by teammates who were gay.

Gays are bullied all the time when they are the minority. Is it impossible to imagine that the reverse may be true?

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Didn't care for some of his comments either. This in particular strikes me as a no-no if directed at certain groups of people.

"You would think if someone is unhappy with something, walk away and take the high road," Auriemma said. "What is to be gained by your comments other than you want to hurt people?

Plebe

Reaction Score
My point is, Geno has not walked in her shoes. She is the only one that can say what she experienced.

Funny, if I didn't know better I'd think maybe you'd written this line from the article itself: "Auriemma does not pretend to walk in the sneakers that Wiggins walked for eight years before retiring from the WNBA last March."

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Part of what bothers me about Geno's comments is that he made several references to Wiggins not being a good player, and the implication that she is saying these things because she is bitter that she was not good enough to be a successful WNBA player.

I respect Geno as a great coach and a great basketball mind, but I don't feel that this is a particular situation the he should be involving himself in.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Funny, if I didn't know better I'd think maybe you'd written this line from the article itself: "Auriemma does not pretend to walk in the sneakers that Wiggins walked for eight years before retiring from the WNBA last March."

If Geno had walked in her shoes (pumps) that would REALLY be a story.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I do have a friend who told me that her daughter quit playing basketball because she felt like she was being bullied by teammates who were gay.

Gays are bullied all the time when they are the minority. Is it impossible to imagine that the reverse may be true?

The reason why Candice's allegations ring untrue is because she claims to have been bullied for being straight, and she attributed this bullying to a pervasive "anti-heterosexual" culture in the league, one where the alleged bullies are protected by the privileges inherent to being in a "98%" majority. In so doing, she invoked one of the most retrograde homophobic tropes there is, that of the predatory lesbian athlete.

Geno has had extensive interactions with WNBA players since the league's inception, and especially through his work with USA Basketball. He is certainly in a position to observe a disconnect between Candice's sweeping allegations and his own extensive interactions with league participants dating back 20 years.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The reason why Candice's allegations ring untrue is because she claims to have been bullied for being straight, and she attributed this bullying to a pervasive "anti-heterosexual" culture in the league, one where the alleged bullies are protected by the privileges inherent to being in a "98%" majority. In so doing, she invoked one of the most retrograde homophobic tropes there is, that of the predatory lesbian athlete.

Geno has had extensive interactions with WNBA players since the league's inception, and especially through his work with USA Basketball. He is certainly in a position to observe a disconnect between Candice's sweeping allegations and his own extensive interactions with league participants dating back 20 years.

As an outsider, we can make observations, but he is basically saying "Candice Wiggins is a liar. And on top of that, she was not a very good basketball player."

As a gay person I don't like to see gays discussed in a stereotypical way. However, if that is truly the way Wiggins was made to feel then she has every right to say it. I hope that the WNBA doesn't just brush this aside as sour grapes and does speak to her about her experience. If not, and another player claims to have had the same issue and the WNBA has never investigated this claim I suspect that they could be looking at a law suit and would have to explain why they did not investigate this matter.

What do you think would happen if Becky Hammond stated that she was being bullied in the NBA? There would be an immediate investigation.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Candice has always been sort of a diva.

You see it in her attitude, her sense of style, the way she carries herself, her interviews--it's consistent. She ramps up her femininity and her personality and puts it right out there in a very forward way. Always has.

Now, obviously I haven't been there or been privy to anything she's talking about. But I can certainly imagine other players giving her a hard time, not so much for being straight per se but for being the way she is. It was said by more than one teammate that you love having her on your team but she is annoying as hell as an opponent. She's just a diva- type personality.

Until now I still liked CW, partly from being a Lynx fan. Not that this episode makes me hate her, not at all, but I can see how she would rub people the wrong way, and for her to throw much of the league under the bus like this just seems really suspect.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I don't discredit Wiggins saying she had a bad experience. I don't doubt that people were mean to her, or pushed her down, or whatever. It's a competitive league and those women all want to earn a spot on a team.

However, for Wiggins to disparage the very league that paid her for eight years, and the sport that gave her a freaking Stanford degree, is just wrong. And to play into people's already incorrect assumptions about the number of gay people in the league is wrong, too. As Stewie said, even if it was true, does it matter? Why bring it up at all? If they were bullying her for being straight, I wonder if other players will now step up to say that's happened to them as well? I sure haven't seen it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Candice has always been sort of a diva.

You see it in her attitude, her sense of style, the way she carries herself, her interviews--it's consistent. She ramps up her femininity and her personality and puts it right out there in a very forward way. Always has.

Now, obviously I haven't been there or been privy to anything she's talking about. But I can certainly imagine other players giving her a hard time, not so much for being straight per se but for being the way she is. It was said by more than one teammate that you love having her on your team but she is annoying as hell as an opponent. She's just a diva- type personality.

Until now I still liked CW, partly from being a Lynx fan. Not that this episode makes me hate her, not at all, but I can see how she would rub people the wrong way, and for her to throw much of the league under the bus like this just seems really suspect.

Being prissy is no crime, just like Janelle McCarville having the butchest haircut possible is no crime and no reason not to like her. Whatever you are, you should feel comfortable in "putting it out there." Unless your play for Baylor and you are a lesbian. Then, PLEASE don't put it out there. Especially on Facebook.

Plebe

Reaction Score
As an outsider, we can make observations, but he is basically saying "Candice Wiggins is a liar. And on top of that, she was not a very good basketball player."

As a gay person I don't like to see gays discussed in a stereotypical way. However, if that is truly the way Wiggins was made to feel then she has every right to say it. I hope that the WNBA doesn't just brush this aside as sour grapes and does speak to her about her experience. If not, and another player claims to have had the same issue and the WNBA has never investigated this claim I suspect that they could be looking at a law suit and would have to explain why they did not investigate this matter.

What do you think would happen if Becky Hammond stated that she was being bullied in the NBA? There would be an immediate investigation.

No one is saying that claims of abuse or bullying shouldn't be fully investigated. Of course they should. And that's regardless of the alleged reasons behind the bullying.

I get that you don't approve of Geno's blunt, calling-it-as-he-sees-it style (though I find that a tad ironic in your case). But I can guarantee you that most if not all people in and around the league have had reactions very similar to the ones Geno articulates, even if they've been circumspect enough to keep those reactions to themselves. (Not all have been so measured, though; see for example Kayte Christensen's and Chantel Tremitiere's scathing reactions.)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't discredit Wiggins saying she had a bad experience. I don't doubt that people were mean to her, or pushed her down, or whatever. It's a competitive league and those women all want to earn a spot on a team.

However, for Wiggins to disparage the very league that paid her for eight years, and the sport that gave her a freaking Stanford degree, is just wrong. And to play into people's already incorrect assumptions about the number of gay people in the league is wrong, too. As Stewie said, even if it was true, does it matter? Why bring it up at all? If they were bullying her for being straight, I wonder if other players will now step up to say that's happened to them as well? I sure haven't seen it.

As has been proven many times, victims do not always feel empowered to speak up. If no other player steps forward that doesn't mean that the experience that Wiggins claims to have had isn't true. It is possible for one woman to work for someone and be sexually harassed, even if others weren't. Should she just keep her mouth shut because it might harm the company that has paid her salary for 10 years? Does anyone remember the name Anita Hill.

I do not like the way that we tend to attack a person who claims to have had a bad experience just because we don't like it and find it "rude" of them to step forward.

Reaction Score

However, for Wiggins to disparage the very league that paid her for eight years, and the sport that gave her a freaking Stanford degree, is just wrong. And to play into people's already incorrect assumptions about the number of gay people in the league is wrong, too.

Well said.

Reaction Score
As has been proven many times, victims do not always feel empowered to speak up. If no other player steps forward that doesn't mean that the experience that Wiggins claims to have had isn't true. It is possible for one woman to work for someone and be sexually harassed, even if others weren't. Should she just keep her mouth shut because it might harm the company that has paid her salary for 10 years?

I do not like the way that we tend to attack a person who claims to have had a bad experience just because we don't like it and find it "rude" of them to step forward.

She didn't say *I* had a bad experience. She trashed the whole league in a way that could do extreme long-term damage.
It's akin to the difference between a white woman saying: "I was raped by a black man" vs "All black men are sexual predators of white women."

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She didn't say *I* had a bad experience. She trashed the whole league in a way that could do extreme long-term damage.
It's akin to the difference between a white woman saying: "I was raped by a black man" vs "All black men are sexual predators of white women."

She didn't say that EVERY player harassed her, but said that it was pervasive. If this happened to her she has a right to tell her story, just like any other victim, whether it damages the league or not.

Reaction Score

ETT...No attack here, just my opinion and I have seen some of your comments that have followed. With the claims Candice has made not something she could back up with fact in any way shape or form.

Your not sure how arguably the most influential coach in the woman's game at any level can have an opinion is mind boggling. :confused::confused::confused:
With all due respect you lowered the bar for yourself with this one. :(

Candice opened the topic with her absurd and bizarre comments which she was obviously looking to get attention from. Now she is getting it and her supporters are complaining? Head bang

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
No one is saying that claims of abuse or bullying shouldn't be fully investigated. Of course they should. And that's regardless of the alleged reasons behind the bullying.

I get that you don't approve of Geno's blunt, calling-it-as-he-sees-it style (though I find that a tad ironic in your case). But I can guarantee you that most if not all people in and around the league have had reactions very similar to the ones Geno articulates, even if they've been circumspect enough to keep those reactions to themselves. (Not all have been so measured, though; see for example Kayte Christensen's and Chantel Tremitiere's scathing reactions.)

Like I said, I don't know if she was bullied or not, and neither do the people who are commenting. Hopefully the WNBA doesn't just say "this is not true" and move on without so much as conducting an investigation, because if they don't it will appear to some that they are just trying to cover up the "real" WNBA.

I love the WNBA and I don't want to see it harmed, but more than that, I don't want to see any players harmed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom