Gamecocks 2022 | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watching Canada vs Dominican Republic right now and I’m really impressed with how far along LA has come. Her full game is coming out and she’s making an impact all over the court. Making great decisions and playing under control makes her scary to play against. Very nice passes to Edwards and Colley for scores. Still room for improvement defensively but I think she’s going to have a very good junior year.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Watching Canada vs Dominican Republic right now and I’m really impressed with how far along LA has come. Her full game is coming out and she’s making an impact all over the court. Making great decisions and playing under control makes her scary to play against. Very nice passes to Edwards and Colley for scores. Still room for improvement defensively but I think she’s going to have a very good junior year.
She’s currently putting on a SHOW

Reaction Score
And then there was one South Carolinian. U16 Olympic Team Trials. 16 players left. Edwards,Stack and Groot [NY/SC] did not make the cut it seems....

1st WBB Cut U16 US Olympic Team
16 remain

Attachments

• 1 2021 WU16 Trials_Team.JPG
    1 2021 WU16 Trials_Team.JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 84
Reaction Score
So with the conclusion of the 2012 Americup - the United States defeated Puerto Rico for the championship, and Brazil defeated Canada for 3rd place - we look at the final tournament stats for players of interest:

In minutes played per game, Aliyah Boston was 4th on the USA team, and 36th overall with 20.5 mpg behind Rhyne Howard (24.0), Veronica Burton (21.5), and Naz Hillmon-Baker (21.5). Destanni Henderson was 7th on the team and 56th overall, with 17.3 mpg.

Laeticia Amihere was 7th for Canada and 51st overall, with 18.2 mpg, and Kamilla Cardoso Silva was 8th for Brazil, and 50th overall with 18.2 mpg (apparently rounded up).

In points per game, Boston was 3rd for USA and 12th overall with 12.5 ppg, behind Howard's 13.2 ppg and Cunane's 12.8 ppg. Boston had led the team in scoring for most of the tournament until the semifinal game against Brazil where she had a poor scoring game of just 6 pts, and both Howard and Cunane picked their scoring up. The final 2 games Boston scored 23 pts, Cunane scored 31 pts and Howard scored 34 pts, and that's how the scoring leads ended up.

Henderson was 7th on the team and 47th overall, with 5.5 ppg. She did most of her scoring from behind the 3-pt. arc.

Amihere was 1st for Canada off the bench in scoring, and 8th overall with 13.0 ppg. Cardoso Silva was 4th for Brazil and 22nd overall, with 9.9 ppg.

In rebounds per game, Boston led the USA and the tournament overall with 9.3 rpg. Her 19-rebound effort in the championship game helped catapult her to the top of that category. Henderson was 11th on the team with 1.3 rpg. Hey, she's the smallest player on the team, after all.

Amihere led Canada off the bench and was 11th overall, with 7.7 rpg. Cardoso Silva was 2nd for Brazil and 6th overall, with 8.0 rpg.

3 for 14 (21.4%). She had been shooting pretty economically for the tournament and was quite above all other shooters (before the Semifinal she had a 66% FG % Americup stat leaders (Team Rank / Tournament Rank)

In assists per game, Henderson was 2nd on the team and 8th overall with 3.7 apg. She fell behind Burton's 4.0 apg average by dishing out only 1 single assist in the final 2 games of the tournament after being inserted into the starting lineup by Coach Staley - she had led the team coming off the bench prior. Boston was tied for 5th on the USA team and 29th overall with 1.8 apg.

Amihere was 7th for Canada and 38th overall, with 1.5 apg, and Brazil's Cardoso Silva was tied for 10th for her team and 59th overall, with 0.9 apg.

In blocks per game, Boston was 1st for USA and 3rd overall, with 1.8 bpg. Henderson was tied for 8th and 49th overall, with 0.2 bpg. Again, she's tiny.

Amihere was 1st for Canada off the bench and 9th overall with 1.0 bpg, and Cardoso Silva was 1st for Brazil and 4th overall, with 1.6 bpg. South Carolina should be in good hands next season as far as leading the WCBB in blocked shots for the 3rd consecutive season. We would be in line to lead in blocked shots per game for the 3rd straight, but were edged out last season 7.04 to 7.03 bpg by Syracuse and.....Cardoso Silva.

In steals per game, Boston actually out-did Henderson - she was tied for 6th on the team, and tied for 36th overall, with 0.8 spg. Henderson was 8th, and tied for 48th overall, with 0.7 spg.

Amihere was 5th for Canada and tied for 23rd overall with 1.0 spg, and Cardoso Silva was 10th for Brazil and 74th overall with 0.3 spg. If blocks aren't tiny Henderson's bag, then steals are probably not 6-7 Cardoso Silva's bag either.

In total field goal percentage, Boston was 1st for USA and 2nd overall, with a .537 FG %. She finished behind Puerto Rico's Jazmon Gwathmey's .543 accuracy. Again, the semifinal game versus Brazil was Boston's undoing here, as she shot 3-14 (.214) for her 6 points. Prior to that game, Boston was 20-29 (.690) for the tournament, in 4 games. But 29 attempts meant she averaged 7.25 attempts per game, a small amount. She took 14 attempts versus Brazil, and that anchored her average down like an anvil. Even though she shot a much better 6-11 in the championship game, the combined 9-25 (.360) for the two games were almost as many attempts as she shot for the previous 4 games. Henderson was not ranked, as most all of her shooting was done behind the 3-pt arc, and she didn't take enough shot attempts above the minimum requirement.

Amihere was 1st for Canada and 4th overall, at .500. Cardoso Silva - like Henderson - wasn't ranked due to too few attempts per game. She was however 26 of 42, for a .619 FG %.

In 3-point field goal percentage, here was where Henderson made her mark: she was 1st for USA and 2nd overall, with a .474 3-pt FG %. Boston was unranked due to not enough attempts from behind the arc, but she was 1-4 (.250), going 1-1 in the championship game.

Same case with both Amihere (3-9 .333) and Cardoso Silva (none attempted).

In game efficiency per game, Boston was 1st for both the USA team and overall, with a 20.5 epg. Henderson was 10th for the US and 46th overall with a 6.2 epg.

Amihere was 1st for Canada and 7th overall, with a 16.0 epg, and Cardoso Silva was 1st for Brazil and 6th overall, with a 16.1 epg.

Reaction Score
The Amihere SC fans have all been waiting for showed up at the FIBA tournament. She just got better and better over the week. I think she wrapped up a spot on the Olympic team with that performance. The only down side is she’ll be in Miami for the next month instead of Columbia.

Reaction Score
The Amihere SC fans have all been waiting for showed up at the FIBA tournament. She just got better and better over the week. I think she wrapped up a spot on the Olympic team with that performance. The only down side is she’ll be in Miami for the next month instead of Columbia.
I wonder if some of her success has to do with her positioning in the Canadian offensive formations. She was on the perimeter more than she would be as a forward at USC. It really makes me wonder if we'll have periods of time with Amihere at the wing and Cardoso/Boston on the interior.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wonder if some of her success has to do with her positioning in the Canadian offensive formations. She was on the perimeter more than she would be as a forward at USC. It really makes me wonder if we'll have periods of time with Amihere at the wing and Cardoso/Boston on the interior.
:eek: That's a terrible idea.
Get Out Goodbye GIF by Bounce

Reaction Score
Is it, though? I get Amihere’s perimeter percentages aren’t great, but it’s also not like SC is regularly stacked with three-point bombers. This year may be different with Hall and Johnson backing up Cooke and Henny, but Amihere’s not going to dominate the inside like Boston and Cardoso and she’s too talented to ride the bench.

I’ll be clear that I do NOT want to see Amihere at the 2. If she’s going to play outside it needs to be as a wing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Is it, though? I get Amihere’s perimeter percentages aren’t great, but it’s also not like SC is regularly stacked with three-point bombers. This year may be different with Hall and Johnson backing up Cooke and Henny, but Amihere’s not going to dominate the inside like Boston and Cardoso and she’s too talented to ride the bench.
I’ll be clear that I do NOT want to see Amihere at the 2. If she’s going to play outside it needs to be as a wing.
:eek: Let me be more clear. As a UCONN fan I think this idea is ill conceived and unworthy of any future consideration.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

I am pretty sure that those 3 on the court at the same will be almost non existent. Dawn can run two sperate teams of 5 and use the others a substitutes within those 2 five team line ups. She did that with A'ja and company in her freshman year. North Carolina did this with their men's team years ago. They were called "the blue team" if I recall correctly. You have to play them or you're going to have issues. She will pick her starting 5 and then her second 5 and at games end the minutes will be pretty equally spread. That's the "Dawn Ball" I have seen over the years.

Reaction Score

Freshman year she was 7 for 10 from three

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure that those 3 on the court at the same will be almost non existent. Dawn can run two sperate teams of 5 and use the others a substitutes within those 2 five team line ups. She did that with A'ja and company in her freshman year. North Carolina did this with their men's team years ago. They were called "the blue team" if I recall correctly. You have to play them or you're going to have issues. She will pick her starting 5 and then her second 5 and at games end the minutes will be pretty equally spread. That's the "Dawn Ball" I have seen over the years.
I don't see it as a starting formation but as one that we rotate into as a strategy to exploit matchups.

I can see Dawn experimenting with tall lineups of Boston-Saxton-Amihere and Cardoso-Boston-Amihere.

Reaction Score
Additionally, we saw Dawn play both Boston and Cunane together in the Americup. I think this supports the idea that we will experiment with Boston and Cordoso on the floor at the same time.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This might not be the correct thread for this, but yall need to fix those darn roads down in SC. :mad::mad::mad: I was in your state last week, and I couldn't believe the conditions of the highways and roads down there. My friend asked me if I was trying to hit all the bumps and holes in the road on purpose. I was thinking... not like I have any other choice in the matter.. it was either that or drive in the grass. :mad::eek::p

Anyway, any idea when the schedule comes out? It's almost July.

Reaction Score

Amihere is a bigger version of UConn's Griffin in that both make things happen on defense and are outstanding rebounders but scoring within the offense is missing. They could both be excellent midrange shooters with their ability to elevate. Looking at the talent on S Car it's going to be tough to get major minutes if you can't shoot.

Reaction Score
Amihere is a bigger version of UConn's Griffin in that both make things happen on defense and are outstanding rebounders but scoring within the offense is missing. They could both be excellent midrange shooters with their ability to elevate. Looking at the talent on S Car it's going to be tough to get major minutes if you can't shoot.
LAs problems come with turnovers and decision making. She travels a lot with the ball and doesn't use her size to protect the ball. She can also dribble into some nasty situations that cause turnovers and held balls.

I definitely saw improvement in the Americup. She looks to have worked on her footwork and I can't recall any bad turnovers. I still think she needs to work on decision making skills and, as you said, develop a midrange shot -- which is normal for this stage of her career. Overall she seems to be improving!

Reaction Score
This might not be the correct thread for this, but yall need to fix those darn roads down in SC. :mad::mad::mad: I was in your state last week, and I couldn't believe the conditions of the highways and roads down there. My friend asked me if I was trying to hit all the bumps and holes in the road on purpose. I was thinking... not like I have any other choice in the matter.. it was either that or drive in the grass. :mad::eek::p

Anyway, any idea when the schedule comes out? It's almost July.
So you are against the infrastructure bill in Congress (too much $$) and complain about pot holes in SC. got it!

Reaction Score
LAs problems come with turnovers and decision making. She travels a lot with the ball and doesn't use her size to protect the ball. She can also dribble into some nasty situations that cause turnovers and held balls.

I definitely saw improvement in the Americup. She looks to have worked on her footwork and I can't recall any bad turnovers. I still think she needs to work on decision making skills and, as you said, develop a midrange shot -- which is normal for this stage of her career. Overall she seems to be improving!
I agree but differ regarding timeline. I say this is the LA we saw during the NCAA tourney.

Reaction Score
This season I'm more excited for women's basketball than any other college sport. I thought hiring Beamer would bring back my interest in college football but I've become more and more of a casual fan ever since Spurrier left.

I've been a fan of other Gamecock sports -- mostly basketball and baseball. I don't follow the baseball team unless we're predicted to have something special and I always watch men's basketball if I like the coach. I like Frank Martin but he has been frustrating me ever since the final four run in 2017. I thought we would turn the corner and become a regular top 25 team. We seem to be going the wrong direction.

It seems like Dawn is the only consistent Gamecock coach. She is amazing at producing no matter the circumstances and it's been a pleasure to see her climb the ladder in women's basketball. I owe it to her! She introduced me to the marvel that is women's sports and I'm very thankful. I still think the best days are ahead!

Any other Gamecock fans feel the same?

Reaction Score
This season I'm more excited for women's basketball than any other college sport. I thought hiring Beamer would bring back my interest in college football but I've become more and more of a casual fan ever since Spurrier left.

I've been a fan of other Gamecock sports -- mostly basketball and baseball. I don't follow the baseball team unless we're predicted to have something special and I always watch men's basketball if I like the coach. I like Frank Martin but he has been frustrating me ever since the final four run in 2017. I thought we would turn the corner and become a regular top 25 team. We seem to be going the wrong direction.

It seems like Dawn is the only consistent Gamecock coach. She is amazing at producing no matter the circumstances and it's been a pleasure to see her climb the ladder in women's basketball. I owe it to her! She introduced me to the marvel that is women's sports and I'm very thankful. I still think the best days are ahead!

Any other Gamecock fans feel the same?
Exactly. We gave up season tickets to football 2 years ago but keep our scholarship so I can get WBB tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom