Gamecocks 2022 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wolfe613

This season I'm more excited for women's basketball than any other college sport. I thought hiring Beamer would bring back my interest in college football but I've become more and more of a casual fan ever since Spurrier left.

I've been a fan of other Gamecock sports -- mostly basketball and baseball. I don't follow the baseball team unless we're predicted to have something special and I always watch men's basketball if I like the coach. I like Frank Martin but he has been frustrating me ever since the final four run in 2017. I thought we would turn the corner and become a regular top 25 team. We seem to be going the wrong direction.

It seems like Dawn is the only consistent Gamecock coach. She is amazing at producing no matter the circumstances and it's been a pleasure to see her climb the ladder in women's basketball. I owe it to her! She introduced me to the marvel that is women's sports and I'm very thankful. I still think the best days are ahead!

Any other Gamecock fans feel the same?
not a gamecocks fan but as a cbb fan I can say that I will definitely try to watch as much as I can of them this yr, team has all the talent to win the ntl title just hope they live upto the expectations. I definitely expect a team who has unfinished business especially Boston who I'm sure is motivated by her miss.

Reaction Score
not a gamecocks fan but as a cbb fan I can say that I will definitely try to watch as much as I can of them this yr, team has all the talent to win the ntl title just hope they live upto the expectations. I definitely expect a team who has unfinished business especially Boston who I'm sure is motivated by her miss.
I agree. This will be the first season that Dawn has had A-list talent as upperclassmen at multiple positions. She previously has relied on 1-2 stars or upperclassmen to take lead. This season, almost anyone on the team could be a threat and that's exciting to think about!

Reaction Score
I agree. This will be the first season that Dawn has had A-list talent as upperclassmen at multiple positions. She previously has relied on 1-2 stars or upperclassmen to take lead. This season, almost anyone on the team could be a threat and that's exciting to think about!

Staley had senior Coates at the 5, junior Wilson at the 4, and RS-juniors Gray and Davis at the 3 and 2 spots one season. That season didn't fare too badly, I don't think........

W

wolfe613

Staley had senior Coates at the 5, junior Wilson at the 4, and RS-juniors Gray and Davis at the 3 and 2 spots one season. That season didn't fare too badly, I don't think........
to get the #2 #3 #4 and #14 ranked players will be interested to see how much of an impact they make frosh year

Reaction Score
Yes but Davis and Gray only played a season. Until the tournament we didn't know what we were getting from week to week. Our current group has been developing in Dawn's system since freshmen. IMO it's different.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Exactly. We gave up season tickets to football 2 years ago but keep our scholarship so I can get WBB tickets.
If you had told me 10 years ago that I'd give up season football tickets in 2020 (I made that decision, pre-COVID), I would have scoffed. I put it firmly on Muschamp. Never had I been more bored at FB games than while he was coach and I finally decided not to spend thousands of dollars a year to be bored, not to mention it became more difficult to find people to go with me due to the quality of play. I still have season tickets for WBB and MBB.

Reaction Score
I wonder if some of her success has to do with her positioning in the Canadian offensive formations. She was on the perimeter more than she would be as a forward at USC. It really makes me wonder if we'll have periods of time with Amihere at the wing and Cardoso/Boston on the interior.
For a Canadian fan as myself, like Aaliyah at UCONN, we're used to seeing this. If you can find footage from when she played for Canada during her U16 - U19 days, this is more of the position she'd play.
:eek: That's a terrible idea.
Get Out Goodbye GIF by Bounce

:eek: Let me be more clear. As a UCONN fan I think this idea is ill conceived and unworthy of any future consideration.
As a UCONN fan, you may like the concept for Aaliyah though. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For a Canadian fan as myself, like Aaliyah at UCONN, we're used to seeing this. If you can find footage from when she played for Canada during her U16 - U19 days, this is more of the position she'd play.
Love love this concept!
I have advocated even recently that with the addition of Dorka and Amari in the post one of the things I'm most looking forward to is Aaliyah moving out to the wing on occasion. I also had some pretty heated arguments with BY who saw her as a post player and had to point out that for Team Canada she was a wing forward also.

Reaction Score
Love love this concept!
I have advocated even recently that with the addition of Dorka and Amari in the post one of the things I'm most looking forward to is Aaliyah moving out to the wing on occasion. I also had some pretty heated arguments with BY who saw her as a post player and had to point out that for Team Canada she was a wing forward also.
I think I've seen some of your comments.

I've been frustrated with the "post player" concept as well, however I have to remind myself that not everyone have seen Aaliyah's play before coming to UCONN. I've also have had the benefit of living in the Greater Toronto Area of Ontario which made it possible to see her games in person.

A lot of UCONN fans are only just learning about what she can do. They'll come around. ;)

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

For some reason I’m really excited for Zia this year…. I think she could have another big year… things usually click this year and her mom says she’s been putting in the work this off season.

Reaction Score
Yes but Davis and Gray only played a season. Until the tournament we didn't know what we were getting from week to week. Our current group has been developing in Dawn's system since freshmen. IMO it's different.
Always knew what Gray was going to provide. Davis was up and down.

Reaction Score
Always knew what Gray was going to provide. Davis was up and down.
It’s a shame Davis left after 1 year. She could have really benefitted from being in the system forat least 2 years. She was a talent for sure. Never forget following on the computer her first game. She. Lit up Ohio State for 40+ points. And it was all downhill scoring wise from there.

Reaction Score

I think I've seen some of your comments.

I've been frustrated with the "post player" concept as well, however I have to remind myself that not everyone have seen Aaliyah's play before coming to UCONN. I've also have had the benefit of living in the Greater Toronto Area of Ontario which made it possible to see her games in person.

A lot of UCONN fans are only just learning about what she can do. They'll come around. ;)

I would hate the concept of having Edwards play SF. I don't know know enough about SC but for UCONN Edwards doesn't fit at the SF. First off she is UCONN's best low post scorer and most physical rebounder ( I ready recently the Canada coach refer to Edwards as a "world class rebounder." IMO at least this early you don't stick a "World Class Rebounder" who still has so much to learn on the perimeter in College.). Further, what was mentioned by some of her International Play and how the Pros play they are not comparable to college in terms of physicality. .

As of right now late in a close game UCONN cannot give the ball to Liv or Dorka to score on an isolation low post move because they can't hit free throws (actually Liv can't low post well either.). Further, to use an expression Charles Barkley used about "Mouse in the House" - a player like Edwards needs to learn to consistently treat smaller players like mice. Sticking her on the perimeter this early in her career is not the answer.

Right now she has shown to be very good on the inside (but needs to be more consistent and to be more consistent she has to keep playing there)) and a very good defender and a strong rebounder and yet not that good of a shooter from the outside. Why would UOCNN ever want to potentially go away from her strengths in college basketball and force her to play more to her weaknesses? Why would UCONN want to play against a player's strength when they don't have to?

There was similar talk when she 1st came about playing her SF. The minute I saw her on tape before coming to UCONN - it was so obvious - she's a PF in college that can play center too. For a championship college team she is not a SF unless in an emergency. She doesn't have the outside skills yet to be a significant/consistent minutes contributor on the perimeter for an elite team. But she definitely has the power skills that as of a PF/C.

Overall I think as a wild guess having Amihere as a SF is an awful idea but maybe for your team Amihere might be okay vs the other Sf's on your team other than your starter. Maybe but I don't know anything near enough about SC in this regard.

I agree with your Camcontent's last point. For me- I can see all of UCONN fans watching Edwards grow- maybe an All-American someday as a PF. But before she moves to SF let's see her consistently whip the bigger/and/or slower PF's with her perimeter skills, and her dribbling and passing skills to both create opportunities for herself and her teammates. Until she can do that vs PF's - she is not a SF for an elite team.

Sorry to talk so much about UCONN on the Gamecock thread. The Gamecocks are a super team - just super. I think though it's possible Amihere and Edwards are similar. Though I have not really paid attention to Amihere - so I can't say with any conviction - but overall I don't like pushing a 6'4 player with overall good enough strength and terrific athleticism toward the perimeter when I'm using some of her numbers from last year. OFC there are exceptions. But a player in Amihere who shot 0-10 from 3 with just 29 assists vs 70 turnovers doesn't sound like a SF for an elite team to me. She can do that for a crummy team and individually try to possibly get individually better without regard to winning but that is not why she came to SC is my guess (just like many terrific but not number 1 recruits etc). And some mentioned her 3pt shooting as a frosh- if you feel that's more important - okay - I'm not a SC fan. I tend to look at more recent data unless I feel I know why the prior year was more relevant.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I can’t see Amihere spending significant amount of time at the 3, but I can see her there in a pinch in lineups that are meant to get her the ball.

I think the long term vision for Amihere is for her to be a face up forward. In the mold of A’ja. She has good shooting motion and is really good off the bounce. At this point in their careers, I think A’ja was a better midrange shooter, but I think Amihere is the better dribbler, and her first step is MUCH quicker. Amihere has some of the quickest feet I’ve seen in a forward in a long time. If she can put a 1 dribble pull up together (something A’ja mastered by her senior year) with her quick first step and ball handling she will be a dangerous forward facing the basket.

Reaction Score
I would hate the concept of having Edwards play SF. I don't know know enough about SC but for UCONN Edwards doesn't fit at the SF. First off she is UCONN's best low post scorer and most physical rebounder ( I ready recently the Canada coach refer to Edwards as a "world class rebounder." IMO at least this early you don't stick a "World Class Rebounder" who still has so much to learn on the perimeter in College.). Further, what was mentioned by some of her International Play and how the Pros play they are not comparable to college in terms of physicality. .

As of right now late in a close game UCONN cannot give the ball to Liv or Dorka to score on an isolation low post move because they can't hit free throws (actually Liv can't low post well either.). Further, to use an expression Charles Barkley used about "Mouse in the House" - a player like Edwards needs to learn to consistently treat smaller players like mice. Sticking her on the perimeter this early in her career is not the answer.

Right now she has shown to be very good on the inside (but needs to be more consistent and to be more consistent she has to keep playing there)) and a very good defender and a strong rebounder and yet not that good of a shooter from the outside. Why would UOCNN ever want to potentially go away from her strengths in college basketball and force her to play more to her weaknesses? Why would UCONN want to play against a player's strength when they don't have to?

There was similar talk when she 1st came about playing her SF. The minute I saw her on tape before coming to UCONN - it was so obvious - she's a PF in college that can play center too. For a championship college team she is not a SF unless in an emergency. She doesn't have the outside skills yet to be a significant/consistent minutes contributor on the perimeter for an elite team. But she definitely has the power skills that as of a PF/C.
I understand your perspective, however I still believe her talents are not being fully utilized based on how you envision seeing her play. Full time SF? Maybe not and that's fair, however my belief is that her skillset offers more versatility, which I hope UCONN fans will see over time like I have. Working solely in the post, you lose her ability to drive and slash through using her speed and agility. That's a strength you're losing which could be really helpful. This is why she rarely was in that position when she played for Crestwood, Kia Nurse Elite and other teams.

I agree regarding rebounding. She's always been tough and UCONN needs that. Does she need to improve? Of course she does and she'll continue to do so. She's a lot more versatile than being stationed in a post and it could be to UCONN"s advantage in different situations.

Reaction Score
I understand your perspective, however I still believe her talents are not being fully utilized based on how you envision seeing her play. Full time SF? Maybe not and that's fair, however my belief is that her skillset offers more versatility, which I hope UCONN fans will see over time like I have. Working solely in the post, you lose her ability to drive and slash through using her speed and agility. That's a strength you're losing which could be really helpful. This is why she rarely was in that position when she played for Crestwood, Kia Nurse Elite and other teams.

I agree regarding rebounding. She's always been tough and UCONN needs that. Does she need to improve? Of course she does and she'll continue to do so. She's a lot more versatile than being stationed in a post and it could be to UCONN"s advantage in different situations.

When Edwards plays PF and even a center she doesn't have to play only in the paint. UCONN had Morgan Tuck, Gabby Williams, Collier all PF's that were more than just low post players. In some cases soem fo these were also center. Even Stewart wasn't only a post player either whether one were ot argue she was a PF or C. Prior to that Maya Moore was UCONN's PF. She rarely played the post. Just because Edwards plays PF doesn't mean she is only a post player. She can be versatile even if she is the PF or Center by using her ability to put the ball on the floor past slower pf's and knock don perimeter shots.

Years ago when Baylor got beat by Louisville - UCONN had an end of season show with Geno or maybe it was the next season. The question got brought up about Baylor and Griner. I can't remember the specific question but it probably had to with how Louisville bottled her up - because looking back at the data one can see she only got off 10 shots. I remember Geno saying though that over the years he would have had Griner do more than just stick in the post. Even a dominant center like Griner was- Geno would have also had her play some outside the paint.

I hate to do the above the SC thread (this para and next for the thread is specific SC) but I feel it is possible all the above is the same with Amihere (I think they are very similar). I see that a poster just referenced if SC needs to get the ball to Amihere then she can be a SF at some times. But why can't they get her the ball as a PF if you have to get the ball to her (Why does she have to move to SF?)? And to further than when it comes to Amihere (and Edwards)- it seems to me that if either haven't dominated yet in terms of being at least "Honorable Mention A/A" caliber in the paint - then moving them further away from the basket imo isn't the answer (at least for me with Edwards though I agree with anyone that thinks just don't play them only in the paint as a PF/C. It seems both can show off their versatility playing PF but not just stuck inside.).

For SC fans don't they think that they have enough in Beal, Saxton, Grissett, Feagin, and Rivers to be able to cover the SF position with high quality? Beal is the starting SF - so you SC fans that want Amihere at SF- you have little confidence that any of the others could be a terrific backup? Up front if Amihere is such a threat then you'd have a tremendous roving 3 at PF and C keeping each other fresh in Boston, Amihere and Cardoso, wouldn't you?

Reaction Score
Amihere’s biggest flaw is bringing the ball down before she shoots. She’s NEVER had a summer with the staff or even a normal preseason. She was injured her freshman year, last year was COVID and this year she’s with the Olympic team in Miami. She’s quite a talent and will be a real compliment to Aliya or Camilla at the 4. I cant Wait for this season to start.

Reaction Score
I have zero notions of Amihere at the 3 with a possible exception of occasional match-ups against taller opponents, and even then Beal, Hall and Rivers should hold their own most of the time. Grissett would also be a fit here but she may not be available for half the season. I still think the base rotation will be Boston and Cardoso/Silva at the 5, and Saxton/Amihere at the 4, with Feagin working in at either position. That should be plentiful depth for 90-95% of opposition......

Reaction Score
Wow! The Huskies have hijacked our Amihere thread

Did I really do that?

Each time I spoke of Edwards I also made it a point to talk of Amihere and not just a sentence or 2.

Reaction Score

Risch on a trek through the southeast this weekend with visits to UK, UL, NC St., UNC, and Tenn.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Risch on a trek through the southeast this weekend with visits to UK, UL, NC St., UNC, and Tenn.

Love seeing that KK Arnold finally made it back to SC..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom