Gamecocks 2022, part III | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022, part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I really don't see Wesolek getting much playing time unless we're up by double digits.

Reaction Score
I trust Dawn, if she says she believes a certain player can step up then I will believe it too. Dawn saw that Amihere could hold serve as an emergency PG when no else did and we remained undefeated with that challenge.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Clark is an amazing player and sure is fun to watch. She is a scoring machine and she provides for her teammates extremely well.

It would be cool to see Lee though on a team with a little more support than she does at KSU. What she has done this year has been nothing short of remarkable.

As far as POY I have to go with Boston, she is a walking double double and is on pace to catch Fowles with the double double streak. What she does offensively, on the boards and on defense is what separates her IMO from the others. Her success is simply invaluable and a giant reason SC is #1 and their success (not saying SC doesn't have other great players).
Boston is my POY pick too. Stats don't tell the story--she's just been the clear best player in almost every game I've seen. Dominates defensively, is much improved offensively and her improvement is the main reason why SC is the juggernaut they are compared to 2021.

Reaction Score
I really don't see Wesolek getting much playing time unless we're up by double digits.
I bet Dawn will favor the experience from Wesolek over the potential from Feagin.

If faced with a difficult situation, I bet Dawn would rather have Wesolek beaten because her opponent was more athletic rather than having Feagin getting beaten because she is out of defensive alignment.

Obviously, I hope both have fantastic games ... I'm more or less thinking worst case scenarios.

Reaction Score
I bet Dawn will favor the experience from Wesolek over the potential from Feagin.

If faced with a difficult situation, I bet Dawn would rather have Wesolek beaten because her opponent was more athletic rather than having Feagin getting beaten because she is out of defensive alignment.

Obviously, I hope both have fantastic games ... I'm more or less thinking worst case scenarios.
Heck no! :confused:

Wesolek will only get in for garbage minutes. Beal and Rivers will play at the 4 before Wesolek does. (IMO, Wesolek is not a P5 low post forward. She’s too short and has zero athleticism to make up for that shortness to play down low. If she wanted any chance for regular playing time, she needed to develop an outside shot and become a wing or a stretch 4.)

What we’ll likely see the next two games is Boston, Saxton, Lele, and Feagin will all see their PT extended. Maybe we will see Beal move down and play a some limited stretches at the 4 when match ups allow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
New game time and some visitors coming to CLA. Does Jay Bilas still do Gameday?

Has Gameday been at a women's basketball game before? I'm guessing it has but I'm not aware of what game(s).

Reaction Score
Has Gameday been at a women's basketball game before? I'm guessing it has but I'm not aware of what game(s).
I assume they probably showed up for a big matchup involving one or both Tennessee or UConn. Would be surprised if they hadn’t ever done it, much less a couple or few times over their history.

EDIT:
This is on the CGD Wikipedia page:

6E3785F2-A891-480E-B04D-536429456D7D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
“College Gameday’s trip to visit Dawn Staley’s USC will be its first time making an exclusive trip to a women’s basketball game in 11 years. The show has previously highlighted UConn in 2010 and Tennessee in 2011.”

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
“College Gameday’s trip to visit Dawn Staley’s USC will be its first time making an exclusive trip to a women’s basketball game in 11 years. The show has previously highlighted UConn in 2010 and Tennessee in 2011.”

This Gameday visit is different than what happened in 2010 and 2011 in Storrs and Knoxville. Back then it was the Men's Gameday show (Jay Bilas, Rece Davis, etc) that did its show in connection with a women's game or, in the case of Tennessee, a men's/women's doubleheader. The Gameday show was the regular Saturday morning show and the women's games were broadcast during the Saturday night ESPN slot typically reserved for men's games. The men's broadcast team (Schulman, Vitale and Burke) did the women's games.

Next Sunday's Gameday show is the women's version with the normal studio host/analysts doing a pregame show on location. It's still very important and should happen every year.

From the SC article which is not entirely accurate.

College Gameday’s trip to visit Dawn Staley’s USC will be its first time making an exclusive trip to a women’s basketball game in 11 years. The show has previously highlighted UConn in 2010 and Tennessee in 2011.

Doors to Colonial Life Arena will open at 11:30 a.m. for ticket holders to attend the pregame show. College GameDay will be hosted by Elle Duncan and feature analysts Carolyn Peck, Rebecca Lobo, Holly Rowe and Andraya Carter.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...asketball/article258257395.html#storylink=cpy

Reaction Score
And the 3 freshmen played some good minutes too. Feagin looked much better today. Breezy Hall and Rivers are just dang good bb players. SR sees the whole floor for sure.

Reaction Score
This Gameday visit is different than what happened in 2010 and 2011 in Storrs and Knoxville. Back then it was the Men's Gameday show (Jay Bilas, Rece Davis, etc) that did its show in connection with a women's game or, in the case of Tennessee, a men's/women's doubleheader. The Gameday show was the regular Saturday morning show and the women's games were broadcast during the Saturday night ESPN slot typically reserved for men's games. The men's broadcast team (Schulman, Vitale and Burke) did the women's games.

Next Sunday's Gameday show is the women's version with the normal studio host/analysts doing a pregame show on location. It's still very important and should happen every year.

From the SC article which is not entirely accurate.

College Gameday’s trip to visit Dawn Staley’s USC will be its first time making an exclusive trip to a women’s basketball game in 11 years. The show has previously highlighted UConn in 2010 and Tennessee in 2011.

Doors to Colonial Life Arena will open at 11:30 a.m. for ticket holders to attend the pregame show. College GameDay will be hosted by Elle Duncan and feature analysts Carolyn Peck, Rebecca Lobo, Holly Rowe and Andraya Carter.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...asketball/article258257395.html#storylink=cpy
Per Tennessee fans...they're only coming because you're playing Tennessee. They just don't stop. lol

Reaction Score
Per Tennessee fans...they're only coming because you're playing Tennessee. They just don't stop. lol
Yes and it’s because of Pat Summit that they even have WBB. It’s ok. It’s fun when there are villains. Now we have Tennessee and Mulkey And we have ALWAYS hated Missouri.

Reaction Score
The legacy of Tennessee and it's fanbase is definitely part of the reason why they are coming, but they are kidding themselves if they don't think Dawn and the environment she's built is the main reason for this event.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Sellout crowds and the environment it creates for WBB and television is undeniable. This more about the No. 1 team and their environment than about Tennessee and their program. Tennessee has had many games over the years including the UCONN games that would have been covered if it was about Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Billing points:
*Battle of (at least) ranked teams.
*Tennessee could get a "TV bump" to Number Ten today. Then it would be a Battle of Top Tens.
*Tennessee can probably tie for first in the SEC with a win on Saturday.
*Tennessee does still have a bit of a "brand" in wbb.

But, I agree that, if it was about Tennessee they would have had more over the years.

IT's about the number one team and the favorite for player of the year AND A BIG & RABID CROWD playing a respectable opponent.

Reaction Score
Billing points:
*Battle of (at least) ranked teams.
*Tennessee could get a "TV bump" to Number Ten today. Then it would be a Battle of Top Tens.
*Tennessee can probably tie for first in the SEC with a win on Saturday.
*Tennessee does still have a bit of a "brand" in wbb.

But, I agree that, if it was about Tennessee they would have had more over the years.

IT's about the number one team and the favorite for player of the year AND A BIG & RABID CROWD playing a respectable opponent.
This is what I'm looking forward to seeing. Rabid fan support, a battle between ranked SEC teams and a national stage for it all to happen. Can't wait.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I see the game vs Tennessee on Sunday is sold out - 18,000 strong. With UT losing to Bama, a win guarantees a 1 seed in the SEC Tournament and at least a tie for the regular season championship.

Reaction Score
South Carolina is ranked 63rd currently in Scoring Offense at 71.4 ppg. That doesn't look great, but there are a ton of programs bunched together just above scoring 70 ppg: if we averaged 4 ppg more we'd be in the top 25.

South Carolina is 5th nationally in Scoring Defense, allowing 51.0 ppg: right behind Georgia Tech who is 4th also allowing 51.0 - they get to be ranked ahead of us because they've played 1 more game than we have, currently. But we are the top Power 5 programs in that ranking. We're also 3rd nationally in Scoring Margin, at 20.4 ppg, the top P5 program in that category. The Gamecocks are also 2nd nationally in Field Goal Percentage Defense, allowing 32.6%. They are 2nd only to Liberty, who allows 32.5%.

When one considers the strength of schedule we've played to get to those high rankings, plus the fact that Staley has always been a stickler for giving her reserves as much playing opportunities as possible in the 4th quarters, those stats are truly impressive.

South Carolina's scoring per quarter for the season is as follows: 1) 463, 2) 426, 3) 473, 4) 417 - the 1st and 3rd quarters are naturally the highest-scoring quarters, because those are the quarters when the starters are in the game. The 4th Quarter is the lowest, because that's the one quarter that is sure to see reserves play the dominant minutes - in some games that were close in the 1st half, starters have to stay in games late in the 2nd Qtr., so it's not as low. But we've averaged 889 ppg combined in the 1st half, and 890 ppg in the 2nd half - pretty solid balance.......

Incidentally, opponents' combined scoring per quarter is: 1) 309, 2) 303, 3) 321, 4) 336. So the 4th Qtr. is their best scoring quarter, while it is our worst. Makes sense as they are typically trailing - often trailing BIG - and have to make one last offensive surge to get back into the game. That can apply with the 2nd half scoring overall, as opponents have to make adjustments and play with more urgency being typically behind in the score of the game at that point. But opponents also play more often against Gamecock reserves in the 4th period.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom