Gamecocks 2022, part III | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022, part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I see the game vs Tennessee on Sunday is sold out - 18,000 strong. With UT losing to Bama, a win guarantees a 1 seed in the SEC Tournament and at least a tie for the regular season championship.

Yep, but if Horston is not able to go for the game, that puts a bit of a wet blanket over it. But it will be a great showcase for the program, nonetheless....

Reaction Score
Yep, but if Horston is not able to go for the game, that puts a bit of a wet blanket over it. But it will be a great showcase for the program, nonetheless....
If SC doesn't win by 25+...Vol fans will claim a moral victory and that if not for the absence of Horston, they would have won. I'm not saying Dawn should play her starters for 40 minutes, but I would still try and bury them by 40 if I could. Part of elite status...is instilling fear and dominance even before tipoff. TN is ranked about where I thought they should have been...15-20. If you noticed even when they only had a single lost for weeks pollsters barely moved them upwards. I think this was because the light front end schedule and that some of the "ranked" teams they did beat...slid downwards or completely out of the top 25.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t the best game to watch but a win is a win and we’re 25-1 :D. Better than bragging about beating Xavier and Georgetown

Reaction Score
Not our best game but personally I'm a little happy it was competitive for the sake of WBB. A blowout win with all the fanfare of College GameDay and being on network TV could have discourage ABC from doing it again anytime soon. I hope the next GameDay experience is much sooner than 11years from now.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Wasn’t the best game to watch but a win is a win and we’re 25-1 :D. Better than bragging about beating Xavier and Georgetown
Yes, better than bragging about beating Xavier. Yet, UConn did whomp Tenn with Horston better than SCar did without her. Dye shooting 2-14 at the college level doesn't get it. But SCar handled their business the way a good team is supposed to do...and who cares what your team scoring average is, as some here point out about SCar, when you're beating the hell out of good teams? Teams who are in the top ten or twenty consistently? Just look at the rebounding differences SCar has over teams and that should tell people enough about how good they are.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a UCONN fan, I’m happy for your team’s success, especially because it’s at the highest peak, atop the mountain. And today’s win against TENN was an awesome feeling. But somehow, you’re not satisfied with that celebration, you have to throw some shade at my team. Yes, we’re struggling, and everyone knows that, but we’ll be okay.
Continue to have fun at UCONN’s expense, but remember where your team once was.

Reaction Score
As a UCONN fan, I’m happy for your team’s success, especially because it’s at the highest peak, atop the mountain. And today’s win against TENN was an awesome feeling. But somehow, you’re not satisfied with that celebration, you have to throw some shade at my team. Yes, we’re struggling, and everyone knows that, but we’ll be okay.
Continue to have fun at UCONN’s expense, but remember where your team once was.

Wasn’t shade at all, just calling it as I see it. Apparently us not beating Tenn like UConn did make us more vulnerable. I’m not having fun at UConn’s suspense if someone can make a comment on SC, then I’ll make one on UConn. Simple.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
SC had an off day. They have the talent and coaching skill to beat Tenn. by a much greater margin. Still, beating Tenn. by double digits while playing a slightly ragged game is ok.

Thanks to Dawn—an admired and respected adversary—and company for limiting the Knoxville crew to hollow claims of “moral victory”.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t shade at all, just calling it as I see it. Apparently us not beating Tenn like UConn did make us more vulnerable. I’m not having fun at UConn’s suspense if someone can make a comment on SC, then I’ll make one on UConn. Simple.
SCspur, it’s okay. And of course you can, and should defend your team. I do realize that we fans become giddily excited in our teams’ success(es), and then show our excitement in many ways.

PS: I’ll still look forward to reading your posts

Reaction Score
If SC doesn't win by 25+...Vol fans will claim a moral victory and that if not for the absence of Horston, they would have won. I'm not saying Dawn should play her starters for 40 minutes, but I would still try and bury them by 40 if I could. Part of elite status...is instilling fear and dominance even before tipoff. TN is ranked about where I thought they should have been...15-20. If you noticed even when they only had a single lost for weeks pollsters barely moved them upwards. I think this was because the light front end schedule and that some of the "ranked" teams they did beat...slid downwards or completely out of the top 25.
You were right.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Of course, you're right. I don't think I've ever really said anything negative about SCar beyond what I said today. I've often complimented SCar fans on this site, I've often complimented SCar under Dawn (about whom I've never said anything negative), and I'll continue to do so. The truth is, no matter our opinions, in the end there's always the Championships, and that opinion rules in the end. Hopefully, if things shake out, we'll get to play each other again this year. Our rivalry, as I've said many times, is really good and necessary for WCBB.

JordyG

Reaction Score
But, and there's always a but, I'm also well aware that we UConn fans can be overbearing, snobbish, rude, and entitled. In many ways we've become the NY Yankees of WCBB, and you either love UConn or hate UConn. Perhaps one day, if Dawn continues to have success, SCar and fandom will understand what that feels like.

Reaction Score
Of course, you're right. I don't think I've ever really said anything negative about SCar beyond what I said today. I've often complimented SCar fans on this site, I've often complimented SCar under Dawn (about whom I've never said anything negative), and I'll continue to do so. The truth is, no matter our opinions, in the end there's always the Championships, and that opinion rules in the end. Hopefully, if things shake out, we'll get to play each other again this year. Our rivalry, as I've said many times, is really good and necessary for WCBB.
I never appointed anyone single person who had something negative to say just was a general statement. I find you to be quite complimentary to Dawn and the program. Lol like I said earlier it was just a general statement.

Reaction Score
I bet Staley disagrees.
I bet she agrees. The overall day, with 18,000 fans which included 2000 students, Gameday, a win over a conference rival to clinch the #1 seed and at least a share of the Conference title, and Senior day was indeed a great showcase. All the pressure was on SC. That they won by 14 is a problem? They didn’t have a great day shooting and still won by 14. On to the next game.

Reaction Score
I bet she agrees. The overall day, with 18,000 fans which included 2000 students, Gameday, a win over a conference rival to clinch the #1 seed and at least a share of the Conference title, and Senior day was indeed a great showcase. All the pressure was on SC. That they won by 14 is a problem? They didn’t have a great day shooting and still won by 14. On to the next game.
My friend, all that aside...even the 14 point margin of victory...I don't know a coach on the planet that would be happy with 32% fg, 24% from 3 and 62% from the charity stripe. YES...it goes down as a win. But, coaches aren't dismissive like us fans. Dawn will see that she outrebounded TN 59-38 and then wonder why she didn't win by 30. I was actually surprised how easy the TN guards blew past SC guards to get to the rim. Problem was...the layup part. Against a better team, and in the NCAA Tournament there is no...on to the next game. Dawn knows this.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I never appointed anyone single person who had something negative to say just was a general statement. I find you to be quite complimentary to Dawn and the program. Lol like I said earlier it was just a general statement.
I apologize if my statement came off as feeling you were pointing at me. I too just wanted to make a general statement...and I find that most who are seriously uncomplimentary about Dawn are really just pounding on WCBB. In truth SCar and UConn need each other, and I hope our relationship never becomes as acrimonious as that between UConn and Tenn.

Reaction Score
My friend, all that aside...even the 14 point margin of victory...I don't know a coach on the planet that would be happy with 32% fg, 24% from 3 and 62% from the charity stripe. YES...it goes down as a win. But, coaches aren't dismissive like us fans. Dawn will see that she outrebounded TN 59-38 and then wonder why she didn't win by 30. I was actually surprised how easy the TN guards blew past SC guards to get to the rim. Problem was...the layup part. Against a better team, and in the NCAA Tournament there is no...on to the next game. Dawn knows this.
I doubt Dawn is hardly satisfied with any game just like any coach should. Overall I still believe she is generally happy with the performance and overall spotlight given to the program today. The team overcame the distractions of GameDay and senior night and still got a win that wasn't much in doubt. Outrebounding the so called best rebounding team in the nation by 20+, commiting only a decent 12 turnovers, limiting Tennessee to only one made 3 and surviving some early foul trouble with some good bench performances is pretty good. Especially in a game in which our shots weren't falling from outside, I think she willing to live with the rough shooting percentage against one of the better defensive teams if we're just as effective defensively as well.

Reaction Score
I doubt Dawn is hardly satisfied with any game just like any coach should. Overall I still believe she is generally happy with the performance and overall spotlight given to the program today. The team overcame the distractions of GameDay and senior night and still got a win that wasn't much in doubt. Outrebounding the so called best rebounding team in the nation by 20+, commiting only a decent 12 turnovers, limiting Tennessee to only one made 3 and surviving some early foul trouble with some good bench performances is pretty good. Especially in a game in which our shots weren't falling from outside, I think she willing to live with the rough shooting percentage against one of the better defensive teams if we're just as effective defensively as well.
ok. For the record, I was just commenting about her satisfaction with team performance and not all the surrounding fanfare. Rebounding is a tricky stat, especially offensive rebounds. On one hand it looks impressive, but on the other hand...it means you missed a shot. If you couple that with overall low fg% for a game and it means a fair amount of second or third opportunities were also missed. I don't watch all the SEC games, but I watched a few TN games this year and I could see why they were at the top of D1 in rebounding. They miss a lot of shots and they are usually taller at every position. I stopped counting how many layups they missed.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
SC had an off day. They have the talent and coaching skill to beat Tenn. by a much greater margin. Still, beating Tenn. by double digits while playing a slightly ragged game is ok.

Thanks to Dawn—an admired and respected adversary—and company for limiting the Knoxville crew to hollow claims of “moral victory”.
You know they're a shadow of their former selves when they're searching for moral victories.

Reaction Score
ok. For the record, I was just commenting about her satisfaction with team performance and not all the surrounding fanfare. Rebounding is a tricky stat, especially offensive rebounds. On one hand it looks impressive, but on the other hand...it means you missed a shot. If you couple that with overall low fg% for a game and it means a fair amount of second or third opportunities were also missed. I don't watch all the SEC games, but I watched a few TN games this year and I could see why they were at the top of D1 in rebounding. They miss a lot of shots and they are usually taller at every position. I stopped counting how many layups they missed.
I could be wrong but I'm quite sure the great showcase comment was about the GameDay experience as a whole.

Both teams miss a lot of shots and their strengths are often the 2nd chance points. That's the identity of both teams. In some ways both teams are a mirror of each at times but South Carolina is general is just a better version of it. I just wish Horston was able to play.

Reaction Score
I said it was a great “showcase”. If you weren’t impressed by the entirety of that experience I can’t change your mind. I didn’t say it was perfect. Anybody that’s even a casual fan of WBB had to have been impressed by everything that was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom