Gamecocks 2022-2023, part two | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022-2023, part two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For anybody out there who still frets over the 5’6” height listed on Lay’s ESPNW recruit page. Bueckers standardly listed at 5’ 11.
F8D5DABA-6091-4C77-AC17-3AAA07934C18.jpeg

Screenshot source:

Reaction Score
For anybody out there who still frets over the 5’6” height listed on Lay’s ESPNW recruit page. Bueckers standardly listed at 5’ 11. View attachment 80852
Screenshot source:

I’ve been saying for a while now that she’s at least 5’9”.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I got a couple of serious questions for the Game Chicken fans during an off day.

1) When was the last time a top SC high school player (nationally ranked.. top 50 or so) left the state for another school.

2) Do they teach driver's ed in SC's high schools ... or through a private company? :confused: cause.... :mad:

3) Since SCar is a Under Armour school.... are you more likely to purchase UA gear ?

Reaction Score
I got a couple of serious questions for the Game Chicken fans during an off day.

1) When was the last time a top SC high school player (nationally ranked.. top 50 or so) left the state for another school.

2) Do they teach driver's ed in SC's high schools ... or through a private company? :confused: cause.... :mad:

3) Since SCar is a Under Armour school.... are you more likely to purchase UA gear ?

Want to say Xylina McDaniel and Ndea Bryant are the last instate players to leave that SC pursued. 2012.

Edit: Well there was Kiana Holland (Duke) and Dekeiya Cohen (Baylor) after that. Forgot about them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

3) Since SCar is an Under Armour school.... are you more likely to purchase UA gear ?
Loyal MCQueen played for GT. I don’t remember what/if she was ranked but Dawn didn’t offer.

I’m an anti-label person. My only under armor is gamecock gear. I have a 20 year old Nike sweatsuit somebody gave me that I rarely wear. Maybe I can sell it on line as a “Retro” collectible.

Reaction Score
I took drivers Ed. We had a classroom with machines from the 70s where you watched a movie about lots of horrible driving. You turned the wheel and hit the breaks. Then the football coach took us on road tests.

I have under armor team stuff though haven't bought any lately. At one point I'd have been slightly more likely to get their stuff but have never bought any shoes.

Reaction Score
Loyal MCQueen played for GT. I don’t remember what/if she was ranked but Dawn didn’t offer.

I’m an anti-label person. My only under armor is gamecock gear. I have a 20 year old Nike sweatsuit somebody gave me that I rarely wear. Maybe I can sell it on line as a “Retro” collectible.
Leveretter went to Kentucky in same class.

Don't think the staff really recruited either though it's possible they might have had an offer

I think McQueen's family didn't jibe with the situation.

Reaction Score

Probably, but out of happenstance, not some kind of brand loyalty. I’ve picked up UA shirts, polos, and caps that were on sale. But I have a lot of non-UA Gamecock apparel as well.

Reaction Score
I took driver's ed in HS. Our head fb coach "taught" it. We watched a lot of film during fb season while he scouted that week's opponent. Learned a ton about fb during driver's ed....he was a legend among 2A coaches back in the 80s. (Mac Weir for fellow South Carolinians who followed HS ball back then.)

As for brand loyalty I really don't care what the brand is if I like the design and quality. Homefield has some cool retro designs and I like how soft the cotton is.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Hope someone said "oh no, not like this, Tennesssee" during the football contest last night. Wow.

South Carolina and the Vols continue to stomp on each other's football dreams. Quite the spoiler series it's devolved into.
We suffered some heartbreakers at the hands of the Vols during the Spurrier years, especially that year they kept us from winning the East.

There’s no team I want to beat more outside of Clemson.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Good thing I didn't post as planned on yall getting Orange crushed in football two weekends straight. :oops: I may have to tune in at 12pm Saturday on ABC after all. I hope to see some scuffles.

I took driver's ed in HS. Our head fb coach "taught" it. We watched a lot of film during fb season while he scouted that week's opponent. Learned a ton about fb during driver's ed....he was a legend among 2A coaches back in the 80s. (Mac Weir for fellow South Carolinians who followed HS ball back then.)

As for brand loyalty I really don't care what the brand is if I like the design and quality. Homefield has some cool retro designs and I like how soft the cotton is.

The reason I ask, is that some slowpoke with a SC license plate got in front of me yesterday while on my way home with lunch. I had burgers (yes plural) and fries, and this guy/gal was driving slow, and didn't know which way he wanted to turn. Figure it must be a flaw in the SC Driver's Ed course or something... cause it ain't the first/second/or third time someone from SC has made me upset on the road.

Never heard of Homefield.

Reaction Score
Good thing I didn't post as planned on yall getting Orange crushed in football two weekends straight. :oops: I may have to tune in at 12pm Saturday on ABC after all. I hope to see some scuffles.

The reason I ask, is that some slowpoke with a SC license plate got in front of me yesterday while on my way home with lunch. I had burgers (yes plural) and fries, and this guy/gal was driving slow, and didn't know which way he wanted to turn. Figure it must be a flaw in the SC Driver's Ed course or something... cause it ain't the first/second/or third time someone from SC has made me upset on the road.

Nothing worse than your burger getting cold!

Reaction Score
Very disappointing game for Cardoso after she looked so good to start.

Eyebrow raising to see Olivia get key minutes. I guess they felt they could hide her on Jump but that was really asking a lot out of her.

Getting Fletcher and/or Raven to where they can be trusted in this game is the project of the season.

This has become quite the mini rivalry.

Stanford has out rebounded SC 2/3 times out and surprisingly has lost both games they had the better of it and won the other (SC +4).

Reaction Score
Very disappointing game for Cardoso after she looked so good to start.

Eyebrow raising to see Olivia get key minutes. I guess they felt they could hide her on Jump but that was really asking a lot out of her.

Getting Fletcher and/or Raven to where they can be trusted in this game is the project of the season.

This has become quite the mini rivalry.

Stanford has out rebounded SC 2/3 times out and surprisingly has lost both games they had the better of it and won the other (SC +4).

Cardoso is just a bad fit for these types of games. She is tremendously talented, but is so languid in how she plays the game: the steal from her late in the game, as she held the ball navel-high and stood there looking around, is a great example of what I'm saying. She plays a bit too non-sense of urgency. I don't want to call her slow or lazy or unaware, but opponents who are quick and aggressive can take advantage of her. Brink was easily starting on the perimeter, and then quick-sprinting past Cardoso for easy layups at the basket early in the game, because Brink was pretty fast at doing that, and Kamilla was too slow to respond. She can get away with doing that with smaller players, because she makes up for the distance with her great length. But Brink also has that length. Amihere was a bit like that her first 1-2 years at USC.

Olivia made some sense to me, and was a risky but "riverboat gambler" move for Staley. Cooke was struggling, and the post play was being stifled. South Carolina needed some outside scoring to crack open the stiff Cardinal defense in the paint, and Olivia came through with a big 3-pt shot in the 1st half.

A huge telling stat for the last 3 games played by both teams:

In the 2021 NCAAT Final Four, Stanford edged South Carolina by 1 point. They forced the Gamecocks into 11 turnovers - 8 from Cooke and Henderson. Not a whole lot, and Stanford had 12 of their own, but they edged South Carolina in points off of those TOs 11-10. One point, in a one-point win.

In last season's Gamecock win over the Cardinal, pretty much the same teams met again, this time in the regular season in Colonial Life Arena in Columbia. South Carolina forced Stanford into committing 20 turnovers compared to committing just 7 themselves, and out-scored Stanford 26-6 off of those turnovers.

In today's game at Stanford, the Gamecocks again forced the Cardinal into committing 22 turnovers to just 11 for themselves, and out-scored the Cardinal 18-9 off of those TOs.....

Reaction Score
Amihere is great when the refs let her be physical. I thought this was one of her best games. She and Beal are the unsung heros of this game. We would have lost without their defensive intensity and timely plays on offense.

I'm glad Hall is starting to get in rhythm and pick up where she left off last year. I think having the flu at the beginning of the season put her a little behind the rest of the team, but I believe she has fully caught up now! I really believe she will be an integral piece to making another title run.

Our young backups were awesome. I feel like they have earned Dawn's trust with their performances this game, particularly Watkins and Feagin. I can see the young players starting to sprout their wings. We'll be in good hands one this group of seniors is gone.

Reaction Score

Probably a lost Ohio transplant.

I just checked Homefield's site and they haven't added Duke yet but they most likely have plans to. Took us years before they added us. Believe it was a couple of yrs ago. Then a few months later they added Clemson....they did that intentionally bc they have first day sales "contests" to see which fan base has the highest first day totals. It's especially a big deal among SEC teams to see who outsells the others. We turn everything into a competition in this conference. LOL. But Clemson was mad they added us before them. Long story short, we sold out everything they had and had stuff on back order in like 14 hrs. Clemson didn't fare as well.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
How are the early returns on Fletcher? I figured she would be an important part of the team... I don't recall seeing her in the 4th quarter or OT. Perhaps Coach was just playing with the hot hands?

Probably a lost Ohio transplant.

I just checked Homefield's site and they haven't added Duke yet but they most likely have plans to. Took us years before they added us. Believe it was a couple of yrs ago. Then a few months later they added Clemson....they did that intentionally bc they have first day sales "contests" to see which fan base has the highest first day totals. It's especially a big deal among SEC teams to see who outsells the others. We turn everything into a competition in this conference. LOL. But Clemson was mad they added us before them. Long story short, we sold out everything they had and had stuff on back order in like 14 hrs. Clemson didn't fare as well.

I only wear Nike or Under Armour when it comes to athletic wear
33.gif
33.gif 33.gif Now if you wanted to send me some free Homestyle Duke gear in the future, I wouldn't turn it down :p

Reaction Score
How are the early returns on Fletcher? I figured she would be an important part of the team... I don't recall seeing her in the 4th quarter or OT. Perhaps Coach was just playing with the hot hands?

I only wear Nike or Under Armour when it comes to athletic wear View attachment 80909 View attachment 80909 View attachment 80909 Now if you wanted to send me some free Homestyle Duke gear in the future, I wouldn't turn it down :p

Basically SC didn't play a PG in 4th Q/OT.

It's officially a concern. I think they've been ok so far, but we're not trusted to defend I think in that atmosphere.

Reaction Score
I should say Brea Beal has done the thing I've been so critical of which is develop the ability to hit wide open threes. Big development.

Reaction Score
I should say Brea Beal has done the thing I've been so critical of which is develop the ability to hit wide open threes. Big development.
She scared the crap outta me at the free throw line down the stretch

Reaction Score
Totally agree. Brea developing that 3 Ball shooting is huge development. That is going to be a game changer for you guys. Great win today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom