Gamecocks 2022-2023, part two | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022-2023, part two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

I thought there was good stuff in here where Dawn talks about how she wanted to play the best teams at Soith Carolina and how that meant she got humbled and took lots of lumps. But in taking the lumps each year she figured out what she needed to do coaching wise to compete.

Not a new topic for her but I hadn't quite heard her express it that way before.

Basically trial and errror being applied to stopping the opponent. Sort of like a Groundhog Day approach.

In that light, it really is generous of Geno and Tara and perhaps now Dawn to give other teams the opportunity to get used to what they do.

Reaction Score

I thought there was good stuff in here where Dawn talks about how she wanted to play the best teams at Soith Carolina and how that meant she got humbled and took lots of lumps. But in taking the lumps each year she figured out what she needed to do coaching wise to compete.

Not a new topic for her but I hadn't quite heard her express it that way before.

Basically trial and errror being applied to stopping the opponent. Sort of like a Groundhog Day approach.

In that light, it really is generous of Geno and Tara and perhaps now Dawn to give other teams the opportunity to get used to what they do.

She made the comment several years ago that she wasn’t scared of getting beat if it meant she learned something that would help her win down the road. It was an answer to a question about why she scheduled UConn every year back when the won 4 NCs in a row.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I know there’s rivalry between the fanbases but I give Tara, Geno, and Dawn a lot of credit for being willing to play anybody, anywhere.
C Viv was the same way back in the day. I miss those days.

Reaction Score
Cardoso is just a bad fit for these types of games. She is tremendously talented, but is so languid in how she plays the game: the steal from her late in the game, as she held the ball navel-high and stood there looking around, is a great example of what I'm saying. She plays a bit too non-sense of urgency. I don't want to call her slow or lazy or unaware, but opponents who are quick and aggressive can take advantage of her. Brink was easily starting on the perimeter, and then quick-sprinting past Cardoso for easy layups at the basket early in the game, because Brink was pretty fast at doing that, and Kamilla was too slow to respond. She can get away with doing that with smaller players, because she makes up for the distance with her great length. But Brink also has that length. Amihere was a bit like that her first 1-2 years at USC.

Olivia made some sense to me, and was a risky but "riverboat gambler" move for Staley. Cooke was struggling, and the post play was being stifled. South Carolina needed some outside scoring to crack open the stiff Cardinal defense in the paint, and Olivia came through with a big 3-pt shot in the 1st half.

A huge telling stat for the last 3 games played by both teams:

In the 2021 NCAAT Final Four, Stanford edged South Carolina by 1 point. They forced the Gamecocks into 11 turnovers - 8 from Cooke and Henderson. Not a whole lot, and Stanford had 12 of their own, but they edged South Carolina in points off of those TOs 11-10. One point, in a one-point win.

In last season's Gamecock win over the Cardinal, pretty much the same teams met again, this time in the regular season in Colonial Life Arena in Columbia. South Carolina forced Stanford into committing 20 turnovers compared to committing just 7 themselves, and out-scored Stanford 26-6 off of those turnovers.

In today's game at Stanford, the Gamecocks again forced the Cardinal into committing 22 turnovers to just 11 for themselves, and out-scored the Cardinal 18-9 off of those TOs.....
Some good observations by you. Nice read.

Reaction Score
Amihere is working her way into a draft pick and if I'm a GM and don't have a special need I'd pick her in a heartbeat. She really missed 3 years of basketball from her JR year on between 2 ACLs and rehab. Her best basketball is ahead of her. I think Dawn has figured out her best position is outside so she can attack instead of in the paint. She's such a fierce competitor - and that sometimes works against her - but man, what an athlete. I love Victaria. but if LA can get going on a consistent basis she will take this team to another level. Fingers crossed for her, because there's not another young person that I know who has been through the trials that she has and keeps on going. And she just gives, gives, gives...to her school, her team, and her community (wherever her feet are at the time).

Reaction Score
Amihere is working her way into a draft pick and if I'm a GM and don't have a special need I'd pick her in a heartbeat. She really missed 3 years of basketball from her JR year on between 2 ACLs and rehab. Her best basketball is ahead of her. I think Dawn has figured out her best position is outside so she can attack instead of in the paint. She's such a fierce competitor - and that sometimes works against her - but man, what an athlete. I love Victaria. but if LA can get going on a consistent basis she will take this team to another level. Fingers crossed for her, because there's not another young person that I know who has been through the trials that she has and keeps on going. And she just gives, gives, gives...to her school, her team, and her community (wherever her feet are at the time).
She's a draft pick to my mind and she may well be a better pro when there perhaps will be more space minus junk defense and better pg play.

Reaction Score
10 dollars for this game or no? Ugh.
Stanford beat them by almost 40 so don't expect a very competitive game. It will be likely be on YouTube tonight if you don't want to pay.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
USC 33
Cal Poly 17
Half

Feagin and Cardoso yet to enter the game.

Reaction Score
Neither played.

?
I found it odd too. My initial thought is that Dawn was trying to establish cohesion between different units and those two were not a part of those units she was testing out.

Reaction Score
I found it odd too. My initial thought is that Dawn was trying to establish cohesion between different units and those two were not a part of those units she was testing out.
Cooper got a lot of run in this game. Feagin will probably get increase minutes against Hampton if she does not have any issues. I am sure Dawn probably communicated to them before the game.

Reaction Score
Cooper looks really smooth. She reminds me of Saniya Rivers, only she made another 3. She‘s a great passer for sure. Raven, Coop and Lay will be fun to watch the next few years.

Reaction Score
Loyal MCQueen played for GT. I don’t remember what/if she was ranked but Dawn didn’t offer.

I’m an anti-label person. My only under armor is gamecock gear. I have a 20 year old Nike sweatsuit somebody gave me that I rarely wear. Maybe I can sell it on line as a “Retro” collectible.
Call it vintage. I've seen clothing listed as vintage selling well.

Reaction Score

Brea Beal is one of my top 5 players to watch. Last night she had like 5 blocks and each time u thought the offensive player was by her.

I should add it semi pains me to say this as a Huskies fan

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Brea Beal is one of my top 5 players to watch. Last night she had like 5 blocks and each time u thought the offensive player was by her.

I should add it semi pains me to say this as a Huskies fan

She is on a mission this season! IMO she looks like the most improved player on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom