Game thread | Page 30 | The Boneyard

Game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How is it ALL (again, I emphasis your word ALL) on the coaches??
It's not all on the coaches. And for the difference in the second half, it sure didn't hurt that Carder hurt his hand early 3rd quarter.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
We are no longer a lock for a bowl game. We'll beat Buffalo, even by playing as poorly as we did today, but no BE games are automatic.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Because we were lethargic and not ready to play. The coaches failed to motivate the team like they got the players up for Maryland and North Carolina State.

Oh bullcrap. That's on the players.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't even know what to say. Let's get past the fact that the Whitmer fumble was a bull$#it call, because his arm was going forward. The bottom line is that the offense put up 24 points but left at least 10 on the field (missed field goal, interception at the 2 yard line) and the defense for the second straight year made Carder look like Dan Marino.

If there is one positive that came out of this game, let's hope that we've seen the last of the wildcat. Finally, the coaching staff seems to understand that this offense cannot function properly if it continues with that f$%king wildcat. Removing it was why our offense finally looked competent in the fourth quarter. God, I'm going to bury myself in a bottle of whiskey right now...

Reaction Score
If there is one positive that came out of this game, let's hope that we've seen the last of the wildcat. Finally, the coaching staff seems to understand that this offense cannot function properly if it continues with that f$%king wildcat. Removing it was why our offense finally looked competent in the fourth quarter. God, I'm going to bury myself in a bottle of whiskey right now...

Really hope you are right about this.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
I don't even know what to say. Let's get past the fact that the Whitmer fumble was a bull$#it call, because his arm was going forward. The bottom line is that the offense put up 24 points but left at least 10 on the field (missed field goal, interception at the 2 yard line) and the defense for the second straight year made Carder look like Dan Marino.

I didn't see it that way. Ball came out before the arm started forward.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
We'll agree to disagree.

That's cool. I am not letting the coaches off the hook, as I definitely do not see PP showing any kind of emotion, but the players played like they were all at parties last night.

Reaction Score
Interception at the 4 was a killer. The inability to fire off the ball on D, remembering how inspired we were v Maryland, was inexcusable against this O line of WMU. The letdown was palpable. Lack of motivation and effort is a coaching problem.

Reaction Score
Thus begins the end of the Paul Pasqualoni era.

If he cannot even keep me on board, he has no hope for Warde Manual. He will soon see the 34000 decline to 28000. I see the future ... and like a bandaid, it's better to rip it off than to whine on a slow pull.
Pudge, this is so well said. He lost me at UMass, when I didn't see or feel any real ''energy" in the offense. There should be that.

Reaction Score
Davis should never leave the field unless he is completely gassed. By falling behind we had to throw which should help Whitmer and the wideouts. Things aren't perfect, especially worrisome is the deep throws but it's hard to have a good passing game when you rarely do it. Maybe they got some confidence in their abilities today. Now we need a RB with breakaway speed.

Reaction Score
Question for you guys as I saw the onside kick late.......what were Nick Williams and a couple other Huskies doing not getting in the scrum?? It looked like if they dove in they may have been able to get the ball.....I know there's no need to worry about the recovery and someone getting a TD because once they recovered and you have no TO's it's over......all in right? Just curious, maybe they were too far away....??

Reaction Score
McCombs never gives you the impression that he can take one the distance. Even on his long run today he looked like he was jogging as defenders cut the field on him.

Reaction Score
Can't believe we had to lose to a MAC team in order to figure out that we can in fact trust our QB and friends to throw the ball. Deleone blew it again in my book for putting us down 17 plus points with his vanilla uncreative play calling in the 1st quarter and a half....O line needs to improve obviously but play calling finally got a little diverse in the 2nd half. I think P had enough of it and laid into GD at halftime........ Can't believe our D got burnt like that though....giving up 24 to a MAC team.... NO pressure (1 sack)....allowing way to many quick hitters........The only thing I can take as a positive from losing a game to an inferior opponent, is that at least GD may realize his play calling was way to conservative and he needs to start throwing the ball downfield more in order to open up the run game....rather than vice versa.....

Reaction Score
Some UConn players were on the other side of the kicker. Not sure if Nick and the other guy were coming from that direction or just hanging back, have to see the replay.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
McCombs never gives you the impression that he can take one the distance. Even on his long run today he looked like he was jogging as defenders cut the field on him.

I love it. McCombs goes for 119 and an average of over 5 yards per carry, and HE'S the problem. Yeah, right...

Reaction Score
I love it. McCombs goes for 119 and an average of over 5 yards per carry, and HE'S the problem. Yeah, right...
He is not the problem. Not even close. But do you think it would be okay to let someone else show what they could do for a change?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
He is not the problem. Not even close. But do you think it would be okay to let someone else show what they could do for a change?

But you understand what you're saying, right? You're saying, "I know McCombs averaged over 5 yards per carry, but let's try someone else out in order to see if they could have averaged 6 yards per carry..." In case you aren't aware (and I'm sure you are, because you are a good poster), 5 yards per carry is a fantastic stat. He is one of the few that shouldn't have this game put on him...

Reaction Score
He had his best game Dan. It was WMU's defense. He broke a long run today, prolly his first of the year. I'm not expecting someone to average six yards a carry, I would like to see someone get a chance to show that they wont go down from every ankle tackle. Or get tackled by arm tackles every single time. I think McCombs could be a STAR in an offense that utlitized him in space, but we try to use him like a battering ram. I know that approach cannot make sense to you.

Reaction Score
Someone should send this thread to that NC State writer who said football is an afterthought here.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
He had his best game Dan. It was WMU's defense. He broke a long run today, prolly his first of the year. I'm not expecting someone to average six yards a carry, I would like to see someone get a chance to show that they wont go down from every ankle tackle. Or get tackled by arm tackles every single time. I think McCombs could be a STAR in an offense that utlitized him in space, but we try to use him like a battering ram. I know that approach cannot make sense to you.

That approach DOES NOT make sense to me, either. You're acting as if the kid can't run North-South, but we've seen a year and a half of evidence that indeed he can!! The idea that he makes nobody miss is preposterous! We use him primarily North-South, and he was a 1200 yard rusher last year and he went for a buck twenty today. I'm just not sure why everyone looks at the running back as the problem today when it was everything but that. He even did a nice job blocking today!

Reaction Score
That approach DOES NOT make sense to me, either. You're acting as if the kid can't run North-South, but we've seen a year and a half of evidence that indeed he can!! The idea that he makes nobody miss is preposterous! We use him primarily North-South, and he was a 1200 yard rusher last year and he went for a buck twenty today. I'm just not sure why everyone looks at the running back as the problem today when it was everything but that. He even did a nice job blocking today!
Its not anything that you posted that I objected to. I just can't see where McCombs is SO GOOD, that no one else can get a carry. This isn't Donald Brown, he is a good back, but others should get a chance to see if they could help the team as well.

Reaction Score
Its not anything that you posted that I objected to. I just can't see where McCombs is SO GOOD, that no one else can get a carry. This isn't Donald Brown, he is a good back, but others should get a chance to see if they could help the team as well.

I am a huge McCombs supporter, but I agree that he needs a complimentary back. It has nothing to do with his size or abilities. But getting a back 8-10 carries a game would be a good thing and keep McCombs fresh. However, I think the question shouldn't be whether McCombs is SO GOOD. It's whether his backups are SO BAD at this point in their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom