Game of Thrones Season 8 | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Game of Thrones Season 8

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Overall, I think most of us are not frustrated with the ultimate conclusions, but how we got there. Yes, there has been foreshadowing throughout the series of Dany becoming the Mad Queen, but this episode it almost felt like she didn't care about the iron throne as much anymore and just wanted to kill everybody because they killed Missandei and because she could- what/who is she going to rule over now?. The whole Jaime, Euron, and Cersei parts were all dumb.

Reaction Score
Overall, I think most of us are not frustrated with the ultimate conclusions, but how we got there. Yes, there has been foreshadowing throughout the series of Dany becoming the Mad Queen, but this episode it almost felt like she didn't care about the iron throne as much anymore and just wanted to kill everybody because they killed Missandei and because she could- what/who is she going to rule over now?. The whole Jaime, Euron, and Cersei parts were all dumb.

I think that's it. All of the recent actions around her led to her making emotional, "mad" decisions and she'll now realize she has nothing left to rule as a result. She'll be alone, no lover, no friends, no confidants sitting in a burned out castle. She burned it all to be the Queen.

Reaction Score
I'm curious as to what people expected? A season long battle of Winterfell? A full accounting of the campaign south?

Everyone complained about Dany loitering in Essos. Are they rushing, sure but what was really left to tell?

Every major battle was one episode. The long night has two run up eps and one aftermath. The battle of King's landing didn't need more. It actually needed less. Less Euron. less Arya dodging debris. But otherwise it delivered.

Tell me what's missing.
Yeah this is where I'm at, I get wanting to take it slow and people feeling like it's rushed with them getting King's Landing, etc. But there's no other option, every other character they could cut to while they "travel" is dead

Reaction Score
Overall, I think most of us are not frustrated with the ultimate conclusions, but how we got there. Yes, there has been foreshadowing throughout the series of Dany becoming the Mad Queen, but this episode it almost felt like she didn't care about the iron throne as much anymore and just wanted to kill everybody

As Varys said about Littlefinger at one point -- "he would see this country burn if he could be king of the ashes . . ."

crazyUCfan23

Reaction Score
As Varys said about Littlefinger at one point -- "he would see this country burn if he could be king of the ashes . . ."
good point. I guess I just wish there was more to the episode than just watching kings landing burn. I wanted to cersei to have a more satisfying death; having her and jaime embrace as the castle collapses on them seems cheap.

crazyUCfan23

Reaction Score
I think that's it. All of the recent actions around her led to her making emotional, "mad" decisions and she'll now realize she has nothing left to rule as a result. She'll be alone, no lover, no friends, no confidants sitting in a burned out castle. She burned it all to be the Queen.
That's true. I'm interested to see how next episode unfolds with Dany, Tyrion, and Jon. How will Dany try to defend her actions? Does she execute Tyrion for letting Jaime out? Does Jon kill Dany? or maybe Arya? Is Sansa going to show up in Kings Landing next episode?

Reaction Score
good point. I guess I just wish there was more to the episode than just watching kings landing burn. I wanted to cersei to have a more satisfying death; having her and jaime embrace as the castle collapses on them seems cheap.

Can't argue with any of that.

Reaction Score
That's true. I'm interested to see how next episode unfolds with Dany, Tyrion, and Jon. How will Dany try to defend her actions? Does she execute Tyrion for letting Jaime out? Does Jon kill Dany? or maybe Arya? Is Sansa going to show up in Kings Landing next episode?

I feel like Grey Worm looking back and seeing Jon not automatically defending his Queen's wishes to massacre them all will get back to Dany. She really has no one other than Grey Worm on her side right now.

Reaction Score
I can live with Drogon being much more effective in this episode. Euron got the jump on Rhaegal. Drogon has 3 dimensions to move in, while the scorpions are fixed structures. Advantage: Drogon.

What was Arya supposed to do against fire and collapsing buildings? The point of that scene was showing how the killer that took out the Night King was helpless in the chaos of this war.

Drogon had a rider. The two dragons that were brought down didn't. Why is it hard to believe that a human being riding the dragon might make them a better weapon than their own intelligence and instinct? If the rider doesn't make them more effective, why would anyone ride them?

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
The transformation seemed over the top because she didn’t just exact revenge, she eviscerated the city she ultimately wanted to rule. Would have made more sense to have her just cross the line enough to lose Jon Snow’s loyalty , but then have the city burn completely because of wildfire.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Khaleesi is more popular than Danaerys, but same idea.

I think we will find out on Sunday that Danaerys' BBQ was more calculating than we are giving her credit for. It was done to teach the world, and her advisors, a lesson.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

I think we will find out on Sunday that Danaerys' BBQ was more calculating than we are giving her credit for. It was done to teach the world, and her advisors, a lesson.
It’s all for nothing though. Either she rules over rubble, or she gets killed for being the mad queen.

Reaction Score

The final episode will make or break what's happened to date in this season.

The "lesson" is similar to what Olenna said to Jamie before she died. All the scheming and backstabbing and posturing doesn't matter when one person is willing to burn it all to achieve/keep power.

Reaction Score

I think the point of it was that it wasn't calculated. It was her giving in to her emotions and character flaws and doing something really stupid. She has one ally left in the world after that stunt: the Unsullied.

Ayra wants to kill her.
Tyrion chose his family over Dany's forces.
Jon sure as hell isn't supporting her after all that.
Sansa already hated her.

She turned into what she vowed to never become. That's why she had the support of all these various allies: she'd be a fair and just ruler. Now that she proved that she'll be just another terrible ruler, those allies are going to peace out.

Reaction Score
Dumb things I’ve been thinking about:

Does the North revert back to a more normal climate without the Night King around? I’m probably misremembering but wasn’t it all lush and green when the Children of the Forest first created him? (Could’ve just been summer I guess)

Benioff and Weiss said they didn’t want to give us Dany’s POV through much of her decimation of King’s Landing because they wanted us to feel the horror of war and how chaotic and frightening it would be on the ground as the city was razed. I think they realized it would just be too silly hearing her say “Dracarys” a million times. “Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys!”

I was most bummed that Cersei didn’t get much of a comeuppance. I would’ve had it that Jaime got to her around the same time as Sandor reaches her and Gregor. Then they could’ve forced she and Jaime to go up with a stairwell collapse or something as the Cleganes did their thing on the unreachable side of those steps. Would’ve been more dramatic and satisfying if Dany and Drogon caught up to them on the top of some spire before they tried to throw themselves off, only to be snapped up in midair by the dragon and ripped apart above the city for all to see.

Reaction Score
The final episode will make or break what's happened to date in this season.

The "lesson" is similar to what Olenna said to Jamie before she died. All the scheming and backstabbing and posturing doesn't matter when one person is willing to burn it all to achieve/keep power.
Olenna told her to be a dragon. This is all her fault!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It’s all for nothing though. Either she rules over rubble, or she gets killed for being the mad queen.

I think it will be A. She is going to become aware of Varys' chain letters in the next episode, and she may have to kill Jon Snow. After that, she would be an illegitimate Queen dependent on terror to keep her throne.

The show could end with a lot of symmetry with the beginning of Robert's Rebellion. There would be a hostile North (Sansa) allied with the Vale and Storm's End (Gendry & Arya). The Lannister Hand, Tyrion, would return to Casterly Rock just like Tywin did when he resigned working for the Mad King. And the Targaryan ruler would have very few allies. All that fighting and dying, and nothing would have changed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Did you have to look long and hard to find a review that stupid? Another Fanboy reviewer angry that there won't be a royal wedding in the final episode. Do you realize how bad it would have sucked if Game of Thrones ended cleanly?

Here is a more measured analysis.

Reaction Score
I think it has been great and very satisfying. Not that anyone cares about my $0.02. I will add that I never previously watched the showrunners insights after till this final season and really makes me appreciate things a bit more.

Reaction Score
FWIW all the spoilers were right. I read them bc I gave up on this crap show and I am not even really bummed that I did.

D and D are at fault because they had the opportunity from HBO to finish the series in 2 more full seasons but wanted to move on.

Every Euron scene was stupid. The entire Jaime arc was ruined with one scene. Neither of the much alluded to prophecies came true. Tyrion rats out Varys for treason and immediately committed treason. Varys is the master of spiders and straight up admits his collusion to John. So much stupid rushed writing.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Also the way Cersei died doesn't mirror the witch's prophecy, unless I'm missing some interpretation

The Valonqar Prophecy says: When your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.”

George R.R. Martin says ‘Valonqar’ means ‘younger sibling’, which could be either her twin brother Jaime (born after her) or Tyrion, whose relationship with Cersei is already toxic.

As last night played out, Jamie (her younger sibling) had his hands "around her throat" as she was crying and the crumbling stone choked the life out of her. So, you could say, that's exactly what happened. And, Jamie's hand placement isn't a coincidence.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think we will find out on Sunday that Danaerys' BBQ was more calculating than we are giving her credit for.

Yeah.
And Sansa is smart,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom