Game Analysis - UConn vs South Carolina | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Game Analysis - UConn vs South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, I’m just spit ballin’ here, but I’d say doing this twice, probably gives her an argument.

View attachment 83765
But what beside winning 2 NCs makes her a great coach? Geno's won 11. What adjective would you use for him?

How long has she been coaching? Does she have a coaching tree? Has Staley kept the top recruits at SC instead of transferring? Does she always make the best substitutions? Does she start the right 5? Does she call timeouts at the best times? Are others trying to emulate her offense? etc. etc. etc. There are other criteria of course. I just picked some and in no particular order of importance..

IMO, there are a number of very good coaches but very few great coaches in WBB. Tara is the only one who I might put in the same class as Geno.

Reaction Score
But what beside winning 2 NCs makes her a great coach? Geno's won 11. What adjective would you use for him?

How long has she been coaching? Does she have a coaching tree? Has Staley kept the top recruits at SC instead of transferring? Does she always make the best substitutions? Does she start the right 5? Does she call timeouts at the best times? Are others trying to emulate her offense? etc. etc. etc. There are other criteria of course. I just picked some and in no particular order of importance..

IMO, there are a number of very good coaches but very few great coaches in WBB. Tara is the only one who I might put in the same class as Geno.
Here's a question: How many coaches in the history of WCBB have more than 2 NC's? How many years are you giving her to get to your lofty perch of great coaches? Didn't it take Geno 10 years to win his first? 38 years to win 11?
Here's a good one- how many years for John Wooden to win his first? You'll be surprised.
Golf trivia- used to be really surprising- # of golfers with 3 or more majors- incredibly short list
Baseball trivia- before PED's- # of players with 50 or more homers in a season. Really short list

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Could we sound any more petty? Geez.

Geno, Dawn, Tara, Muffet, Pat, Debbie Ryan, Leon Barmore, and many more are or were outstanding coaches. Dawn being considered a great coach takes nothing away from Geno any more than Geno being a great coach takes anything away from Pat Summitt.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Great analysis. I do have questions regarding your player comparisons: Muhl vs Cooke? I think most agree that Muhl IS CT's PG - she was after all slotted in to replace Bueckers, who is CT's PG1. Muhl leads the Huskies in apg, and typically has the ball in her hands when the game starts.

So why choose Zia? None of those apply to her. Zia is the SG1 for the Gamecocks. USC's PG1 and 2 are Keirra Fletcher and Raven Johnson. They have platooned from the very start of the season, with one or the other earning the starter's role based on how they played over the other. Initially Fletcher's upperclass experience earned her the starts, and she's started 19 of the 21 games they've played. Johnson however has been earning more mpg with every game, and is averaging slightly more now than Fletcher. She's almost to the point of winning the starting job.

Fletcher and Johnson have accounted for around 80% of the PG duties this season, with each getting around 40% each. The other 20% or so have gone to Cooke, Amihere, and Beal. They have only rarely been moved to a non-PG position in games, and when that has happened, it was when BOTH were in the game at the same time - mostly to give Cooke a spell. But that's only been rare.

Fletcher has shown that mature experience in handling the ball and getting the starting unit moving forward offensively to start games, and to start 2nd halves. She hasn't led the team in assists, but has a decent 38 assists to 21 turnovers, averaging 4.2 ppg and 3.7 rpg. She shoots 72% from the foul line and 40% from the field, but is NOT a 3-pt. shooter AT ALL. Raven is currently leading the team in apg (3.3) and spg (1.3) - she averages 3.6 ppg and 2.6 rpg for the season, but in 9 SEC gms that has improved to 5.0 ppg and 3.0 rpg. Johnson has 66 assists to only 27 TOs, good for a 2.4:1 A:TO ratio - since SEC play began, she's collected 30 assists to 13 turnovers. Johnson had a horrific time during the OOC schedule with her shooting, but is now shooting 50% from the field in SEC play, and 33% from the 3-pt. line.

Combined, that makes the PG position of Fletcher and Johnson averaging 7.6 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 5.0 apg with a 2.2 A:TO, and 2.0 spg. Cooke is actually 3rd on the team in assists overall, and since conference play began, is 5th against conf. opponents in assists. Beal is actually the top player after Fletcher and Johnson in this category: she has 50 assists to only 18 turnovers. In SEC play she has 23 assists to only 9 turnovers.

I would compare Muhl to Fletcher, with the understanding that Fletcher's PG role is to rotate with Johnson, not just for foul trouble, breather breaks, etc. I think Bettencourt mostly subs in for Muhl, doesn't she? Lopez Senechal has 26 assists and 26 turnovers in conference play....she is NOT CT's PG1.

But she is the more offensive-minded guard for the Huskies, similar to Cooke. I would compare those two players against each other....
I don't know why, but, it just seems strange, having a South Carolina fan come in and help us figure out how this game would or should go. Just strange.

Reaction Score
I don't know why, but, it just seems strange, having a South Carolina fan come in and help us figure out how this game would or should go. Just strange.

Gotta keep 'em seperated! ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Well, I notice that you are “evolving” your position over time. My original position was that Stanley is one of the best coaches in the game today. Frankly, I think that’s indisputable. You started out saying that Staley was not a great coach, but now you’re saying she’s not as good as Geno. Those are different things. It makes me suspect you realize your original position was unsustainable.

So, yeah, winning two national championships pretty much does make you a great coach. The list of those who have two or more national championships has a pretty short one. But you realize, that isn’t the only thing Staley has ever done as a coach, right? Her résumé is pretty impressive. Take a look at Wikipedia if you’re actually curious. Suggesting that a two time national championship coach isn’t a great coach is well, kind of a silly position to take.

I’ll never understand the need of some to verify the opposing team in the opposing coach. It’s OK to acknowledge that Staley is one of the best coaches in the game today and this South Carolina team as being an exceptionally good team. That doesn’t make Auriemma any worse a coach, or take anything away from the really heroic effort UConn has made this year. I was going to say, that’s just my opinion, but pretty much it’s everyone else’s as well.

Feel free to have the last word.

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score
I disagree, it was IMHO very helpful information. Many of folks on this board (including me) know a lot about UConn players, coaches, game plans and plays, evolution and current status, etc. but with far less comparable knowledge about other teams. @ConwayGmck thank you for the insights!

Reaction Score
I hope the ref's call a very tight game and that playing away negatively affects Scar's execution by causing them to have jitters.
I'd rather see the game won by good playmaking & shooting ability instead of by which team can play rougher & get away with it.
That would surprise me, Boston normally gets the Michael Jordan treatment…but, hoping for a tightly called game especially for Lou - our only true outside threat on the floor, who, I expect they’ll run ragged.

Reaction Score
Nice! Thanks for reminding an old Marylander about the longtime Bullet, Wes Unseld.
I was thinking about a player playing out of position. AE is not a 5 and never will be a 5. Boston is a 5. I’d love to see AE develop into a 3. How about a Sheryl Swoopes/Cheryl Miller type.
Wes played center. Gus Johnson and later the Big E were his power forwards. Height versus girth. Wes was a load.
All-time great rebounder and passer.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Nice! Thanks for reminding an old Marylander about the longtime Bullet, Wes Unseld.
I was thinking about a player playing out of position. AE is not a 5 and never will be a 5. Boston is a 5. I’d love to see AE develop into a 3. How about a Sheryl Swoopes/Cheryl Miller type.
Wes played center. Gus Johnson and later the Big E were his power forwards. Height versus girth. Wes was a load.
All-time great rebounder and passer.
What do you do with Charles Barkley...undersized even for a forward.

Reaction Score
In this game we can only control what we can control and control our own destiny. We cant control the refs. We cant control the refs. We cant control the refs. OK They will call the game the way they want to and from what we've seen this year it will be physical. Foul trouble will not hurt SC as much as will hurt UConn so we must not get in foul trouble. This game is not about what SC does or the refs do its about what UConn can has to do to win.

So what do we have to do to win and can we do it. We have to be mentally and physically in the game. If were tired or exhausted that creates a problem for us and we have to play through it. We have to find a way to score down low and rebound. The last time we played SC we didnt have Dorka or Aubrey who both rebound well. They will have to rebound very well against SC. Aaliyah is a much better player this year too. We should be able to make the rebounding much closer then last season and we have to. We have to get Lou open and Nika and Aubrey have to score because we dont have Paige Azzi and Caroline on the floor. We have to limit TO's These are things we can control.

Over the past few games we have seen opponents pack it in and focus their defense on Lou. Expect something similar from SC. Geno needs a game plan to off set that. The advantage for UConn getting SC in foul trouble is not that players will have to sit because SC has so much depth the advantage will be is UConn will get to the line and score.

This is a very tall task in some fans mind for UConn. Im my mind we have the height, we are shooting at a very high percentage this season and we have the coach who will come up with the game plan. We need to play with patience confidence energy and execution and we should be fine. Hey we've been overcoming alot the past 12 months. This is just one more obstacle we have to overcome, and this one wont be easy but it is do-able
Tony C:

The refs do not call the game they WANT to; they call it the way they SEE it.

Reaction Score
What do you do with Charles Barkley...undersized even for a forward.
Not sure where this stuff is going. I just tried to point out that basically AE is out of position against Boston. Geno's center recruits don't pan out- Gabriel, Amari (so far). Liv was a 4 too. Did you get the Elvin Hayes- Alcindor historic matchup. Hayes was never a 5 for a minute. 6"8" versus 7'2". And he erupted in the first matchup. Maybe AE will have such an effort tomorrow.
What about Barkley? Did he get matched up as a 5? Not in Philly- they had Chocolate Thunder and Caldwell Jones at center. Barkley was a freak- super long arms, girth, and he could jump out of the gym. He was good from day 1. What a force on the boards. Before he improved his shot.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Not sure where this stuff is going. I just tried to point out that basically AE is out of position against Boston. Geno's center recruits don't pan out- Gabriel, Amari (so far). Liv was a 4 too. Did you get the Elvin Hayes- Alcindor historic matchup. Hayes was never a 5 for a minute. 6"8" versus 7'2". And he erupted in the first matchup. Maybe AE will have such an effort tomorrow.
What about Barkley? Did he get matched up as a 5? Not in Philly- they had Chocolate Thunder and Caldwell Jones at center. Barkley was a freak- super long arms, girth, and he could jump out of the gym. He was good from day 1. What a force on the boards. Before he improved his shot.
Point is he was undersized and he ended up being one of the top 50 players in the history of the NBA.

Reaction Score
Point is he was undersized and he ended up being one of the top 50 players in the history of the NBA.
Barkley and Unseld were not undersized. They were shorter than their counterparts but wider and stronger. The misconception is that size is only in one dimension.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Barkley and Unseld were not undersized. They were shorter than their counterparts but wider and stronger. The misconception is that size is only in one dimension.
Hmmm, let's see now Barkley clocks in at #3 of the greatest undersized players to ever play in the NBA. Charles Barkley, as a Power Forward has been listed anywhere from 6'4 to 6'6, but most people say that he was around 6'4. However, the Round Mound of Rebound always played bigger than he really was. For someone so stocky, Barkley possessed an unusual amount of athleticism.

No. 3: Charles Barkley, PF​

23 OF 25

1. 8 May 1994:  Charles Barkley of the Phoenix Suns during the Suns versus Denver Nuggets game at the McNicoles Arena in Denver, Colorado.  Mandatory Credit: Tim Defrisco/Allsport

Tim DeFrisco/Getty Images
    Charles Barkley's height has long been a point of contention among basketball fans, as it has been listed anywhere from 6'4" to 6'7". Nevertheless, during his career he was listed as 6'6" and 252 pounds, earning the nickname the Round Mound of Rebound.
    Among his accomplishments were 11 All-Star Teams, one All-NBA Third Team, five All-NBA Second Teams, five All-NBA First Teams and a lone NBA MVP award.
    Furthermore, he averaged a double-double during 15 of his 16 NBA seasons, ending up with per-game career averages of 22.1 points (54.1 percent shooting), 11.7 rebounds, 3.9 assists, 1.5 steals and 0.8 blocks.
    In 2006 he was enshrined into the Basketball Hall of Fame, where he will always be remembered as one of the all-time greatest undersized players in the NBA.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Tony C:

The refs do not call the game they WANT to; they call it the way they SEE it.
Let's hope we don't get the guys that did our game with Tennessee. I said they should have been suspended but I haven't heard anything. We can't afford a tight game, as Lou can get into trouble and Nika won't be nearly as effective.

Reaction Score
UCONN lost that game because the refs gave SC 22 more foul shots!
Because we can’t get them out of the lane. 6 players standing underneath, 3 on each team, one team has the height and strength advantage, sorry, it’s pretty easy analysis. You gotta foul. We have to strategize a way to get their bigs away from the basket. There are ways, we just gotta do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom