Gabby (Migraine) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gabby (Migraine)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She had a migraine, which I didn't know at the time because ESPN implied that she was " benched" because of performance. The post became moot at that point.
I will make sure I "clear my opinions" with you going forward as no one is allowed to have a different one.
It is perfectly ok to have a different opinions and express them. But then don't whine when someone else considers them ridiculous and calls you out on it.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Sitting a senior during the biggest game of the year, is very harsh. Gabby most likely will never get the opportunity to play ND again.
The kids are only there for only 4 years, so to take something that away from a great player was very un-fair

When UCONN gets to the final four in March/April, look around you will see the Irish. Gabby gets to play them again. QUESTION: Take one big game away from one player or lose the game for all of the players because of the poor play of one player whose feeling you have concern for (but apparently not for all of the players)?

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Let's note that in her limited minutes Gabby had more assists (5) than any teammate...and 5 rebounds.

So what did Geno see to take her out of the game?

Reaction Score
Poor, Gabby...had to sit there for half the game with Rebecca reliving her days in the Geno Doghouse...

How could anyone get the idea this Spartan is suddenly a head-case?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Arse, she had a headache and thats why she didn't play. So the comment becomes, "Geno, as that the great coach that he is, wouldn't bench an All American senior , in a big game, because of a bad pass in the first half.'
Calling people's opinion, even though it was it was based on faulty info, " Dumb" Stupid" or Ridiculous is just a troll
So basically don't want anyone to disagree with your opinion (faulty as it was, by your own admission), but it's fine for you to call them trolls if they do.

Interesting point of view.

Reaction Score
Anybody at the game see anything to add to why Geno benched Gabby? I saw a terrible pass and some poor defense. But to bench her for the entire 2nd half? Strong.

How can he not start Z after the way she is playing? I suspect Gabby comes off the bench now. Thoughts?
I watched the game pretty closely on tape, looking for Gabby in particular. I think the truth is; she had a migraine and that impacted her play. Other than the one horrible pass ( very un-Gabby like ), she was doing fine. Her three point shot was not dropping, but that is a new skill for her anyway. I know that Geno will use poor play as a teaching moment ( benching in a big game ), but I am more of the belief that a migraine was the issue. A wide receiver on the NY Giants recentlymissed two game due to a migraine.

Reaction Score
Sitting a senior during the biggest game of the year, is very harsh. Gabby most likely will never get the opportunity to play ND again.
The kids are only there for only 4 years, so to take something that away from a great player was very un-fair
I agree with you, but your not going to convince some of the diehards on this board.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Check out the title of the thread!

Check out Geno's post game presser where when asked if he knew Gabby had a migraine and was playing well would he have taken her out of the game. Geno's response was no, he would not have taken her out of the game because her good play would have been an indicator to him that she was handling the migraine and could stay in the game. Sooooooo, I repeat; what did Geno see other than 5 rebounds and 5 assists and a terrible attempted pass to Danger that caused him to take Gabby out of game and bench her for the balance of the game? You have an answer? No! I guess only Geno knows. Which is why he is the coach of coaches and we are not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn82 said:
[ ... How can he not start Z after the way she is playing? I suspect Gabby comes off the bench now. Thoughts? ]

I think that might be getting way ahead of things. Gabby is a senior and does too many things too well to not start her. Unless the migraines are debilitating I would not do anything to mess with her role or possibly, her confidence.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Poor, Gabby...had to sit there for half the game with Rebecca reliving her days in the Geno Doghouse...

How could anyone get the idea this Spartan is suddenly a head-case?

Head-case? She gets migraines and she has admitted to issues with confidence. Is this being a head case? I heard several Hall of Fame pros say they had times of doubt and lost confidence. World class athletes have had issues with confidence and dealt with it. I don't see this as a head-case issue. Diva NBA players and WR in the NFL are more likely to be head-case by my definition.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After watching the last few games I thought something has been off with Gabby. Though she has played well there was something missing. I thought at her homecoming game she looked not herself. Sloppy passes, body language even yesterdays game. When you follow this team you get to know the players and I just feel like she hasn't been herself and I know they all can't have a perfect game . Hoping she gets some relief for the Migranes. Smart call for Geno to leave her on the bench. If she's not feeling well and it's showing in her play then put someone else in. They have to learn to adjust and play. I was sitting on the edge of my chair clapping and yelling at the TV. What a great finish for the girls. Go Huskies!!!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Arse, she had a headache and thats why she didn't play.

Yo arse caller! NOT true! In the Post game presser Geno said if she was playing well and had a migraine she would have stayed in the game because her good play would have been an indicator she was handling the effects of the migaine just fine. So she sat on the bench because Geno felt Gabby's poor play indicated she was not handling her migraine well.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I suffer from occasional migraines (which is very different from 'chronic'), and they are mostly chemical triggered. One thing that doesn't often get suggested in US medicine, but which is very effective at least in treating migraines is acupuncture. Wonder if Gabby has ever tried that. When I have had a migraine and had access to treatment it has cleared it in about 15 minutes. Even good acupressure treatment can be very effective with the most common point in the area between the thumb and first finger.

And definitely not surprised Gabby was put on the bench - I cannot imagine trying to play basketball with a serious migraine, I would end up losing my lunch in no time.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
HCGA was quite clear in the post-game press conference. If Gabby had been playing well, migraine and all, she would have stayed in the game. This was the removal of an an ineffective player who was suffering from a significant medical issue that was affecting her play.

I certainly hope that they get to the bottom of what's causing these migraines because we are such a better team with her in the mix.

Thank you! I have been posting the same thing. But since it is fact it doesn't get the same traction as an opinion.

Reaction Score
Check out Geno's post game presser where when asked if he knew Gabby had a migraine and was playing well would he have taken her out of the game. Geno's response was no, he would not have taken her out of the game because her good play would have been an indicator to him that she was handling the migraine and could stay in the game. Sooooooo, I repeat; what did Geno see other than 5 rebounds and 5 assists and a terrible attempted pass to Danger that caused him to take Gabby out of game and bench her for the balance of the game? You have an answer?

I don't know but here are a few I'll throw out.

1-- She didn't shoot well.
2-- UCONN got wiped out on the glass 1st half. Maybe it was some of her play despite the fact she had 5 rebounds? For example ND had almost as many Offensive rebounds that UCONN had total rebounds.
3-- I can't recall but when ND got easy baskets, was Gabby getting beat - such as backdoors?
4-- A Gabby trademark is steals. She had none.

Ofc Gneo goes by body language too. And when he asked her how she was feeling she said as Geno quoted in some manner "she'd try to give it a go." It might not be total body language. But it gives us a view possibly of what Geno was thinking and add the above 4?

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I don't know but here are a few I'll throw out.

1-- She didn't shoot well.
2-- UCONN got wiped out on the glass 1st half. Maybe it was some of her play despite the fact she had 5 rebounds? For example ND had almost as many Offensive rebounds that UCONN had total rebounds.
3-- I can't recall but when ND got easy baskets, was Gabby getting beat - such as backdoors?
4-- A Gabby trademark is steals. She had none.

Ofc Gneo goes by body language too. And when he asked her how she was feeling she said as Geno quoted in some manner "she'd try to give it a go." It might not be total body language. But it gives us a view possibly of what Geno was thinking and add the above 4?

She also threw some lazy passes and she had no spark. She played hard, but didn't have nearly the level of energy that she usually brings to the game.

Really a gutsy effort for her to try to play, but obviously the pain of the migraine impacted her.

Reaction Score
Head-case? She gets migraines and she has admitted to issues with confidence. Is this being a head case? I heard several Hall of Fame pros say they had times of doubt and lost confidence. World class athletes have had issues with confidence and dealt with it. I don't see this as a head-case issue. Diva NBA players and WR in the NFL are more likely to be head-case by my definition.
Did you suppose I was arguing that Gabby is a head-case? Rest easy, I was poking fun at those that might...

Reaction Score
Actually, you know, I should talk with her or her nutritionist.

I was a vegetarian for 16 years while working out alot (or vegan without dairy). It wasn't until I found a young nutritionist who added the one aspect I was missing and most vegetarians miss.

My friend is a surgeon at CHOMP (Monterey, CA hospital) - and also an athelete. He said immediately with the first cut through muscle tissue, he could tell if his patient was a vegetarian. Vegetarian tissue broke apart rather than gave a clean incision.

Creatine is what you get from red meat, and you need 5 gm a day to build muscle (I still take 5 gm twice a day after both long workouts). Creatine needs alpha-lipoic acid to move it into your system (Alpha-lipoic acid is what they refer to when we say, "An apple a day keeps the doc away.").

Taking both those in tandem with whey protein is a must for vegans, and yes, an unbalanced diet can cause mineral imbalance, easily.

I still do not eat red meat, but do chicken and fish no issue.
Yes, somewhat an art to diagnosing what causes migraines in each individual. For me, it was dark chocolate, red wine, and the aroma of certain flowers. Sometimes the lack of sleep is a trigger. Today, I rarely get migraines and have pills that eliminate the symptoms within minutes. Took awhile to figure things out but a good doctor can usually diagnose.

Reaction Score
I thought Gabby had a distressed look on her face during one of the timeouts when the starters sat on the bench.

Hope the headaches clear up.

Get well, Gabby!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom