Gabby (Migraine) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gabby (Migraine)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Now you took the trouble to read this thread up to that point, why not continue on and notice all the comments about Gabby's migraines issues. It was not about sending a message that she was on that bench.

Yeah, I mistakenly went down that rabbit hole in game. Confession is good for the soul.

Reaction Score
HCGA was quite clear in the post-game press conference. If Gabby had been playing well, migraine and all, she would have stayed in the game. This was the removal of an an ineffective player who was suffering from a significant medical issue that was affecting her play.

I certainly hope that they get to the bottom of what's causing these migraines because we are such a better team with her in the mix.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
We probably should close this thread. Geno did not bench her for performance. She had a migraine.
......which hurt her performance....she was not hustling on defense (as she usually does).

Reaction Score
Sometimes migraines are what they are. There is really no known cause, but they are the seventh leading cause of disability worldwide. There are certain lifestyles changes that may prevent their occurrence, but there are no guarantees. The can be associated with other disorders, such as anxiety, depression, asthma, stroke, and other pain disorders. They are treatable once they occur, but it may take several hours for the individual to return to normal. They can be very incapacitating. Most times, the individual is aware that an attack in coming by an aura, and they can identify the precipitating event. I feel bad if she is suffering from migraines. They are just so unpredictable.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Sitting a senior during the biggest game of the year, is very harsh. Gabby most likely will never get the opportunity to play ND again.
The kids are only there for only 4 years, so to take something that away from a great player was very un-fair
An OOC game in December is no no way the biggest game of the year when you are playing @ UConn.... Perspective!

Reaction Score
Geno made the move to win the game. To call his moves harsh - his style harsh in a critical manner is ridiculous. I think we can all agree he has won enough that to call him harsh is just ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I did not know she had a migrane. ESPN did not say anything, and posts up until mine mentioned nothing.

Why wasn't Holly Rowe giving us the inside scoop on why Gabby was sitting? I guess she thought Lobo had it all figured out.

Reaction Score
Why wasn't Holly Rowe giving us the inside scoop on why Gabby was sitting? I guess she thought Lobo had it all figured out.
I don't think Holly was at the game. Appeared to be a skeleton crew. Even the post-game with Geno was almost like someone just handed him a phone and said here talk to ESPN.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Maybe one of the mods can change the title of this thread to point out that Gabby was out in the 2nd half with a migraine.

Reaction Score
Geno made the move to win the game. To call his moves harsh - his style harsh in a critical manner is ridiculous. I think we can all agree he has won enough that to call him harsh is just ridiculous.
She had a migraine, which I didn't know at the time because ESPN implied that she was " benched" because of performance. The post became moot at that point.
I will make sure I "clear my opinions" with you going forward as no one is allowed to have a different one.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
That's what potassium was for.

Yes but Mg also, or more generally mineral depletion / imbalances -- including, potassium, magnesium, calcium and others(?) - since their absorption is inter-related

Reaction Score
Only the drama created by fans rushing to unfounded judgments.

This is an internet board, not the BBC. ESPN, televising one of the biggest womens game of the year, states Gabby is on the bench has not played at all in the second half. No explanation offered other than she had some turnovers.

So my original post, in response to the OP, was my feeling that it was harsh. Lame job by ESPN and by the post game courtside interview of Geno. Just think of all the interested UConn fans nationwide, that don't scour the BY, what thoughts went through their minds?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve said on another thread that I think Gabby’s migraines have persisted throughout the season as she has often looked to be in pain frequently in prior games. Even when she’s played well, we haven’t seen her smile much at all.

IMO, Gabby has been toughing it out for much of the season because she has a huge heart and doesn’t want to let down the team. I truly hope she can overcome the migraines and play at the brilliant level that she’s capable of.

Reaction Score
This is an internet board, not the BBC. ESPN, televising one of the biggest womens game of the year, states Gabby is on the bench has not played at all in the second half. No explanation offered other than she had some turnovers.

So my original post, in response to the OP, was my feeling that it was harsh. Lame job by ESPN and by the post game courtside interview of Geno. Just think of all the interested UConn fans nationwide, that don't scour the BY, what thoughts went through their minds?

yes-- let's think of all the fans - what their thoughts are- thinking nationwide of not the game but why Gabby didn't play the 2nd half and let's just say Geno is such a harsh guy.

Reaction Score
S
Sitting a senior during the biggest game of the year, is very harsh. Gabby most likely will never get the opportunity to play ND again.
The kids are only there for only 4 years, so to take something that away from a great player was very un-fair

I trust in the best women's basketball coach of all time! He knows exactly what he is doing. I suspect it was for Gabby's own good and ultimately the teams. Maybe playing the "going home" game in Nevada had something to do with it. She also suffers from Migranes. Gino Saw something in her play and body language that wasn't normal for Gabby. Sometimes these kids are not just hurting physically. I suspect the benching was more about what's going on between Gabby's ears.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes but Mg also, or more generally mineral depletion / imbalances -- including, potassium, magnesium, calcium and others(?) - since their absorption is inter-related

A single dose of Bone-Up (Jarrow) is 6 capsules. Whenever I get a migraine or cramp, I quickly down 6 of these. Releases in seconds. and yes, has all the above plus some. I carry them when I run or workout.

Reaction Score
A single dose of Bone-Up (Jarrow) is 6 capsules. Whenever I get a migraine or cramp, I quickly down 6 of these. Releases in seconds. and yes, has all the above plus some. I carry them when I run or workout.
I recall reading somewhere that she had drastically changed her diet in the past year which included eliminating meat and dairy?

Reaction Score
I recall reading somewhere that she had drastically changed her diet in the past year which included eliminating meat and dairy?

Actually, you know, I should talk with her or her nutritionist.

I was a vegetarian for 16 years while working out alot (or vegan without dairy). It wasn't until I found a young nutritionist who added the one aspect I was missing and most vegetarians miss.

My friend is a surgeon at CHOMP (Monterey, CA hospital) - and also an athelete. He said immediately with the first cut through muscle tissue, he could tell if his patient was a vegetarian. Vegetarian tissue broke apart rather than gave a clean incision.

Creatine is what you get from red meat, and you need 5 gm a day to build muscle (I still take 5 gm twice a day after both long workouts). Creatine needs alpha-lipoic acid to move it into your system (Alpha-lipoic acid is what they refer to when we say, "An apple a day keeps the doc away.").

Taking both those in tandem with whey protein is a must for vegans, and yes, an unbalanced diet can cause mineral imbalance, easily.

I still do not eat red meat, but do chicken and fish no issue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
S

I trust in the best women's basketball coach of all time! He knows exactly what he is doing. I suspect it was for Gabby's own good and ultimately the teams. Maybe playing the "going home" game in Nevada had something to do with it. She also suffers from Migranes. Gino Saw something in her play and body language that wasn't normal for Gabby. Sometimes these kids are not just hurting physically. I suspect the benching was more about what's going on between Gabby's ears.
The benching was for migranes. Watch the press conference

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
After reading this thread it is so comforting to know that not only does the BY have some of the top coaches in the country (good enough to give Geno advice), we also have some of the top doctors in the country too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom