Fudd is down to UCLA and UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Fudd is down to UCLA and UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“Wow, I kind of thought this could be the case since UCLA program is the only one she really follows on Twitter. I'm hoping this is the breakthrough UCLA needs as a program. Hope this is true but UConn? I just don't know if it will actually happen for UCLA but there's always a first. We need an adrenaline boost to the program and this would be it.”
Stolen from the Bruin report forum

Reaction Score
Now let me tell you what is going to happen. Azzi is going to set down with her mother and father and they are going to discuss what she is looking for academically, socially, culturally and and basketball wise. She is going to ask them their opinion as what they feel she should do and why.
Let’s remember that her mother played for Georgetown and against UConn in the Big East graduating in 2001. Her teams never came close to beating UConn and in her last game against UConn they were crushed 107-45.
So here’s the worst case scenario. She has held a grudge against Geno and CD all these years and this is her chance to get some revenge by encouraging her daughter to go to UCLA.
The more likely scenario is she is a fairly normal parent who would like to see her daughter play for the greatest coaches and program in the history of women’s college basketball. The fact that she has personal experience playing against these same coaches only helps. She played against UConn teams and players that are among the greatest in history. That 2001 team had Svet, Shea, Sue, Swin, Asjha, Tamika and DT. I bet she can imagine her daughter becoming part of something truly special at UConn. What parent wouldn’t want that.
I like our chances very much.

Reaction Score
Let’s remember that her mother played for Georgetown and against UConn in the Big East graduating in 2001. Her teams never came close to beating UConn and in her last game against UConn they were crushed 107-45.
So here’s the worst case scenario. She has held a grudge against Geno and CD all these years and this is her chance to get some revenge by encouraging her daughter to go to UCLA.
The more likely scenario is she is a fairly normal parent who would like to see her daughter play for the greatest coaches and program in the history of women’s college basketball. The fact that she has personal experience playing against these same coaches only helps. She played against UConn teams and players that are among the greatest in history. That 2001 team had Svet, Shea, Sue, Swin, Asjha, Tamika and DT. I bet she can imagine her daughter becoming part of something truly special at UConn. What parent wouldn’t want that.
I like our chances very much.
I also remember something from a few years back that Geno and CD compiled a montage of mom while at Georgetown and compared her form to her daughter’s (did not mention her name).

Reaction Score
I agree, I also think perennial football powers like Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, etc. will be just fine despite not being located in the sexiest marketing cities.
What?? Seriously? I matriculated at, and graduated from, OU precisely because Norman, Oklahoma is the sexiest marketing city in the world. SMH...

Reaction Score
Azzi must've really been impressed with UCLA and Cori Close when her and her mom made an unofficial visit last Oct. If I remember correctly, she visited Oregon on the same west coast trip and apparently it was UCLA that stuck out to her. If winning championships, get the best preparation for the pros, and growing the game are some of her main goals the choice is clearly UConn

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree, I also think perennial football powers like Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, etc. will be just fine despite not being located in the sexiest marketing cities.
Maybe not OK, as they dropped a game to Iowa State for the first time since 1960....

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

This is probably one of the main reasons Fudd is interested in UCLA, she could change her number to 30 and be like the female Steph Curry. But I see only about 4 people posted about it on there message board, either they don’t believe they have a chance or Women’s basketball just isn’t that big of a deal in WestWood.

SMU? Is this guy kidding, or is he a graduate? Likeness rule or not, SMU will return(?) to prominence just after Old Dominion.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Two great choices. Two very different choices. I've been to both campuses.

I went to the SC vs. UConn game at Gampel in Feb. 2017. My mom is an alum of UCLA and a big Bruin fan, I'm very familiar with Bruin sports and that campus having spent parts of my upbringing in LA. Those are two VERY different schools/campuses. UConn's is quiet and rural, almost serene and in a very beautiful area that's quintessential New England. I remember driving on backroads through all of these small hamlets to get to UConn's campus and just feeling like this is how New England looked during the Revoluntionary War.

She would get a very different experience at UCLA. Westwood is affluent, yet urban, but also hip and young. Just how UConn is in a quintessential New England area.. UCLA's campus is the quintessential American college campus. Close your eyes and visualize the ideal American college campus... there's a good chance you envisioned something similar to UCLA.

UConn for sure has it's charms and in the end Geno is a heck of a draw.. but I don't blame her for having a tough time. UCLA makes me want to do undergrad all over again every time I visit the campus.

Reaction Score
I think if it is true that Fudd is down to UConn and UCLA, I can't see her choosing UConn.

I don't understand this. I definitely can understand if on a visit - a school or coach - things click. However, a few months ago when I think there were posts regarding Maryland and some posters thought she would go there-- I couldn't see it unless if things clicked. But overall I thought UCONN had the advantage looking at basketball vs clicking.. It's this type of choice of UCLA that I could see. because this would be something new-- Maryland isn't new. But still - I still think the choice is UCONN though by no means a lock / near lock. / close to near lock etc. I have no idea.

But when you say "you can't see her choosing UConn?"

You mean you can't see her choosing to play with arguably the greatest WCBB coach ever, while playing with her best friend (what's better than sharing 4 years of your college life with your best friend while always being among top 2 teams competing for championships?), while playing in an uptempo style that favors her, game (i.e no matter who the opponent - the style of play of running upemtpo is her style no matter the opponent UCONN will play this favorable style), which I'm implying that right now her teammates at UCLA might force her to more slowdown games unless she is confident she can "recruit, as a result she can show off her game more, while the great coach has an incredible track record of improving great players like her, all the while winning championships in addition to she can't be singled out to get "beat up" at least in years 1-3, while the school has shown to be an excellent medical staff - but yet "you can't see her choosing UCONN?"

I say this in fun- this post is meant to be fun-- I mean overall who knows. But what I'm going to ask is fun only-- "Are you scared of the dark?" You made me partially blind with your comment because I can't see to the degree you are viewing this that you can't see her choosing UCONN. UCON has near-no shot? IS that what you're saying? We're in the top 2-- but it's really not even close to 50-50??????

Reaction Score
She made Oregon relevant and a popular school for WCBB players to attend. She took them from nowhere to somewhere. Look at the quality recruits Oregon is getting now. She said she did not want to go to a school that had an established program. She wanted to go where she could help establish a program and she was successful at doing that.

Everyone is different. And she had an incredible career - incredible. And yes she has made them relevant. But now it's up to Graves to keep his team at a level in which they can win titles. OFC he'll need a little time to rebuild into being top 5 type of team but right now he's behind Stanford.

The way S.C. go their title - he's got to knock off some Giant teams going forward. He is a great coach but if he doesn't imo long-term what Sabrina did will fade.

She didn't win a title. While it's not her fault-- it does mean something. And for example- the next Sabrina may not want to follow in Sabrina's footsteps. She may look up to Sabrina but wants make her own mark just like Sabrina. Or just go play for Tara.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We’re missing the real story here. Paige is currently calling/texting Azzi thirty-seven times a day. Azzi just decided to have a little fun with her BFF, while driving her nuts, by listing UCLA along with UConn as her final two schools. Of course, this will cause Paige to call/text Azzi fifty-seven times a day...., :rolleyes:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Wow alot of posts Folks it comes down to she's the number 1 player in her class. She plays BB. I would think no matter how beautiful UCLA is she gonna wanna be a great player and win championships. UConn does that. She will be developed beyond her years at UConn just like every other great player who has passed through Geno's program. She will have it all at UConn. Remember shes a BB player and mostly likely will choose UConn because of what UConn offers in WCBB. Its all about her future and future in BB.

Reaction Score
We’re missing the real story here. Paige is currently calling/texting Azzi thirty-seven times a day. Azzi just decided to have a little fun with her BFF, while driving her nuts, by listing UCLA along with UConn as her final two schools. Of course, this will cause Paige to call/text Azzi fifty-seven times a day...., :rolleyes:
As long as Azzi doesn't put Paige on her do not call list! Ha!

Reaction Score
SMU? Is this guy kidding, or is he a graduate? Likeness rule or not, SMU will return(?) to prominence just after Old Dominion.
I am pretty sure he means SMU football.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How's UCLA's womens rowing team after it "lost" those 2 premier freshman rowers? UCLA is a fine university but the air around the topic is a tad saccharin.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I tried, she won’t return my calls. :(
I wonder if your calls appear as "Scam Likely" on Ms. Fudd's phone. You might need to invest in a phone number hacking app. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just how UConn is in a quintessential New England area.. UCLA's campus is the quintessential American college campus. Close your eyes and visualize the ideal American college campus... there's a good chance you envisioned something similar to UCLA.
A friend of mine coached an girls AAU basketball team and he was looking team building ideas. I suggest a road trip to Storrs to the the the woman's team play at Gampel. He went and everyone raved about the experience. Of course seeing UConn playing in Gampel is always special. It can be transformative for girls to see older female athletes playing in a packed house in front of a raucous crowd. One comment the coach had stuck with me though. "The rolling hills, the brick buildings, this is what a college campus should look like." That always stuck with me an outsider's view of the campus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01