Fudd is down to UCLA and UConn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Fudd is down to UCLA and UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I've been to both for men and women's BB games many times. Pepperdine has more ambiance. It sets on a hill. You can see the ocean from anywhere on campus. UCSB is on the water's edge on a peninsula, but you don't get the ocean views you do at Pepperdine. USB is a notorious "party school." Has been for decades.

Pepperdine Univ.

View attachment 59493
After seeing this, now I want to go to Pepperdine. :)

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
So, you lived in the Jungle?

No, it was one of the off campus apartment complexes, yellow townhouse.
We did our best to compete, but the Jungle's rep was too much.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Jonathan, our daughter just brought me over a half gallon of Chocolate Coconut Almond. I put a couple of scoops into a glass of Dad's Root Beer. Just further proof that God loves us.
I have never been to the "Dairy Bar", but it gets good press on this site. Our friends at Mississippi State could tell you about their homegrown ice cream plant. It is quite well known in SEC country.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Some of us may have dissenting views.
President Eisenhower graduated from one of the most beautiful campuses in the world. Are you sure he wasn't posing a question here?
1602019824028.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have never enjoyed the "Dairy Bar", but it gets good press on this site. Our friends at Mississippi State could tell you about their homegrown ice cream plant. It is quite well known in SEC country.
Psssh.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yes, but there is no change of seasons, fall foliage, or fresh blankets of pure white snow at Pepperdine. ;)
There are about 2-3 months of the year that I prefer Connecticut weather to that in California - spring (April-May) and Autumn (October). Then there is the day after any big snow storm - the quiet outside when it's snowing, and the beauty of the fresh white snow.

Other than that, California weather is way better in every way. It almost never gets over 90 degrees, and even when it does, there is literally NO humidity (anyone who has walked outside on a hot humid day at 8 AM only to instantly begin sweating knows exactly what I mean).

My brother, who lives in Boston, came out for Christmas a few years back - I LOVE winters here (including the rainstorms when we are lucky enough to get them), and it gives me a chance to wear long pants and sweaters. My brother spent the entire vacation in shorts and a t-shirt. "It's SO warm out here". Yeah, 60 degrees is awesome when it's 20 degrees in Boston!

But bottom line I hardly think weather or proximity to other "stuff to do" will have much, if any, impact on her decision, but I'm not her and really have no idea. I tend to believe UCLA is an odd choice for her final 2, but there could be many reasons we simply are unaware of - it's not like any of us has a direct line to her family or her thought process.

Is her family thinking of relocating to the LA area? Does she want to be THE star and build a program from "not much" to a possible final 4 contender? Are there personal or other reasons she does not want to be on the same team as Paige? Is there something to be said for the location and temperate location of California? Does she enjoy smog, traffic, and earthquakes? ;)

We will know soon enough. I'm hopeful it will be UCONN. From a logic perspective, it's really no contest. But only she knows what is happening in her mind and where her heart really is.

Reaction Score
Bottom line: Azzi will announce her choice whenever she decides to do it. She'll only get to do it once it her lifetime. I am completely fine with however and whenever, she wants to do it. I hope she decides to come to UConn. It will likely mean three or four natties, given the talent we have in place and put her in a position ot have an outstanding WBNA career, but in the end it her choice. If she decides to go elsewhere, she’s dead to me.
Ftfy

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yes, but there is no change of seasons, fall foliage, or fresh blankets of pure white snow at Pepperdine. ;)

Yeah, and no "permacloud," the technical term for the cloudiness that seems to affect South Bend, home of the Dome, from immediately after Halloween until, oh, May (if you're lucky) or the last lacrosse game of the year. :rolleyes: ;)

Reaction Score
Two things I’d like to say about Pepperdine - I lived in LA in the fall of 1974 and saw that Seattle U. was coming in to play the Wave. As a former FCIAC coach I was excited to go see Head Coach Bill O’Connor (Stamford HS grad), Asst. Coach Dave Bike (ND-Bpt) and players Jerome Maultsby (Fr. - McMahon) and Frank Oleynik (Jr.-ND) and a lottery pick the following spring. Seattle got buried but it was an interesting game. Their offense consisted of four guys setting picks for Oleynik who must have been 7-35 (very rough guess) from the floor. Secondly, having also been to UCSB it’s a toss-up as to most scenic.

Reaction Score
There are about 2-3 months of the year that I prefer Connecticut weather to that in California - spring (April-May) and Autumn (October). Then there is the day after any big snow storm - the quiet outside when it's snowing, and the beauty of the fresh white snow.

Other than that, California weather is way better in every way. It almost never gets over 90 degrees, and even when it does, there is literally NO humidity (anyone who has walked outside on a hot humid day at 8 AM only to instantly begin sweating knows exactly what I mean).

My brother, who lives in Boston, came out for Christmas a few years back - I LOVE winters here (including the rainstorms when we are lucky enough to get them), and it gives me a chance to wear long pants and sweaters. My brother spent the entire vacation in shorts and a t-shirt. "It's SO warm out here". Yeah, 60 degrees is awesome when it's 20 degrees in Boston!

But bottom line I hardly think weather or proximity to other "stuff to do" will have much, if any, impact on her decision, but I'm not her and really have no idea. I tend to believe UCLA is an odd choice for her final 2, but there could be many reasons we simply are unaware of - it's not like any of us has a direct line to her family or her thought process.

Is her family thinking of relocating to the LA area? Does she want to be THE star and build a program from "not much" to a possible final 4 contender? Are there personal or other reasons she does not want to be on the same team as Paige? Is there something to be said for the location and temperate location of California? Does she enjoy smog, traffic, and earthquakes? ;)

We will know soon enough. I'm hopeful it will be UCONN. From a logic perspective, it's really no contest. But only she knows what is happening in her mind and where her heart really is.

I've spent a lot of time in California over the years and always enjoyed the climate and the varied geography that it had to offer.........then while visiting my future wife I got caught smack in the middle of the Northridge earthquake..............that was enough for me/us.............we've been back a few times but it just isn't the same...........

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Jonathan, our daughter just brought me over a half gallon of Chocolate Coconut Almond. I put a couple of scoops into a glass of Dad's Root Beer. Just further proof that God loves us.

I wasn't gonna invest much time in this thread, and I definitely wasn't gonna respond.... but..... but... you put Chocolate Ice Cream in Root Beer?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I wasn't gonna invest much time in this thread, and I definitely wasn't gonna respond.... but..... but... you put Chocolate Ice Cream in Root Beer?

Thought the same thing, then I noticed it was Chocolate Coconut Almond, even worse.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I've spent a lot of time in California over the years and always enjoyed the climate and the varied geography that it had to offer.........then while visiting my future wife I got caught smack in the middle of the Northridge earthquake..............that was enough for me/us.............we've been back a few times but it just isn't the same...........
The Northridge quake was fierce. I was living in Long Beach at the time, in a 1st floor apartment with hardwood floors, and had a grand piano in my living room. The quake lasted almost 30 seconds, and my piano moved 10 feet across the floor from the rolling ground movements. Scary for sure!

Reaction Score
I've been to both for men and women's BB games many times. Pepperdine has more ambiance. It sets on a hill. You can see the ocean from anywhere on campus. UCSB is on the water's edge on a peninsula, but you don't get the ocean views you do at Pepperdine. USB is a notorious "party school." Has been for decades.

Pepperdine Univ.

View attachment 59493

When a niece was choosing a college this is where I recommended. She picked Harvard.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
...and no maple syrup. No winding, hill crested, winter wonderland roads leading to towns of friendly people. No fresh mountain water and no pretty log cabins.

Reaction Score
Headed out to Malibu later this month. Will stay at a small quaint remodeled 1950s hotel. That area of PCH is absolutely beautiful!!

Reaction Score
The Northridge quake was fierce. I was living in Long Beach at the time, in a 1st floor apartment with hardwood floors, and had a grand piano in my living room. The quake lasted almost 30 seconds, and my piano moved 10 feet across the floor from the rolling ground movements. Scary for sure!

it split my then girlfriend's apartment in two...............not fun........a whole lot of East Coasters headed back East after that!!!

Reaction Score
I was in Laguna for the Northridge quake. I was in a motel and the shaking was so severe that i darted outside and then realized i had nothing on. As Eric said, the shaking lasted forever so i couldn't go back in til' the shaking stopped. I didn't notice anyone noticing me, but who knows. A short time later, more shaking and this time i was in a pair of boxers. Many apartment buildings collapsed during that quake and many sleeping people lost their lives. I won't remind anyone of certain tragedies that earthquakes have caused at the UCLA campus which is on or very near this part of the school. They can be looked up online. If you aren't used to the feeling of earthquakes they can be quite mind-boggling. So, in a word, if you are from the east coast and are considering UCLA,"DON'T":)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was on the freeway early that morning headed into Los Angeles. It was like the Fourth of July with all the transformers exploding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom