Fudd is down to UCLA and UConn | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Fudd is down to UCLA and UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
When a niece was choosing a college this is where I recommended. She picked Harvard.

If I had a choice between those two, Harvard here I come!! That’s an easy choice. ;) A degree from Harvard is just a bit more impressive.

Reaction Score
...and no maple syrup. No winding, hill crested, winter wonderland roads leading to towns of friendly people. No fresh mountain water and no pretty log cabins.

You sound like an AARP travel guide. These are 17 year olds.

Reaction Score
I have never been to the "Dairy Bar", but it gets good press on this site. Our friends at Mississippi State could tell you about their homegrown ice cream plant. It is quite well known in SEC country.
Maybe the best ice cream I've ever eaten. Made from milk/cream from real Uconn cows makes the difference. What boggles my mind is that the Dairy bard doesn't adjust their hours on game night to accommodate the fans.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Maybe the best ice cream I've ever eaten. Made from milk/cream from real Uconn cows makes the difference. What boggles my mind is that the Dairy bard doesn't adjust their hours on game night to accommodate the fans.

Have you ever had one of their ice cream cakes?!

The best I’ve ever had and in the top five of food things I miss from Storrs.

Reaction Score
I should also add that the lines at the Dairy Bar often rival Disneyworld. You would think that they would figure out a way to push more throughput through the place.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wasn't gonna invest much time in this thread, and I definitely wasn't gonna respond.... but..... but... you put Chocolate Ice Cream in Root Beer?

Lol I thought it, but I didn’t say it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was in Laguna for the Northridge quake. I was in a motel and the shaking was so severe that i darted outside and then realized i had nothing on. As Eric said, the shaking lasted forever so i couldn't go back in til' the shaking stopped. I didn't notice anyone noticing me, but who knows. A short time later, more shaking and this time i was in a pair of boxers. Many apartment buildings collapsed during that quake and many sleeping people lost their lives. I won't remind anyone of certain tragedies that earthquakes have caused at the UCLA campus which is on or very near this part of the school. They can be looked up online. If you aren't used to the feeling of earthquakes they can be quite mind-boggling. So, in a word, if you are from the east coast and are considering UCLA,"DON'T"

Those of us that call So Cal home are use to the random earthquakes that happen from time to time, as folks that live in the gulf coast area of the country are use to hurricanes. That said, Californians ARE NOT use to 6.7 magnitude earthquakes that last for 30 seconds. :confused:

We were in Stockton (Northern California) that week visiting our son who was playing men’s basketball at Pacific. The quake hit at 4:30 am, and was felt as far away as Las Vegas.

We didn’t feel a thing. I first heard about it was on the morning news. It was a BIG one! Lives lost and billions of dollars in property damage. The Northridge quake will be remembered here for years to come.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Jonathan, our daughter just brought me over a half gallon of Chocolate Coconut Almond. I put a couple of scoops into a glass of Dad's Root Beer. Just further proof that God loves us.
He would love you more if you used Vanilla ice cream!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I was born and raised in LA., and now reside in a suburb. I agree and second the sentiments Eric is expressing here.
Since my son settled in LA and has lived in Westwood for about 10 years, his area is great. We’ve visited dozens of times from. CT. He’s in the Montana-Veteran-Sunset Blvd area and a pretty short walk to the older, nicer part of the UCLA campus. Westwood Village is excellent, but I hear has taken a hit from the virus, at least some of the eateries. LA generally is blah, although I hear downtown has improved. But if you know NYC and haven’t been to LA, it isn’t close. Places like Santa Monica and other beach areas make up for a lot, though. I like the area, but for the wildfires and earthquakes and housing costs. Mexican and Asian food is at the top of what you can get most places in the country. But UConn hoops is unmatched.

Reaction Score
What is this board's record for posts in a thread?

This one might beat it in a month

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Having lived in the Towers all 4 years, the Dairy Bar was a short walk and a frequent stop. That was a loooong time ago. Glad to hear it hasn’t faded. I always regretted not taking the ice cream tasting course.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Since we're really discussing the Dairy Bar, I'll throw my $0.02 in there. The Dairy Bar at almost every University with an Ag school tends to have great dairy products, imho.

I worked at the Dairy Bar for a semester delivering dairy products at 5:00am to all the dorms. The only perk was as much ice cream as you could eat!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, and no "permacloud," the technical term for the cloudiness that seems to affect South Bend, home of the Dome, from immediately after Halloween until, oh, May (if you're lucky) or the last lacrosse game of the year. :rolleyes: ;)
I have a friend who went to grad school a N.D. He always talked about the cloudy, dreary weather. I think there is a band along the lakes from Chicago to Cleveland to Syracuse that has similar atmospheric conditions. Anecdotally, I've heard that student depression and suicides were higher than normal.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Since my son settled in LA and has lived in Westwood for about 10 years, his area is great. We’ve visited dozens of times from. CT. He’s in the Montana-Veteran-Sunset Blvd area and a pretty short walk to the older, nicer part of the UCLA campus. Westwood Village is excellent, but I hear has taken a hit from the virus, at least some of the eateries. LA generally is blah, although I hear downtown has improved. But if you know NYC and haven’t been to LA, it isn’t close. Places like Santa Monica and other beach areas make up for a lot, though. I like the area, but for the wildfires and earthquakes and housing costs. Mexican and Asian food is at the top of what you can get most places in the country. But UConn hoops is unmatched.
One of my biggest complaints about LA is the lack of great restaurants within easy walking distance of where many people live. Sure you can go to the Pier in Santa Monica, or West Hollywoood, or areas around UCLA in Westwood, or on Pico Blvd, or go to huge malls like the Grove or Century City, but the bottom line is, good eats are few and far between.

I think it's mostly because LA is SO sprawling. I got spoiled by living in San Diego where everything was much more compact. Downtown has almost hundreds of eateries within about 5 city blocks. North Park (where my house is) has turned into one of the hottest neighborhoods in the nation (top 10 hippest neighborhoods per Forbes), and the same goes for Hillcrest, University Heights, Mission Hills, etc. with great restaurants on seemingly every corner.

One other thing - in general LA has terrible Chinese food. What they do have is terrific Thai food. And the Mexican food is good but not great (ie. not as many restaurants as you would think and not as good as you would want). It's probably one of my biggest beefs with LA (no pun intended).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I have a friend who went to grad school a N.D. He always talked about the cloudy, dreary weather. I think there is a band along the lakes from Chicago to Cleveland to Syracuse that has similar atmospheric conditions. Anecdotally, I've heard that student depression and suicides were higher than normal.
If I had to deal with a depressing little town like South Bend I'd be depressed too.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

Is that the dude who wrote, "To moo or not to moo, that is the question."?

A cow! A cow! My kingdom for a cow!

Too curst is more than curst: I shall lessen God's
sending that way; for it is said, 'God sends a curst
cow short horns;' but to a cow too curst he sends none.

—Moo ado about nothing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
President Eisenhower graduated from one of the most beautiful campuses in the world. Are you sure he wasn't posing a question here?
View attachment 59509

Agree here. My dad was USMA 1945. We went to his 60th anniversary in 2005. The campus is breathtaking, and watching the daily parade, regardless of your politics, should hit you right in the feels.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agree here. My dad was USMA 1945. We went to his 60th anniversary in 2005. The campus is breathtaking, and watching the daily parade, regardless of your politics, should hit you right in the feels.
It is literally like going to school in an immaculately manicured museum. Wether you are a visitor or a cadet the experience is the same. Every step you are taking, are the same steps that were taken by some of the most influential leaders in this nation's history including George Washington.

Reaction Score
FYI, UCLA's academic calendar starts later, about a month after UConn begins in the fall. Subsequently it ends about a month after UConn's academic year ends. Of course an elite student athlete leads a different life from a regular student and she'd be on campus earlier in the summer anyway before the fall semester begins. But with classes/finals ending mid-June, she'd miss time with her family and friends back East, and have a shorter period of time to relax before summer basketball commitments, e.g. USA Basketball, vs. if she went to UConn.

Reaction Score
Now let me tell you what is going to happen. Azzi is going to set down with her mother and father and they are going to discuss what she is looking for academically, socially, culturally and and basketball wise. She is going to ask them their opinion as what they feel she should do and why. After this discussion she is going to weigh her options and do what she feels is in the best interests of both her and her parents.
And pick UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01