Ft Hays State Postgame Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Ft Hays State Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Saylor did not play. I am not sure she was even completely suited up. Does anyone have info on her
I have nothing up to date, but she has been nursing an injury that has kept her availability limited for several weeks.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Is there a video with the replay? Who's carrying the Arkansas game on TV?
The game is posted in the Boneyard Rules thread that HuskyNan has pinned at the top of the Boneyard first page. It's in the game replays portion. The Arkansas game is being aired by SNY.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I just watched the replay (which was of good quality) and was more than happy to see the team in action after the long hiatus. I'll not add much to this already long thread except to say that not a single Uconn player looked overwhelmed or out of sync during their time on the court, including Mir, Paith and DeBerry. Granted it was an exhibition game, but against reasonably good competition. Over the last number of years the deeper bench subs have struggled and there was no sign of that.

It has been suggested in other threads that the playing time conundrum might lead to having a dedicated "blue team" all sub in together. This game gave a hint that something along those lines might happen, with ONO, Williams, Evina, Paige and AE starting things off before giving way to Nika, Dorka, Fudd, Crystal Dangerfield and whoever - perhaps Saylor or Aubrie when healthy. Obviously there will be a lot of mixing and matching depending on match-ups and game situations but having a strong second team that play together regularly has its charms.
Good post. Just wanted to expand on what you said...

In the past, almost every year, there were multiple games where UCONN would have a substantial lead (say 30 points), and in the lats 6 minutes or so, Geno would start with the end of bench subs. The subs would get outscored by a bunch (say 12 or so) and what was an easy 30-point win, ended up an 18 point win. And it happened a LOT. Obviously still a win which is great, but not nearly as dominant on paper.

Fast forward to this game. Someone mentioned Ft Hayes State was likely in the 130 or so range if they were to be a Div I team. Certainly better than at least 4-5 teams currently in the Big East. Point being, not top 50 competition, but certainly solid.

Anyway, maybe Ft. Hayes ran out of gas, but either way, Q4, we smashed them. Q3, with our starters in, we won 17-15. Q4 mostly with reserves in, we outscored them 32-7. I know there was a lively chat about our bench being a top 10 team (I don't believe they are. MAYBE they would be top 25. MAYBE).

Anyway, our bench is really really good. Obviously if Geno puts them all in at the end of the game against a good team, they might lose ground, but against anyone else, we won't see the inability to score or defend that we've often seen in past end of game minutes.

BTW how about Piath yesterday - I almost wanted to start a separate thread for her - 6 points and 2 rebounds in just over 4 minutes? Probably the most efficient player of the game. Good for her!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ok, I am going to defer that comment to @MilfordHusky, I just hope your friendship survives this "misstep"... :eek:
I'm not sure what Azzi did at halftime, but she needs to stop it right away! :)

She had 5 misses: One was a 3 that was way off, one was a 3 that was halfway down before coming out, one was a pull-up that was blocked, one was a pull-up that spun out, and I don't recall the other one. But she swished both free throws.

News flash--Azzi will not shoot 100%. But I'm still thinking 50/40/90 is feasible for her.

Reaction Score
Like everyone else, I enjoyed watching our team play for the first time this season. Some of the critiques were interesting. I’m very interested to see how UConn performs against Arkansas, a very worthy opponent. First game of the season. That game will answer a lot of questions the exhibition game didn’t. After the Seton Hall gene, 6th of the season, most of our questions and concerns about this team should be answered.
I will be at the Seton Hall game so I will give you an in person analysis. They have two good guards, Park Lane and Espinoza- Hunter, once at UCONN. Not a lot of height though but Walsh is a tough place to win in. I will let you know.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I will be at the Seton Hall game so I will give you an in person analysis. They have two good guards, Park Lane and Espinoza- Hunter, once at UCONN. Not a lot of height though but Walsh is a tough place to win in. I will let you know.
Read some where that Park Lane put on 10+ lbs of muscle and worked tirelessly on her 3pt shot. Going for the Crystal Dangerfield effect. And AEH must also be better to make a mark on her last year. Might be the best test in the BE.

Reaction Score
Read some where that Park Lane put on 10+ lbs of muscle and worked tirelessly on her 3pt shot. Going for the Crystal Dangerfield effect. And AEH must also be better to make a mark on her last year. Might be the best test in the BE.
Walsh is one of those old school Big East on campus facilities. It only holds about 1400 for basketball now after modifications to put in new athletic offices plus standing room for about 100 or so. In its heyday it was the biggest arena in North Jersey, before the Meadowlands and the Rock in Newark.

I lived about 8 blocks away growing up. The biggest tourney here or anywhere in NJ back then for high school was the ECT or Essex County Tournament which was the boys tourney. For a stretch in the 60s of about 7 years in a row the winner of that tourney ( 6 times a Newark team) was the best team in the state and twice in the country.

It was impossible to get in for the tourney. I became a vendor at the age of 13 selling potato chips and the like so I could see the game. I wasn't a very good businessman. I wound up playing there several times in high school and had my best game in the semifinals of the ECT JV tournament which was played immediately before the varsity so it was a sell out also.

It's a great place to watch a game. Very close up. I was there last year and when Audrey went for 25 against them as a freshman. I had seen her father play there as well. I have great seats this year and am very much looking forward to it with my family including my daughter who also played on that court many times. I love watching Geno coach up close. You can really appreciate how savvy he is.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, when UCONN does the feed (vs SNY or ESPN, etc.) they pull it off what is shown on the screen in Gampel (or XL). So the people at game can just watch the live action or the screen. Granted it doesn't work too well for those at home, but that's not really who they are thinking about.

Doesn't make it better, but explains it.
Well, I think when UConn does the game it is the student apprenticeships in the Media department that are gaining hands-on experience particularly in the production room which calls for the switches from shot to shot. This type of work requires practice and I am fine with living with the glitches to get this for free. Just go and see if some of the other programs televise their exhibitions.

Reaction Score
We will probably never know what the motivating factor(s) was and it really doesn't matter. UCONN ain't for everyone. It takes a lot to put up with it, to thrive in it and to grow in it. Geno ain't for everyone either. There he is before the Ft. Hays game throwing shade on the defensive abilities of his returning POY. Who does that?

For those who get through it though, they become metamorphosed into very confident, self aware, and fearless young women even if they were not stars here and many reach a potential in the sport and beyond that was likely unthinkable to them. I mean really, is Carla Berube Carla Berube without UCONN? What about Treasurer Maria Conlon? There are many even better examples and as you know the list is very long. I don't believe in those kinds of coincidences.

One of the reasons the players are so endearing to us ( we all have our favorites now, don't we?) is because we get to see them suffer, so to speak, (Nika last year comes to mind) and still be unselfish and devote themselves to the greater good of the team. It's obviously highly contagious because it spreads to all of them it seems every year and with it I believe comes this ridiculous poise at so young an age and this shared confidence and sisterhood which is just plain commendable.

Reaction Score
We will probably never know what the motivating factor(s) was and it really doesn't matter. UCONN ain't for everyone. It takes a lot to put up with it, to thrive in it and to grow in it. Geno ain't for everyone either. There he is before the Ft. Hays game throwing shade on the defensive abilities of his returning POY. Who does that?

For those who get through it though, they become metamorphosed into very confident, self aware, and fearless young women even if they were not stars here and many reach a potential in the sport and beyond that was likely unthinkable to them. I mean really, is Carla Berube Carla Berube without UCONN? What about Treasurer Maria Conlon? There are many even better examples and as you know the list is very long. I don't believe in those kinds of coincidences.

One of the reasons the players are so endearing to us ( we all have our favorites now, don't we?) is because we get to see them suffer, so to speak, (Nika last year comes to mind) and still be unselfish and devote themselves to the greater good of the team. It's obviously highly contagious because it spreads to all of them it seems every year and with it I believe comes this ridiculous poise at so young an age and this shared confidence and sisterhood which is just plain commendable.
is it shade? Or is he bringing caution that her defense has not improved. There was a play I posted earlier where she was way out of position guarding the player she was assigned. Another player had a fadeaway jumper in her face. Geno comes off as playful, but don't mistake what he is trying to say to his player when it comes to defense.

Reaction Score
Must have screwed up something streaming yesterday. Once the game started, just had audio, but enjoyed the narrative. Watched highlights this morning on YT.
I'm content now, to paraphrase Geno, "to let the season come to me"
Everybody looked pretty d__n good. But, will somebody PLEASE show them how to shoot free-throws.
That mental block must be made of cement.
Kinda hard to look too bad when you put up 111 points and win by 64, no matter who you're playing.
Azzi, Caroline, Dorka really impressed. Don't have to guess any more whether they will fit in.
Missed seeing Aubrey come in and shake everything up, but hope her injury is something that will heal soon.
Piath looked mean and lean.
Think Geno and assistants are going to stay on top of them during practices (as usual) so they don't forget to pass around the perimeter and SHOOT when they have a good look.
Let's see what happens next Sunday against the Razorbacks.
There were two forms, one audio only, one a video.

Reaction Score
is it shade? Or is he bringing caution that her defense has not improved. There was a play I posted earlier where she was way out of position guarding the player she was assigned. Another player had a fadeaway jumper in her face. Geno comes off as playful, but don't mistake what he is trying to say to his player when it comes to defense.
It was intentional shade. He doesn't say anything without a motive. He threw shade on Diana all the time even after she graduated. The point was what other coach would do that publicly to a POY? That other coach would be afraid he was hurting her chances of repeating. If he does it to Paige what about a lowly starter or role player? It's tough to be there and go through it with him but the process is not destructive, it's not even properly denominated as constructive, it's beyond that. It's transformative. Along the way maybe you play on an NC team or two, maybe not. Either way when you come out, you're different and I think sought after. Wouldn't you want to have a former Huskie or two working for or with you? I would.

Reaction Score
It was intentional shade. He doesn't say anything without a motive. He threw shade on Diana all the time even after she graduated. The point was what other coach would do that publicly to a POY? That other coach would be afraid he was hurting her chances of repeating. If he does it to Paige what about a lowly starter or role player? It's tough to be there and go through it with him but the process is not destructive, it's not even properly denominated as constructive, it's beyond that. It's transformative. Along the way maybe you play on an NC team or two, maybe not. Either way when you come out, you're different and I think sought after. Wouldn't you want to have a former Huskie or two working for or with you? I would.
Agree completely.

Geno's talk about Paige's defensive play have done nothing but inspire her to be a better defensive player. She even said in a very recent interview when asked about what she has been working on to improve that her defensive game is a high priority for her. Makes sense. She has a ton of respect for Geno, and it shows whenever she talks about him, or when she gives the sass back to him in spades. He's not slapping her, he's nudging her, and they both know it. Geno doesn't recruit thin skinned crybabies. He recruits exceptional tough kids who want to grow and get better. And he also only recruits kids who have character to spare. Everybody knows what the rules are when they commit to UConn.

I have certainly seen a tremendous improvement in her defensive play between now and when she first came to Storrs.

Some folks just like to get their nose out of joint over anything, likely because it's been broken so many times in the past and it's easy.

Reaction Score
Geno's "criticism" of Paige's defense was clearly a joke. Couldn't you see him look across the room and smile? She led the team in steals last year and got 5 more yesterday. It was a joke!

Reaction Score
Geno's "criticism" of Paige's defense was clearly a joke. Couldn't you see him look across the room and smile? She led the team in steals last year and got 5 more yesterday. It was a joke!
Really? I think his statement was jokey because he was saying how a highlight for the D2 players was scoring over PB, but I genuinely think he feels Paige needs to play better on ball defense. Off the ball, she’s pretty good, that’s where she’s getting the steals.

Reaction Score
Really? I think his statement was jokey because he was saying how a highlight for the D2 players was scoring over PB, but I genuinely think he feels Paige needs to play better on ball defense. Off the ball, she’s pretty good, that’s where she’s getting the steals.
I hear what you're saying here. Geno often uses a 'joking' point to help a player focus on a dead serious particular point. I too think that Geno wants Paige to play better on ball defense, because I truly feel that he wants her to be the best she can possibly be, and if he works with her and helps her reach that goal, then he will once again have achieved the only goal a head coach can expect, and that is to maximize the potential of a truly sensational talent. Geno is really good at this. Paige will be the latest recipient of his talent, and we get to watch. Isn't life grand?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It does feel a little bit like Geno is pulling every Azzi card to get under Paige's skin.

Azzi's Mechanics perfect, Paige's footwork sloppy
Azzi is a good defender Paige is more hit and miss although he did say last year that her defense has improved alot.

Best way to make sure Paige does not let the foot of the pedal.

I also think this somewhat different treatment is a symptom of their personalities

Paige want people to diss her so she can show them how good she is
Azzi seems like a personality that is better suited to positive reinforcement.

Reaction Score
definitely does. I think he wants to send a message that just because you're the best player on the team, doesn't mean you can get away with bad defense. The concern for Bueckers is after Williams who is the best defender on the team, she won't be getting a player who is 2nd or 3rd best on the team. She will have to be guarding the opposing team's best player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom