Ft Hays State Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Ft Hays State Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Ft Hays Exhibition:
  • Great to see the Huskies back on the court after 7 very long months that felt like an eternity.
  • We finally have our answer to the $64,000 question. UConn’s starting lineup was Liv, Christyn, Evina, Paige & Aaliyah. I suspect that will be the starting lineup for the Arkansas game next week. After that, we shall see.
  • Props to the overmatched Ft Hays State Tigers for competing hard throughout the game. They are a very good DII program that should do well again this season.
  • While there were lots of player substitutions throughout the game, for those who were watching closely, Geno’s first substitutions were Dorka & Azzi for Liv & Aaliyah, resulting in a 4-guard lineup. We will see whether that is significant as the season unfolds.
  • Wonderful to see fans at Gampel for the first time in 624 days. After a season of playing in empty arenas, I’m sure the players reveled in the opportunity to play in front of actual cheering fans, rather than cardboard cutouts with piped-in fan noise.

Reaction Score
Big surprises in my mind are Dorka and Caroline Ducharme.

Screenshot (12).png

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
First, it was incredible to finally see this team play. So much anticipation leading up to the start of the season. Overall, an average effort at best. Some really great things, especially early, and some messy things to work on as well. BUT… the season has begun!

After coming out gangbusters in Q1, the rest of the game was largely disappointing. Again, this is a DIVISION 2 TEAM. 29-21 in Q2, 19-17 in Q3 – that is troubling. But with the reserves in for Q4, much better. And the FT shooting – flat out awful. But Q1 and Q4 were things of beauty.

Ft Hayes State plays HARD and they are very well coached. Really impressed with them.

Paige was Paige. 9 assists. Passed up numerous shots to dish to teammates. She may not even average 15 PPG this season if this game is any indication, but man, can she do everything.

Dorka – better than anticipated. To my eyes, she’s the most complete post player on the team. A wide variety of post moves, better mid-range and deep shooting than Liv or Liya, and solid defense as well. Really liking her game a lot.

Olivia – Not sure I saw any real improvement over last season. Geno threw down the gauntlet last season saying that if Olivia plays this year like she did last year, she will lose minutes to others (or he will look to others for scoring etc.). Rooting for her, but not sure she’s any better than last season.

Aaliyah – Getting more minutes now and more of a chance to show what she can do. Not a ton of post moves, but so strong and able to get open around the basket, and the guards were great about finding her. I see her getting a lot of time this season. I can see her and Dorka on the floor a lot together.

Azzi – didn’t notice her defense much, and she missed a few shots. Mostly I saw was her knocking down 3 point shots. Tremendous shooting in the 1st half. 2nd half, not so much.. And some nice court vision for a great pass to Liya in Q4.

Christyn – had a 3 point shot that was an air-ball, but other than that, her offense looked tight. Didn’t notice her much on defense. Almost 30 minutes for her in the exhibition game was surprising.

Evina – some solid shooting early on. Very smooth.

Caroline - ragged early on - missed everything, but really put together a terrific Q4 and showed a lot of what she is capable of doing.

Nika - if she is disappointed in losing out starting spot, it didn't show. Played noticeably hard defense and showed a deft passing touch and some good scoring when she had the change.

Mir - great seeing her get minutes. Could not tell if she worked on her mid-range game at all

Piath - You go girl!!

Amari - Looked solid, but like a freshman

Overall, great to see the team out there playing. Some really good things to grow on, but definitely some things to work on. Defense was surprisingly porous n Q2 and Q3.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saylor did not play. I am not sure she was even completely suited up. Does anyone have info on her

Reaction Score
Impressive. I watched the second half and tried to listen to the first. No matter the lineup, it seemed that the continuation of solid play went on no matter who they put on the floor. I was impressed by Dorka, Caroline Ducharme, and Nika. Good play by Mir, Edwards, and PB. Looked like PB got hurt to what degree, tbd. I like it. Looks like a great season ahead of us. Predict an undefeated season and a National Championship.

Reaction Score
I know I'll get a "we're doomed" for this, which is so lame, but whatever.....but I harped on this last season.

We can't go 6-13 from the FT line in S16 and beyond. This could be the achilles heel of winning it all. They've got to clean that up.

Reaction Score
Hard to really assess players when they’re playing a lesser opponent.

I thought Liv and CW looked relatively similar to last year. CW needs to consistently hit outside shots and jumpers. She got to the basket well, but that’s not saying much against a D2 opponent. Liv just needs to be better. Not much else to say.

Free throws and foul trouble were a bit concerning.

Dorka, CD, Azzi looked great and it looks like they’ll really bring this team to a new level this year. I thought CD and Azzi were really strong on defense. CD is a great slasher and I think we’ll see her calm down over the next few weeks and start hitting 3’s. I like how quick Dorka is in the post, hopefully she can hit enough 3’s to make the defense guard her out there.

Evina had a great first half, felt like she didn’t really play much in the second, hopefully that’s not injury related.

Nika looks a lot more under control than last year and if she hits her open shots I think she’s a really good back up point guard. I see her having less of a role than last year, but still being a critical part of the rotation.

Paige is Paige. Aliyah looked good, works really hard, makes the layups, rebounds well. Those two just do what they need to do.

Reaction Score
Saylor did not play. I am not sure she was even completely suited up. Does anyone have info on her

I saw someone looked like her with street clothes shaking opponents hands at end of game.

Reaction Score
Main take away.
Dorka.
She will be the different maker.
Second take away.
Caroline is more than a shooter.
Third take away.
Azzi can shoot the three.
Fourth take away.
Paige is the ultimate unselfish team player.
Fifth take away.
Nika is dynamite.
Sixth take away.
CW will score big time.

Reaction Score
So happy to have a live video feed on this out here Providence way - added so much over audio alone being able to see faces of the, greatly expanded, roster.

Wow - what fun & what potential for the season.

Thanks a ton Geno for letting us get a look at so many recruits we've heard about.

Very different team IMHO than in recent years:

1) depth
2) height in numbers
3) 14 on the roster
4) experience in varied shapes & sizes from grad transfers to Olympic, etc.

Long time fan since the 1990s and soo happy to have on the computer to watch besides my live trips to Mohegan and the like. Will try for Arkansas in Hartford - but more difficult drive from the Providence area than Storrs.

Have fun all.

Reaction Score
Listening to the game. From what I heard and really enjoyed hearing, shooting should not be a problem this season! Love hearing how Paige was out there dropping dimes left and right. Aaliyah seems to have been active. If this is the case, just one more option out on the floor. Can not wait for the Arkansas game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know I'll get a "we're doomed" for this, which is so lame, but whatever.....but I harped on this last season.

We can't go 6-13 from the FT line in S16 and beyond. This could be the achilles heel of winning it all. They've got to clean that up.
This post was not worthy of a “we’re doomed.“

Reaction Score
Things I liked
1. Evina was not afraid to shoot the 3 ball and looked smooth as silk doing it.
2. Dorka post moves and strong finishing and threw in an outside shot
3. Azzi burying her first 3 3 balls
4. Paige's steals and her passing
5. The bigs got in foul trouble but we have plenty.
6. Paith looks like she should get a little more time
7. Caroline Ducharme's defense, passing and cutting The 3 ball will come as Geno will say she is zero for her outside shot until she hits one.
8. CW driving and scoring and she did hit a nice pull up mid-range out of offense.
9. Nika being Nika and hitting a beautiful 3

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom