Ft Hays State Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Ft Hays State Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I listened to some of our players post game. I was saying to myself does Geno just magically recruit kids that are "UCONN Women" to begin with? This is uncanny. It's all the time. They are all poised, self possessed, and team oriented. The experience of being on the team is clearly a predominant reason and is so transformative and character building for them. It's no wonder there are so many of them in important roles outside of playing basketball already and so many of them in coaching. I mean, if you are the hiring person, you just know what you are getting.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Like everyone else, I enjoyed watching our team play for the first time this season. Some of the critiques were interesting. I’m very interested to see how UConn performs against Arkansas, a very worthy opponent. First game of the season. That game will answer a lot of questions the exhibition game didn’t. After the Seton Hall gene, 6th of the season, most of our questions and concerns about this team should be answered.

Reaction Score

Attachments

• 2021-11-08_05-10-46.png
    2021-11-08_05-10-46.png
    465.8 KB · Views: 161
Reaction Score
Since I'm coming to this thread late I am sure my points have been more than covered. I'll simply say it looks like this is going to be a fun season.

The newbies got exposure to a college basketball game. The new roster members made their presence felt. A little too much fouling from Liv and Aaliyah. They'll adjust. Improve foul shooting.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I listened to some of our players post game. I was saying to myself does Geno just magically recruit kids that are "UCONN Women" to begin with? This is uncanny. It's all the time. They are all poised, self possessed, and team oriented. The experience of being on the team is clearly a predominant reason and is so transformative and character building for them. It's no wonder there are so many of them in important roles outside of playing basketball already and so many of them in coaching. I mean, if you are the hiring person, you just know what you are getting.

Well, the reputation of our Program and the message of sacrifice, no player is more important than the team, chasing perfection, turning down the good shot to get the great shot .... attracts young people with extraordinary traits before they ever sign up

How else to explain 2 of the most unique examples I can think of extraordinary offensive players who

1) One of them prefers playing defense to offense
2) One who likes to pass instead of score

and many other incredible stories before coming to UConn.

Of course, once through the door, this place just reinforces these traits

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Watching Liv warm up and I am repeating myself from another post. She stood outside the 3 pt line and took 2-3 shots from one spot then moved over a few feet and took another 2-3 shots from that spot. She nailed almost every shot. When she missed in the game she had no arch on the ball like she did warming up. When she can shoot in the game like she did in warm ups we will have a great high low game. Be patient its gonna come around.
Shes running out of time, and we've been waiting on that for two years.

Reaction Score
Hard to really assess anything after one exhibition game. It was a blast. It was great to see fans & hear them. This was a shaking off the rust/nerves game and a revolving line-up test. No gloom. No doom. Looking forward to Arkansas. I'm just going to enjoy this year vs. analyzing this year..

Reaction Score
Must have screwed up something streaming yesterday. Once the game started, just had audio, but enjoyed the narrative. Watched highlights this morning on YT.
I'm content now, to paraphrase Geno, "to let the season come to me"
Everybody looked pretty d__n good. But, will somebody PLEASE show them how to shoot free-throws.
That mental block must be made of cement.
Kinda hard to look too bad when you put up 111 points and win by 64, no matter who you're playing.
Azzi, Caroline, Dorka really impressed. Don't have to guess any more whether they will fit in.
Missed seeing Aubrey come in and shake everything up, but hope her injury is something that will heal soon.
Piath looked mean and lean.
Think Geno and assistants are going to stay on top of them during practices (as usual) so they don't forget to pass around the perimeter and SHOOT when they have a good look.
Let's see what happens next Sunday against the Razorbacks.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Because I hadn't seen her play. By the same token, people have said "Azzi doesn't miss" - she was 3-3 in H1, and 0-5 in H2. So her shooting was not as good as anticipated. IMHO.
Ok, I am going to defer that comment to @MilfordHusky, I just hope your friendship survives this "misstep"... :eek:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If I may offer a counterpoint to @eebmg @SVCBeercats and @RockyMTblue2 that the moniker Caroline Ducharme is a complimentary abbreviation as the 3 previous CD's are all well-known, well-respected and well-liked CDs-Chris Daily, Caroline Doty, Chrystal Dangerfield. So to me, this is a high compliment and I, for one will use it.
I guess no one in your family was ever a "Junior" let alone a "III" or a "IV" ......
just sayin GIF

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If I may offer a counterpoint to @eebmg @SVCBeercats and @RockyMTblue2 that the moniker Caroline Ducharme is a complimentary abbreviation as the 3 previous CD's are all well-known, well-respected and well-liked CDs-Chris Daily, Caroline Doty, Chrystal Dangerfield. So to me, this is a high compliment and I, for one will use it.
I guess no one in your family was ever a "Junior" let alone a "III" or a "IV" ......
just sayin GIF
To each their own. But there is enough push back so that the name Caroline shall not perish from the earth.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And the woman leading the charge is named MARIANNE!
That’s weird. I always figured Delacroix to be more of a Ginger guy.

CL82

Reaction Score
I agree totally--they showed replays while live action was going on. Very poorly done.
It was annoying though I appreciate the thought behind it. It was an attempt to have a more sophisticated product. Replays are better during dead times. Timeouts, commercial breaks, etc.

But that’s a quibble. Overall, I thought it was a nice product and I was glad to be able to watch an exhibition for a change.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, if Aubrey is healthy she has to be in the mix. She can do things no one else can, to paraphrase Geno. Her defense, as an example, can change a game.
She’s a crazy athletic kid. Her reaction time is amazing coupled with great fast twitch muscles. I think more than anything else that’s why I would not be upset if she redshirted this year. I think she can be a fantastic player for UConn but this year she will be an after thought by the time she’s healthy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
just sayin GIF
Hey @DefenseBB, use your First Amendment rights while you still have them. It occurs to me that more often than not our players end our silly debates by giving each other the only nicknames that count. I have heard nothing along those lines. Have you?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, the reputation of our Program and the message of sacrifice, no player is more important than the team, chasing perfection, turning down the good shot to get the great shot .... attracts young people with extraordinary traits before they ever sign up

How else to explain 2 of the most unique examples I can think of extraordinary offensive players who

1) One of them prefers playing defense to offense
2) One who likes to pass instead of score

and many other incredible stories before coming to UConn.

Of course, once through the door, this place just reinforces these traits
All true, time and time again, but there is another element you want all of them to their basketball. I found it refreshing when Dorka said it yesterday: "I came here to win."

Reaction Score
I just watched the replay (which was of good quality) and was more than happy to see the team in action after the long hiatus. I'll not add much to this already long thread except to say that not a single Uconn player looked overwhelmed or out of sync during their time on the court, including Mir, Paith and DeBerry. Granted it was an exhibition game, but against reasonably good competition. Over the last number of years the deeper bench subs have struggled and there was no sign of that.

It has been suggested in other threads that the playing time conundrum might lead to having a dedicated "blue team" all sub in together. This game gave a hint that something along those lines might happen, with ONO, Williams, Evina, Paige and AE starting things off before giving way to Nika, Dorka, Fudd, Crystal Dangerfield and whoever - perhaps Saylor or Aubrie when healthy. Obviously there will be a lot of mixing and matching depending on match-ups and game situations but having a strong second team that play together regularly has its charms.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I had no issue with the technical quality of the broadcast, but I found the replays repeatedly overrunning the live action quite annoying. Enjoy your cruise and buffer the buffet!

I agree totally--they showed replays while live action was going on. Very poorly done.

Yes, the replays were badly done and infuriating at times. If that happened in a regular game there would be a major revolt. I was just so happy to see them play. BTW, I love our newcomers, everyone one of them. Really good players, but even better young women.

It seemed that most of those interruptions occurred because the action happened so fast after a perceived lull.
If I remember correctly, when UCONN does the feed (vs SNY or ESPN, etc.) they pull it off what is shown on the screen in Gampel (or XL). So the people at game can just watch the live action or the screen. Granted it doesn't work too well for those at home, but that's not really who they are thinking about.

Doesn't make it better, but explains it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom