FSU Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

FSU Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the FSU game:
  • No Geno today. But with Nika & Dorka back in the starting lineup I felt reasonably good about the likelihood that CD would up her all-time record as UConn’s HC to 14-0. :confused:
  • Against an aggressive FSU team there were still far too many Husky turnovers. Hopefully, with more healthy players practicing together, UConn will clean up the problem.
  • FSU used multiple defenses to offset UConn’s advantage in the paint as the Huskies got the ball inside frequently for easy layups by Aaliyah in particular, along with Dorka, Aubrey & Caroline.
  • Nika dished out a cool 12 assists but was not at her best coming out of the concussion protocol.
  • We all know that Lou can score. But the more I watch her play, the clearer it is that she takes and makes BIG SHOTS. Whenever FSU looked like they might overtake UConn, Lou seemed to bury another shot.
  • Aaliyah’s ability to establish consistently strong low-post position is in some ways reminiscent of Pheesa, although Aaliyah is bigger and stronger.
  • UConn probably won this game at the foul line going 18/21.
  • Bring on the Pirates!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ugly. we held on for the win.

No Geno - please feel better. People could point to the final score and say "Nika and Dorka just came back so they were rusty". That wasn't the case. we came out gangbusters in Q1, and then got outplayed for the entire 2nd half. This should be a concern for the team and the coaches.

Having said that, Nika was terrific. Picked up where she left off. 12 assists and 6 points. Man she is good.

Aaliyah and Lou were also really good and huge shoutout to Dorka for being all over the floor in Q1.

The team showed grit and determination. But the game should not have been this close. Sorry, I can't be all puppies and kitties today. FSU is solid, but not an upper echelon team.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Peck did a nice job explaining why UCONN owned the paint. FSU refused to cheat off UConn three point shooters. Dorka and Aaliyah took advantage.

“Silly” turnovers continue to plague UConn. Lob or sloppy passing are normally cleaned up by this time.

Edwards is heading toward team MVP and or All-American honors.

There can’t be a smoother transition in coaching than when CD steps in for Geno.

Question for the medical experts on the board. What are the spots on Dorka”s arm?

They seem determined to get Ducharme back to the level last of last year. Not there yet.

Good but not a great win. Happy for the return of Dorka and Nika.

Reaction Score
Few comments

1. AE is doing everything -- scoring, rebounding, beat pressure
2. Love Dorka's energy, but never seen a 6-5 get blocked so often
3. Teams are going to continue to leave Aubrey open until she hits shots
4. Lou still a great option on offense
5. CD looking better, but still showing rust.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Question for the medical experts on the board. What are the spots on Dorka”s arm?
They are the result of a massage technique called cupping. When I have a chronic muscle spasm, my massage therapist will apply a suction type cup to the pressure point. It works very well

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Peck did a nice job explaining why UCONN owned the paint. FSU refused to cheat off UConn three point shooters. Dorka and Aaliyah took advantage.

“Silly” turnovers continue to plague UConn. Lob or sloppy passing are normally cleaned up by this time.

Edwards is heading toward team MVP and or All-American honors.

There can’t be a smoother transition in coaching than when CD steps in for Geno.

They seem determined to get Ducharme back to the level last of last year. Not there yet.

Good but not a great win. Happy for the return of Dorka and Nika.
Dorka's round spots are called "cupping therapy," usually done with hot cups placed and held on various parts of the body to promote a better flow of energy and healing. It goes back to the ancient Egyptians. Maybe Jana El Alfy was at the Mohegan Sun today giving Dorka some tips? :cool:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ugly. we held on for the win.

No Geno - please feel better. People could point to the final score and say "Nika and Dorka just came back so they were rusty". That wasn't the case. we came out gangbusters in Q1, and then got outplayed for the entire 2nd half. This should be a concern for the team and the coaches.

Having said that, Nika was terrific. Picked up where she left off. 12 assists and 6 points. Man she is good.

Aaliyah and Lou were also really good and huge shoutout to Dorka for being all over the floor in Q1.

The team showed grit and determination. But the game should not have been this close. Sorry, I can't be all puppies and kitties today. FSU is solid, but not an upper echelon team.
I thought our beloved coach CD made a strategic error by pulling Dorka and Caroline and putting Aubrey and Ayanna in. Aubrey reverted to two years ago and just stood on the perimeter; Ayanna couldn’t handle the slapping at the ball and got flustered. Florida State went on a run, then was able to regroup mentally and settle in.

Reaction Score
I hate the saying “a win is a win” but it applies here. Silly silly turnovers have to get fixed. Toughness needs to be at 100% all game. Not just one half.

Seton Hall is going to be tougher than everyone realizes. UConn always gets every teams best. Always. Always.

Also, again, the opposing team has a player who doesn’t normally light it up from 3, light it up from 3 (Howard.). It really is unbelievable.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In the 2nd half UConn failed to show effective offensive ball handling, screening, pace in the quarter court, and movement of the ball side to side. FSU was able to pressure the ball handlers at the arc, double Nika on the perimeter, and work through screens to effectively cut off the outside shot and the entry passes.

UConn failed to respond to FSU defense. FSU made it difficult for UConn to run their actions such as the 45 or the Wave, or any type of chin action on the weak side because of that pressure. Yes, again, TO's hurt them. But UConn was not able to score at a high rate off the 13 TO's FSU gave them, nor was UConn able to have any type of transition game after the first period. AG's poor play today was puzzling, but once the UConn transition game was shut down so was AG. She was in constant foul trouble, and AG also took only one mid range shot. So UConn again was relegated to only two real offensive threats: AE and Lou.

Defensively UConn, again, failed to effectively cover the arc, and even a poor shooting 3 point team took advantage of it. When they did FSU dribbled around them. FSU also had success working one on one inside the nail, and were frequently able to beat UConn along the baseline. Azzi, get well soon.

Reaction Score
Was a good win and there were contributions from all the players. Yes, the turnovers need to be fewer if we want to beat top 10 Teams going forward. Aliyah was superb in the first half and Lou was scoring well. It was clear that Dorka was happy to be back. A double double is something she can do every time out. I expect that Caroline and Dorka will improve in fitness and play at a better speed as the season progresses.
a step in the right direction!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Even though only FSU players fouled out, it seemed that we were the team in foul trouble and we played that way on defense. Especially late in the 2nd quarter and the whole 2nd half our defense seemed a little less intense.
I could be mistaken, but this is the first time that I can remember the starters not starting the second half. Caroline started the second half instead of Aubrey due to Aubrey being in foul trouble.
It was a good win, we allowed a great comeback in the 2nd half but didn't fold under pressure. Except maybe when Dave O'Brian jinxed our FTs late in the 4th quarter.
Another game where watching @MJL243 's replay tomorrow isn't going to be as much fun as I had hoped it would be but it is a win, so...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sometimes you can look at the boxscore and read into the game based on stats. Having Dorka back brings so many intangibles that doesn't show. Yes, she was a little rusty, but her size was sorely missed, and her high/low chemistry with Aaliyah was definitely missed. Her 5 blocks caused the FSU players to think about her presence in the paint.

As Oldude stated, Nika was slightly off with 5 TO's, but she countered with 12 assists. Her presence picks up the tempo on offense. Yes, the ongoing turnovers are a disturbing trend, but with a little continuity, I do believe this will get under control.

Every game, I have to acknowledge what a godsend Lou has been. Like Carolyn Peck mentioned, she is a huntress, a scorer always looking for an opening. Just luv watching her play.

It was a little nervy down the stretch, but again, Aaliyah took care of things. She is becoming the player we all envisioned in her freshman year when she flashed her potential.

Lastly, Caroline didn't press, letting the game come to her. One positive was her first three was a shot - she took her time and the ball had a nice arc. Let's hope for more.

Reaction Score
I need a Tums.
9EA1F86B-0892-4634-A1A1-44956350EFC2.jpeg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I want to add that the sometimes bizarre calls by the refs, who appeared to think that they were getting paid per whistle, disrupted both teams. Before anyone claims the refs caused UConn’s problems- no, they didn’t. I actually thought FSU got hosed on some calls in the first half. But, anywho, the refs let some obvious things go then called touch fouls. I thought UConn was more confused about how to play than FSU, who probably figured they were getting called for fouls anyway, might as well play their game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom