FSU Game Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

FSU Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
"It is going to be like this for the next five months," Auriemma said. "Yeah, I'm sure there's teams that we're going to overwhelm with our talent. I get that. But there's an awful lot of teams we're going to play this year, this being one of them, that are maybe more athletic than we are. That maybe are a little bit quicker, a little bit tougher."

"Everybody's going to give them their best shot and everybody's going to pay us back for everything that we've done to every one of these teams for the last 10 years," Auriemma said.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
"Everybody's going to give them their best shot and everybody's going to pay us back for everything that we've done to every one of these teams for the last 10 years," Auriemma said.
I can imagine Geno going back to the locker room and saying,"Are you going to let them beat you because they're mad Maya Moore up up 30 on them?". If not Geno, then CD.

Reaction Score
Let see,
Without Gabby and Kia's big helps we can beat a #12 team. We do great.
Napheez, Chong and KLS are good.
Big surprise are Butler and Crystal.
Still don't know why Kyla was not playing?

Reaction Score
A win is a win and on the road against a nationally ranked team, and yes missing one of their studs, but it beats 0-1. Kia has to play more relaxed and not be so darn predictable with her passes and giving up her dribble so early, which makes her commit and then she finds herself in trouble and here comes another turnover or a charge. The point was made somewhere in the thread about KLS allowing the game to come to her. Need less to say Chong and Collier carried the offense. Bigger opponents will really expose our lack of size, but back home for Baylor and we'll see how we can fix some of the lack of flow in our offense, which really was evident in the first half.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Wilson and Coates combined for 15. Gray and Davis combined for 61. Oh, those transfers!

Teams will have to pick their poison; play zone and slow the interior; play man and hope to slow Davis and Gray. BTW, Bianca only had 1 turnover tonight.

Reaction Score
Collier was awesome but speaking of some "wow" -- Saniya Chong hats off to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow some of those moves!!! Thee was a poster on here a while back - end of last year - he or she said she could be "electric."

At one point she buried a 3 and Doris spoke that she was surprised she took the shot-- I was saying "No Way!" to Doris. Chong has a sweet shot and especially early if she is open, she should have the green light. Especially if at the time she was hitting other shots.

Hats off to Saniya Chong! Though I can't speak of the defense and the breakdowns- hopefully Sainya was ok there.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Serious question, how did you guys like sweating it out at the end of a game like the rest of us mortals?

It's different, right? lol... super nerve wracking yet exhilarating when you pull off the win.

they-ain-t-about-that-life.png

:cool:

Reaction Score
Serious question, how did you guys like sweating it out at the end of a game like the rest of us mortals?

It's different, right? lol... super nerve wracking yet exhilarating when you pull off the win.
No thanks.

Reaction Score
A win is a win and on the road against a nationally ranked team, and yes missing one of their studs, but it beats 0-1. Kia has to play more relaxed and not be so darn predictable with her passes and giving up her dribble so early, which makes her commit and then she finds herself in trouble and here comes another turnover or a charge. The point was made somewhere in the thread about KLS allowing the game to come to her. Need less to say Chong and Collier carried the offense. Bigger opponents will really expose our lack of size, but back home for Baylor and we'll see how we can fix some of the lack of flow in our offense, which really was evident in the first half.

I wonder....a smaller, but quick team..like FSU appeared to be at times, would they give problems to a big line up?

Reaction Score
Lets face it the refs decided the outcome of the game in the first quarter. The last play where kia fouled was the right play but the refs waited till she threw the ball before calling the foul.

Reaction Score

It's no big deal because we've won so much and the realization that next year we're no doubt going to be tremendous. This year we are playing with house money and realize that we can be tremendous by season end. It's not like "this is our one chance."

Reaction Score
It concerns me that there is such a negative tone in some comments regarding Nurse. The fact that Geno kept her in the game should be proof enough of his confidence in her. Who knows whether FSU defense was aligned in a way to focus on her? I am certainly not smart enough to figure that out, but I do know she has been stellar for us and one game - a victory that was not at all certain- does not indicate anything. Remember, Geno pays no attention to the stat sheet, as impressive or unimpressive as it may be for each player, but to the heart with which they played. Just remember her "fight" to keep the ball from two FSU players who were clearly in harms way if they did not back off, which one of them did with arms in the air in a sign of surrender. That is what Kia brings!!!!!!!

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score

Personally I was fine with it. For me, a lot of it depends on expectation levels. If last year's team had turned in a performance like that, I would've been very annoyed because I'd have known they didn't play up to their talent level or potential.

This year, nobody knows quite what we have yet, and I always expected this team to hit some bumps in the road. I would not have been shocked to start 0-2, though I'm very glad we won't. I'm excited to watch Geno & co. try to build this team into a contender come March, but there will be many growing pains (and, I expect, some losses) between now and then. For now, I'm proud of this team for fighting through their first tough game in a long time and pulling out a win.

But that's just me. It's quite possible that the majority of BYers were pulling their hair out last night! :eek:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's a different kind of joy. Not about to panic or become hyper critical of these player or the coaches because they are mortal also. It's just that Stewie Moriah & Morgan may not have been.

Reaction Score

Honestly? I enjoyed it! I knew going into this season that many of our games were/are going to be nail biters. I was up off the sofa and excited and engaged instead of multi-tasking like I usually am. Sure, I would've been bummed if they lost, but I'm expecting losses this season. Who wouldn't be? They're a completely different team than the last 4 years. Have to expect a lot of changes.

Reaction Score
I believe the three keys to our season are: development of Crystal Dangerfield, Butler being at least a competitive center, and the players working together on defense regardless of which 5 are in the game. Someone said we are playing to become the best team we can for March and I second that. I think the same growth is needed by some of the posters on the BY:)

Reaction Score
I think it's pretty absurd to think that she tanked that third foul shot. Why presume that your team is going to get the rebound particularly when positioning typically gives the advantage at the foul line to the team whose player is NOT shooting the foul shots. A bird in the hand certainly fits this scenario.
She missed that third shot because her legs weighed about two tons and it appeared as if she may have short-armed the free throw. You stand there and hit three in a row to tie the game...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She missed that third shot because her legs weighed about two tons and it appeared as if she may have short-armed the free throw. You stand there and hit three in a row to tie the game...
She was also only a 62% free throw shooter from last season. The stats would say she was expected to miss at least 1 of the three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom