FSU Game Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

FSU Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A very close 2 point win right out of the gate was the best thing for this young team. Everyone grew a little bit tonight. 1st game jitters are gone now. This team has already faced adversity, and found a way to win.
No negative comments or second guessing from Carnac tonight. I enjoyed the game, and I'm glad we won.

I thought it ironic that Dangerfield was on the line at the end of the game, with the game hanging in the balance. How's that for baptism under fire? You can't replicate that kind of pressure in practice. You can't experience that sitting on the bench. You've got to be on the floor.

Remember.....iron sharpens iron. That which does not kill you can only make you stronger. I commented in a post last week that Geno would have to depend on the freshmen at various time during the season. This was one of those games. Molly Bent got on the floor for a minute also.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Bob Joyce is talking about Lou injuring her knee? Was walking around with a bag of ice on it. To make matters worse Bob then started evoking memories of Jess Moore and her playing on a torn ACL. Way to put a damper on the win Bob!

Reaction Score
So was Samuelson. One time instead of closing on a three point shooter, she went away from her and the player hit the three.
I agree on KLS. Nurse, Chong, and KLS are all slow defensively. None of them are quick laterally. The lack of lateral quickness at the guard position will be a problem this year.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Baylor 84-70. UCLA looked tired at the end. They couldn't keep up the pace and shot making from their 7 point first half lead. Baylor ultimately beat them because of their size and their half court offense. Baylor went with few if any subs in the second half with Kalani Brown dominating inside.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Only a UConn fan has the luxury of remembering losses in such detail because there have been so few of them.

Seeing that UConn won the championship in the years of the Stanford and ND losses, I'm having a hard time building up any outrage over three losses over four years.
Preach Nan! I'll take a hard fought loss over a blow out win against an inferior team this year any day. Okay, maybe I'm lying just a bit. But the sentiment is there.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Uconn had three things going for them in this game: Collier, Chong, and Romero's absence from the game. Also, I don't doubt the FSU player missed that last free throw because she believed FSU would secure the rebound based on what had happened on some previous free throws. That way FSU would have the last shot. It was a risky chance and it almost worked for them. Just a thought.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Bob Joyce is talking about Lou injuring her knee? Was walking around with a bag of ice on it. To make matters worse Bob then started evoking memories of Jess Moore and her playing on a torn ACL. Way to put a damper on the win Bob!

We're lucky that Lou didn't have a really serious injury on that play

Reaction Score
Can't blame coach's communication for the Nurse 3PT foul. With the amount of college and Olympic experience she has, there is no excuse for not knowing that with a 3PT lead you can't foul outside that line. With 6:55 left there's no way I'd have put Nurse in for Dangerfield. CD was playing well and already has better feel for pace and handles the ball better than Nurse. Defensive rebounding and interior defense is going to really hurt them all season against any team with size inside, especially the non conference powers. Baylor could be a major problem playing volleyball on the offensive glass.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Can't blame coach's communication for the Nurse 3PT foul. With the amount of college and Olympic experience she has, there is no excuse for not knowing that with a 3PT lead you can't foul outside that line. With 6:55 left there's no way I'd have put Nurse in for Dangerfield. CD was playing well and already has better feel for pace and handles the ball better than Nurse. Defensive rebounding and interior defense is going to really hurt them all season against any team with size inside, especially the non conference powers. Baylor could be a major problem playing volleyball on the offensive glass.
Foul on the three point shooter aside, Kia's defense is much better than Crystal's. I also don't think Geno would put a freshman into a situation like that - tight game against a ranked team. He tries to avoid that when he has options.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Only a UConn fan has the luxury of remembering losses in such detail because there have been so few of them.

Seeing that UConn won the championship in the years of the Stanford and ND losses, I'm having a hard time building up any outrage over three losses over four years.

LOL! C'mon... just a little bit of outrage? You can do it! I mean, that's almost a loss per year. Egregious. Terrible. Cheeky!

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
As I mentioned in the Napressa healthy thread, I was told by a knowledgeable coach that she IS the best player on Uconns current team.
Yet there are so many who post here who have anointed KLS as the better player and one of the ten best in the country. They are both very good but if Collier can continue to be a scorer she will be the better player, imo. She will have a better all around game.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Foul on the three point shooter aside, Kia's defense is much better than Crystal's. I also don't think Geno would put a freshman into a situation like that - tight game against a ranked team. He tries to avoid that when he has options.
Yes, but if the experienced player is playing like Nurse was playing put someone else in. She did not play that bad as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Uconn had three things going for them in this game: Collier, Chong, and Romero's absence from the game. Also, I don't doubt the FSU player missed that last free throw because she believed FSU would secure the rebound based on what had happened on some previous free throws. That way FSU would have the last shot. It was a risky chance and it almost worked for them. Just a thought.
I think it's pretty absurd to think that she tanked that third foul shot. Why presume that your team is going to get the rebound particularly when positioning typically gives the advantage at the foul line to the team whose player is NOT shooting the foul shots. A bird in the hand certainly fits this scenario.

Reaction Score
Some player by player take aways from game 1...

Collier: I think the biggest take away from this game is that Collier decided that she was going to be comfortable being a player that can be relied on in big games. I was a bit skeptical about how she was progressing based off of relatively quiet exhibition performances. This was only one game, but its a really strong base to build from. I think she has a good chance of being the best player for this team all season long.

Samuelson- It has been clear since the first exhibition outing that Lou desperately wants to be the go to player and AA performer for this team. I think she has pressed a little out of the gate. The most growth I saw from her was after she picked up her 4th personal. She gestured to Geno saying "I'm good." Subsequently, she scored the next 5 uconn points to keep them in the game down the stretch of the 3rd quarter. In that moment I learned that Lou knows how important she is going to be and she seemed more mature than last year. Once she settles down and lets the game come to her, I can see her averaging 18ppg and 6rpg.

Chong: We all know she can score. 20 points against Stanford showed us that, or her ridiculous HS stats. Defense will be her weakness, but we will need her offense this season. Continued gutsy performances where she takes care of the ball and shows some senior leadership will be vital to the success of the team.

Williams: Many posters expect her to be the best player on this team. I think today showed how some size and D1 talent against her can bridge some of the gap that she creates due to athleticism. She should have a good year, especially if her range continues to expand. However, tonight she didn't have the look of a go to player. Beyond two big shots, her presence wasn't felt. Maybe that was foul trouble shaking her confidence. Only time will tell. Regardless, she is a big key.

Nurse: Kia will always bring 125% effort to the floor. But she can be painfully inconsistent. She can go from a nice 14 point outing, to a 0 point performance followed by tears, to burning the nets with 33 points playing for canada. A big place for her to grow as a player this year will be to become consistent. Every night we need her to take care of the basketball, hit open shots, minimize offensive fouls, and find open players. Being able to rely on 10-12ppg and 5apg from Nurse could be huge against this non conference schedule.

Dangerfield- She has a lot of poise for a freshman. Her pace is advanced for her age. She is not going to be needed to create her own shot this year. If she can knock down open shots that come within the flow of the offense, take care of the basketball, play solid D, and find open players, she will earn a lot of minutes.

Bent- she looked a bit nervous today. Had some nice moments and some bad moments. It will be nice to get her minutes in some non-pressure games against d1 talent to fully evaluate her skills.

Butler- had a lot of bright spots and quite possibly her most influential performance in a husky uniform. We will need her against teams with size. More importantly, we need her to box out hard and grab rebounds with authority. Huge key for the season.

Overall, this team showed a ton of heart. They beat a top 15 team on the road with no real team identity. This type of game will probably be the most beneficial for learning and growing into a great team come march.

I learned a lot about the players and what they realistically can bring to the floor night in and night out. Excited to see what everyone is able to do through the first month to establish this team identity.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Bottom line tonite was UConn was going through growing pains. So were we as fans. We won despite a slow start, playing on the road, and Lou and Gabby not having great games. I felt Chong stepped it up big time. I saw her in HS and she looked alot like she did in HS. Clutch. Now Lou and Gabby come along and Kia hits some shots were really good. Understand this is a young team and it showed at points during the game. To many unforced turnovers. A little tentative at the beginning of the game, some out of control passes in key moments and still they found a way to win. I am very proud of this win. We had and lost it and had it and lost it and had it and lost it and had it and won it. Thats up and down and it will be that way this season as we grow and mature. Thursday against Baylor will be big. It will be a very very very tuff game but we will learn and grow from it. Remember we are playing for March.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I think it's pretty absurd to think that she tanked that third foul shot. Why presume that your team is going to get the rebound particularly when positioning typically gives the advantage at the foul line to the team whose player is NOT shooting the foul shots. A bird in the hand certainly fits this scenario.
I've seen it happen before, more than once. It is not absurd. I have seen coaches tell their player to foul in a one point game to put the other team on the line so that after the free throw they would have the ball for the last shot. It worked.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

It's not outrage, just an observation. Look, Geno's as good as there ever has been, but his close game decisions and strategy have left a lot to be desired in all the recent close games. It should be okay to praise Geno when he succeeds, which is most often, and be critical when he messes up.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I learned a lot about the players and what they realistically can bring to the floor night in and night out

I like your analysis, but I don't think you can do the above off one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom