FSU Game Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

FSU Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, Kia Nurse and KLS played horribly. Those two players are really going to step up their games. Last year they didn't draw the other teams better defenders. This year will be a different story. They really need to step up their game for UConn to be successful.

Reaction Score
How many close games have these girls played in a UConn uniform? Against a ranked team? On the road?

The expectations of UConn fans can be ridiculous.
I thought they hung in there quite well considering the new territory they were dealing with. The first game of the season, on the road, against a pretty tough team and to battle the adversity that they did. They made boo boos and yet they always seemed to find themselves and make a play here or there to counteract a poor shot or a turnover or a defensive lapse. Well done!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I like games like this! UCONN dominates so much that I think it will be a fun season. I will admit some chest discomfort may arise but I am looking forward to some close games. Even with that to be able to watch Geno coach this team and these players! They are gonna grow and get better as the season progresses. I am on board and all about it ladies!

We are UCONN!!!

Reaction Score
I have to say Chong really showed me something tonight. She made a couple of very key plays late in this game and made a difference. Collier was really impressive, particularly in the second half and her block prevented a crazy collapse in the last minute. I do think that the call to give FSU possession was the wrong call and it could have ended ugly.
Chong's problems has never been offense. Her problem is she can't defend at all. She was really slow getting out on the 3 point shooters tonight as well.

Reaction Score
Best game I have ever watched for a long time.
Go Napheez, Go Saniya. Go Husky..
I even saw a few good things from Butler earlier in the game. I think we'll get more cohesive and really inevitably be pretty darn good. I was surprised we didn't see our other freshman play tonight. It seems we could have used a bit more size and toughness throughout the game.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
They scored 78 points with virtually nothing from Nurse, Williams and not smart play by Samuelson. Also, they outscored FS in the lane. If Williams, Nurse, and Samuelson start playing to their potential and Chong and Collier continue their good play Uconn will average 80 points or more. They also must get better at the free throw line. It will take time. If Chong had had the kind of game Nurse had she probably would not see the floor in a meaning game for a long time.

Again, foul shooting wasn't an issue (16-21). Rebounding and holding onto the ball are this team's clear weaknesses early on. FSU had 17 more FG attempts and 3 more free throws.

Reaction Score
I even saw a few good things from Butler earlier in the game. I think we'll get more cohesive and really inevitably be pretty darn good. I was surprised we didn't see our other freshman play tonight. It seems we could have used a bit more size and toughness throughout the game.

Wonder why Kyla did not get in the game at all even with all the foul troubles.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Baylor has pulled ahead 63-61 against UCLA. Monique Billings shorts look like 1970's throwbacks. All of the team have shorter shorts than normal. I've seen some young ladies around WCBB tuck their short under, but these just look odd. Her choice, but I prefer them long. 'LA's Canada is sick. She's just a monster, and Baylor is having trouble with this smaller, quick team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, Kia Nurse and KLS played horribly. Those two players are really going to step up their games. Last year they didn't draw the other teams better defenders. This year will be a different story. They really need to step up their game for UConn to be successful.
I agree with your thoughts regarding Nurse but I thought KLS played appreciably better (than Nurse) though not nearly as well as I'd like. She was saddled with foul issues, having 4 midway through the 3rd quarter and still managed to make a few key baskets that helped the team stay in the hunt. She showed a great deal of poise to hang in there, on an off night. Nurse was nowhere to be found!

Reaction Score
CLEARLY Pheese gets the nod on this one, but KUDOS to Butler and Tommy for playing good games. Butler was tough, although one bad call (the OOB at the end) and several non-calls in the paint hurt her. Tommy was at her best, and I hope that her confidence takes the boost it should from this one.

Lou played VERY well with 4 fouls. I feel bad for Nurse who played well but couldn't hit the broad-side of a barn, and then got caught holding the wrong end of the dipstick when the coaches failed on the late foul issue. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Rotten, moldy, diseased, vermin-infested tomatoes to the stripey fools with whistles. Haven't seen anything this bad since L'ville mugged Baylor a few years ago, or the coin-toss SNAFU against the Steelers. I'd be pleased to never see them coach a game again. At any level. I think this would have been a 10-15 point win for UConn WITH Romero playing, but not with those g0bshytes calling the game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm not referring to this particular team. The last four tight games UConn has been in have been a clusterf&*! late. Stanford, ND, ND, and now FSU.
I agree UConn lost its composure during the Stanford game (say, didn't they win the championship that season?) but not in the ND games. Or the FSU game, for that matter. They made dumb mistakes, sure, but that's inexperience and not loss of composure.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Chong's problems has never been offense. Her problem is she can't defend at all. She was really slow getting out on the 3 point shooters tonight as well.
So was Samuelson. One time instead of closing on a three point shooter, she went away from her and the player hit the three.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Texas meanwhile is running into the lady I think is tied with Muffet as the 2nd best in WCBB, Tara. Stanford by 6 in the 2nd. They are precise and patient on offense and defense. Meanwhile in Waco Baylor's size has worn down UCLA late as Baylor has pulled away to lead 81-63.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I agree UConn lost its composure during the Stanford game (say, didn't they win the championship that season?) but not in the ND games. Or the FSU game, for that matter. They made dumb mistakes, sure, but that's inexperience and not loss of composure.

Not just composure. Poor coaching decisions. Leaving Doty on the floor late at ND which allowed them to trap her instead of fouling. Not fouling McBride prior to the three with little time remaining. Not fouling or at least guarding Orange. Having Kiah Stokes on the floor in the final minutes at Stanford where she made some awful decisions. KML dribbling the ball up the floor and not getting a shot off as time expired. The strange lob play to Stewart that resulted in the game-losing TO when UConn could've held for the last shot in a tie game against ND.

Reaction Score
UCLA lost the three point touch. Late in 4th qtr., Baylor up 19. Cox for Baylor hardly played, though started. Brown and Mompremier had great efforts.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not just composure. Poor coaching decisions. Leaving Doty on the floor late at ND which allowed them to trap her instead of fouling. Not fouling McBride prior to the three with little time remaining. Not fouling or at least guarding Orange. Having Kiah Stokes on the floor in the final minutes at Stanford where she made some awful decisions. KML dribbling the ball up the floor and not getting a shot off as time expired. The strange lob play to Stewart that resulted in the game-losing TO when UConn could've held for the last shot in a tie game against ND.
Only a UConn fan has the luxury of remembering losses in such detail because there have been so few of them.

Seeing that UConn won the championship in the years of the Stanford and ND losses, I'm having a hard time building up any outrage over three losses over four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom