FSU Game Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

FSU Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Really entertaining game to start the season for UCONN. UCONN looks very different and isn't the imposing monster it has been for pretty much the last 8-9 years, but I thought this was actually a great showing for the Huskies. They for sure have championship potential this year, it'll just be a more challenging season for Geno than he's used to. The preseason will definitely test the Huskies, but this game felt a little like the Stanford loss 2 years ago where everything was a little helter skelter, but you could see the foundation and talent was there for UCONN to blossom into a great team.

Chong was outstanding, as was Collier. Other players showed great things too. Butler looked much improved, Dangerfield looks ready to contribute, Williams showed better range, KLS looked to attack more, etc. UCONN's ball movement was far better than FSU's, they had 20 assists in their first big game. Not bad at all, especially considering you just lost your Big 3 and had an awful game from Nurse.

Post defense and rebounding will be the challenge for this team. Collier/Williams/Butler are the main standout rebounders for this team, but they'll have a hard time time stopping teams like South Carolina, Baylor, and even Notre Dame on the glass. Defense has a way to go, but you have Geno coaching this team, so they'll get there. Look at the improvement of the Huskies in 2015 from when they gave up 80+ to Stanford early in the year and then held a great Notre Dame team to just 53 in the title game 5 months later.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Really entertaining game to start the season for UCONN. UCONN looks very different and isn't the imposing monster it has been for pretty much the last 8-9 years, but I thought this was actually a great showing for the Huskies. They for sure have championship potential this year, it'll just be a more challenging season for Geno than he's used to. The preseason will definitely test the Huskies, but this game felt a little like the Stanford loss 2 years ago where everything was a little helter skelter, but you could see the foundation and talent was there for UCONN to blossom into a great team.

Chong was outstanding, as was Collier. Other players showed great things too. Butler looked much improved, Dangerfield looks ready to contribute, Williams showed better range, KLS looked to attack more, etc. UCONN's ball movement was far better than FSU's, they had 20 assists in their first big game. Not bad at all, especially considering you just lost your Big 3 and had an awful game from Nurse.

Post defense and rebounding will be the challenge for this team. Collier/Williams/Butler are the main standout rebounders for this team, but they'll have a hard time time stopping teams like South Carolina, Baylor, and even Notre Dame on the glass. Defense has a way to go, but you have Geno coaching this team, so they'll get there. Look at the improvement of the Huskies in 2015 from when they gave up 80+ to Stanford early in the year and then held a great Notre Dame team to just 53 in the title game 5 months later.
Thanks for the clear-eyed view of where the team stands. There are an awful lot of teams that would like to have UConn's problems.

If anyone was expecting Geno to just plug Lou in for Stewie, Napheesa for Morgan, and Crystal for Moriah, you need to readjust your expectations. They will have great games, good games, bad games, and awful games and it will take a while until they learn to all have good to great games every time out. Meanwhile, enjoy the ride!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think all the players on this team are struggling a little in finding the right balance between aggressiveness and deference to teammates (as they mostly did last year as well.) I felt in watching Nurse specifically, that it was probably the hardest for her - she is the only 2 year starter returning, and I saw indecision about how much ownership she wanted to take. I felt the same with Chong until the second half, when she appeared to decide 'duck it, I am just going to do my thing!'

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It concerns me that there is such a negative tone in some comments regarding Nurse. The fact that Geno kept her in the game should be proof enough of his confidence in her. Who knows whether FSU defense was aligned in a way to focus on her? I am certainly not smart enough to figure that out, but I do know she has been stellar for us and one game - a victory that was not at all certain- does not indicate anything. Remember, Geno pays no attention to the stat sheet, as impressive or unimpressive as it may be for each player, but to the heart with which they played. Just remember her "fight" to keep the ball from two FSU players who were clearly in harms way if they did not back off, which one of them did with arms in the air in a sign of surrender. That is what Kia brings!!!!!!!
I wouldnt have been surprised if she got called for throwing elbows, that was dangerous

Reaction Score
It concerns me that there is such a negative tone in some comments regarding Nurse. The fact that Geno kept her in the game should be proof enough of his confidence in her. Who knows whether FSU defense was aligned in a way to focus on her? I am certainly not smart enough to figure that out, but I do know she has been stellar for us and one game - a victory that was not at all certain- does not indicate anything. Remember, Geno pays no attention to the stat sheet, as impressive or unimpressive as it may be for each player, but to the heart with which they played. Just remember her "fight" to keep the ball from two FSU players who were clearly in harms way if they did not back off, which one of them did with arms in the air in a sign of surrender. That is what Kia brings!!!!!!!

I wouldnt have been surprised if she got called for throwing elbows, that was dangerous
I always thought "claiming" a rebound in this manner was OK if both elbows get swung while both hands/arms are engaged in holding the ball - in other words the ball gets swung too, limiting the range and speed of the elbows. Seen it 100 times and never saw it get called. An aggressive play, but not just wild flying elbows. ??

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I always thought "claiming" a rebound in this manner was OK if both elbows get swung while both hands/arms are engaged in holding the ball - in other words the ball gets swung too, limiting the range and speed of the elbows. Seen it 100 times and never saw it get called. An aggressive play, but not just wild flying elbows. ??
I have seen the opposite-player control foul for swinging the elbows with the ball even when the player doesn't make contact.
Always appreciated it being called early also, as that might prevent injury later in the game.
Here is a quick video from a men's game where there was no contact made.

Reaction Score
I have seen the opposite-player control foul for swinging the elbows with the ball even when the player doesn't make contact.
Always appreciated it being called early also, as that might prevent injury later in the game.
I don't recall seeing anyone get injured from this maneuver either (men or women). Maybe preventing injury = "Get your hands off this ball and stay outta my way!"

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't recall seeing anyone get injured from this maneuver either (men or women). Maybe preventing injury = "Get your hands off this ball and stay outta my way!"
It is not a legal basketball move even when no contact occurs. It has been a rule for the past few years.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm always concerned about tone but I'm also realistic. Kia had a bad game specifically missing ALL her open shots. To say Geno left her in and obviously has confidence and Geno doesn't care about stats is not being realistic IMO. Kia had a bad game, not her first, probably not her last. She is playing the PG position which many people have opined is not her best/natural position. She'll "carpe diem" the next game.

Reaction Score
Let's face it: Kia is indeed streaky. We all wish for the sake of UConn and especially for her own sake when she goes forward as a pro that she were more dependably consistent. She is an extremely solid floor player, but her shots are really inconsistent. And on that one drive where she was called for a charge, she was out of control. She sometimes tries to force the flow, rather than going with it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think all the players on this team are struggling a little in finding the right balance between aggressiveness and deference to teammates (as they mostly did last year as well.) I felt in watching Nurse specifically, that it was probably the hardest for her - she is the only 2 year starter returning, and I saw indecision about how much ownership she wanted to take. I felt the same with Chong until the second half, when she appeared to decide 'duck it, I am just going to do my thing!'

I saw Kia's indecision too, but I thought she was that at because she was trying too hard to do too much on the floor. It is nice to once again have things to discuss - No?

Reaction Score
I believe UConn just racked up its first single-digit win since Groundhog Day, 2013, at St. John's.

The feeling is foreign to our fan base. Now that we have had a taste, can we please go back to winning by 40?

Reaction Score
I saw Kia's indecision too, but I thought she was that at because she was trying too hard to do too much on the floor. It is nice to once again have things to discuss - No?
Kia's best games last year came after her worst. We will need this performance at Baylor.

Reaction Score
I agree. That's a very beneficial attitude to have at most times. It loosens a player up. Replacing the "I" with "We", I'd have my team say it QUIETLY in the pre game huddle and coming out of timeouts. Actually it works great pre-shot when playing golf. Any tension goes away.

Reaction Score
Just a quick reference to the "elbow swinging" discussion. An article in the Hartford Courant titled UCONN Women Vs. Florida State Gallery, slide # 13 of 30 shows Kia holding the ball firmly with both hands, elbows tucked closely to her body, surrounded by two Seminoles. I would think it common sense that "throwing an elbow" requires the elbow to be extended in such a way it has an action independent of the rest of ones body. An analogy would be saying some one threw a punch but there fist was in contact with their chest the entire time. In sum I think Kia was very strong and aggressive in keeping the ball from being tied up by two of the best Seminoles and it was not a foul. I love her determination and fearlessness.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just a quick reference to the "elbow swinging" discussion. An article in the Hartford Courant titled UCONN Women Vs. Florida State Gallery, slide # 13 of 30 shows Kia holding the ball firmly with both hands, elbows tucked closely to her body, surrounded by two Seminoles. I would think it common sense that "throwing an elbow" requires the elbow to be extended in such a way it has an action independent of the rest of ones body. An analogy would be saying some one threw a punch but there fist was in contact with their chest the entire time. In sum I think Kia was very strong and aggressive in keeping the ball from being tied up by two of the best Seminoles and it was not a foul. I love her determination and fearlessness.
The "video" tells a different story and has a longer time of Kia attempting to secure the ball between two FSU defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom