Frustrated By Quality of Officiating | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Frustrated By Quality of Officiating

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
With regard to the Mabrey/William situation, did ND have a TO left to be able to advance the ball after a made FT? Would MSU have tried to intentionally miss the second one to advance the clock? TM would have been in the game and could have grabbed a rebound. Arike’s shot would have been much harder if ND was trailing as opposed to tied.

ND took a timeout with 3 seconds left so would’ve had one. William was around an 85% ft shooter if I’m not mistaken, and she has the clutch gene. She likely hits both. I don’t think there’s any way MSU intentionally misses with a full 5-6 seconds left. I do agree though that the pressure for ND to hit the shot would be much greater though.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
It was almost like it was scripted from start to finish.

My husband has been saying this for years, and I have been saying...no it's not. After this weekend, I am starting to believe it. Not only did Notre Dame get special treatment with Shepherd, but the Refs helped them win the Final Four and advance to the Championship, and not only advance, but win the Championship. UConn's starters had more fouls than Notre Dame's players, and the same with Mississippi State's starters, and McCowan for Mississippi State actually fouled out. When Mabrey made the statement "Notre Dame is better than UConn", she can say that when you have people calling the game lopsided. From Muffet down to the players, they have an attitude of entitlement....like somebody owe them something.

Reaction Score
Also, in regards to the Morgan William/Mabrey situation....if they do call the foul, Morgan William goes to the line and most likely knocks down a pair. ND calls a timeout with 4-6 seconds left and likely runs the same type of play (look first to Shepard, then go to Arike) and chances are, you'd have the same result IMO.

There will be missed calls, and there will be bad calls made. Players and coaches have to recognize how the game is being reffed and adjust their play accordingly. I don't think any of the teams can solely blame the refs for losing games. UCONN had several bad turnovers late, Louisville missed an open putback at the end of regulation and Mississippi State missed chippies and free throws. Also, Fuerhing should not have slapped the floor so aggressively--whether you agreed with the tech call or not, an overly emotional reaction like that is always a gray area....she should've been smarter.

I have watched the replay of the flurry at midcourt of the Title Game multiple times and I swear I don't think MS State was in the bonus; minimally they get the ball side out at around midcourt (or does it advance?) with that four to six seconds on the clock. If you're old school of the 'the ball don't lie" pickup theory...Ogunbowale's shot is how the game should end. It would have been criminal if they swallowed the whistle as McCowan fouled and they allowed the snowbird basket for the win; in fact I'd almost demand some sort of federal inquiry. A commentator locally was saying if it's a foul at the end of the first half it should be a foul to end the game...and the play on Myesha Hines-Allen was a foul no matter how you slice it. Personally I had the biggest problem with the second she got levied because there was minimal at best contact, certainly compared to how Asia Durr was enduring running the baseline or off the ball or how we were bump jammed turning the corner on pick-and-rolls.

That said my impression of the six or seven games I attended in person for UofL this year coupled with watching innumberable games is that the officiating in WCBB is exceptionally inconsistent. Normally when you are in a league there are some generalities you can rely on from game-to-game in the men's game, i.e. the Big East was always hand-to-hand in the lane, the Big Ten was physical on the backboards, the whistle was tight in the ACC. In the women's game there isn't that generality; there are common officials but it doesn't seem like common crews.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I posted this on the ND vs UCONN game thread but it applies here also:

I've said many times that WBB, both college and the WNBA have the worst refs of any college sport!
In the UCONN vs ND semi finals of the 2018 Final Four the chosen referees were, Jason Jones, Michael McConnell, and Karen Preato! WHO??????????
You would think that the Final Four would use the most experienced refs available. Where were: Dee Kantner, Lisa Mattingly, Bryan Enterline, Eric Brewton, Tom Danaher, Maj Forsberg, Cameron Inouye, Denise Brooks, or Tina Napier, among the most veteran officials! Referees that have worked the biggest games, that are familiar with the 2 teams and worked games going down to the last second! ND went to the line 23 times to UCONN's 6, if the veteran officials were working the game would the difference in the number of free throws have been different? Both teams got burned by bad ref calls! But UCONN got hurt worse by having 3 of their best players called for 4 fouls each, Gabby Williams, Kia Nurse, & Katie Lou Samuelson, which certainly affected their defensive style of play late in the game!
I think the inexperience of the chosen referees had something to do with the outcome!

Reaction Score
Back to the officials I do find it hard to understand how a moving pick is never called and is a constant in the woman's game.
That is my sister's biggest complaint. It is almost never called. Let's face it, the refs are human, so of course they will miss some calls, but they also seem to have their biases. As a long suffering RU fan, we have had to contend with some calls over the years that have really seemed to favor our opponent - especially when it was Tennessee or with certain officials (Tina Napier and clockgate anyone?). I have also felt that many of the refs call less fouls on both ND and UConn than whoever their opponent was over the years. Maybe they actually commit less fouls, maybe they don't, but the refs seem more inclined to give certain teams and players the benefit of the doubt IMO. They also call more touch fouls on the guards than over the back on the bigs. I wouldn't have called the technical on a player for just slapping the floor - as long as she didn't also say something derogatory to the official, but I have seen technicals called on players for how they bounce the ball after a call they don't like, so again, it depends on who the ref is. L'ville should be glad they never called a technical on Jeff for being out of the coaches box, which he was constantly. They called McCallie for it in the Duke / UConn game.

Reaction Score
That is my sister's biggest complaint. It is almost never called. Let's face it, the refs are human, so of course they will miss some calls, but they also seem to have their biases. As a long suffering RU fan, we have had to contend with some calls over the years that have really seemed to favor our opponent - especially when it was Tennessee or with certain officials (Tina Napier and clockgate anyone?). I have also felt that many of the refs call less fouls on both ND and UConn than whoever their opponent was over the years. Maybe they actually commit less fouls, maybe they don't, but the refs seem more inclined to give certain teams and players the benefit of the doubt IMO. They also call more touch fouls on the guards than over the back on the bigs. I wouldn't have called the technical on a player for just slapping the floor - as long as she didn't also say something derogatory to the official, but I have seen technicals called on players for how they bounce the ball after a call they don't like, so again, it depends on who the ref is. L'ville should be glad they never called a technical on Jeff for being out of the coaches box, which he was constantly. They called McCallie for it in the Duke / UConn game.

I don’t think anyone will deny that the top Women’s College Basketball teams tend to get favorable treatment from the refs. It’s been that way for years, and will probably stay that way for many more. It’s good for the sport for the top teams to make it into the high profile games. The key is to become one of those “high profile” teams. Uconn has been there for years, prior to that it was tennessee. ND is getting there. Just look at the stats, how many teams had fewer fouls per game called against them than Uconn? Probably none, or at least no major conference teams.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
1 comment on officiating:

Teams are not automatically entitled to an equal number of free throws. 23 foul shots to 6 is not in itself indicative of bad or biased refereeing. As has been noted by many, ND was more aggressive off the dribble and drives are typically more likely to result in free throws than jump shots.

If you feel that individual calls were wrong, you're certainly entitled to that opinion. But citing the "23 to 6" as though that stat alone proves anything is strange to me.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone will deny that the top Women’s College Basketball teams tend to get favorable treatment from the refs. It’s been that way for years, and will probably stay that way for many more. It’s good for the sport for the top teams to make it into the high profile games. The key is to become one of those “high profile” teams. Uconn has been there for years, prior to that it was tennessee. ND is getting there. Just look at the stats, how many teams had fewer fouls per game called against them than Uconn? Probably none, or at least no major conference teams.
Geno teaches players to play defense without fouling. He says only bad players commit fouls. At least at UConn, there is a conscious effort not to foul. Contrast that with other coaches who teach overly aggressive defense, figuring that refs can’t call a foul on every play. I’d put Tennessee and Rutgers in those categories in the past.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Teams are not automatically entitled to an equal number of free throws. 23 foul shots to 6 is not in itself indicative of bad or biased refereeing. As has been noted by many, ND was more aggressive off the dribble and drives are typically more likely to result in free throws than jump shots.

If you feel that individual calls were wrong, you're certainly entitled to that opinion. But citing the "23 to 6" as though that stat alone proves anything is strange to me.
I agree that 23-6 proves little to nothing. However, 21 FTAs in the second half compared to 2 in the first half suggests something. Some of it was more aggressive offense, but I really think that the refs changed in the 4th quarter. Major contact was allowed in the first 3 quarters, but not in the 4th.

I don’t know if you’be been on the board long enough, but starting in the 2011 Final Four and running for 3-4 years, those of us who are UConn fans thought that ND’s “flip and flop” was an absolute joke. Novosel was perhaps the worst perpetrator. In this year’s game, the ND players were looking to score. A few years ago, ND players drove the lane, threw themselves to the ground, and tossed the ball into the air. Often they got the foul call. It made a mockery of the game, in my opinion. So anything that happened this year is viewed in the context of that history.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The more times I watch the more William/Mabrey play, the more I think Mabrey made clean contact on the ball before colliding with William. In real time (and in the game thread), I thought it was an obvious foul so I totally understand that perspective.

I wish I could get a decent screenshot of the replay. This is the best I can do.

upload_2018-4-3_11-40-58.png

Per Rule 10, Section 2 of the 2018 & 2019 NCAA Women's Basketball rules: "Contact that is incidental to an effort by an opponent to reach a loose ball, or contact that results when opponents are in equally favorable positions to perform normal defensive or offensive movement, should be permitted even though the contact may be severe."

Reaction Score
Geno teaches players to play defense without fouling. He says only bad players commit fouls. At least at UConn, there is a conscious effort not to foul. Contrast that with other coaches who teach overly aggressive defense, figuring that refs can’t call a foul on every play. I’d put Tennessee and Rutgers in those categories in the past.

So are you saying that ND getting to the free throw line more than Uconn wasn’t a sign that the refs were playing favorites?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So are you saying that ND getting to the free throw line more than Uconn wasn’t a sign that the refs were playing favorites?
I think there may have been multiple factors involved.

I think the refs played a role in determining the outcome of all 3 games. I would hope that the incompetence would balance out, but in my mind, it didn’t.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I received a survey form from the NCAA asking me to comment on the tournament. Most of it focused on the venue and related events, but I expressed my opinion that the officiating was horrible and likely impacted the outcome of all three games. My honest opinion, as unbiased as I can be.

Reaction Score
I think there may have been multiple factors involved.

I think the refs played a role in determining the outcome of all 3 games. I would hope that the incompetence would balance out, but in my mind, it didn’t.

Just to confirm, when Uconn gets fewer fouls called it’s because they play disciplined basketball. When the other team gets fewer fouls called it’s because the refs are incompetent.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just to confirm, when Uconn gets fewer fouls called it’s because they play disciplined basketball. When the other team gets fewer fouls called it’s because the refs are incompetent.
No, that’s not what I’m saying. UConn tried to play disciplined defense. They don’t always succeed. You probably know ND better. Have you heard Muffet harp on playing defense without fouling? It’s a legit question, and I don’t know the answer. If you listen to Geno regularly, you know it’s a focus for him.

Reaction Score
No, that’s not what I’m saying. UConn tried to play disciplined defense. They don’t always succeed. You probably know ND better. Have you heard Muffet harp on playing defense without fouling? It’s a legit question, and I don’t know the answer. If you listen to Geno regularly, you know it’s a focus for him.

When the team got down to seven players, it was don’t foul on offense or defense.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When the team got down to seven players, it was don’t foul on offense or defense.
Probably true this year. In general, what does Muffet teach or say about fouling?

Reaction Score
This is freaking ridiculous to call out refs. Do yall not recognize how well these games were played this year? This was easily the greatest final four in WCBB history, and for yall to not recognize the level of basketball that was played, is truly depressing. Do yall really want a game to end at the foul line? Ridiculous! That Teiara Mcowan foul was barely a foul if at all, and I applaud the ref for not making that call. There is a lot of contact in all these games, and not every call will be made, particularly at the end. Do you hear Geno complaining about the refs after the game? NO! So you shouldn't either! It's frankly pathetic that refs are being blamed.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is freaking ridiculous to call out refs. Do yall not recognize how well these games were played this year? This was easily the greatest final four in WCBB history, and for yall to not recognize the level of basketball that was played, is truly depressing. Do yall really want a game to end at the foul line? Ridiculous! That Teiara Mcowan foul was barely a foul if at all, and I applaud the ref for not making that call. There is a lot of contact in all these games, and not every call will be made, particularly at the end. Do you hear Geno complaining about the refs after the game? NO! So you shouldn't either! It's frankly pathetic that refs are being blamed.
The games were very exciting for spectators, but I thought the players were way better than the officials. In overtime games and last-second wins, there is a high probability that officiating had an impact on who won. I agree that Friday was probably the best night in the history of WCBB, but the officiating was exposed as poor.

Reaction Score

I agree with you. Coach McGraw doesn’t agree with us, however. :(

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score

I had a little giggle at your post. Why, because of course you don't think there was anything wrong, you are ND.

The foul inequity is a problem. It is a problem when the same calls are not being made against both teams, it is called inconsistency and the womens game deserves some kind of consistency in the final four of the NCAAs.

I enjoyed the close games and the excitement but I can also step back and realize that something was amiss. It was not only in this game but all the games. Apart from inconsistency, some of the calls were blatantly against the rules. You cannot swallow your whistle for one call and not another, thats not how it works. As far as Uconn is concerned, they were called for fouls that didn't exist and they are a team that tries all season not to foul by playing defense the right way. ND don't play D very well and yet they were allowed to get away with it by the refs. The same thing happened with McCowan. 1 foul the whole game is just flat out not what happened. Then the blatant foul by Mabrey just should never have been ignored by the refs.

I also feel that the constant feel sorry for me attitude by McGraw had its affect not only on the refs but also on the media. I ask you, what is worse for the game, a team that has won and played the game the right way or a coach that constantly pushes the woe is me card, every time she is interviewed. Every team has its adversities and most play with injuries and small rotations but most don't whine about it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I had a little giggle at your post. Why, because of course you don't think there was anything wrong, you are ND.

The foul inequity is a problem. It is a problem when the same calls are not being made against both teams, it is called inconsistency and the womens game deserves some kind of consistency in the final four of the NCAAs.

I enjoyed the close games and the excitement but I can also step back and realize that something was amiss. It was not only in this game but all the games. Apart from inconsistency, some of the calls were blatantly against the rules. You cannot swallow your whistle for one call and not another, thats not how it works. As far as Uconn is concerned, they were called for fouls that didn't exist and they are a team that tries all season not to foul by playing defense the right way. ND don't play D very well and yet they were allowed to get away with it by the refs. The same thing happened with McCowan. 1 foul the whole game is just flat out not what happened. Then the blatant foul by Mabrey just should never have been ignored by the refs.

I also feel that the constant feel sorry for me attitude by McGraw had its affect not only on the refs but also on the media. I ask you, what is worse for the game, a team that has won and played the game the right way or a coach that constantly pushes the woe is me card, every time she is interviewed. Every team has its adversities and most play with injuries and small rotations but most don't whine about it.
Thank you for your objective and articulate post!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom