From the site that broke the Maryland to Big Ten news- UVA likely to join | Page 3 | The Boneyard

From the site that broke the Maryland to Big Ten news- UVA likely to join

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This isn't about on-field preformance or TV ratings. This is about quality academics with a large DMA (regardless of how the ratings for that DMA actually look). Look at who the B1G just invited for heaven's sake. Rutgers and Marland are below average in terms of both athletic performance and TV ratings/attractiveness. But they have quality academics and are located in an area with a large potential subscriber base for the B1G Network. Georgia Tech and Virginia are both very similar in profile to Maryland and Rutgers. And that is the most recent example we have of the criteria that the B1G is working off of.

Pretty much. Georgia Tech is held in pretty esteem in most places that aren't close minded like New England.

Reaction Score
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203846804578101281578171860.html?mod=WSJ_hp_EditorsPicks#project=COLLEGES1106&articleTabs=interactive

According to this poll UVA fans make up 24% of the college football fans in VA vs. 29% fans of Vatech

In Georgia 45% are UGA fans while only 14% are GT fans. GT is the red headed step child in Georgia. No one cares about them, its SEC country. I would say there are probably equal fans of Bama or Florida in Georgia compared to GT fans and thats in their home state on their home turf.

Okay. So which SEC program is looking to leave the SEC? Help me out here.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
AP@AP_RU14
B1G is believed to have extended an offer to UNC to be its 15th member. UNC membership hinges on either UVA or GT also joining. #B1G
Retweeted by Tuxedo Yoda
Not sure who this is but... Reading between the lines a bit more, I interpret this as B1G is going to take 2 or 0, not 1, (but nothing to rule out 4 or 6 eventually), and that UVA/GT is not a twofer. Whichever of UVA / GT is the 16th only gets in if UNC accepts*

*as of right now, subject to change? Or if the 1 B1G goes to 18+?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
. It would be sort of like saying well, Kate Upton won't date me so I'll ask Amy Farrah Fowler.

Ive always had a thing for Mayim Bialik. Not sure what it is but i find her incredibly sexy and Kate Upton does nothing for me. Never liked blondes. Not sure of the point of this post but thought Id post it anyway.

Reaction Score
Not sure who this is but... Reading between the lines a bit more, I interpret this as B1G is going to take 2 or 0, not 1, (but nothing to rule out 4 or 6 eventually), and that UVA/GT is not a twofer. Whichever of UVA / GT is the 16th only gets in if UNC accepts*

Let's see if they can get two schools to say no to more money.

Reaction Score
Okay. So which SEC program is looking to leave the SEC? Help me out here.
What does this even mean?

No SEC team is going to leave. I was simply pointing out that Georgia cares less about GT and it would be a losing proposition for the B1G to add them. You said GT fans out number UVA fans in VA.

I was pointing data to the contrary.

Reaction Score

I mentioned previously on this board I am very good friends with someone who has connections at UVA.

After just speaking with him he says from the person he knows UVA is not going anywhere or deciding on going anywhere until anoher ACC team leaves. Says UNC and UVA have a pact to stay put until they are forced to move.

MD lawsuit is also part of the decision making.

Reaction Score
What does this even mean?

No SEC team is going to leave. I was simply pointing out that Georgia cares less about GT and it would be a losing proposition for the B1G to add them. You said GT fans out number UVA fans in VA.

I was pointing data to the contrary.

I said Ga Tech is about as popular as UVA. And it probably is, and it gives the B1G greater penetration in the south.

I'm simply pointing out that saying that Georgia Tech isn't that popular is pointless unless you can present a school that is a better option that is willing to leave their current conference for the B1G, and meets the B1G criteria, whatever that may be.

If the B1g is picking Georgia Tech over UGA or South Carolina, then maybe you guys would have a point.

Reaction Score
SI and ESPN have not said a thing about this yet. Hmmm.
Wonder how warm this is.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I mentioned previously on this board I am very good friends with someone who has connections at UVA.

After just speaking with him he says from the person he knows UVA is not going anywhere or deciding on going anywhere until anoher ACC team leaves. Says UNC and UVA have a pact to stay put until they are forced to move.

MD lawsuit is also part of the decision making.
Makes sense. UConn fans have to hope for somebody (B1G, B12, SEC) to make some ACC school an offer they can't refuse. Gotta dislodge that first brick (well the second brick, MD was the first) before the ACC gets dismantled, or partially dismantled and invites UConn.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Wonder how warm this is.
SI and ESPN didn't say anything about RU, UMD until they were almost ready to schedule a press conference. So, either we're not quite there, or UNC is digging in its heels.

Heels... heh.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Wonder how warm this is.
It's actually mentioned on ESPN insider rumor blog. They never pick up any of the WVU know nothing's so this does have some traction.

But reading the MDinsider tweet makes me skeptical about the legitimacy of this info.

Reaction Score
SI and ESPN didn't say anything about RU, UMD until they were almost ready to schedule a press conference. So, either we're not quite there, or UNC is digging in its heels.

Heels... heh.

Tar Heels. "One such legend claims it to be a nickname given during the U.S. Civil War (conference realignment), because of the state's importance on the Confederate side (ACC), and the fact that the troops (school) "stuck to their ranks (conference) like they had tar on their heels"

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
There is VALUE and POTENTIAL in crushing the leftover BONES in order to extract the nutritious OILS and MARROW.

Think BRANDING and POSITION. Memphis also has a new a scoreboard. LOOK OUT.
Is it possible to be more Pudge than Pudge?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tar Heels. "One such legend claims it to be a nickname given during the U.S. Civil War (conference realignment), because of the state's importance on the Confederate side (ACC), and the fact that the troops (school) "stuck to their ranks (conference) like they had tar on their heels"
Actually the name was originally derisive, after the NC troops left the field, the north said you boys better put some tar on your heels so you'll stick.

Reaction Score
Actually the name was originally derisive, after the NC troops left the field, the north said you boys better put some tar on your heels so you'll stick.

Saw both versions on Wikipedia. Will have to wait and see which version they live up to in CR.

Reaction Score
I said Ga Tech is about as popular as UVA. And it probably is, and it gives the B1G greater penetration in the south.

I'm simply pointing out that saying that Georgia Tech isn't that popular is pointless unless you can present a school that is a better option that is willing to leave their current conference for the B1G, and meets the B1G criteria, whatever that may be.

If the B1g is picking Georgia Tech over UGA or South Carolina, then maybe you guys would have a point.

GT being only popular with 14% of the population is a huge deal. With close to zero demand to watch them the B1G would not get much in carriage fees and get into many households. No one in Georgia and going googley eyed about watching B1G football or sports with or without GT in the conference.

UVA is 180% more popular in VA than GT is in Georgia.

If you take the population of each state and multiply it by the % fans in the link I agve you come out with:

1.4 million GT fans vs. 2 million UVA fans

Not to mention by adding UVA you entirely lock down the DC/NOVA/beltway area. By adding GT you lock down nothing and become a 2nd/3rd rate option in the Georgia/ATL market. GT gives the B1G nothing except a very minor presence in ATL, smack dab in the middle of SEC country.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It all makes sense. Not sure why UNC needs GT or UVA other than for a geographic component. If the Big 10 got UNC and anyone that would be huge for them.

Reaction Score
GT being only popular with 14% of the population is a huge deal. With close to zero demand to watch them the B1G would not get much in carriage fees and get into many households. No one in Georgia and going googley eyed about watching B1G football or sports with or without GT in the conference.

UVA is 180% more popular in VA than GT is in Georgia.

If you take the population of each state and multiply it by the % fans in the link I agve you come out with:

1.4 million GT fans vs. 2 million UVA fans

Not to mention by adding UVA you entirely lock down the DC/NOVA/beltway area. By adding GT you lock down nothing and become a 2nd/3rd rate option in the Georgia/ATL market. GT gives the B1G nothing except a very minor presence in ATL, smack dab in the middle of SEC country.

Rutgers may not even be the most popular college team in their region. Expansion is being played by a different set of rules. And 14% in Georgia, where college football is a big deal, might be better than 20 something % in Virginia where it really isn't as big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom