From the site that broke the Maryland to Big Ten news- UVA likely to join | Page 2 | The Boneyard

From the site that broke the Maryland to Big Ten news- UVA likely to join

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nebraska was AAU at the time (I know the whole story that everyone knew they would soon be kicked out...but they were still AAU). The only school that the B1G will add without AAU status is Notre Dame...that is the one exception they will make. Or I guess in an extreme case where Texas is willing come to the B1G only if they take Oklahoma (who is not AAU)...but that isn't happening. Otherwise, AAU is a requirment for membership.

What information do you have that you are speaking in such absolute terms? Pretty sure Delaney has said multiple times, recently, that they like schools in contiguous states that are AAU schools, but it's not an absolute requirement. Nebraska is ranked in the 100's, is not in the AAU, and everyone in the B1G was well aware they were getting kicked out when they were invited.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Nebraska was AAU at the time (I know the whole story that everyone knew they would soon be kicked out...but they were still AAU). The only school that the B1G will add without AAU status is Notre Dame...that is the one exception they will make. Or I guess in an extreme case where Texas is willing come to the B1G only if they take Oklahoma (who is not AAU)...but that isn't happening. Otherwise, AAU is a requirment for membership.

its not a "requirement". if it was then nebraska wouldnt be in the b10.

also, why can't the b10 athletics and cic get together and say if u invite school x, they can't b apart of the cic until they get certain requirments. so add them sports wise and they can work to achivee the cic part. the aau is so overrated when it comes to playing sports its unreal.

Reaction Score
Given where we are now, I would gladly sign up for the conference we thought we were getting when we upgraded.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing any of this in the absence of a Maryland settlement.

Whose to say that isn't already known +/- 2-3 Million. Interesting that all this noise is the day after the court ruling to uphold the case in the NC court system. Maybe that is the only unknown piece of information for making sound assumptions as to the settlement amount.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing any of this in the absence of a Maryland settlement.
Unless the ACC is stalling to delay further expansion. Then you might as well poke the hive.

Reaction Score
Whose to say that isn't already known +/- 2-3 Million. Interesting that all this noise is the day after the court ruling to uphold the case in the NC court system. Maybe that is the only unknown piece of information for making sound assumptions as to the settlement amount.

No idea, but these sort of things are hard to keep secret. There are a great many people and institutions that have vested interests in the outcome of that case, for many different reasons.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

with what the court ruled, they basically now have to come to a agreement outside court. the acc can not let md get to a discovery phase in the court. md can then put swofford on the stand and rip him with big east bits and so on with espn talks. its all but a agreement now. maybe there is one about to surface and thats why everyone is gearing up.

i hold that my timeline for the acc is the fall before thanks giving and octobmer more likley. the b10 has until then to figure this out and get who it wants.

Reaction Score
I was just going to mention that. Either that has been decided and just not announced or this is really a shot in the dark rumor. I guess the B1G can feel free to invite who they want when they want but I'm sure UVA/UNC won't act until that mess is sorted out.

Reaction Score
Sorry Folks. I just had the name JSwafford come up on my caller ID and I answered it telling him to take me off his list, without listening to the full pitch. I may be a little paranoid but I am reluctant to give conference related information over the telephone when the other side initiates the call. How do I know its not a scam? Send me a letter if you are serious.

If/when JDelany calls I will report back.

Reaction Score

Given the numbers the Big Ten is talking about, it is utterly meaningless how much less than $52M Maryland ultimately pays. It just doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
Sorry Folks. I just had the name JSwafford come up on my caller ID and I answered it telling him to take me off his list, without listening to the full pitch. I may be a little paranoid but I am reluctant to give conference related information over the telephone when the other side initiates the call. How do I know its not a scam? Send me a letter if you are serious.

If/when JDelany calls I will report back.

I just sent a team of Operators to ensure all of your phonelines are disconnected, and that your cell phone is sufficiently jammed.

Reaction Score
The thing of it is, it just doesn't seem to give the B1G something worthwhile that they don't already have. It's contiguous but it doesn't give the B1G any of the southern zazz that they are missing.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Right, I mean Virginia and Georgia Tech? That's the best you can come up with? It's the Big 10 for heaven sake. Georgia Tech-Indiana isn't out drawing Georgia-LSU in this lifetime. And say what you will about Virginia's academics, athletics are nothing to right home about. It would be sort of like saying well, Kate Upton won't date me so I'll ask Amy Farrah Fowler.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's not as distant as you think. And it is not like you are taking Georgia Tech over Georgia. Georgia Tech is a much more valuable property than Rutgers. GT actually has a national championship and rivalry game with a team that matters. Georgia Tech is probably as popular in Georgia as UVA is in Virginia.

UVA, GT and UNC are good academically as well.
GT is a bit more national in terms of its student body, for engineering majors it's really up there in terms of state schools. I was at a biophysics / bioengineering meeting hosted by Yale a couple years ago, they invited labs from Harvard, Columbia (I think) and GT. Their football profile isn't on par with Nebraska or what have you, but my wild ass guess is they'd fit in the Big Ten better than most other schools from the south.

Reaction Score
Right, I mean Virginia and Georgia Tech? That's the best you can come up with? It's the Big 10 for heaven sake. Georgia Tech-Indiana isn't out drawing Georgia-LSU in this lifetime. And say what you will about Virginia's academics, athletics are nothing to right home about. It would be sort of like saying well, Kate Upton won't date me so I'll ask Amy Farrah Fowler.

Well, Georgia and LSU aren't really looking to the SEC now are they?

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Delany showed football wasn't the top priority in the MD/RU expansion. Perhaps that'll change, perhaps it'll stay the same. To be honest... if he hypothetically winds inviting UConn, everybody else will be saying about us what you said about UVA/GT.

Reaction Score

Not even sure who Amy Farrah Fowler is, but I bet if you gave her a boob job, nose job, butt implants, a ton of money, and had her invite her hot rich friends over all the time, she wouldn't be so bad. See where I am going with this? This was the thought with Rutgers.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

This isn't about on-field preformance or TV ratings. This is about quality academics with a large DMA (regardless of how the ratings for that DMA actually look). Look at who the B1G just invited for heaven's sake. Rutgers and Marland are below average in terms of both athletic performance and TV ratings/attractiveness. But they have quality academics and are located in an area with a large potential subscriber base for the B1G Network. Georgia Tech and Virginia are both very similar in profile to Maryland and Rutgers. And that is the most recent example we have of the criteria that the B1G is working off of.

Reaction Score
It's not as distant as you think. And it is not like you are taking Georgia Tech over Georgia. Georgia Tech is a much more valuable property than Rutgers. GT actually has a national championship and rivalry game with a team that matters. Georgia Tech is probably as popular in Georgia as UVA is in Virginia.

UVA, GT and UNC are good academically as well.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...#project=COLLEGES1106&articleTabs=interactive

According to this poll UVA fans make up 24% of the college football fans in VA vs. 29% fans of Vatech

In Georgia 45% are UGA fans while only 14% are GT fans. GT is the red headed step child in Georgia. No one cares about them, its SEC country. I would say there are probably equal fans of Bama or Florida in Georgia compared to GT fans and thats in their home state on their home turf.

Reaction Score
What I don't get is if the B1G gets into SEC territory, they are essentially poking one of the few bears left that can kick their . Going after UVA and UNC is getting into SEC territory. Heck, even the UVA and UNC fans prefer the SEC. Delaney's ego could backfire.

Let the SEC expand southwest. Let the B1G lock-up the Northeast. Do it already for f$%ks sake!

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203846804578101281578171860.html?mod=WSJ_hp_EditorsPicks#project=COLLEGES1106&articleTabs=interactive

According to this poll UVA fans make up 24% of the college football fans in VA vs. 29% fans of Vatech

In Georgia 45% are UGA fans while only 14% are GT fans. GT is the red headed step child in Georgia. No one cares about them, its SEC country. I would say there are probably equal fans of Bama or Florida in Georgia compared to GT fans and thats in their home state on their home turf.

From growing up in Georgia, I would agree. I have a few friends who were big GT fans (because their parents went there) but you are much more likely to see Florida, Alabama, Auburn, etc fans. Atlanta for a long time was THE major city in the Southeast (and still is to some extent). Graduates from these schools flock to the area.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
dream:

b10+uva/unc/gt/uconn
acc+cincy
sec+vt/ncst
b10+fsu/nd
pac+tex/tt/ok/okst/kan/kst/ist/tcu or bay
sec+wvu/tcu or bay/miami/clem(SC govt will force this so they dont get left out of big 3)
acc=cincy/lville/cuse/pitt/duke/wake/bc/temple/usf/ucf/army/navy
mwc+byu/utep/tulsa/uh/smu/utsa/tst
big south=all leftovers
mac+udel/albany/sbrook/odu...

junglehusky

Reaction Score
What I don't get is if the B1G gets into SEC territory, they are essentially poking one of the few bears left that can kick their . Going after UVA and UNC is getting into SEC territory. Heck, even the UVA and UNC fans prefer the SEC. Delaney's ego could backfire.
What can the SEC do to retaliate? Go after Penn State?

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Take back UVA and UNC....
images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics