From the site that broke the Maryland to Big Ten news- UVA likely to join | Page 8 | The Boneyard

From the site that broke the Maryland to Big Ten news- UVA likely to join

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If UG's second lowest rated game was GTech, we have our answer on the two programs. UG was pulled down by playing GTech. The Big 10 is not entering a market in which it can't even be competitive. It undermines the entire BTN revenue model.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
where are the school prez and ad's to deny these rumors??? they have been very public in the past with this stuff. why is everyone so quiet right now???

Reaction Score
where are the school prez and ad's to deny these rumors??? they have been very public in the past with this stuff. why is everyone so quiet right now???

This is an internet rumor. Will not see any sort of denial/non-denial until national media picks it up/it has legs. It's not legit yet. More legit than the WV twitter jabronies? Yes, but still not legit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If UG's second lowest rated game was GTech, we have our answer on the two programs. UG was pulled down by playing GTech. The Big 10 is not entering a market in which it can't even be competitive. It undermines the entire BTN revenue model.
From what I understand, actual ratings are entirely irrelevent to the BTN revenue model.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
IIRC didn't the B1G announce MD and Rutgers before they wanted to? I think there was some reference to third parties getting wind of the move and Delany decided to announce it sooner officially instead of having details of the move leak out unofficially. I would think that if the B1G was going to make a nother CR then Delany would lock that news down internally and make sure that any third parties were out of the loop completely.

Reaction Score
This is an internet rumor. Will not see any sort of denial/non-denial until national media picks it up/it has legs. It's not legit yet. More legit than the WV twitter jabronies? Yes, but still not legit.
The thing that lends credence here is that BTN reporters are talking about it, and it's been retweeted by a few legit people. Is it going to happen? Who knows, but there's too much smoke for there to be absolutely nothing to it.

pj

Reaction Score
If you're trying to shake stubborn ACC schools lose, one way is to create the illusion that other ACC schools are leaving, this might promote a stampede effect as schools don't want to be left out. So Delany might have asked BTN people to talk up expansion and ACC departures.

This isn't likely to work on UNC, because they will be valuable no matter what, but it might help with UVa.

Reaction Score
Here's an interesting read from MGoBlog on research dollars... Interesting to note the amount of money is not exactly pocket change in relation to athletics. A key passage:

I think some of the analysis is a little unclear / confused, or it might just be not well written, in regards to peer review vs. other mechanisms of granting (though he does break it down in the tables). And I don't necessarily think strategy this is foremost in Delany's mind when he's deciding what schools to invite. But it could very well be a part of the picture, even a major one.

As far as UConn's research profile, we have a plan and a leader. Now we just have to execute it and hope we can show we belong. And also have to hope the sequester doesn't take a huge bite out of the funding pool.

Michigan and Wisconsin kicked out Nebraska.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
From what I understand, actual ratings are entirely irrelevent to the BTN revenue model.

Their advertising revenues are low to date but I believe they are projecting a jump from 20 to 40 million this year. They have certainly been trumpeting their ratings lately - they have been pretty strong for basketball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The thing that lends credence here is that BTN reporters are talking about it, and it's been retweeted by a few legit people. Is it going to happen? Who knows, but there's too much smoke for there to be absolutely nothing to it.

There has been way too much noise about Georgia Tech for too long for it not to at least have some basis in reality. I'm not sold something is going to happen because I think UNC is the key and I'm not sold they jump first.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Not a likely scenario, but I wonder if this is the bottleneck:

UNC wants to go the B1G, but cannot do it unless NC State has a landing spot in either the B1G or SEC due to political powers that be. The B1G does not want NC State...so that only leaves the SEC as an option. Everyone thinks that the SEC would take NC State in a minute...but I am sure that the SEC would much prefer to have UNC over NC State. So unless UNC is officially off the table for the SEC, the SEC will not invite NC State. However, UNC cannot 'be off the table' until NC State has a landing spot in the SEC. Catch 22 that cannot be solved.

Reaction Score
NCState could have BiG 12 as a fallback.

Lots of theories but here's some agreed hard facts:
1. The ACC will change by 2 to 8 teams.
2. UNC will try its hardest to keep ACC together, BUT if its broke it can go to EITHER SEC or BIG. King position.
3. UVA only has the BIG option. Playing in a watered down ACC is not an option. Bitch position.
4. The UNC/UVA agreement doesn't seem smart for the UVA guys. I do not think it exists.
5. NYC and NE are up for grabs.
6. ND will always stay independent and will have its altar boys to take care of Olympic sports.
7. Big 12 must be struggling to get 6 ACC teams in one fell swoop, but it can not get the pieces together.
8. SEC can do anything it wants but will only act for top teams.

If that's how the board is distributed then BIG should: convince UVA to leave, if they don't then lock up number 5. sit back and watch BiG 12 act and then score UVA and maybe evn UNC.

Reaction Score
It's not meaningful to conference realignment. Would a Wake prefer an extra, one time $5M to not having it? Of course. Would Maryland rather exit paying $10M to $50M? Of course it would.

But in neither instance is that amount relevant at all to either institution's ability to compete on any particular level long-term compared to how the conferences end up and which conference one is in.
for something so irrelevant, a lot of schools are waiting for some decision on this case before making any decisions of their own.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hypothetically, if the AAU stuff was really so important for the B1G, they'd be pretty desperate right now to beat SEC to the punch. The SEC can invite the very schools the B1G is targeting. But if the B1G can't grab UNC or UVA, they have a bit of a problem.

I also like how that map of the potential B1G skirts Kentucky and ringfences West Virginia.

I believe that the moment the B1G truly makes an offer to UNC they will have the SEC on speed dial. I think the SEC can outbid the B1G. That's why everything is such a mess. I can imagine UVA holding firm in the ACC while UNC is there. The B1G may be denied its wish list. FSU and GT would bail for the B1G.

So what is left? I would not be shocked if the B1G was interested in Colorado. Fast growing state. Could they pluck them from the PAC?

UConn sits in limbo. Waiting as the poker players bluff and fold. Ultimately, I think the acc is likely. Its the old big east after all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Not a likely scenario, but I wonder if this is the bottleneck:

UNC wants to go the B1G, but cannot do it unless NC State has a landing spot in either the B1G or SEC due to political powers that be. The B1G does not want NC State...so that only leaves the SEC as an option. Everyone thinks that the SEC would take NC State in a minute...but I am sure that the SEC would much prefer to have UNC over NC State. So unless UNC is officially off the table for the SEC, the SEC will not invite NC State. However, UNC cannot 'be off the table' until NC State has a landing spot in the SEC. Catch 22 that cannot be solved.

This is a VERY likely scenario (though the B12 is also a possibility for NCST if FSU conditions its westward migration on the B12 admitting 3-5 of its acc friends).

As I noted around here previously, UNC and NCST are 2 of 17 "constituent institutions" of the same university system governed by the same Board of Governors.

http://www.northcarolina.edu/bog/index.htm

"The UNC Board of Governors is the policy-making body legally charged with "the general determination, control, supervision, management, and governance of all affairs of the constituent institutions." It elects the president, who administers the University. The 32 voting members of the Board of Governors are elected by the General Assembly for four-year terms."

Anyone who doesnt see that the fates of UNC and NCST are inextricably tied together politically is delusional.

UNC can't go B1G or SEC until the powers to be are assured NCST lands softly, either in the SEC or B12. Unlike a Rutgers, a UNC move anywhere will take time....

Reaction Score
I believe that the moment the B1G truly makes an offer to UNC they will have the SEC on speed dial. I think the SEC can outbid the B1G. That's why everything is such a mess. I can imagine UVA holding firm in the ACC while UNC is there. The B1G may be denied its wish list. FSU and GT would bail for the B1G.

So what is left? I would not be shocked if the B1G was interested in Colorado. Fast growing state. Could they pluck them from the PAC?

UConn sits in limbo. Waiting as the poker players bluff and fold. Ultimately, I think the acc is likely. Its the old big east after all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
You may be right. I have some questions. How closely are UNC and UVa tied relative to ties to Maryland. How could the SEC outbid the Big 10 for UNC? Which league can offer more money?

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
for something so irrelevant, a lot of schools are waiting for some decision on this case before making any decisions of their own.

I think internal state politics are more likely to delay UNC and UVA decisions than a one time termination fee of less than $50M if in fact Delaney is telling schools he expects B1G members to earn $47M annually after the BTN contract takes effect.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You may be right. I have some questions. How closely are UNC and UVa tied relative to ties to Maryland. How could the SEC outbid the Big 10 for UNC? Which league can offer more money?
I don't know if a this exact moment the SEC can offer more money but this is what it can offer:

1) A new SEC Network similar to the BTN and likely to pull in as much, if not more, money than the BTN. Especially if they add North Carolina.
2) Instant access to the new bowl setup. Every year, a team from the SEC has played for the National Championship. Since 2006, a team from the SEC has been in the game. 8 of the last 10 games have had a SEC team. The Big Ten....they've had 3 teams represented in the entire history of the BCS. With the new setup not limiting or forcing a team from each conference, there's a strong chance the B1G will not have a team represented some years while the SEC will have two.
3) A Geographical fit. I know a lot of teams don't really seem to care about this anymore but eventually all this long distance travel is going to eat up programs. NC in the SEC allows them to stay in their geographic area and not having to have them fly their olympic sprot teams to places like Madison, Wisconsin or Lincoln, Nebraska.

I think UNC would be better off going to the SEC. However, you can't turn the B1G down and hope the SEC comes calling. To be honest, the SEC doesn't seem to be in a rush to expand, unlike the B1G. So if the B1G does expand and everyone else stands pat (Big12 mainly) than I don't see a need for the SEC to move first. That's a risky play for UNC to turn down the B1G and hope the SEC comes calling once everything starts to crumble.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
I don't know if a this exact moment the SEC can offer more money but this is what it can offer:

1) A new SEC Network similar to the BTN and likely to pull in as much, if not more, money than the BTN. Especially if they add North Carolina.
2) Instant access to the new bowl setup. Every year, a team from the SEC has played for the National Championship. Since 2006, a team from the SEC has been in the game. 8 of the last 10 games have had a SEC team. The Big Ten....they've had 3 teams represented in the entire history of the BCS. With the new setup not limiting or forcing a team from each conference, there's a strong chance the B1G will not have a team represented some years while the SEC will have two.
3) A Geographical fit. I know a lot of teams don't really seem to care about this anymore but eventually all this long distance travel is going to eat up programs. NC in the SEC allows them to stay in their geographic area and not having to have them fly their olympic sprot teams to places like Madison, Wisconsin or Lincoln, Nebraska.

I think UNC would be better off going to the SEC. However, you can't turn the B1G down and hope the SEC comes calling. To be honest, the SEC doesn't seem to be in a rush to expand, unlike the B1G. So if the B1G does expand and everyone else stands pat (Big12 mainly) than I don't see a need for the SEC to move first. That's a risky play for UNC to turn down the B1G and hope the SEC comes calling once everything starts to crumble.

"you can't turn the B1G down and hope the SEC comes calling." -- Says Who? Rumor has it a current big east school did that to the acc a couple times in hopes of a B1G call....:D

Reaction Score
I really hope UNC goes to the SEC. GT/college football fans in Georgia might like having Big 12 schools come to town instead of the B1G schools. The ACC would suck for us.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
One word: Charlotte. They are starting FCS play this year. They are joining the C-USA in other sports with contingency to rapidly expand their brand new stadium from 15,000 seats to 25,000
via bleachers and ultimately 40,000. The UNC BOT represents them too.

Like USF and UCF, Charlotte represents territory the ACC and media may not want to abandon if Miami, FSU, UNC, or NC State get raided.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Reaction Score
Do people really believe the politics angle? Do they really think UNC can't go unless NCstate has a landing spot? They really think that the state would let both schools sit in a degraded and near worthless ACC when one of them had a chance at the B1G? That's insane. Forcing Virginia to vote no unless Tech was invited was one thing and it really had no bearing on whether any harm would come to Virginia. This is entirely different and there is no way a state legislature is going to hold UNC hostage when they have no control and no vote over what happens in the b1G.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
As a dark horse the UNC BOG will be more interested in getting Charlotte fast tracked to the ACC then seeing UNC and NC State in the same Power Conference.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom