From the site that broke the Maryland to Big Ten news- UVA likely to join | The Boneyard

From the site that broke the Maryland to Big Ten news- UVA likely to join

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Insidemdsports was the site that had the MD news. Once they reported it, it became fact within a few hours.

I've been following them for a while, and they seem to be circumspect in their reporting.

Georgia Tech, UNC reportedly are two other schools in the mix.

https://mobile.twitter.com/insidemdsports/status/303931588130009088

Much like an orphaned cheetah cub, UConn's role is left to watching the big cats devour the wildebeast hoping that a hoof or two is left.

Reaction Score
ronswanson-drunk.gif

Reaction Score
Insidemdsports was the site that had the MD news. Once they reported it, it became fact within a few hours.

I've been following them for a while, and they seem to be circumspect in their reporting.

Much like an orphaned cheetah cub, UConn's role is left to watching the big cats devour the wildebeast hoping that a hoof or two is left.
ufortunately, what's left will literally and figuratively be crap... And we'll be like ECU and Tulane getting the invite to the BE (excited as all hell)...

Reaction Score
I can see North Carolina. I can sort of see Virginia, though that is a very Southern school, much more so than even Carolina in my view. It will be a bad match long term for the Wahoos I suspect. Georgia Tech I think is a non-starter. Why in heck would you waste a pick, so to speak on a school that is a distant 2nd in its own state? Makes no sense. Nor does it have the theoretical upside potential of a Rutgers. It would be like taking Pitt over Penn State or Louisville over Kentucky or Cincinnati over Ohio State. It just makes no sense.

pj

Reaction Score
If Ga Tech's invite is contingent on UNC coming in, and if UVa comes in, then that means 1 or 3 to the B1G. They will need a #2 or #4. Looks like FSU or UConn.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I wish they would just get this damn expansion round over with. Everyone knows pretty much how it will end up...just get it done already:

it is either (most likely):
B1G : + UVA, UNC
SEC : + NC State, VT
B12 : + FSU, Clemson, GT , Miami
ACC : + UConn, Cincy, USF, Temple

or:
B1G: + UVA, GT
SEC : + UNC, VT
B12: + FSU, Clemson, Miami, NC St (maybe Duke and Louisville)
ACC: + UConn, Cincy, USF, Temple (maybe UCF, Houston, SMU, Navy)

just get it over with already. The only unanswered questions is whether Notre Dame sticks with the ACC in this scenario (most likely) or if they join the B12 for all non-football sports.

Reaction Score
ufortunately, what's left will literally and figuratively be crap... And we'll be like ECU and Tulane getting the invite to the BE (excited as all hell)...

There is VALUE and POTENTIAL in crushing the leftover BONES in order to extract the nutritious OILS and MARROW.

Think BRANDING and POSITION. Memphis also has a new a scoreboard. LOOK OUT.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
If Ga Tech's invite is contingent on UNC coming in, and if UVa comes in, then that means 1 or 3 to the B1G. They will need a #2 or #4. Looks like FSU or UConn.

Could be invite 3, first two to say yes get in?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
as i have said all along. were a b10 reach but its possible depending on who the b10 can shake out of the acc. the worst case for us is in a 5th best acc league with bc, cuse, pitt, wake, duke, lville and some others. were going to be in a power 5 conf. but i want the b10!!! i'm willing to wait it out until the bitter end and jump in the acc last second. f joining them now until we get passed over. if the b10 gets uva and another acc school, then u join the acc and still beg the b10 for when they go to 18 1 day. we are in a lot better spot then ppl give uconn credit for.

just imagine if the b10 gets all 3 and then they go to nd 1 last time and nd says no again. my god i would cream myself for days. then the b10 adds 1 more and says f nd for life. i like where we sit.

big publics fly and privates die!!!

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech I think is a non-starter. Why in heck would you waste a pick, so to speak on a school that is a distant 2nd in its own state? Makes no sense.

My guess is they want to make a move and get Virginia right now. They would love to also get UNC...but if UNC is not willing to make the move they need to find a 2nd to come with Virginia. Their only other choice is Georgia Tech given their criteria (large state school in a large market with AAU membership). They want UNC, make no mistake. But if UNC won't make the move, they will move on to their 2nd on the list and take GT. I am sure that the B1G has given UNC a date in which they will move on to GT and it is in UNC's hands right now.

Reaction Score

The thing of it is, it just doesn't seem to give the B1G something worthwhile that they don't already have. It's contiguous but it doesn't give the B1G any of the southern zazz that they are missing.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
as i have said all along. were a b10 reach but its possible depending on who the b10 can shake out of the acc. the worst case for us is in a 5th best acc league with bc, cuse, pitt, wake, duke, lville and some others. were going to be in a power 5 conf. but i want the b10!!! i'm willing to wait it out until the bitter end and jump in the acc last second. f joining them now until we get passed over. if the b10 gets uva and another acc school, then u join the acc and still beg the b10 for when they go to 18 1 day. we are in a lot better spot then ppl give uconn credit for.

There is no chance that UConn is going to the B1G in this expansion round. UConn's only chance is to to get the AAU membership in the next few years and invest in their athletic department to grow the fanbase and football/athletic program (and hope the Maryalnd/NJ risk pays off for the B1G). If UConn does this, they will have an outside chance for the B1G if they go to 18 or 20 in 5-10 years. But until then, we do not have a chance at the B1G right now.

Reaction Score
There is no chance that UConn is going to the B1G in this expansion round. UConn's only chance is to to get the AAU membership in the next few years and invest in their athletic department to grow the fanbase and football/athletic program (and hope the Maryalnd/NJ risk pays off for the B1G). If UConn does this, they will have an outside chance for the B1G if they go to 18 or 20 in 5-10 years. But until then, we do not have a chance at the B1G right now.

First thing is first. Get out of the nBE ASAP. If not all we have left is to focus on the things your mentioned.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

the aau thing is a very nice badge to wear. even if we end up in the sun belt, being a aau school is very important and its nice that uconn is pushing for it. but its extremely overrated when it comes to b10 expansion. JD was actually recently quoted as saying something like "the aau is important to us getting schools, but whats very important to is getting top not academic schools". thats all u need to know. nebraska is a huge power fball school and a good academic school but not aau. all u need to know. he basically just told everyone that auu will not be the end all be all part of this. hint hint. uconn wisn't aau but it will be soon. buts its already a great academics schools. check mate. we have a chance.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
The thing of it is, it just doesn't seem to give the B1G something worthwhile that they don't already have. It's contiguous but it doesn't give the B1G any of the southern zazz that they are missing.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

While it is not their ultimate goal, they need to make the move to assure that Virginia is in the fold for the B1G. Virginia is the puzzle piece to make the southern expansion a reality. If they don't , then there is a chance the SEC could go for Virginia and UNC themselves, and build a southern fence around the B1G territorry--thus locking the B1G in as a northern conference. So that is why they are willing to make a sub-optimal addition (GT) now.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
While it is not their ultimate goal, they need to make the move to assure that Virginia is in the fold for the B1G. Virginia is the puzzle piece to make the southern expansion a reality. If they don't , then there is a chance the SEC could go for Virginia and UNC themselves, and build a southern fence around the B1G territorry--thus locking the B1G in as a northern conference. So that is why they are willing to make a sub-optimal addition (GT) now.

the sec will take vt before uva. it has different values. uva goes north, vt goes south.

Reaction Score
First thing is first. Get out of the nBE ASAP. If not all we have left is to focus on the things your mentioned.
This. If an ACC invite comes, and the league has lost FSU, GT, UVA, UNC, or whoever, you immediately say yes. At the absolute worst, it's basically the same BE we've been a part of since 2005, with a better TV deal. This protects the university from falling into complete and permanent obscurity (NNNNNBE), and positions us to grow and potentially be a candidate for future changes. Saying no to the ACC in hopes of a B1G invite would be grounds for prosecuting whoever made such a decision.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
the aau thing is a very nice badge to wear. even if we end up in the sun belt, being a aau school is very important and its nice that uconn is pushing for it. but its extremely overrated when it comes to b10 expansion. JD was actually recently quoted as saying something like "the aau is important to us getting schools, but whats very important to is getting top not academic schools". thats all u need to know. nebraska is a huge power fball school and a good academic school but not aau. all u need to know. he basically just told everyone that auu will not be the end all be all part of this. hint hint. uconn wisn't aau but it will be soon. buts its already a great academics schools. check mate. we have a chance.

Nebraska was AAU at the time (I know the whole story that everyone knew they would soon be kicked out...but they were still AAU). The only school that the B1G will add without AAU status is Notre Dame...that is the one exception they will make. Or I guess in an extreme case where Texas is willing come to the B1G only if they take Oklahoma (who is not AAU)...but that isn't happening. Otherwise, AAU is a requirment for membership.

Reaction Score
UVA will not go to the SEC, just as Duke will not go there unless they are absolutely forced to do so. The academic profile of the SEC will not fit with the faculty and BOT of either school.

Reaction Score
I can see North Carolina. I can sort of see Virginia, though that is a very Southern school, much more so than even Carolina in my view. It will be a bad match long term for the Wahoos I suspect. Georgia Tech I think is a non-starter. Why in heck would you waste a pick, so to speak on a school that is a distant 2nd in its own state? Makes no sense. Nor does it have the theoretical upside potential of a Rutgers. It would be like taking Pitt over Penn State or Louisville over Kentucky or Cincinnati over Ohio State. It just makes no sense.

It's not as distant as you think. And it is not like you are taking Georgia Tech over Georgia. Georgia Tech is a much more valuable property than Rutgers. GT actually has a national championship and rivalry game with a team that matters. Georgia Tech is probably as popular in Georgia as UVA is in Virginia.

UVA, GT and UNC are good academically as well.

Reaction Score
This. If an ACC invite comes, and the league has lost FSU, GT, UVA, UNC, or whoever, you immediately say yes. At the absolute worst, it's basically the same BE we've been a part of since 2005, with a better TV deal. This protects the university from falling into complete and permanent obscurity (NNNNNBE), and positions us to grow and potentially be a candidate for future changes. Saying no to the ACC in hopes of a B1G invite would be grounds for prosecuting whoever made such a decision.

You take the ACC invite. If the B1G's machinations fall apart and the call UConn, then we pull a TCU.

It would be a great problem to have!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34