Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window

Reaction Score
Iowa…the Kaitlan Clark effect. Of course folks tuned in for the record breaking performance.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Iowa…the Kaitlan Clark effect. Of course folks tuned in for the record breaking performance.
100%- people are tuning in to see Caitlin play (myself included) but that is kinda the point- if they can develop stars that people will tune in to watch within content they already own/have under their umbrella that ties into other premium content they show, it seemingly is a no brainer to put more of that content on bigger channels/platforms than just stuffing it on BTN/B1G+

As an example.. women’s volleyball averaged 142k viewers on BTN in 2023. Its not that outlandish to think they could be in the same vicinity of Big East basketball ratings on FS1 (~177k today) and they don’t have to pay anything “extra“ for that content.. they already have the rights to broadcast it.

I’d have to imagine showing Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc women’s hoops on FS1 could/would draw in the same ballpark as well and is complimentary to their other programming- stacking an OSU women’s game leading into an OSU men’s game as an example would seemingly drive increased viewership for both games

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Then let them get us into a conference.
I think the players know the outcome, just not the details. They know who is leaving the ACC and where they are going. They also know who the ACC replacements are.

Would you all be happy in an ACC without FSU, UNC and the others? Is the Big East that important to you all?

Reaction Score
I think the players know the outcome, just not the details. They know who is leaving the ACC and where they are going. They also know who the ACC replacements are.

Would you all be happy in an ACC without FSU, UNC and the others? Is the Big East that important to you all?

I think so. It’s a home for football.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

The devil is in the details right? If the big 10 is offering us, though I do "care" about the big east, we move. If the ACC remnants are offering us, it depends who remains among the leftovers and how big a media deal they have.

As a fan I enjoy the regional rivalries of the remnants of the original big east, and some of the new emerging rivalries like Marquette and maybe to a lesser extend Creighton. But, as a fan, I understand that it takes money to run an athletic department. We can't continue to compete with schools making 75 million a year, give or take, in conference media distributions if we are only getting 4 million a year.

So, show me the deal and I'll give you my answer.

Reaction Score

The BE is great. MSG is great. It appears that the power conferences have plans to monopolize BB as well with higher amounts of guaranteed bids. UConn would be a good fit for ACC and hopefully the ACC would continue to receive a pretty good payout at least compared to UConn’ current situation.

Reaction Score

I would have us jump on it! The current Big East is fine, but it isn’t home (neither our old home or our future). It’s a pit stop with a bit of nostalgia.

Reaction Score

Are you asking would we be happy back in the big east, er, ACC? Do you know who was in BE 20 years ago?

Reaction Score

I agree that the players know most of the looming movements... from the UConn perspective, I think it's going to really depend on who the ACC remnants are in terms of the basketball side of things (FB will be an improvement over being independent; especially if Notre Dame continues to be playing a partial ACC schedule; time will tell on that)... from the men's BB perspective, I think as long as ACC remnants include BC, Syracuse, and at least one of Louisville, Pitt, or VA Tech then it will be received fairly well because we could presumably get out of conference games with Villanova, Georgetown, St. John's, Seton Hall, Providence regularly enough to please the fanbase (maybe throw in Marquette). I don’t think anyone will miss Xavier, Butler, DePaul. Creighton, meh....

The biggest heartache/fallout will be no more BE Tournament at MSG.

It's going to be an interesting scenario if/when the ACC loses some top brands.

Reaction Score
The likeliest ACC leftovers:
BC
Cal
Duke
SMU
South Florida (as a backfill for FSU)
Stanford
Syracuse
Wake

That's just above AAC-level football rights for that group.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
BC
Cal
Duke
SMU
Stanford
Syracuse
Wake

Do you actually believe that eleven schools will find a home in the SEC or B1G?

Reaction Score
Everyone seems sure of ACC defectors....

If deals really are in the works, FSU doesn't know it. Would save millions in legal fees.

These court cases are iffy and could go either way. Everyone seems to be counting on FSU to start the stampede that will break through the GOR fence.

Reaction Score
BC
Cal
Duke
SMU
Stanford
Syracuse
Wake

AAC-level football rights & if you assume that group (headlined by UConn, Syracuse & Duke) can land a Big East level hoops deal, you're still looking at the best payout of a non-power conference, plus a grouping of historic rivals for basketball, and a solution for football schedules. You still make that move if you're UConn.

Ultimately though.. the only way the ACC gets cut that deep is if the P2 conferences swell beyond the point they can pay for. In reality only FSU & UNC are slam-dunk P2 value adds. UVa & Clemson are assumed & I think UVa lands somewhere.. Clemson is a bit dicey (I think they are the 5th (Notre Dame clearly belongs in the P2 group) target within the league. They are only valuable if they are a top-end football program, if they don't take a step back to their prominence they had recently and enter a bit of doldrums they had before that, they end up in that Big XII scavenger group. Then you're looking at teams that can't bring P2 level revenue - NC State, Virginia Tech and on... just how badly does the SEC need the secondary school in a state (i.e. NC State or Viriginia Tech), particularly as broadcast values become driven less by market size (and municipally supported cable monopolies), but by how many subs you can deliver to a service.

Reaction Score
BC
Cal
Duke
SMU
Stanford
Syracuse
Wake

Pitt and Louisville are not going anywhere. Doubtful NC State is going anywhere, unless the P2 start dumping their Vanderbilts and Rutgerses to make room for conference upgrades.

There are a limited number of P2 spots remaining. UVA and UNC are at the front of the line. FSU must be certain of a lifeline to be behaving the way they are. After that, no one is guaranteed anything.

The ACC can survive and succeed as long as they play it smart.

Reaction Score
Pitt and Louisville are not going anywhere. Doubtful NC State is going anywhere, unless the P2 start dumping their Vanderbilts and Rutgerses to make room for conference upgrades.

There are a limited number of P2 spots remaining. UVA and UNC are at the front of the line. FSU must be certain of a lifeline to be behaving the way they are. After that, no one is guaranteed anything.

The big 12 would love to have Pitt and Louisville

Reaction Score

Simple logic when speculating. How does your speculation fall within rule #1?

Reaction Score
If CFB moves to a becoming pro league with pro payrolls for players, a union, pro staffs and infrastructure (as about 20 schools currently have), all this “college” speculation will be over. Simmons has a Ringer pod with Casey Wasserman that is interesting.

Reaction Score
Simple logic when speculating. How does your speculation fall within rule #1?
I said nothing about UConn in my comment, only the ACC. They will survive in some form, as 3 conferences are simply not enough to hold all the schools with brand value. If they are smart and forward-thinking, their member schools can thrive. But that's a big "if".

Rule 1 says that if the ACC thrives, then UConn never gets an invitation. If UConn is somehow invited, then the ACC must be tanking.

But that's kind of absurd; inviting UConn is one of the smart, forward-thinking moves that would keep the conference thriving. If they go for Tulane and Memphis instead, then sure UConn gets screwed but so does everyone else remaining in the ACC.

The big 12 would love to have Pitt and Louisville
You know this, how?

And if the conference payouts are similar, why do you think those schools will jump?

They would certainly jump to the P2, as would anyone. You think those invitations are forthcoming for any more than a select few ACC schools?

Reaction Score
I said nothing about UConn in my comment, only the ACC. They will survive in some form, as 3 conferences are simply not enough to hold all the schools with brand value. If they are smart and forward-thinking, their member schools can thrive. But that's a big "if".

Rule 1 says that if the ACC thrives, then UConn never gets an invitation. If UConn is somehow invited, then the ACC must be tanking.

But that's kind of absurd; inviting UConn is one of the smart, forward-thinking moves that would keep the conference thriving. If they go for Tulane and Memphis instead, then sure UConn gets screwed but so does everyone else remaining in the ACC.

You know this, how?

And if the conference payouts are similar, why do you think those schools will jump?

They would certainly jump to the P2, as would anyone. You think those invitations are forthcoming for any more than a select few ACC schools?
You answered your own question. Has logic especially with the ACC ever been the way they operated?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom