Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window

Reaction Score
So if the deal is a 33% increase for every school. But UConn lost SNY. Aren’t we essentially breaking even?

Reaction Score
Conferences should go to a fairly simple payout model. Equal Revenue Sharing after bonuses are paid, and bonuses are paid to programs based on performance. That way the top programs get paid for performing and the slackers get their guaranteed amount for just riding along, and like it.

Reaction Score
So if the deal is a 33% increase for every school. But UConn lost SNY. Aren’t we essentially breaking even?
When UConn joined the Big East, they were no longer getting money from SNY. The broadcast rights to all Big East games are owned by Fox Sports. Fox Sports sub-licensed the games to SNY.

SNY reaches deal with Fox Sports, will continue carrying UConn women’s basketball games
ALEX PUTTERMAN FEBRUARY 26, 2020

SNY has carried a package of Huskies sporting events each year since 2012, with women’s basketball at the center. The relationship between the school and the network had come into question when UConn jumped from the American Athletic Conference to the Big East, leaving SNY to negotiate with Fox Sports, which owns Big East broadcast rights.
This new, multi-year agreement, announced during UConn’s game against Cincinnati on Wednesday, will let SNY air up to 18 UConn women’s games a year, as well as pre- and post-game shows.

“Very exciting," color commentator Meghan Culmo said on the broadcast. "As UConn is moving to the Big East, we are excited to remain a part of the broadcast.”

Huskies athletic director David Benedict, in a statement released just after the announcement, referred to the “special partnership” between SNY and UConn.

“I am excited to hear that Fox and SNY have reached an agreement that will allow our fans to continue to watch UConn women’s basketball on SNY,” director of athletics David Benedict said. “Our women’s basketball team has set an unmatched standard of excellence over the years and so many people at SNY have worked extremely hard to deliver an outstanding product to our fans around the country.”

Added SNY president Steve Raab: “We are thrilled to continue to serve UConn’s passionate fans on SNY through this agreement with Fox Sports. SNY could not be prouder of its partnership with Geno and the UConn women’s basketball program."

Reaction Score
When UConn joined the Big East, they were no longer getting money from SNY. The broadcast rights to all Big East games are owned by Fox Sports. Fox Sports sub-licensed the games to SNY.

SNY reaches deal with Fox Sports, will continue carrying UConn women’s basketball games
ALEX PUTTERMAN FEBRUARY 26, 2020

SNY has carried a package of Huskies sporting events each year since 2012, with women’s basketball at the center. The relationship between the school and the network had come into question when UConn jumped from the American Athletic Conference to the Big East, leaving SNY to negotiate with Fox Sports, which owns Big East broadcast rights.
This new, multi-year agreement, announced during UConn’s game against Cincinnati on Wednesday, will let SNY air up to 18 UConn women’s games a year, as well as pre- and post-game shows.

“Very exciting," color commentator Meghan Culmo said on the broadcast. "As UConn is moving to the Big East, we are excited to remain a part of the broadcast.”

Huskies athletic director David Benedict, in a statement released just after the announcement, referred to the “special partnership” between SNY and UConn.

“I am excited to hear that Fox and SNY have reached an agreement that will allow our fans to continue to watch UConn women’s basketball on SNY,” director of athletics David Benedict said. “Our women’s basketball team has set an unmatched standard of excellence over the years and so many people at SNY have worked extremely hard to deliver an outstanding product to our fans around the country.”

Added SNY president Steve Raab: “We are thrilled to continue to serve UConn’s passionate fans on SNY through this agreement with Fox Sports. SNY could not be prouder of its partnership with Geno and the UConn women’s basketball program."
Thanks for clarifying

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Isn't this the AAC playbook...monetize UConn's worth to share with the worthless?
Yeah but don’t say that too loudly or people will get irrationally mad for no reason

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Isn’t that how FSU and Clemson feel or are there no dregs in the ACC, SEC, BIG?
I'm sure it is. There are a couple of critical points that your statements excludes however:

• The ACC han't changed anything (beyond composition of the conference, which all member schools had to opportunity to vote one, when it came to pass and, the ACC had altered its payout methodology to appease schools that earn more of the revenues. The AAC's initial media contract did not include tier 3 content. Everey member outside of UConn provided zero value with this while UConn was able to make a reasonable amount from local broadcasts of non conference women's basketball games. The subsequent contract (which led to UConn investigating a return to the BE) handed tier 3 rights to ESPN with an equal revenue distribution to all member schools (and bragging about the value they were receiving for tier 3).
  • The ACC's revenue sports as a whole are not dominated by FSU and Clemson. In fact, with the second highest earning sport, neither school would crack the conference's top five in terms of market value.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Do we know the money yet?
33% increase in total revenue off the previous deal which someone said averages to ~$5.7M annually over the 6 year deal (I’m too lazy to look up the numbers do the math and validate)

Reaction Score
I'm sure it is. There are a couple of critical points that your statements excludes however:

• The ACC han't changed anything (beyond composition of the conference, which all member schools had to opportunity to vote one, when it came to pass and, the ACC had altered its payout methodology to appease schools that earn more of the revenues. The AAC's initial media contract did not include tier 3 content. Everey member outside of UConn provided zero value with this while UConn was able to make a reasonable amount from local broadcasts of non conference women's basketball games. The subsequent contract (which led to UConn investigating a return to the BE) handed tier 3 rights to ESPN with an equal revenue distribution to all member schools (and bragging about the value they were receiving for tier 3).
  • The ACC's revenue sports as a whole are not dominated by FSU and Clemson. In fact, with the second highest earning sport, neither school would crack the conference's top five in terms of market value.
With the ACC media 80 percent football, being in the conference top five in basketball has some meaning. But not much. FSU and Clemson are the values. Virginia, as an example, is the least watched in football but may have some basketball viewership.

Reaction Score
Well I'd say Butler is the big winner. Smallest school, smallest endowment, joined the conference in 2013 and will now be getting over $7 mill/year. Butler has a winning percentage of 56% overall and 45% in conference since joining the Big East. Hasn't made the dance the past 6 seasons although it kind of got stiffed in 2020. Seriously, there has to be a bonus portion for teams that are performing and carrying the deadweight.

Reaction Score
This already exists

Good! I didn't realize the disparity was so large due to tourney payouts. But maybe it should be even larger.

You Got It Ok GIF

Reaction Score
Good! I didn't realize the disparity was so large due to tourney payouts. But maybe it should be even larger.

You Got It Ok GIF
In fairness, the disparity isn't that big, it's just presented that way on the graph. I believe the current performance calculation the conference uses is based on the previous 2 or 3 years of postseason success so DePaul has the lowest balance of about $4.55 million v UConn the highest at $6.4 million. So $2 million or so which is nice but not huge in the larger context of college athletics.

Reaction Score
Well I'd say Butler is the big winner. Smallest school, smallest endowment, joined the conference in 2013 and will now be getting over $7 mill/year. Butler has a winning percentage of 56% overall and 45% in conference since joining the Big East. Hasn't made the dance the past 6 seasons although it kind of got stiffed in 2020. Seriously, there has to be a bonus portion for teams that are performing and carrying the deadweight.
which is why you don't add programs when they're hot

Reaction Score
In fairness, the disparity isn't that big, it's just presented that way on the graph. I believe the current performance calculation the conference uses is based on the previous 2 or 3 years of postseason success so DePaul has the lowest balance of about $4.55 million v UConn the highest at $6.4 million. So $2 million or so which is nice but not huge in the larger context of college athletics.
True it's not large but percentage wise it is significant. UConn could be getting $10 mill or so if everyone is getting $7 mill based on this data.

Reaction Score
which is why you don't add programs when they're hot
Butler basketball has not been terrible in the Bg East. Since they joined the Big East in 2013/2014, they have been to 4 NCAAs including 1 Sweet 16, 4 years after Brad Stevens left. They have been to the NCAA tournament under their last 5 coaches so there is a foundation there for success. In comparison, since Butler joined the BE, DePaul has been to 0 NCAAs, St. John's has been to 2, and Georgetown has been to 2.

Reaction Score
Butler basketball has not been terrible in the Bg East. Since they joined the Big East in 2013/2014, they have been to 4 NCAAs including 1 Sweet 16, 4 years after Brad Stevens left. They have been to the NCAA tournament under their last 5 coaches so there is a foundation there for success. In comparison, since Butler joined the BE, DePaul has been to 0 NCAAs, St. John's has been to 2, and Georgetown has been to 2.
True Butler hasn't been terrible but it's made a great return for its performance. Georgetown and St. John's have been in "The Big East" for 44 years, DePaul 18, Butler 10. Butler has surely made out having come from the Horizon and just 1 year in the A10. I doubt it would be on the radar as an expansion target today. Saint Louis was in C-USA and the A10, is much larger, and is Jesuit. And no, I'm not advocating for expansion, yet.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
True Butler hasn't been terrible but it's made a great return for its performance. Georgetown and St. John's have been in "The Big East" for 44 years, DePaul 18, Butler 10. Butler has surely made out having come from the Horizon and just 1 year in the A10. I doubt it would be on the radar as an expansion target today. Saint Louis was in C-USA and the A10, is much larger, and is Jesuit. And no, I'm not advocating for expansion, yet.
I still can’t wrap my mind around Butler in a D1 conference. We played Butler at the D2 level back in the early ‘90’s and seeing them in the Big East is weird. Not saying they don’t belong, but it’s just weird.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We should 100% be getting more than Butler or DePaul. What is this contract without us on it?

Reaction Score
I still can’t wrap my mind around Butler in a D1 conference. We played Butler at the D2 level back in the early ‘90’s and seeing them in the Big East is weird. Not saying they don’t belong, but it’s just weird.
I was told Merrimack was going to d3 from a source in the know back in 2008. Now they're the most loved program of every college sports nerd. Weird stuff happens.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom