Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
In fairness, the disparity isn't that big, it's just presented that way on the graph. I believe the current performance calculation the conference uses is based on the previous 2 or 3 years of postseason success so DePaul has the lowest balance of about $4.55 million v UConn the highest at $6.4 million. So $2 million or so which is nice but not huge in the larger context of college athletics.
Be prepared for pushback when claiming misrepresentation on this graph; several folks here think it is a completely fair and unbiased view of the revenue distribution and will go to the mat with you to make their point.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We should 100% be getting more than Butler or DePaul. What is this contract without us on it?
UConn over the past few seasons and Villanova a few seasons earlier are the only reasons the BE can even make believe it is on a level equivalent to the power conferences.

Was that an option? I’m not sure.

Nobody considered the possibility until SMU offered.

Reaction Score
There is no future in the big East. It's been obvious for years. Sadly, I. don't think there is a future in the ACC, either

Reaction Score
There is no future in the big East. It's been obvious for years. Sadly, I. don't think there is a future in the ACC, either
I agree wih the first sentence. I would rather UConn be in a conference with ACC remnants though. However, is an invitation likely? Probably no, it seems.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree wih the first sentence. I would rather UConn be in a conference with ACC remnants though. However, is an invitation likely? Probably no, it seems.
Depends on how hard they get knocked on their butt by departures. The situation reminds me of Groucho Marx's famous statement that he would never want to join any club that would have him as a member.

If the ACC is depleted so significantly as to overcome the resistance towards offering us an invite, would there be enough left there to make our acceptance worthwhile?

Reaction Score
Depends on how hard they get knocked on their butt by departures. The situation reminds me of Groucho Marx's famous statement that he would never want to join any club that would have him as a member.

If the ACC is depleted so significantly as to overcome the resistance towards offering us an invite, would there be enough left there to make our acceptance worthwhile?
They've passed us over so many times, it would be hard to be excited if they did invite us.

CL82

Reaction Score
They've passed us over so many times, it would be hard to be excited if they did invite us.

Oh, if we get an invite to the ACC, or the big 12, I will take considerable pleasure in whooping their butts on a consistent basis. I hate them all.

Reaction Score
I’d be happy to join either because I care about football, but neither excites me. I love Big East basketball. The ACC is probably dying. The B12 is likely the better of the two. Most likely, we end up in a crappy ACC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East absolutely screwed us with this schedule. Absolutely hate this conference at the moment. Only 2 Saturday home games!

Does every single news story that has the words "Big" and "East" require you to be outraged?

Reaction Score
Does every single news story that has the words "Big" and "East" require you to be outraged?

Yeah. Not sure why I am upset about getting a chump treatment from a three bid league.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
F

I'd say it has less than a decade of Power Basketball left before the big boys elbow it out of the way.

And Val freaking Ackerman isn't smart enough to do anything about it.
That's a bit harsh. She was "smart" enough to support our addition and to get an extension on the MSG. The Big East with or without her is in the back nine. There's no turning this ship around without some sort of anti-trust lawsuit.

The Power conference schools and FOX/ESPN have all the leverage. The Big East is a nice to have and not a need to have.

She's in a double bind. Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't. Speak out against the Power structure and having teams left out of the NCAA tournament and risk sounding like a whiner and not earning any favors with the power brokers. For TV, we went to the open market and saw what the Big East was worth and what kind of visibility was offered.

I don't think there's anything she or anyone else could do as a basketball only conference. What's your bright idea?

Reaction Score
That's a bit harsh. She was "smart" enough to support our addition and to get an extension on the MSG. The Big East with or without her is in the back nine. There's no turning this ship around without some sort of anti-trust lawsuit.

The Power conference schools and FOX/ESPN have all the leverage. The Big East is a nice to have and not a need to have.

She's in a double bind. Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't. Speak out against the Power structure and having teams left out of the NCAA tournament and risk sounding like a whiner and not earning any favors with the power brokers. For TV, we went to the open market and saw what the Big East was worth and what kind of visibility was offered.

I don't think there's anything she or anyone else could do as a basketball only conference. What's your bright idea?

You don’t have to be smart to add UConn. It’s a no brainer.

CL82

Reaction Score
You don’t have to be smart to add UConn. It’s a no brainer.
You might want to call the big 12 or the ACC and let them know. For that matter, you might want to reach out to the Big Ten or SEC.

(yes, I understand that you were talking about the big east)

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
F

I'd say it has less than a decade of Power Basketball left before the big boys elbow it out of the way.

And Val freaking Ackerman isn't smart enough to do anything about it.
Less.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Not sure why I am upset about getting a chump treatment from a three bid league.
Yeah, defending conference champion, defending tournament champ, defending national champ. Let’s give them a lousy league schedule. But can’t complain. One of those games is against Seton Hall so RAF can gush about how “Danny was a tough little point guard.” The NEWBE wants to make sure we know our place.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom