Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window

Reaction Score
UConn IS winning basketball championships...at a very high subsidized (by student and taxpayer) cost...is that sustainable long term ?

Back through the late 90's, the ACC had a bigger payout than the SEC..because basketball paid...then America must have gone football crazy...

If the pendulum swings a little back to basketball...that would be a Husky blessing.

Reaction Score
As Swofford said in 2018...

“The world is a much different place now in that regard,” Swofford said. “For decades, as a conference, we made more headlines in basketball and more money in basketball, and there was nothing inherently wrong with that. Obviously, basketball remains a huge part of our success and identity today.

Reaction Score
UConn IS winning basketball championships...at a very high subsidized (by student and taxpayer) cost...is that sustainable long term ?

Back through the late 90's, the ACC had a bigger payout than the SEC..because basketball paid...then America must have gone football crazy...

If the pendulum swings a little back to basketball...that would be a Husky blessing.
Now we just wait 30 or so years until the new generations of kids stops playing Football due to the health risks

Reaction Score
I want both. The conference isn’t winning UConn championships. UConn is. UConn is winning despite the Big East.

Championships alone won’t ensure financial security for our programs.
If I had my choice I’ll take the championships.. and the big east had a lot to do with us winning.. some of our recruits picked UConn because of the big east

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The AAC is one of the worst things that ever happened to UConn Sports. Why are some wasting bandwidth trying to defend it? We would be nothing but a footnote now if UConn didn't bail.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Even a blown up ACC is better for football than what we have right now. Does anyone think given the footprint that ESPN has in North Carolina that they'd let the conference die? If there are some blue bloods that don't get taken then plain and simple that's where UConn will probably end up. Syracuse, Duke, BCU, Wake, GT coming to the Rent would sell many tickets. That's one of the reasons it was built in the first place. Getting some of those teams back at Gampel or the Civic Center would be wild.
My only concern is what is that conference going to pay out and would it even be considered in the same realms as the Big 12?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Without Football to support that's all we would realistically need, maybe 20 - 25M tops, for our other programs and could drastically cut back on the state subsidy

But it's not really about the money, it's about our entire athletic department having the security it needs. Would you rather ensure your athletic department will still be thriving 20 years down the road or not? That's a massive improvement to me
Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Reaction Score
If I had my choice I’ll take the championships.. and the big east had a lot to do with us winning.. some of our recruits picked UConn because of the big east

Imagine the recruits we get in the Big 10 or the Big 12.

You need to touch grass. The department is bleeding cash.

Reaction Score
I still do not think that many understand what they (P2 and big media) want to be the end game ..

The P2...(and ESPN. Fox, NBC).....they want all the freakin' money .. they want all the good TV slots... and want big advertisers to sign huge exclusives with the P2. Regional streaming for the others.

If you aint in the P2...chances are that you are in another league altogether.

Like a boa, they have been tightening the squeeze...first it was cut up FBS with the P5 and G5..... with the P5 having the votes...than it was dismantling the Pac 12 to get to a P4...than it was a CFP plan to favor the P2...

Next will be gutting the ACC....

The Big 12 will expand but will be sort of like a step between the G5 and the P2 league....

Eventually....the P2 (expanded SEC-Big 10) may reformulate to drop weaker draws in favor of cornering bigger draws and rivalries.

Reaction Score
I could see, in the short term, teams like Northwestern, Mississippi State, Vandy, Indiana, etc...get relegated to conference networks and streaming...

In the long term...maybe the death of a Midwest conference and a Southern conference and slinking towards a NFC...AFC type structure....with internal divisions within each of the P2.

Reaction Score
I still do not think that many understand what they (P2 and big media) want to be the end game ..

The P2...(and ESPN. Fox, NBC).....they want all the freakin' money .. they want all the good TV slots... and want big advertisers to sign huge exclusives with the P2. Regional streaming for the others.

If you aint in the P2...chances are that you are in another league altogether.

Like a boa, they have been tightening the squeeze...first it was cut up FBS with the P5 and G5..... with the P5 having the votes...than it was dismantling the Pac 12 to get to a P4...than it was a CFP plan to favor the P2...

Next will be gutting the ACC....

The Big 12 will expand but will be sort of like a step between the G5 and the P2 league....

Eventually....the P2 (expanded SEC-Big 10) may reformulate to drop weaker draws in favor of cornering bigger draws and rivalries.
There’s so much speculation in that plan. It presumes that UConn fans, Fresno fans or Akron fans will still watch. I’m not so sure that the draw is there for fans that get disenfranchised to continue watching. I won’t. I’ll just watch pro sports more. I don’t care about Wisconsin vs Mich St. if UConn has no shot of competing with them or against them.

Reaction Score
Right now...most of the TV watching is accounted for by relatively few of the 134 FBS teams...

Akron ? Not so much even when they are on...

People watch marquee match's....

...in a hypothetical way, fans of teams like Akron can dream that they compete with Wisconsin. Ohio State, Michigan, etc, but it is the same way that I can dream about competing if they only let me tee it up in the Masters.

People will watch the CFP in millions even if the team that they are fans of will not play...

Did college football TV watching really get hurt by splitting off the P5 ?

Splitting FCS from FBS ?

Reaction Score
Imagine the recruits we get in the Big 10 or the Big 12.

You need to touch grass. The department is bleeding cash.
I’m not sure about the big 10..I think we would recruit well in it..the big 12 I don’t think so.. in the big east we are the kings..any recruit that wants to play in the northeast is ours if we want them..the big east tournament is second to none..in the big 12 we would be outcasts..I don’t think recruits will want to go to a northeast school to play in a southern conference.. and our conference tournament would be Kansas

Reaction Score
Seems notable that the Hurley contract and the Big East media deal are still not finalized. Wondering if there's an explanation or connection or something else afoot.

Reaction Score
"Hello Tony Petitti, we would like to bring our back-to-back six time national champion MBB and 11-time national champion WBB Blue-Blood basketball programs to the B1G, a conference lacking in basketball, and we only need $10M annually to do it. We can disband our Football program"

"An extra $10M would be a drop in the bucket for Fox, welcome to the B1G"
Thank you for your interest in UConn football

Reaction Score
Yes..if we got offered a big ten invite I’m sure we would take it.. and we should.. I think we would do well in the big 10..the only conference I think is a bad fit is the big 12 and the SEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom