Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window

Reaction Score

In a world wherr USC is in the same conference as Penn State, regionality doesn’t matter.

Reaction Score
I think that the ACC will be transformed....

Would not surprise me to see Louisville and Pitt and Miami picked up by the Big 12.

Reaction Score
There are a multitude of articles you can find.

Overall participation in sports is down.

While 11 man tackle football is down, participation in 6,8 or 9 man is up as smaller schools have decided that scale is better for them.

Younger kids are playing flag football and not playing tackle football until later on.

Any idea that to football is going extinct is crazy
This is what my nephew did. He played flag football as a youth and he did not play tackle football until high school. He is now playing football in college. And, like most good high school football schools, he played a ton of 7v7 football. The NFL says there are over 2.4 million (and growing) Americans between 4 and 17 who are playing flag football.

Reaction Score
The NAIA offers Women's Flag Football as a varsity sport...

Odd bedfellows,,Marc Rubio, Senator from Florida, and Jeanne Shaheen from New Hampshire have issued a joint letter to the NCAA requesting that Women's Flag be added as a varsity sport.

Reaction Score
Choosing a post raid ACC over the benefits and reach of The B1G is so wild a notion that I’m not sure if this is real or parody.

If this is the actual thought process of even two UConn Fans, then I’d recommend just shuttering the football program entirely and going all in with the Big East. It will save you a ton of money and a lot of heartache as a fanbase.

Reaction Score
There are a multitude of articles you can find.

Overall participation in sports is down.

While 11 man tackle football is down, participation in 6,8 or 9 man is up as smaller schools have decided that scale is better for them.

Younger kids are playing flag football and not playing tackle football until later on.

Any idea that to football is going extinct is crazy
Flag is huge in AZ
Most HS ‘s even have girls varsity as do some of the colleges.
My grandsons girlfriend gave up soccer to play flag. which is interesting because she was very good.
i heard it’s a Demo sport in the next Olympics.

Perry HS down the street from me was lead to 3 , 5A state football championships a few years.
by two brothers . Brock Purdy led SF to the Super Bowl last year the other brother is still playing in college for Nevada .after stops at FSU and Nebraska.
Both only played flag football when they were young , as their father claims it was a better sport for QB development than Pop Warner.
In fact i believe Dan Orlovsky played flag before HS probably because of their size restriction.

Reaction Score
I was shocked to discover that more kids play HS football than basketball . I would have bet against that .
There are also more football scholarships between , FBS, FCS , D2 ,and even need scholarships at D3 schools than BB scholarships.
As long as the dream of scholarship exists the sport remains viable .If football ceases to exist except at a few power schools the sport dies from the bottom up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was shocked to discover that more kids play HS football than basketball . I would have bet against that .
Really? That would be my expectation, particularly given that you have a bit over double the number of people playing at any given time

Reaction Score
I keep checking but it seems to be a well guarded secret . Since it’s multiple media outlets the usual media leakers don't even know It’s total.
The Big East having uneven NCAA distribution was a well guarded secret which surprised me.
You would think these Big East presidents were bound by the seal of confession .

I will keep digging but this is a good read and a hint of an excess of $10,000,000

Reaction Score
This is what my nephew did. He played flag football as a youth and he did not play tackle football until high school. He is now playing football in college. And, like most good high school football schools, he played a ton of 7v7 football. The NFL says there are over 2.4 million (and growing) Americans between 4 and 17 who are playing flag football.

Flag football camps are everywhere.

7 on 7 is an efficient way to develop skill position players. Like doing small sided drills in soccer to get more touches.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I keep checking but it seems to be a well guarded secret . Since it’s multiple media outlets the usual media leakers don't even know It’s total.
The Big East having uneven NCAA distribution was a well guarded secret which surprised me.
You would think these Big East presidents were bound by the seal of confession .

I will keep digging but this is
a good read and a hint of an excess of $10,000,000

TNT losing out on the NBA just might be a boon for college conferences, especially the Big East. They gave money to spend and sports programming to fill. I can see them signing a piece of the Big East to a nice amount. If the Big10 does increase their membership, I can see them selling more content and TNT taking a bite.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Flag football camps are everywhere.

7 on 7 is an efficient way to develop skill position players. Like doing small sided drills in soccer to get more touches.
Many Michigan high schools are now offering girls flag football as a varsity sport (and boys volleyball).

NAIA Sienna Heights (Ann Arbor) has a varsity women’s flag football program. One of my former athletes (she was a starting MLB in 7th grade and a very good tackler) is signed on to play there next year.

Reaction Score

Since we’re going for the most money and a football home then it’s still irrelevant. Unless you think it’s a good idea to make less and tie our fate to a bunch of tiny dying catholic schools.

Reaction Score
Seems notable that the Hurley contract and the Big East media deal are still not finalized. Wondering if there's an explanation or connection or something else afoot.
There are still negotiating with CBS for a part of the package. The media deal won't be announced until that is completed but I'm sure UConn knows the general numbers already.

Reaction Score
You have three options in football
1. continue what we are doing and try to minimize costs keepimg loses down and just pretemd we’re a player
2. Drop the sport completely and actually join the Big East
3. Make a serious investment in the sport for 5 years , through fundraising and losses and see if we can get in the game
Going FCS Is a bad idea because savings gains are pretty much offset by revenue losses.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
1. continue what we are doing and try to minimize costs keepimg loses down and just pretemd we’re a player
3. Make a serious investment in the sport for 5 years , through fundraising and losses and see if we can get in the game
Going FCS Is a bad idea because savings gains are pretty much offset by revenue losses.

There are so many moving parts in college athletics that this is not really the choice any school is making.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Don't see any option but 3. 1 or 2 will hasten our demise, which at some point may happen anyway. If you've read my posts, I am a cheerleader for #3, but over a 10 year life(I assume we are starting year 2.)

Reaction Score
"We don't have a revenue problem in college sports, we have a spending problem"...Trev Alberts 2024

Reaction Score
1 or 3 or somewhere in between (not 2). See what happens and keep options open.

Reaction Score
the new streaming platform Venu (Fox, ESPN...) may impact negotiations...

Interesting features...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom