For those carrying recruiting grudges... | The Boneyard

For those carrying recruiting grudges...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Chattanooga traveled to Georgia and beat the Bulldogs 92-90 in overtime.

Will Jackson played 14 futile minutes and went 1-4 (all three pointers) and scored four points. I think he has rickets.

But better....Monmouth also won in overtime, but against UCLA. Prince Ali was 2-7 in 18 minutes for seven points.

UCLA was pretty impressive - they blew a 13-point second half lead and then blew another six-point lead in overtime. Bryce Alford just takes the worst shots imaginable - UCLA fans are going to ride him out of town.

Reaction Score
Also UNLV squeaked by juggernaut Cal Poly 74-72. Derrick Jones was 4-4 with 8 points and 2 boards or something. In other news Dave Rice still can't coach.

Diamond Stone played pretty well, 4-9 fgs, 10 pts, 7 rbs, in 19 minutes.

Tevin Mack was a woeful 1-10 fgs, 0-4 from three, with 4 fouls and 7 pts 4 rbs in Texashaka's loss to the other Huskies (Noah Dickerson played well for them).

Chris Clarke and Va. Tech play tomorrow.

Edit: Oh yea, Traci Carter and Marquette lost to Belmont. He had 5 pts, 5 ast in 14 min.
Tyler Dorsey and Oregon won big against Jackson St. (screw you still Lindsey Hunter). Dorsey was quite good, 20,5,5,1,1

Last edited:

caw

Reaction Score
AMA and NCState lost at home by nearly 20 to William and Mary. He did have a decent game though.

Ohh and Kasongo was suspended for his first game.

Reaction Score
Chattanooga traveled to Georgia and beat the Bulldogs 92-90 in overtime.

Will Jackson played 14 futile minutes and went 1-4 (all three pointers) and scored four points. I think he has rickets.

But better....Monmouth also won in overtime, but against UCLA. Prince Ali was 2-7 in 18 minutes for seven points.

UCLA was pretty impressive - they blew a 13-point second half lead and then blew another six-point lead in overtime. Bryce Alford just takes the worst shots imaginable - UCLA fans are going to ride him out of town.

Nice job shatting on a good kid who was plagued with injuries. You really are an ass clown. And if I remember correctly, you were the dickwad proponent saying Ollie couldn't recruit talent. Clever, yes, but an idiot who should be the last to get on a pedestal on a great day.....oh hell no.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was gonna start a thread on the ones that got away, but didn't want to seem bitter. I'm a perfectly content UConn fan at the moment, thank you.

Reaction Score
Nice job shatting on a good kid who was plagued with injuries. You really are an ass clown. And if I remember correctly, you were the dickwad proponent saying Ollie couldn't recruit talent. Clever, yes, but an idiot who should be the last to get on a pedestal on a great day.....oh hell no.
He thought we needed a recruiting shark on the staff because our staff was so green, it's incredible what Ollie and staff have done in such a short amount of time and to be honest nobody really could have expected it. You are barking up the wrong tree here, blame it on the booze tomorrow.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Eh, f--- off.

AMA and NCState lost at home by nearly 20 to William and Mary. He did have a decent game though.

Ohh and Kasongo was suspended for his first game.

I think it was an NCAA thing for one game. But he played in an exhibition game last week and didn't really show anything - he got about two minutes of PT.

caw

Reaction Score
Eh, f--- off.

I think it was an NCAA thing for one game. But he played in an exhibition game last week and didn't really show anything - he got about two minutes of PT.

It was an NCAA thing, has to pay back about $300 also. Not a big deal.

Reaction Score

If at one point last year anyone thought they were going to suddenly emerge with a Top 5 recruiting class you're lying. No one gave up on KO but everyone had thoughts on requiring a hot shot recruiter no doubt. The staff came through but as sj said we didn't see it coming. Shame on us but it was only natural reaction, leave it alone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If at one point last year anyone thought they were going to suddenly emerge with a Top 5 recruiting class you're lying. No one gave up on KO but everyone had thoughts on requiring a hot shot recruiter no doubt. The staff came through but as sj said we did;t see it coming. Shame on us but it was only natural reaction, leave it alone.
Why are you ruining a good movie? I just made my popcorn and you want to turn on the lights!

Reaction Score
You're an idiot. Stone would have played over Brimah. Unless Brimah is playing against low D1 or D2 6-7 guys he's useless. Go watch the Duke, SMU or ASU games or even better viewing is the 2014 FF.

These recruiting "misses" always seem to work out for us. I wouldn't be shocked if four years from now we are all joking about how at one time we thought Diamond Stone was better than Steve Enoch and I'm ecstatic we got Shonn Miller instead of him.

Reaction Score
You're an idiot. Stone would have played over Brimah. Unless Brimah is playing against low D1 or D2 6-7 guys he's useless. Go watch the Duke, SMU or ASU games or even better viewing is the 2014 FF.
Alwyas love when posters with 7:1 post/like ratios give their hot takes

Reaction Score
I always immediately discredit any poster with a less than 1:1 post/like ratio, we should have a sub forum for the lesser posters.

Reaction Score
If at one point last year anyone thought they were going to suddenly emerge with a Top 5 recruiting class you're lying. No one gave up on KO but everyone had thoughts on requiring a hot shot recruiter no doubt. The staff came through but as sj said we didn't see it coming. Shame on us but it was only natural reaction, leave it alone.

speak for yourself. There was a crowd of posters who were complaining about not recruiting bruce brown, the same ones for years have been questioning the merits of the staff recruiting wise. Then there was a crowd, where i resided, that had a good amount of faith after KO landed 5 star prospect daniel hamilton out of the blue. I've always thought the staff was fine the way it was but many posters wanted to inject new blood for 'aau connections'. These same posters also seemed upset that KO had to be our 'closer' or lead recruiter essentially; little did they realize he was a gem on the trail.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie disagreed with you.

"I don't make excuses. I make adjustments. We went 20-15. That means I've got to recruit harder. I've got to get the best players. I've got to do something different. But I'm never going to make excuses [to] this fan base."

That was this past May.

And he was right - he (and his staff) needed to recruit harder. In last year's opener, we started Kentan Facey and Sam Cassell. The reserves who saw playing time were Phil Nolan, Rakim Lubin and Terrence Samuel. Facey can become a pretty good option off the bench, but the other three are marginal.

That's a pretty lousy roster.

Reaction Score

"I don't make excuses. I make adjustments. We went 20-15. That means I've got to recruit harder. I've got to get the best players. I've got to do something different. But I'm never going to make excuses [to] this fan base."

That was this past May.

And he was right - he (and his staff) needed to recruit harder. In last year's opener, we started Kentan Facey and Sam Cassell. The reserves who saw playing time were Phil Nolan, Rakim Lubin and Terrence Samuel. Facey can become a pretty good option off the bench, but the other three are marginal.

I never bought into the idea that the recruiting problems were with our staff, personnel or effort. I'm not saying that I discounted those things, but felt the problems were more due to a combination of the recruiting sanctions and conference affiliation.

I pose the idea that those things can be overcome by finding kids who valued being coached and mentored by KO, which i think is the case. Of course you have to take into account UConn's history of success. I still think if we were in one of the P5 Conferences, KO would be cleaning up even more, landing more of his Plan-A recruits. There were a few swings and misses in the 2016 class, but all in all KO and his staff killed it netting the 3rd ranked class according to some. And we always have to take into account that the players you end up landing in the end, turn out to be better than some of those so called Plan-A recruits.

I did find it interesting the person who said that we may look back and see how Enoch turns out to be better than Stone. I don't know if that will really happen, but it could turn out better for us if Stone is a one-and-done, and that three to four years of Enoch turns out to be more productive than Maryland's one year of Stone. The the more that I think about it now, it was never a matter of Enoch or Stone, but both. They had already gotten the commitment from Enoch.

Reaction Score
You're off to a very bad start around here.

Reaction Score

That was this past May.

I like the way your mind works. The recruiting shortcomings are because they aren't recruiting hard enough and the success are because they started recruiting harder.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Ok, let's draw conclusions about recruits after their first college game. :rolleyes:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
A had a few doubts about KO's recruiting last year, but I always felt that, based o his history, KO would figure it out. Whether it involved his learning the recruiting game better, or adapting staff, he didn't accomplish what he had accomplished without learning and adjusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom