Florida transfer Noah Locke | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Florida transfer Noah Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gaffs problem is his consistency. For every good game he has, he has 5 bad ones. He needs to flip that ratio around lol
You should look at Shabazz’s and Kemba’s soph years. Yes, way more production, regardless of being “the go to guy” or not. But they made just as many screwy dumb plays that cost us games and the BY would melt down.

I really thought gaffney flipped a switch with the Georgetown game. Much to do still, but considering after December he was in my doghouse as the biggest letdown on the team, I’m super encouraged and happy to be proven somewhat wrong so far

Reaction Score
You should look at Shabazz’s and Kemba’s soph years. Yes, way more production, regardless of being “the go to guy” or not. But they made just as many screwy dumb plays that cost us games and the BY would melt down.

I really thought gaffney flipped a switch with the Georgetown game. Much to do still, but considering after December he was in my doghouse as the biggest letdown on the team, I’m super encouraged and happy to be proven somewhat wrong so far
Shabazz's and Kemba's sophomore years blows gaff's out of the water. Look at their game logs

I like Gaffney, but he has a looong way to go to even match their sophomore years.

Reaction Score
Shabazz's and Kemba's sophomore years blows gaff's out of the water. Look at their game logs

I like Gaffney, but he has a looong way to go to even match their sophomore years.
Really not talking about statistics here...obviously they blow him out of the water. Just more so the fact that we can’t expect sophomores to be playing consistent, mistake free ball.

Reaction Score
Really not talking about statistics here...obviously they blow him out of the water. Just more so the fact that we can’t expect sophomores to be playing consistent, mistake free ball.
If Gaffney was putting up sophomore Bazz or Kemba numbers this past year, we would be thinking title or bust next season. You could see how great those 2 guys were going to be almost every game. We saw that level from Gaffney only 4 times this year.

And FWIW, Gaffney actually played mistake free for the most part...which unfortunately is because he really didn't do anything when he was on the court lmao

Reaction Score
If Gaffney was putting up sophomore Bazz or Kemba numbers this past year, we would be thinking title or bust next season. You could see how great those 2 guys were going to be almost every game. We saw that level from Gaffney only 4 times this year.

And FWIW, Gaffney actually played mistake free for the most part...which unfortunately is because he really didn't do anything when he was on the court lmao
Buzz got so much hate on this board his soph year it was disgusting.

Reaction Score
Buzz got so much hate on this board his soph year it was disgusting.
Maybe by some of yall, but every year I get a memory on my facebook from 2012 where I made a post saying that Bazz will lead us to a title in 2014. I thought he would be great, and turns out he was lol

Reaction Score
Gaffney is a unique piece. Freshman year, he seemed like a PG, and most comfortable in that role. This year, his best production seemed to come with him playing more CG w/ RJ or another ball dominant guard on the floor

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
“Gaffney is going to blow up in 21-22” is very much the hill im choosing to die on this offseason.

I truly think moving him off the ball will do wonders for his game as he really does have a nice spot-up 3 in his arsenal. Between that and gaining more confidence in his athleticism to get to the hole and/or draw fouls, I’m all in on Jalen filling in a decent amount of what we lose in Bouk.

James was a special, special player but I’m bullish on our ability to replace him and even surpass his contributions in the aggregate between Gaffney, a Jackson step forward, Martin progressing, and Hawkins replicating Bouk’s freshman output.

Reaction Score
“Gaffney is going to blow up in 21-22” is very much the hill im choosing to die on this offseason.

I truly think moving him off the ball will do wonders for his game as he really does have a nice spot-up 3 in his arsenal. Between that and gaining more confidence in his athleticism to get to the hole and/or draw fouls, I’m all in on Jalen filling in a decent amount of what we lose in Bouk.

James was a special, special player but I’m bullish on our ability to replace him and even surpass his contributions in the aggregate between Gaffney, a Jackson step forward, Martin progressing, and Hawkins replicating Bouk’s freshman output.
i am completely onboard with gaffney being our backup sg. nothing more.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

when harry met sally ill have what shes having GIF

Reaction Score
Great post. Was thinking the exact same thing. That’s a crazy hill to die on, bullish on us replacing Bouk’s scoring with one of the most timid Huskies I’ve seen in 30 years. I like Gaffneys game a lot but to say he’s going to replace a lottery pick is insane. His mentality is nowhere close to be a primary scorer. You gotta be a dawg.

our returning guards scare no one. we must have short memories of what UConn guards look like...Khalid, Ben Gordon, AJP, Kemba, Bazz, Boat.

Reaction Score
I was actually encouraged by what we saw vs UMD. By the end of the game Gaff was the only one taking it to the hole. I think he's gonna break out nxt year maybe not Bouk level, but he'll emerge as a pretty good player.
Yeah but he cannot play the point. He needs to be off the ball. Also needs to string more than 1 strong game together.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Great post. Was thinking the exact same thing. That’s a crazy hill to die on, bullish on us replacing Bouk’s scoring with one of the most timid Huskies I’ve seen in 30 years. I like Gaffneys game a lot but to say he’s going to replace a lottery pick is insane. His mentality is nowhere close to be a primary scorer. You gotta be a dawg.

our returning guards scare no one. we must have short memories of what UConn guards look like...Khalid, Ben Gordon, AJP, Kemba, Bazz, Boat.

As I said in my post, we’re going to replace Bouk in the aggregate rather than just Gaffney. I think Jalen can step up and fill in a lot of the scoring that we’ll miss, but certainly no one on the current roster can replace Bouk 1 for 1 at this point (Hawkins has that type of ceiling but it won’t happen immediately). It’s going to be a combined effort but I also think the amount that guys deferred to James hurt us more after he came back than it helped us.

Reaction Score
Yeah but he cannot play the point. He needs to be off the ball. Also needs to string more than 1 strong game together.

100% Gaff should not play the point. He can defend the 1 with Jackson or another playmaker in, but he doesn't thrive in that role.

He passes well but has no sense for pacing, a weakish handle, and doesn't get appropriate risk-taking with moving the ball/finding cutters/feeding the post.

When he is tasked with attacking and scoring he looks a lot better.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I would love to see Polley back with another years' recovery from his injury.
He’s not coming back. Period. We really needed Locke. Let’s hope that Hawkins and Diggins are as good as advertised because I don’t think Cole and Gaff can get us to the next level.

Reaction Score
He’s not coming back. Period.
then why hasnt he just come out and announced that yet? bouk didnt waste anytime in declaring nor did BA and JC in leaving. whaley on the other hand finally announced he's staying. the more time that passes with polley the greater the likelihood of him returning it seems

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’d like to give Gaffney a shot at PG for next year. RJ looked really good coming off the bench and I would love to see if we can get end of freshman year 2.0 Gaffney back. Among the returning players he’s probably the best at creating his own shot. He showed his freshman year that he can run the offense. He’s the best guard at attacking the paint when he plays aggressive. We just need him to put it together.
Still hoping we can eventually get this starting lineup if the off-season works out...

Gaffney
Hawkins
Jackson
Whaley
Sanogo

Let RJ be the combo guard off the bench. He played great coming off the bench last year.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I’d like to give Gaffney a shot at PG for next year. RJ looked really good coming off the bench and I would love to see if we can get end of freshman year 2.0 Gaffney back. Among the returning players he’s probably the best at creating his own shot. He showed his freshman year that he can run the offense. He’s the best guard at attacking the paint when he plays aggressive. We just need him to put it together.
Still hoping we can eventually get this starting lineup if the off-season works out...

Gaffney
Hawkins
Jackson
Whaley
Sanogo

Let RJ be the combo guard off the bench. He played great coming off the bench last year.
We play a lot of PnR in the half court, although our execution namely finishing at the rim hasn’t been great. Cole is about as good of a PnR point as you can hope for. He’s also a better defender than Gaff. Gaff is better at attacking the basket but all in all Cole is our best option. I forsee us playing them together a bunch anyway. Gaffney has adequate size to play off guard in conference.

Reaction Score
He’s not coming back. Period. We really needed Locke. Let’s hope that Hawkins and Diggins are as good as advertised because I don’t think Cole and Gaff can get us to the next level.
Locke was a complimentary piece that doesn't necessarily compliment this roster. People on here look at his 3pt% and think he is an immediate need. With our current roster, we need a better fit. In fact, I'd argue we needed Kadary way more than we needed Locke. I do agree that with a backcourt of Cole and Gaffney, we won't go very far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom