OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 47 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
WildUte on the Big 12 Mafia Show did a breakdown of the value of FSU, Clemson, UNC and Miami to the ACC. It's really interesting.

For instance, since 2015, Clemson and Florida State combined have equaled 34.8% of the TV ratings of the entire conference. Add in Miami and it's 44.6%. Add in UNC and it's 50.7%. If those 4 schools leave, the conference will lose over half of its total viewership.

Reaction Score
WildUte on the Big 12 Mafia Show did a breakdown of the value of FSU, Clemson, UNC and Miami to the ACC. It's really interesting.

For instance, since 2015, Clemson and Florida State combined have equaled 34.8% of the TV ratings of the entire conference. Add in Miami and it's 44.6%. Add in UNC and it's 50.7%. If those 4 schools leave, the conference will lose over half of its total viewership.

Hope so!

Reaction Score
In an email sent to the opposing legal teams Friday afternoon, Cooper formally denied the conference's motion to dismiss the case in Leon County, allowing the case to proceed through the state's legal system. The ruling comes after more than two months of discussion over three hearings, starting April 9.

In his email, Cooper also denied the motion to pause discovery, a process that allows parties to obtain evidence before trial. This would allow FSU and the ACC to request contracts, communications and other documents for use as evidence or to locate other evidence.

This ruling opens the door for two simultaneous lawsuits to take place in both Florida and North Carolina as the ACC and FSU continue to be locked in a marathon legal battle that has lasted since last December.

South Carolina and NC for Clemson
Florida and NC for FSU

Well....gggg giddy up

Reaction Score
Josh Pate talks about his tweet of yesterday....

Transcript :

Can you expound on your gif from Twitter this week in relation to the ACC?

Yeah, I think the ACC is kind of, sort of screwed. I think the future of the conference will look radically different then it does now. There are powerful entities that are well motivated and well financially backed that want out. In other words, FSU and they're not alone. I think they're going to get out.

I put that gif out earlier this week because I have not talked about this publicly by the way. I have acquaintances shall we say. I have contacts in the legal community. These are not contacts I would normally have. I came about these contacts in a very interesting way. But I have them. And they're on the legal side of this and they're not necessarily on the football side. They're just on the legal side. I don't even know if they're aware of what Florida State's mascot is, but they're on the legal side. And I've gotten as much intel as they can give me through out this whole thing. And they've always been very, very guarded. They talk like classic legal types would talk. I can't say this, I can't tell you this, I can't tell you that, I can't respond to that. Well, earlier this week when they said, "Hey, get ready. It's coming." I put the gif out.

I don't know what the timeline is. I just know that this is the kind of person who is not one for hyperbole. Frankly I don't even think they care about the ramifications over on the college side or the conference realignment side. But they know I do. And they know people like us do. So they threw that at me and I asked a bunch of questions and I got some answers I can't share, but the long and short of it is I think that the reconstruction or reconfiguration of the ACC is pretty imminent.

And I certainly don't know action is going to happen before this season. But it wouldn't stun me at all if we heard news on this front before this season starts. And that's what? Nine Saturdays away.

So yeah, if that gives you any idea of what kind of time table we're working on it wouldn't surprise me at all if we had some breaking news stories or several breaking news stories. And knowing some of the folks that work on those stories I can whole heartedly tell you those stories are in the oven as we speak. So that's what the water gif was about.

Reaction Score
theclemsoninsider.com
CLEMSON — The saga between Clemson and the Atlantic Coast Conference continued on Thursday.

In the ACC’s latest filing in its countersuit against Clemson, the league presented emails to prove the school and the conference discussed an agreement to prevent one another from suing each other before August.

Of course, that did not happen, as Clemson sued the ACC over its grant of rights (GOR) agreement and exit fee of $130 million on March 19. With the GOR, it could cost Clemson somewhere north of a half billion dollars to leave the ACC if that opportunity presents itself.

The ACC vs. Clemson is slated for July 2 in the North Carolina courts. Clemson University will get its chance to argue that the conference’s counter suit should not be heard in the state of North Carolina.

Reaction Score
LOL...

With Cal and Stanford joining the ACC August 2, the conference wanted suits filed after that date....no sheet !

Clemson thought about it, signed no agreement....and filed in their best interest.

Reaction Score
'We are woefully underpaid' ... Trustees Chair Peter Collins discusses FSU's battle with ACC

“At the end of the day, we are worth more than we are getting paid — a lot more than we are getting paid,” Collins said. “And I would challenge anybody to tell me that we’re not. To tell me that we’re worth the same amount as some of the other schools in the conference, from a media standpoint.”

To some degree, that is the essence of Florida State’s issue with the conference.

Because many schools in the ACC do not produce strong TV ratings no matter how well their teams perform on the field, the conference’s television revenue soon will be dwarfed by the hauls of the SEC and Big Ten. The annual disparity is estimated to be at least $30 million to $40 million per school.

With that in mind, Collins said, Florida State officials repeatedly asked the ACC’s leadership to consider unequal revenue sharing, which might reward and appease the likes of FSU, Clemson and other top brands, while reducing the annual payouts to schools that don’t generate as much interest.

But other than offering some increased financial rewards for schools that perform the best on the field, called the success initiative, that concept went nowhere with the conference. Which led to Florida State filing its lawsuit, and Clemson filing its own earlier this year.

“I think our ultimate goal is to get paid for what we’re worth,” Collins said, when asked about the end goal of Florida State’s lawsuit. “And I’ll leave it at that.”

Reaction Score
Yep. The FSU hierarchy saw the p2 breakaway coming back in 2022.

Get paid what the market will pay or die on the ACC vine.

Reaction Score
Eventually conferences are going to be like the NCAA: pointless. It will be every school for themselves able to monetize whatever they can and keep 100% of it. If there's no desire to share revenue, which by definition means you get less than you're worth if you're a top dog and more than you're worth if you're at the bottom, then conferences are over beyond something akin to a scheduling alliance.

Reaction Score
'We are woefully underpaid' ... Trustees Chair Peter Collins discusses FSU's battle with ACC

“At the end of the day, we are worth more than we are getting paid — a lot more than we are getting paid,” Collins said. “And I would challenge anybody to tell me that we’re not. To tell me that we’re worth the same amount as some of the other schools in the conference, from a media standpoint.”

To some degree, that is the essence of Florida State’s issue with the conference.

Because many schools in the ACC do not produce strong TV ratings no matter how well their teams perform on the field, the conference’s television revenue soon will be dwarfed by the hauls of the SEC and Big Ten. The annual disparity is estimated to be at least $30 million to $40 million per school.

With that in mind, Collins said, Florida State officials repeatedly asked the ACC’s leadership to consider unequal revenue sharing, which might reward and appease the likes of FSU, Clemson and other top brands, while reducing the annual payouts to schools that don’t generate as much interest.

But other than offering some increased financial rewards for schools that perform the best on the field, called the success initiative, that concept went nowhere with the conference. Which led to Florida State filing its lawsuit, and Clemson filing its own earlier this year.

“I think our ultimate goal is to get paid for what we’re worth,” Collins said, when asked about the end goal of Florida State’s lawsuit. “And I’ll leave it at that.”

The ADs at Miss. St. and Vanderbilt must be thrilled with that sentiment.

Reaction Score
One thing that I give the maybe over aggressive FSU guys credit for…they have turned the national narrative on it’s head.

From the ACC being locked in through 2036 with an iron clad GOR to all sorts of scenarios of teams leaving.

From March to mid June, the narrative has reversed.

Reaction Score
Of course, only the naive will compare SEC teams making nearly double ACC teams. The problem with the ACC is that 2 teams account for 30 percent of the ACC revenue.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Lol, no FSU's beef with the ACC is that having gotten the benefits of the ACC TV deal when the money was good and the links of contract considered an asset, they now want to get out of the deal because others have done better. That's not how contracts work. It's not let's make this agreement and I'll only stick around for the portions that favor me and not for the portions that do not.

Reaction Score
As UConn made a decision to protect their number one sport, Clemson and FSU are attempting to do the same.

The problem that was foreseen was competing in a new costly environment with a lot less funding. With players being bought, bid on in the portal, paid as near employees…programs will get relegated by the P2 to “near beer” status.

Reaction Score
Of course, only the naive will compare SEC teams making nearly double ACC teams. The problem with the ACC is that 2 teams account for 30 percent of the ACC revenue.

The naive might also believe that the larger absolute dollars available in the SEC will not drive larger market programs to claim what they perceive to be their rightful share.

Reaction Score
As UConn made a decision to protect their number one sport, Clemson and FSU are attempting to do the same.

The problem that was foreseen was competing in a new costly environment with a lot less funding. With players being bought, bid on in the portal, paid as near employees…programs will get relegated by the P2 to “near beer” status.

Lol……UCONN exited the AAC under the terms of their agreement.

Reaction Score
Lol, no FSU's beef with the ACC is that having gotten the benefits of the ACC TV deal when the money was good and the links of contract considered an asset, they now want to get out of the deal because others have done better. That's not how contracts work. It's not let's make this agreement and I'll only stick around for the portions that favor me and not for the portions that do not.
Even up to this point the terms haven't favored FSU. They've still carried lesser programs on their coattails. So much has changed in terms of revenue and costs and no one could have predicted programs like Rutgers would would make multiple times programs like FSU. From a market value perspective, FSU is stuck in a horrible deal. I think they'll get out of it somehow.

Reaction Score
Look at FSU 2017-2021

Wake Forest same period

Looks like Wake was carrying them during this period and is owed some money

Reaction Score
Look at FSU 2017-2021

Wake Forest same period

Looks like Wake was carrying them during this period and is owed some money
Wins and losses aren't that important in conference realignment. Fanbases and TV ratings are most important.

Reaction Score
Wins and losses aren't that important in conference realignment. Fanbases and TV ratings are most important.
I realize that. It was sarcasm. I suspect if they move to a real conference, we will never hear from them again which I am okay with

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom