OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 48 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
The naive might also believe that the larger absolute dollars available in the SEC will not drive larger market programs to claim what they perceive to be their rightful share.

Old think...markets..schmarkets....

It is brand...eyeballs viewing...who cares that Temple is in Philadelphia while Alabama is in Tuscaloosa ?

Reaction Score
Look at FSU 2017-2021

Wake Forest same period

Looks like Wake was carrying them during this period and is owed some money

Huh ? Where did you learn how to read stats...

FSU won 8 times the conference championships in half the time...ranked in Final AP seven times more often,,,and most importantly..is a program actually viewed on TV.

Reaction Score

It is brand...eyeballs viewing...who cares that Temple is in Philadelphia while Alabama is in Tuscaloosa ?

Who assumed markets are purely geographical? You, not me......

Reaction Score

Then why is UVA coveted?

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
'We are woefully underpaid' ... Trustees Chair Peter Collins discusses FSU's battle with ACC

“At the end of the day, we are worth more than we are getting paid — a lot more than we are getting paid,” Collins said. “And I would challenge anybody to tell me that we’re not. To tell me that we’re worth the same amount as some of the other schools in the conference, from a media standpoint.”

To some degree, that is the essence of Florida State’s issue with the conference.

Because many schools in the ACC do not produce strong TV ratings no matter how well their teams perform on the field, the conference’s television revenue soon will be dwarfed by the hauls of the SEC and Big Ten. The annual disparity is estimated to be at least $30 million to $40 million per school.

With that in mind, Collins said, Florida State officials repeatedly asked the ACC’s leadership to consider unequal revenue sharing, which might reward and appease the likes of FSU, Clemson and other top brands, while reducing the annual payouts to schools that don’t generate as much interest.

But other than offering some increased financial rewards for schools that perform the best on the field, called the success initiative, that concept went nowhere with the conference. Which led to Florida State filing its lawsuit, and Clemson filing its own earlier this year.

“I think our ultimate goal is to get paid for what we’re worth,” Collins said, when asked about the end goal of Florida State’s lawsuit. “And I’ll leave it at that.”

From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs.

Reaction Score
Compare and despair. They were happy with their ACC deal until the SEC and Big10 got bigger ones. The American Way.
And, not being in the P2 will probably hurt FSU's football.

Reaction Score
Then why is UVA coveted?
I keep trying to wrap my head around that too. People keep throwing UNC and UVA out there like they are obvious additions. I don't get why. Is it because UNC is popular with basketball? Why is UConn not included then. Is it because UVA is a great academic institution? Why was Stanford left dangling then? Does anybody outside of NC or VA care about those football programs?

Reaction Score
I keep trying to wrap my head around that too. People keep throwing UNC and UVA out there like they are obvious additions. I don't get why. Is it because UNC is popular with basketball? Why is UConn not included then. Is it because UVA is a great academic institution? Why was Stanford left dangling then? Does anybody outside of NC or VA care about those football programs?
For one thing neither P2 conference needs any more football powers especially the SEC. So UNC in particular is going to get you significant penetration in a top 10 populated state at minimum in football. The difference between us & Stanford boils down to being able to attract eyeballs & attention within the state.

Reaction Score
Recruiting ground, prestigious name, and the right friends can go a long way in this new world. But UVa might be a testing ground for just how far it will take you.

Reaction Score
I don’t see Clemson and FSU bringing full share value to the SEC. Are the TV contracts going to plus up the conferences for these adds so there is no dilution? I doubt it.

FSU can go independent and really determine its own value. Maybe they can duplicate the ND contract.

Reaction Score
I really have no idea, but I would not be entirely surprised if FSU and Clemson may be over-playing their hands in trying to leave the ACC in the expectation that the SEC and BiG are waiting with open arms. Be absolutely hysterical if they were left flapping in the breeze, even if just for a while.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I really have no idea, but I would not be entirely surprised if FSU and Clemson may be over-playing their hands in trying to leave the ACC in the expectation that the SEC and BiG are waiting with open arms. Be absolutely hysterical if they were left flapping in the breeze, even if just for a while.

Sure, laughing while they're flapping in the breeze will be a good chuckle. Right up to the point of their soft landing in one of those two conferences. Results matter and they're not going to be left playing as independents. They'll end up in a better place financially than they are in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Sure, laughing while they're flapping in the breeze will be a good chuckle. Right up to the point of their soft landing in one of those two conferences. Results matter and they're not going to be left playing as independents. They'll end up in a better place financially than they are in the ACC.

Most likely.

Reaction Score
I don’t see Clemson and FSU bringing full share value to the SEC. Are the TV contracts going to plus up the conferences for these adds so there is no dilution? I doubt it.

FSU can go independent and really determine its own value. Maybe they can duplicate the ND contract.
You don’t see it ? LOL

However, the ESPN contract with the SEC says Prorata for new additions. Still, I hope that the Noles steer clear of the SEC.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It seems to be that they are excellent academic institutions that have non-laughable athletic programs so they will be in high demand. While I have no doubt UNC would love to be in the BIG I’m not convinced they would be a good fit. Same with UVA. The question is do they add $60 million in value? Not in football for sure. And basketball doesn’t add that level.

Reaction Score
It seems to be that they are excellent academic institutions that have non-laughable athletic programs so they will be in high demand. While I have no doubt UNC would love to be in the BIG I’m not convinced they would be a good fit. Same with UVA. The question is do they add $60 million in value? Not in football for sure. And basketball doesn’t add that level.

I don’t think academics have a blessed thing to do with it anymore. Granted, it’s ironic, given that we’re talking about COLLEGE athletics. Yet, here we are….

Reaction Score
You don’t see it ? LOL

However, the ESPN contract with the SEC says Prorata for new additions. Still, I hope that the Noles steer clear of the SEC.
So ESPN would pay FSU more for switching to the SEC? If it’s purely on FSU value, why not pay them less and keep them in the ACC?

If you are thinking Big 10, Oregon and Washington are taking 1/2 shares and FSU will get a full share?

If FSU’s coach leaves for another job, does he really have to pay the $6M in his contract buyout? Or since that would restrict his free movement and right to maximize his value, his contract buyout is invalid? (As Norm MacDonald would say, it’s the hypocrisy)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom