OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 29 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will have the ability to cut whatever check they need to get out of the ACC should FSU open the door. Of all the schools in the conference, they are the least likely to have problems with that check, given they already are closing in on P2 revenue.

I don't think they'll be the first out the door, but if they choose to leave once someone else does they aren't going to feel "stuck" by their contract

Reaction Score
1 - There is no mandate. ND never would have agreed to that.

2 - ND realizes that eventually they will have no choice but to join a conference for football. They will continue to avoid the question as long as possible and will attempt to remain independent for football until their agreement with the ACC expires, making them a free agent that can go out to bid when the time comes.

3 - I find it very humorous that someone who has been preaching for quite some time that one of the ACC's full member schools should not be required to honor a contract that they freely signed is now chiming in on the contractual obligations ND signed into.

Bottom line, shy of some unimaginable shake-up, ND will not join a conference for football until after their current agreement with the ACC expires.

I personally believe it's bullspit that others have always been willing to accommodate ND while ND takes advantage of them but as long as conferences (initially the BE, now the ACC) are willing, ND will continue to take advantage.

Only reporting what has been reported...of course an internet poster may also post why he thinks different...but it would be nice to link sources...

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
ESPN is not a signatory of the GOR....the GOR is between the schools and the conference. ESPN did require the GOR (according to Swofford), but is not a signatory party to the GOR.

The schools are not signatories of the ESPN Agreement...that would be between ESPN and the conference only.

ESPN has no direct relationship with the schools...but with the conference.

The GOR assigns "rights" to the conference but only "as necessary" to fulfill the ESPN-ACC agreement.

Until I see something that contradicts it, I think ESPN owns schools' rights until the end of the ACC-ESPN deal, whenever that is.... 2026 or 2036.

Clemson doesn't agree with you - they just sued saying that Clemson and the conference are parties to the school's rights (what I said), and that the conference and ESPN are for the GOR (also what i said).

Reaction Score
Clemson agrees with me...What I said is not against their or FSU's position...it just outlines the tangled GOR, ESPN Agreement (which appears to end in 2027 if not extended). They and FSU are in lock step and have been.

“Without clarity as to its legal rights and obligations, Clemson cannot protect and advance its interests, or the interests of its student-athletes, in current and ongoing negotiations within the Conference, with the Conference’s existing media partner ESPN, and in collegiate athletics more generally,” the lawsuit states.

“Without a judicial declaration of its legal rights, which have been openly challenged by the ACC, Clemson is unable to pursue a wide range of strategic alternatives that may be necessary for its continued success in collegiate athletics and as an institution,” the complaint states. “By espousing an inaccurate interpretation of the grant of rights agreements and allowing that interpretation to proliferate throughout the media, the ACC has cast a harmful cloud of doubt on Clemson’s ability to engage in meaningful discussions with other conferences and media providers regarding potential future collaborations and/or to negotiate alternative revenue sharing proposals among ACC members.

Reaction Score
The problem is the entanglement of documents...and their conflicts...

From FSU's filing..

170. Under the legal doctrine generalia specialibus non derogant – that where there is a conflict between the general and specific, the specific provisions prevail – the ACC GofR can neither be read nor interpreted to subvert, usurp and/or amend the specific provisions of the ACC Constitution and Bylaws and/or the 2016 Amended and Restated Multi-Media Agreement between the ACC and ESPN.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Clemson agrees with me...What I said is not against their or FSU's position...it just outlines the tangled GOR, ESPN Agreement (which appears to end in 2027 if not extended). They and FSU are in lock step and have been.

“Without clarity as to its legal rights and obligations, Clemson cannot protect and advance its interests, or the interests of its student-athletes, in current and ongoing negotiations within the Conference, with the Conference’s existing media partner ESPN, and in collegiate athletics more generally,” the lawsuit states.

“Without a judicial declaration of its legal rights, which have been openly challenged by the ACC, Clemson is unable to pursue a wide range of strategic alternatives that may be necessary for its continued success in collegiate athletics and as an institution,” the complaint states. “By espousing an inaccurate interpretation of the grant of rights agreements and allowing that interpretation to proliferate throughout the media, the ACC has cast a harmful cloud of doubt on Clemson’s ability to engage in meaningful discussions with other conferences and media providers regarding potential future collaborations and/or to negotiate alternative revenue sharing proposals among ACC members.
Sigh. Read it again. Your "tangled" bit is FSU-ese for "I don't really understand this"

Reaction Score
With conference
The problem is the entanglement of documents...and their conflicts...

From FSU's filing..

170. Under the legal doctrine generalia specialibus non derogant – that where there is a conflict between the general and specific, the specific provisions prevail – the ACC GofR can neither be read nor interpreted to subvert, usurp and/or amend the specific provisions of the ACC Constitution and Bylaws and/or the 2016 Amended and Restated Multi-Media Agreement between the ACC and ESPN.
what's your connection to UConn? Apologies if you've already stated it. Just curious why a FSU fan hangs out here.

Reaction Score
I have answered this many times over the years on this forum...and some
Sigh. Read it again. Your "tangled" bit is FSU-ese for "I don't really understand this"
And neither can Clemson without clarity from the court according to Clemson's filing..

Reaction Score
what's your connection to UConn? Apologies if you've already stated it. Just curious why a FSU fan hangs out here.

I have been asked quite a few times over the 10 1/2 years that I have been on this board. Mostly from xenophobic folks, others genuinely curious. And there is always a tribal aspect to sports boards, so I don't get offended.

As I have said...I am a sports fan...I have been on West Virginia boards for 20 years, on the CFP message board (college football poll) for 18 years, the Tarheel board, Ohio State board, Texas Ags, BC, Oklahoma, Michigan, Clemson, Miami, FSU, and a few assorted others.

I retired early...had a lot of time and like sports...it also keeps me thinking and my mind working. And frankly, at 77, losing cognitive ability is a fear of mine. More so than physical capacity.

Reaction Score
I have been asked quite a few times over the 10 1/2 years that I have been on this board. Mostly from xenophobic folks, others genuinely curious. And there is always a tribal aspect to sports boards, so I don't get offended.

As I have said...I am a sports fan...I have been on West Virginia boards for 20 years, on the CFP message board (college football poll) for 18 years, the Tarheel board, Ohio State board, Texas Ags, BC, Oklahoma, Michigan, Clemson, Miami, FSU, and a few assorted others.

I retired early...had a lot of time and like sports...it also keeps me thinking and my mind working. And frankly, at 77, losing cognitive ability is a fear of mine. More so than physical capacity.
Maybe if you posted about UConn every once and a while people wouldn't ask you that.

Reaction Score

We enjoy having you here. At least some of us do. We appreciate your input on the board.

Reaction Score
But we have a BC fan pretending to be a UConn fan and posting about UConn.

I enjoy having billybud around and fans of other schools as long as they identify themselves as such.
That’s fair. Not my place to tell people where they can/can’t post.

Reaction Score
That’s fair. Not my place to tell people where they can/can’t post.
I was blocked on the Syracuse board before I even posted one comment
time gets GIF

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
do any of you think uconn will soon be in ACC?
Soon? This depends on how you define soon.

There will be more movement which (shy of some ruling from ongoing litigation that makes departure from the ACC less cost prohibitive) likely won't begin for another half dozen years. The Power Conferences will end up as the SEC & B1G with 20-24 members each as tier one, the ACC and B-12 (each with about 12-14 members) as tier two. When the B1G and SEC add further membership, which obviously will come from current B-12 and ACC schools, there will be room for us. Don't be surprised if the B-12 and ACC (for among other things, self preservation) work on an agreement to move some members to have things make more geographic sense and also reach some scheduling agreements.

Reaction Score
Soon? This depends on how you define soon.

There will be more movement which (shy of some ruling from ongoing litigation that makes departure from the ACC less cost prohibitive) likely won't begin for another half dozen years. The Power Conferences will end up as the SEC & B1G with 20-24 members each as tier one, the ACC and B-12 (each with about 12-14 members) as tier two. When the B1G and SEC add further membership, which obviously will come from current B-12 and ACC schools, there will be room for us. Don't be surprised if the B-12 and ACC (for among other things, self preservation) work on an agreement to move some members to have things make more geographic sense and also reach some scheduling agreements.
If they did make some kind of agreement they’d be better off merging into one conference and splitting into regional divisions with alternating crossover games like the NFL currently does. I don’t necessarily foresee that happening, but if you’re battling for conference #3 in the rankings you might as well group everyone together while also maintain regional rivalries.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom