Florida Over Tennessee | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Florida Over Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To the Tenn-ow-see AD:HeyDude,you have the greatest wcbb coach of all times.She's not just an empty pant suit.She needs an extension that lasts at least through my lifetime.I agree with her players that "hey,it's not her out here enjoying this college experience,it is us .She had her time on the court and now we do what we damn well please while we here.Nuff said".

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So what compels them to repeat self-destructive behavior?
Because they can and per Nan's post there are no consequences for TN players.

If there is underlying antipathy towards the coaching staff, then why not transfer to a better situation?
For the same reason many adults refuse to leave their parents homes and go into the real world. In the real world and at other programs someone might actually yell at you and hold you accountable. Is that really "a better situation" for a kid?

Reaction Score
Maybe Tenn should take a ride up to the University of Hartford and ask if they could borrow
a good tough coach for the rest of the season. It looks like Holly has lost control of the team.
With no recruits coming in next year, maybe the fans will want to exchange their basketball
tickets for softball tickets. Where's Margo?

Could you imagine if this happened to a Geno coached team? He would have the Dance Team
on the floor playing the game and the players back at the practice facility practicing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe Tenn should take a ride up to the University of Hartford and ask if they could borrow
a good tough coach for the rest of the season. It looks like Holly has lost control of the team.
With no recruits coming in next year, maybe the fans will want to exchange their basketball
tickets for softball tickets. Where's Margo?

Could you imagine if this happened to a Geno coached team? He would have the Dance Team
on the floor playing the game and the players back at the practice facility practicing.
Let's be careful how much "help"/ advise we offer TN. Somethings they should have to figure out for themselves. There a good coach at University of Hartford? :eek:

Reaction Score
Yea, I can see the headlines now: Lady Vols Hire Former UConn Great as New Head Coach
:p :cool: :oops: :eek: :mad: :confused:

The fun we could have with that!

Press conference.....

Q - Coach Rizzotti what do you bring to Tenn?
A - Well quite simply I hope to bring UConn basketball to Tenn. A UConn south you might say.

:D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Far be it for me to defend Holly because I think she's lost control of the team and the players seem to know they can do what they want with no consequences, but what other options are there?

Her press conference is fascinating as she says as much without the least bit of realization of what it means; meaning of course she doesn't know how to fix it but feels no vulnerability about it.

http://www.utsports.com/video/?cUdEiQpGZU4

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
They are starting to turn on Diamond on the Tennessee boards...that didn't take long. Pretty sure we all called that when she transferred.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Her press conference is fascinating as she says as much without the least bit of realization of what it means; meaning of course she doesn't know how to fix it but feels no vulnerability about it.

http://www.utsports.com/video/?cUdEiQpGZU4
A few quotes from her...

"I'm telling them to drive and they are shooting 3's" (Diamond 0-5, Coooper 1-5, Nared 0-2, Middleton 0-3 - Hey Holly how about sitting the players who jacked up five 3-pointers against your instructions?)

On shot selection "It wasn't impatience because we were going deep into the clock. I don't know. Ask them. I'm saying one thing and they are doing another"... (see my comment above. Bench players who don't listen)

"Tonight we weren't just missing a leader - we were missing the whole team"

The rest of the presser is pretty much more of the same - team didn't do what the coaches wanted them to do. The solution is rather simple, but hard to implement. She needs to bench players who don't listen in favor of those who do and not let them off the bench until they do what the coaches want. If that means sitting the problem players for 1 game or 5 games until they get the message.

Heck, Geno sat Morgan and Stewie for an entire game last season. Message received. Play the way we want, and the way we know you are capable of playing, or ride the pine. If that pisses players off, tough . If they want to transfer because they don't want to listen to the coaches, then fine - team chemistry will be better down the road. The problem is that Holly is being held hostage by several of the "most talented" players on the team and until she grows a pair, it will be more of the same.

Reaction Score
IMHO, Tenn has 2 choices:
1. Let the coach go (not possible now)
2. Let the not cooperated players go (painful, but this can reset Tenn to start from fresh)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The problem is that Holly is being held hostage by several of the "most talented" players

How do they do that while playing merde basketball? I don't get that. And who are they other than DD. Mercedes "Don't Bump Me" Russell. Who?

Reaction Score
How do they do that while playing merde basketball? I don't get that. And who are they other than DD. Mercedes "Don't Bump Me" Russell. Who?

I think the op was alluding to not a specific threat but the possibility of transfer if they are benched. You have to be willing to make a statement even if it means playing walk-ons and/or having a few 're-building' seasons to re-establish the program.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The players I'm referring to are Cooper and Deshields. I don't specifically know about the attitudes of the rest of the team, or even specifics about theirs, but I've read a lot about it and am putting 2 + 2 together.

As for other talented players, Russell was a top 3 kid and Nared was at least a top 10, maybe top 5. Cooper was top 8 per ASGR but 16 per BS and 12 per HG. And don't forget Graves was a top 5 kid too. It's the same old same old for them. Every year they say "but next year will be special because we have so many top kids coming back". They conveniently forget that last year, they graduated Massengale and Burdick - a pair of top 4 kids coming out of HS, and they also lost Harrison who was a top draft pick and ended up having a terrific career in spite of her "lower" HS ranking.

I'm not sure if you were asking what top players they have, or what top players are causing a chemistry issue. I can't speak with certainty on the 2nd, but I can certainly guess, which is what I've done...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The players I'm referring to are Cooper and Deshields. I don't specifically know about the attitudes of the rest of the team, or even specifics about theirs, but I've read a lot about it and am putting 2 + 2 together.

As for other talented players, Russell was a top 3 kid and Nared was at least a top 10, maybe top 5. Cooper was top 8 per ASGR but 16 per BS and 12 per HG. And don't forget Graves was a top 5 kid too. It's the same old same old for them. Every year they say "but next year will be special because we have so many top kids coming back". They conveniently forget that last year, they graduated Massengale and Burdick - a pair of top 4 kids coming out of HS, and they also lost Harrison who was a top draft pick and ended up having a terrific career in spite of her "lower" HS ranking.

I'm not sure if you were asking what top players they have, or what top players are causing a chemistry issue. I can't speak with certainty on the 2nd, but I can certainly guess, which is what I've done...

Cooper is not developing and that is not strange, since Tenn has no system that can develop a quality guard. She'd do well to transfer. DD - could she transfer? Physical question mark. 3 is a charm? I suspect she just becomes the consummate chucker in the hopes of finding a WNBA home for chuckers at the end of 2017 season.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Cooper is not developing and that is not strange, since Tenn has no system that can develop a quality guard. She'd do well to transfer. DD - could she transfer? Physical question mark. Head case. 3 is a charm? I suspect she just becomes the consummate chucker in the hopes of finding a WNBA home for chuckers at the end of 2017 season.
Watching the game last night I was thinking she would leave early... like what would be the advantage for her staying? She will likely already have her degree. I think it is at least 50/50 on her leaving for the WNBA at the end of the 2016-2017 season.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Watching the game last night I was thinking she would leave early... like what would be the advantage for her staying? She will likely already have her degree. I think it is at least 50/50 on her leaving for the WNBA at the end of the 2016-2017 season.
Oh I'd say the odds are like 80-20 she leaves. Maybe even higher.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A few quotes from her...

"I'm telling them to drive and they are shooting 3's" (Diamond 0-5, Coooper 1-5, Nared 0-2, Middleton 0-3 - Hey Holly how about sitting the players who jacked up five 3-pointers against your instructions?)

On shot selection "It wasn't impatience because we were going deep into the clock. I don't know. Ask them. I'm saying one thing and they are doing another"... (see my comment above. Bench players who don't listen)

"Tonight we weren't just missing a leader - we were missing the whole team"

The rest of the presser is pretty much more of the same - team didn't do what the coaches wanted them to do. The solution is rather simple, but hard to implement. She needs to bench players who don't listen in favor of those who do and not let them off the bench until they do what the coaches want. If that means sitting the problem players for 1 game or 5 games until they get the message.

Heck, Geno sat Morgan and Stewie for an entire game last season. Message received. Play the way we want, and the way we know you are capable of playing, or ride the pine. If that pisses players off, tough . If they want to transfer because they don't want to listen to the coaches, then fine - team chemistry will be better down the road. The problem is that Holly is being held hostage by several of the "most talented" players on the team and until she grows a pair, it will be more of the same.

I was too lazy to do the work, but pretty fascinating stuff huh! Her demeanor: If I act a little puzzled and disgusted I can skate on my own responsibility. I'm increasingly thinking she thinks she's Pat Summit.

Reaction Score
Cooper is not developing and that is not strange, since Tenn has no system that can develop a quality guard. She'd do well to transfer. DD - could she transfer? Physical question mark. 3 is a charm? I suspect she just becomes the consummate chucker in the hopes of finding a WNBA home for chuckers at the end of 2017 season.
Who wants those players I just doubt? They can do the same things repeatedly.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I watched the first quarter, went back to my piano and then checked back at the end
Amazing, amazing, amazing as ole Casey used to say.
They were so dominant at the top with good strong D
And getting the ball inside to Mercedes and Graves, even hitting 3's
Up by how much? 10, 11?
How could they lose?
A team that takes it foot off the gas, I suppose and forgets what got them there.
Talk about a badly coached team.
And their savior, Miss Diamond, is just not right, she looks awful.

I perused the game "comments" section of ESPN's scores right after that game. The natives are restless. Of the approx. 35 posts there, not one was positive. Most of them questioned her coaching skill, judgement and acumen, while others were calling for her immediate dismissal.

One common question was how could a team with so much talent be so unorganized and undisciplined. Many complained that there appeared to be a lack of leadership from the bench and on the floor. Some also questioned why most of their top recruits have not developed as expected up to this point. One poster feared a mass exodus of players from the program, including DeShields.

One supporter indicated that he was done!! He was turning in his "booster club card", and no longer following the program until such time as Holly is no longer the coach (ouch).

To say that these are troubling times in the Lady Volunteer kingdom is an understatement. :confused:

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
RE: Holly's lack of control.

Here's what I don't understand. I have to believe that the LV players are as competitive as those on any other team, and want to return Tennessee to its former greatness. And it's pretty clear that when they go off script, the results are often disastrous.

So what compels them to repeat self-destructive behavior? If there is underlying antipathy towards the coaching staff, then why not transfer to a better situation?
There is a complete lack of trust between players and coaching staff.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One thing I would like to point out is that it's super easy to be a fan of UCONN when they have basically won 50% of the NC's in the past 16 years. We are blessed and lucky as a fan base. Someday Geno will retire and we will be faced with a successor who likely will enjoy not even close to the success Geno has enjoyed. It's even possible that UCONN will never win another NC once Geno is gone. This is what Tennessee fans are facing.

Not only has the recruiting been dwindling
  1. 2014 - Nared (#6, 19 and 25), Middleton (#28, 22, 46) and Dunbar (#78, 74, 65)
  2. 2015 - Cooper (#12, 16, 8 Jackson (#49, 28, 35)
  3. 2016 - No one recruited. No one left on the board except Ionescu (who's staying west) and top 40 kid Harris
Looking ahead to next year, they would have:
  1. SR - Carter, Jones, Reynolds
  2. JR - DD, Russell, Dunbar Middleton, Nared
  3. SO - Cooper, Jackson
  4. FR - Nobody
Assuming that both Russell and DD stay until their senior years, they would need a plethora of top players from 2017 to still be competitive. I suppose you could start Cooper, Middleton, Nared, DD and Russell, but that leaves a bench of Dunbar, Jackson, and whoever they get from 2017. I'm unconvinced that top kids will continue to look at Tennessee the disarray the team is currently in. Let's hope they don't land any top 10 kids in 2017 either - then the slide will almost be complete!

Lastly, if DD and/or Russell leave early, and I think it's more likely DD would than Russell, then they are in even deeper trouble from a talent standpoint.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Their current problems are also showing up at the ticket office. UTenn was once a lock to be the WCBB attendance leader, year after year. Half way through this year's home games, attendance is down almost 15% from just two years ago. Unless something changes they will not break 10K/game for the 1st time that I can remember.

Reaction Score
74 - 66. Lady Vols with all that talent shoot 29%.

[LINK] to stats
2 years ago DD took something like 167 3's and shot about 29%. Sit her if she shoots them. As for players not following the coaches direction she MUST pull them out of the game and make the statement to the team - follow my game plan or sit. This isn't the NBA. They have depth and no one player should be so important (especially if the aren't following the coaches lead) that she can't bench any player she needs to. Many coaches are nervous to bench a starter for fear of losing the game, but it's about the season not one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom