Florida Over Tennessee | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Florida Over Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
bench whoever isnt following coach's instructions (if they suppose to drive but is hoisting up 3's)

Margo is a few videos behind, someone needs to check on her

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Interesting presser by Holly with Carter and Graves
http://www.utsports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/010716aaa.html

Holly tries to throw the team under the bus but it comes out sounding like she has no control.
She tells the guards to penetrate, they hoist 3's

Carter affirmed that for whatever reason, the team just did't listen to Holly. Not her fault, she said
Mentioned that the coaches took it easy on them this week with a busy schedule. no excuse there.

Graves was pretty miserable, couldn't buy a bucket, even from point blank range

When the team plays with max effort, and reasonable smarts, they're still a tough out.

Jury is still out: Do the collapse, pull together or a little of both? Who knows.
The players do what they want because there are no consequences if they disobey their coach. Any player that ignores her coach should be pulled and put at the end of the bench. Play the team manager and sign up some walk ons if necessary but only play the kids that listen. Holly needs to get control of her team.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The players do what they want because there's no consequence if they disobey their coach. Any player that ignores her coach should be pulled and put at the end of the bench. Play the team manager and sign up some walk ons if necessary but only play the kids that listen. Holly needs to get control of her team.

Excellent point Nan.

And this is why, if the AD fires Holly, the entire coaching staff must go too. An entirely new culture must be brought to the program that includes accountability on the players part.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The players do what they want because there's no consequence if they disobey their coach. Any player that ignores her coach should be pulled and put at the end of the bench. Play the team manager and sign up some walk ons if necessary but only play the kids that listen. Holly needs to get control of her team.
That isn't going to happen. She doesn't know how to do that. She has no clue. It starts with the athletes you recruit and how you sell them the program and their role.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
TN lose to an uranked team at home?

a2873451611_10.jpg

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
For how many years has this been going on? A very long time. Parker ran the team when Pat was there and now the players are running the team. Holly is afraid to lose. Nan you nailed it. Sit the players who are not listening or executing and not doing what they are told. Holly doesn't have to be afraid of loosing now because the LVs are underachieving. Hey you cant make this stuff up but I have to say there are many fans lovin it.

As for some comments on UConn next season and their tuff schedule. Geno will have them prepared and they will learn fast. Don't forget we haven't seen the real Katie Lou or Collier yet. Theyre still being developed. When they come on we will have two more AAs for opponents to contend with. Ive heard talk that UConn could lose 5-8 games next season. Well what if UConn goes undefeated again????? A lot of opponents are happy to see Stewie and Mojeff graduate and are counting on UConn being beatable. IMO when your beating teams by as much as UConn is and your opponents are losing key players just like you well I like Genos chances a lot more then our opponents chances of beating us. I know MD has the top recruiting class coming in and they have NO experience. I know SC has some great transfers coming in but are loosing 5 top players. I know ND has a good class coming in but Turner is hurt and needs surgery in the off season and Cable Huffman and Mabrey 1 are graduating. I know Ohio St has transfers Mavunga and Calhoun coming in but UConn beat them by how many this season at their place. Baylor has a lot of height but cant play all 4 6'5+ girls at the same time and be effective and they have some good kids coming in next season too. I know Texas has a very good team this season and have some good kids coming in and losing a couple of good kids. Bottom line is we are looking at a UConn team this season that will have more experience and quickness next season then many of the opponents Ive mentioned. So yeah I like our chances a lot. We may not win every game by double digits but we will win most of them and surprise a lot of teams by showing how good we really are. It all starts with defense and that's why UConn dominates and that's why Geno is talking better defense.

Reaction Score
Florida has beaten Florida St. and now Tennessee. Might deserve more votes.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score

Right you are, Nan. But I don't think the cats are going back in the bag for Holly. She can't even herd them, much less catch them.

Last edited:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Hey, let's keep in mind that we have some friendly and respectful Lady Vol posters joining us on this board. We should at least acknowledge that how this season is unfolding for Tennessee must be as difficult for them as it is gleeful for us.

Reaction Score
I watched the first quarter, went back to my piano and then checked back at the end
Amazing, amazing, amazing as ole Casey used to say.
They were so dominant at the top with good strong D
And getting the ball inside to Mercedes and Graves, even hitting 3's
Up by how much? 10, 11?
How could they lose?
A team that takes it foot off the gas, I suppose and forgets what got them there.
Talk about a badly coached team.
And their savior, Miss Diamond, is just not right, she looks awful.

"Ole' Casey also said, as coach of the Mets, "Can't anybody here play this game?" Side note: Holly was quoted as saying that her players just don't listen to her. When she tells them to go inside, they fire up from the outside. Is this a communication problem or the team's attempt to see if doing what Holly doesn't want them to do will work? By the by, Florida was w/out its coach; won anyway. Message in that for Ms. Warlick?

Reaction Score
Hey, let's keep in mind that we have some friendly and respectful Lady Vol posters joining us on this board. We should at least acknowledge that how this season is unfolding for Tennessee must be as difficult for them as it is gleeful for us.
And we might also keep in mind all the times the camera catches Auriemma running both hands through his hair after he's laid out a play, say, then watches them doing something else entirely.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
"By the by, Florida was w/out its coach; won anyway. Message in that for Ms. Warlick?
Hmmm maybe TN should look at FL's Asst. Coaches.

Nah, Holly's doing fine.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For how many years has this been going on? A very long time. Parker ran the team when Pat was there and now the players are running the team. Holly is afraid to lose. Nan you nailed it. Sit the players who are not listening or executing and not doing what they are told. Holly doesn't have to be afraid of loosing now because the LVs are underachieving. Hey you cant make this stuff up but I have to say there are many fans lovin it.

As for some comments on UConn next season and their tuff schedule. Geno will have them prepared and they will learn fast. Don't forget we haven't seen the real Katie Lou or Collier yet. Theyre still being developed. When they come on we will have two more AAs for opponents to contend with. Ive heard talk that UConn could lose 5-8 games next season. Well what if UConn goes undefeated again????? A lot of opponents are happy to see Stewie and Mojeff graduate and are counting on UConn being beatable. IMO when your beating teams by as much as UConn is and your opponents are losing key players just like you well I like Genos chances a lot more then our opponents chances of beating us. I know MD has the top recruiting class coming in and they have NO experience. I know SC has some great transfers coming in but are loosing 5 top players. I know ND has a good class coming in but Turner is hurt and needs surgery in the off season and Cable Huffman and Mabrey 1 are graduating. I know Ohio St has transfers Mavunga and Calhoun coming in but UConn beat them by how many this season at their place. Baylor has a lot of height but cant play all 4 6'5+ girls at the same time and be effective and they have some good kids coming in next season too. I know Texas has a very good team this season and have some good kids coming in and losing a couple of good kids. Bottom line is we are looking at a UConn team this season that will have more experience and quickness next season then many of the opponents Ive mentioned. So yeah I like our chances a lot. We may not win every game by double digits but we will win most of them and surprise a lot of teams by showing how good we really are. It all starts with defense and that's why UConn dominates and that's why Geno is talking better defense.
For me it is this simple. With Geno and a healthy Tuck next year I like our chances better than anyone else's. Without Tuck it is a more even race but with Geno as the jockey I would still bet UCONN to win come April 2017.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And we might also keep in mind all the times the camera catches Auriemma running both hands through his hair after he's laid out a play, say, then watches them doing something else entirely.
Entirely different situations IMO. UCONN runs a read and react offense so it is not unusual for a UCONN player to do something different than the play Geno drew up because the defense reacted differently than anticipated. What happened last night was ALL TN players deliberately and repeatedly ignored the scout-game plan. Holly said "different agenda" 4 times during the presser and stated emphatically. That wasn't the game plan ! 1 UCONN player ignoring the game plan will send Geno ballistic, and get that player benched. An entire UCONN team ignoring the game plan would result in Geno's retirement instantly!

Reaction Score
Acknowledged. It must be difficult. Possibly seek professional help if it gets too bad?

upload_2016-1-8_10-6-39.png

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I actually don't think their fans are all that hysterical
The team is woefully underperforming
The have zero recruits next season
Play is very undisciplined, coaching is very suspect.
The program has an illustrious tradition

Can you blame them for being so discouraged?
And to advocate change?
Seems perfectly reasonable to me.
I re-read my post and I probably should have said that the "mass hysteria from the more insane faction of the fan base" makes me smile.

Far be it for me to defend Holly because I think she's lost control of the team and the players seem to know they can do what they want with no consequences, but what other options are there? Fire Holly now? And replace her with who? What decent coach out there would want that train-wreck, never mind needing to leave their own program mid season and abandoning all the kids they recruited? Tenn fans would not be satisfied with an assistant coach hired away from some mid major. They've thrown Tyler Summit's name around - as if his almost 2 years HC experience at La Tech is any match for taking over the house that Pat built.

Add to that - from everything we've read, the AD at Tennessee is only really interested in returning the football program to its' former glory and has little interest in supporting the women's hoops program. What sort of coach wants to step into that situation? It's a setup for failure. Not to mention the AD would need to buy out Holly's contract which would cost $$ and I'm betting he's not inclined to do that.

Anyway, I wasn't arguing the merits of how reasonable the reactions are - I was stating my happiness that the wheels are falling off the wagon for that program. Karma, if you will. Maybe if they apologized to Maya and her family and mended fences with UCONN... Then again, that wouldn't help their situation really, except to make them a potential regular season opponent for UCONN.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I re-read my post and I probably should have said that the "mass hysteria from the more insane faction of the fan base" makes me smile.

Far be it for me to defend Holly because I think she's lost control of the team and the players seem to know they can do what they want with no consequences, but what other options are there? Fire Holly now? And replace her with who? What decent coach out there would want that train-wreck, never mind needing to leave their own program mid season and abandoning all the kids they recruited? Tenn fans would not be satisfied with an assistant coach hired away from some mid major. They've thrown Tyler Summit's name around - as if his almost 2 years HC experience at La Tech is any match for taking over the house that Pat built.

Add to that - from everything we've read, the AD at Tennessee is only really interested in returning the football program to its' former glory and has little interest in supporting the women's hoops program. What sort of coach wants to step into that situation? It's a setup for failure. Not to mention the AD would need to buy out Holly's contract which would cost $$ and I'm betting he's not inclined to do that.

Anyway, I wasn't arguing the merits of how reasonable the reactions are - I was stating my happiness that the wheels are falling off the wagon for that program. Karma, if you will. Maybe if they apologized to Maya and her family and mended fences with UCONN... Then again, that wouldn't help their situation really, except to make them a potential regular season opponent for UCONN.
Agree with all of that. Don't think they want to buy her out, I believe they just gave her an extension. That would look really stupid, besides the $$$.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
RE: Holly's lack of control.

Here's what I don't understand. I have to believe that the LV players are as competitive as those on any other team, and want to return Tennessee to its former greatness. And it's pretty clear that when they go off script, the results are often disastrous.

So what compels them to repeat self-destructive behavior? If there is underlying antipathy towards the coaching staff, then why not transfer to a better situation?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Damn straight!! (A like was not sufficient for the extent of my agreement!)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
That isn't going to happen. She doesn't know how to do that. She has no clue. It starts with the athletes you recruit and how you sell them the program and their role.
Yup. Way too late. The train has left the station.

Reaction Score

I bet there are a number of promising young coaches who would jump at the chance of coaching Tennessee.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Howsomever;

The B-ball gods may get annoyed
If we show too much schadenfreude!

(PL, semi-retired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online