Final Four threats | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Final Four threats

Reaction Score
Teams that lose big to UConn the prior season Tournament sometimes do very well the next season. :oops:
Oh my. That is scary. Indiana has something brewing and they, like a lot of programs that were in the Elite Eight, could be a huge threat. Coach Moren, in her 9th season, has that Indiana program playing some incredible basketball and highly competitive.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
can she make the tournament first?

Hey hey hey

Not a chance in hell! Signed by a “biased”observer. :rolleyes::D

This-is-getting-out-of-hand-meme-4055.jpg

Reaction Score
ND does actually have a really good shot. I like their chances this year, but next year (2023-2024), I seriously think they’ll be a NC contender (depending on who they get to go with Risch in 2023).

My Final Four Predictions for 2023:
-Stanford
-UCONN
-SC
-ND

(Alternates: Texas/Iowa)

Reaction Score
ND does actually have a really good shot. I like their chances this year, but next year (2023-2024), I seriously think they’ll be a NC contender (depending on who they get to go with Risch in 2023).

My Final Four Predictions for 2023:
-Stanford
-UCONN
-SC
-ND

(Alternates: Texas/Iowa)
those are my 4 too. North Carolina being the alternate.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Duke making it to the Final Four would surely be shocking when you consider they didn't make the tournament last season. They played poorly down the stretch and didn't look like a cohesive unit that wanted to play together.

A lot of roster turnover so we'll see what Lawson does with this year's group. I predict Day-Wilson will take a lot of shots.

Reaction Score
Duke making it to the Final Four would surely be shocking when you consider they didn't make the tournament last season. They played poorly down the stretch and didn't look like a cohesive unit that wanted to play together.

A lot of roster turnover so we'll see what Lawson does with this year's group. I predict Day-Wilson will take a lot of shots.
Kara has done “alright” in my opinion, but this year is the big test for her.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Duke, I think Kara Lawson is cooking up something good in Durham

Glad you said that, If I would have said it, yall would have accused me of drinking too much :rolleyes:

I agree. If the players can stay healthy and buy in to what Coach Lawson is trying to build there in Durham, they just might shock a lot of people and kick in the door of the Final Four.

My hopes for the coming season... deliver some payback to a few teams... (looking at you VPI, UVA, GaTech, State, Boston College, Miami, FSU, and of course the neighbors down the road)... make it to at least Saturday in the ACC tournament, and win at least one game in the NCAA tournament.

Now if Duke does shock the world and make its to Dallas....... all of the liquor joints, pastry shops , and possible jails in Central NC should be on high alert.

Reaction Score
Glad you said that, If I would have said it, yall would have accused me of drinking too much :rolleyes:

My hopes for the coming season... deliver some payback to a few teams... (looking at you VPI, UVA, GaTech, State, Boston College, Miami, FSU, and of course the neighbors down the road)... make it to at least Saturday in the ACC tournament, and win at least one game in the NCAA tournament.

Now if Duke does shock the world and make its to Dallas....... all of the liquor joints, pastry shops , and possible jails in Central NC should be on high alert.
Looking at their non-conference schedule—Lawson didn’t do herself any favors AT ALL. Their best game(s) is the PK85 to be honest. I know she wants those W’s, but c’mon….!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UGA, I think these guys are going to be the surprise team next year.
We’ll see how the current roster adjusts to Coach Abe’s physical style of play. The SEC has bigger, stronger players than the AAC; she may not have as much success there. Ask C Vivian Stringer how the physical defense worked in the Big 10

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
So much "newness" for Georgia this coming season with a new head coach (one NCAA win in her career?) and lots of new transfers. Georgia couldn't get past the second round the last couple of seasons, so predicting them to be a Final Four caliber team is bold. Maybe all the "newness" results in huge leaps; but, not sure this will be the season.

Reaction Score
I browsed the A&M page (WBB) and many seem to think they are a sweet 16/elite 8 potential. Thought that was interesting.

Not super familiar with that roster though. Barker is clearly a beast but I think Joni is going to need a few more recruiting classes.

Last edited:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The other question is. If any of the teams mentioned make the FF. Who do they replace? My guess is if any team doesn't make the FF it will be Louisville.

Reaction Score
I browsed the A&M page (WBB) and many seem to think they are a sweet 16/elite 8 potential. Thought that was interesting.
I'm not sure what happened to them last year. They had lost some great bigs but to finish below .500 was sortve surprising, especially since I thought they picked up good talent in the portal. I think their freshman Janiah Barker is going to be really good and I still believe in Jordan Nixon. Final four seems like a stretch as I'd be surprised if they finish top 4 in the SEC next year.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Stanford is loaded in the front court. Will be interesting to see how their young back court does. Come post-season, you win with guard play.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Stanford is loaded in the front court. Will be interesting to see how their young back court does. Come post-season, you win with guard play.
True. If the guard play isn't there they won't make the FF.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
We’ll see how the current roster adjusts to Coach Abe’s physical style of play. The SEC has bigger, stronger players than the AAC; she may not have as much success there. Ask C Vivian Stringer how the physical defense worked in the Big 10
Just to be fair, defense probably wasn't the problem. For each of the last 2 years, Rutgers had the lowest points against for in-conference games in the Big 10 (and probably other seasons as well, the stats just were not on the B1G website). While Vivian didn't coach this last season, I'm sure it was her defense being played.

To be fair, the defense lacked the physicality that once defined it, but would probably still be considered "physical".

As always, Rutgers issue was scoring. Even 2 years ago, a successful 14-5 in-conference, they were only 5th in scoring. Last year's disaster - next to last.

Reaction Score
ND is better than UNC. Texas & Iowa are better than UNC in my opinion.
NC was SC toughest game in the NCAA tournament. Iowa got beat by Creighton on their homecourt. SC smoked Creighton by 30. Going by the eye test and those results it would be hard for me to think Iowa is better than a UNC team that is adding top 20 recruits to what they already have.

Reaction Score
The other question is. If any of the teams mentioned make the FF. Who do they replace? My guess is if any team doesn't make the FF it will be Louisville.
I would be shocked if the final 4 does not include SC, UConn, and Stanford for the 3rd year straight. Tennesse on paper should be the fourth team but we don't know how Tennessee will mesh with all the new players they have. I will go with the ACC champion as the 4th team.

Reaction Score
NC was SC toughest game in the NCAA tournament. Iowa got beat by Creighton on their homecourt. SC smoked Creighton by 30. Going by the eye test and those results it would be hard for me to think Iowa is better than a UNC team that is adding top 20 recruits to what they already have.
Yeah. You may be right. UNC did get SC a time and a half. And you’re right about Iowa/Creighton. Texas may be a little bit down now compared to what they were due to Matharu leaving. I do like ND chances (if they stay healthy).

Reaction Score
What team or teams that didn't make the FF last year? Is most likely to make it this year.
I can think of a few teams.
Tennessee
Texas
NC State
Notre Dame
LSU
Any other teams?
I would be surprised if Texas or LSU makes final 4 this year. Both teams lost a lot of starters last year. Additionally Texas lost
What team or teams that didn't make the FF last year? Is most likely to make it this year.
I can think of a few teams.
Tennessee
Texas
NC State
Notre Dame
LSU
Any other teams?
i would be very surprised if either Texas or LSU makes final 4 this year. Both teams lost a lot of starters and Texas also lost top scorer off of bench. Both have some very good players coming in but they have never played with each other. Team chemistry is a big question as well as how well freshmen will play.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just to be fair, defense probably wasn't the problem. For each of the last 2 years, Rutgers had the lowest points against for in-conference games in the Big 10 (and probably other seasons as well, the stats just were not on the B1G website). While Vivian didn't coach this last season, I'm sure it was her defense being played.

To be fair, the defense lacked the physicality that once defined it, but would probably still be considered "physical".

As always, Rutgers issue was scoring. Even 2 years ago, a successful 14-5 in-conference, they were only 5th in scoring. Last year's disaster - next to last.
True, but Rutger’s emphasis was always on defense first. By mid year, the banging/bumping style of play caused injuries and the Scarlet Knights were usually too banged up to live up to their potential inthe post season.

I’m just saying that what works in the Big East or AAC may not work in a P5 conference with better athletes

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I would be shocked if the final 4 does not include SC, UConn, and Stanford for the 3rd year straight. Tennesse on paper should be the fourth team but we don't know how Tennessee will mesh with all the new players they have. I will go with the ACC champion as the 4th team.
I agree. Tennessee should make the FF. I think with the exception of Edie Darby a walk on and Jessie Rennie. That everyone else should get playing time. I can't wait to see Marta Suarez back on the court. Yes if the team does mesh I see them in the FF. Oh yeah I think the 1998 team had some new players come in. That worked out well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom