2/13

Kate Koval: 12 points, 8 rebs

2/12

Sahara Williams: 17 points, 8 rebs, 6 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks

2/11

Sahara Williams: 23 points, 6 reb, 4 steals

Reaction Score
UConn Women's Basketball

70% is "more than adequate"? So under 70% is adequate? UConn is currently shooting 68.5%. Williams is at 68.1%. If Williams was on the line for 3 ft's with .1 sec left and UConn down 2 would you be confidently lighting a victory cigar or asking your deity to intervene?
A different way to ask the question. "Is there anyone on UConn that the other team now looks at as an obvious player to foul?" After starting in the dumpster, ONO has greatly improved her % and lately Edwards has been consistent. Fudd has missed more than normal lately-unlikely that trend will continue. Not sure why Williams' % has gone down but have confidence she will improve. Bottom line, still not great, but moving in the right direction.

Reaction Score
A different way to ask the question. "Is there anyone on UConn that the other team now looks at as an obvious player to foul?" After starting in the dumpster, ONO has greatly improved her % and lately Edwards has been consistent. Fudd has missed more than normal lately-unlikely that trend will continue. Not sure why Williams' % has gone down but have confidence she will improve. Bottom line, still not great, but moving in the right direction.
I guess she has if normal is 100%. She's 9 for 10.

Reaction Score

I've started to call ONO "One-Otta-Two". I would not have either her or Williams on the court on offense in a situation where the other team is fouling. Sorry, but ONO must miss 65%+ of her first ft's. And Williams showed us already how to miss both ends under pressure. I'm more inclined to let Williams shoot than ONO. ONO's has that long slow lazy kind of stroke that always breaks down under stress.

I'd have Bueckers, Fudd & Ducharme do all the ball handling. And leaving ft's up to 2 freshmen and a sophomore isn't easy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Statistically, the best players to foul are Nika, Dorka, Liv, and Christyn. Here's a ranking as of today:

Azzi .900
Liya .842
Caroline .821
Paige .769
Evina .698
Christyn .681
Liv .667
Dorka .556
Piath .500
Amari .500
Nika .250

We are shooting .682. Our opponents are shooting .739. I'd want Azzi shooting FTs whenever possible.

Reaction Score
Of all sad words of tounge or pen the saddest are these - "It might have been". We continue to heap praise and pressure on groups of young women who, while excelling at the high school level, have never played anywhere near the enviornment they are destined to face in a major conference. There are young ladies who may have been "big fishes" in small ponds. And although many may be very talented at the high school level they are going to be facing ladies just as, if not more, talented than they are. I do not say this to diminish any player. Just saying that we have all seen our share of five star players who eventually morphed onto the bench.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Statistically, the best players to foul are Nika, Dorka, Liv, and Christyn. Here's a ranking as of today:

Azzi .900
Liya .842
Caroline .821
Paige .769
Evina .698
Christyn .681
Liv .667
Dorka .556
Piath .500
Amari .500
Nika .250

We are shooting .682. Our opponents are shooting .739. I'd want Azzi shooting FTs whenever possible.
That is a crazy stat for Nika. 1-4 over ~ 20 games.

Reaction Score
In her Marquette postgame radio spot, Chris Dailey said that coaches are focused on recruiting this week, in advance of their Friday tilt with Xavier.

I wonder who they will be evaluating?

Reaction Score
Of all sad words of tounge or pen the saddest are these - "It might have been". We continue to heap praise and pressure on groups of young women who, while excelling at the high school level, have never played anywhere near the enviornment they are destined to face in a major conference. There are young ladies who may have been "big fishes" in small ponds. And although many may be very talented at the high school level they are going to be facing ladies just as, if not more, talented than they are. I do not say this to diminish any player. Just saying that we have all seen our share of five star players who eventually morphed onto the bench.
Quite a wordsmith “Steelerone” !! John Greenleaf Whittier - one of my favorite quotes ! Perhaps because I reach for it WAY too often in my personal travails !!!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/14

Eve Fiala: 17 points

2/12

Keziah Lofton: 22 points, 13 rebs, 5 assists, 5 steals, 3 blocks

Reaction Score
How much of this is necessary evaluation and how much is "wooing" the player and her family? In either case please keep doing it. :)

Reaction Score
There are still some major unsigned prospects even for next year right?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
2024 is shaping up as a guard heavy class. I just scanned Prospect Nations list of 96 2024 players I saw 1 player at 6'4" and another 11 over 6'. I may have missed someone but, I am looking for the signing of a couple of bigs or players who play big in 2023. C, Cunningham, ADR, or even Vasconcelos and perhaps a strong wing like Booker

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
2/14

Eve Fiala: 17 points

2/12

Keziah Lofton: 22 points, 13 rebs, 5 assists, 5 steals, 3 blocks

2024 is shaping up as a guard heavy class. I just scanned Prospect Nations list of 96 2024 players I saw 1 player at 6'4" and another 11 over 6'. I may have missed someone but, I am looking for the signing of a couple of bigs or players who play big in 2023. C, Cunningham, ADR, or even Vasconcelos and perhaps a strong wing like Booker
IMO UCONN 2023 class is coming into focus in this order this:
PF/F: Toomey, Riley Stack, Olivia Anderson
SF/F: Booker, Chloe Kitts
Big Guard/SF: Mikaylah Williams, Sahara Williams, Judea Watkins
SG: Shade
PG: Arnold
P: Cunningham, De Rosario, Eve Fiala

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
3 for 11 on free throws. A perfect fit for our team. Sarcasm. But also frustration. I root so hard, scream at the TV when they miss. And what hurts is our best free throw shooters don't draw that many fouls. I guess it was a problem for Wilt the Stilt and you just have to learn to accept it. But it is so hard. So many semi final losses where one more made free throw might have made all the difference. How can someone shoot better from 3 than from the free throw line. Too much time to think?????
Most FT misses are off by less than an inch. The odds of making any one foul shot are 100% or zero. Although they practice for it, it’s kind of amazing players shoot over 70% because they usually shoot them after just running up and down the court. No chance for a warm up shot to get the range. The players who shoot at over 80% and have a large enough sample size are not all that common. Why some people are better able to repeat the shot with accuracy time after time, who knows because the college level players have been practicing foul shots for years. Probably why some touring golf pros hit more fairways than others even though they all practice a lot. Better at repeating the right technique.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In her Marquette postgame radio spot, Chris Dailey said that coaches are focused on recruiting this week, in advance of their Friday tilt with Xavier.

I wonder who they will be evaluating?

We need intel!! Time to activate the GPS locators on their luggage! :p

Will anyone be in Louisiana or Mississippi?

We know that Ayanna's career is over, but Arnold, Brady, and Shade are still playing, plus there is a slew (SLU?) of kids in 2023 and 2024. The staff should also deliver a late Valentine to Jenica Lewis.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Only about 5 of the top 25 in 2023 have committed.
7 of the top 25, per HG, and we have #5 (Shade) and #8 (Arnold). Arkansas, UNC, Stanford, UCLA, and Maryland have the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom