Reaction Score
IMO UCONN 2023 class is coming into focus in this order this:
PF/F: Toomey, Riley Stack, Olivia Anderson
SF/F: Booker, Chloe Kitts
Big Guard/SF: Mikaylah Williams, Sahara Williams, Judea Watkins
SG: Shade
PG: Arnold
P: Cunningham, De Rosario, Eve Fiala
The 4 that you bolded would be very good to build in versatility which I think will be very important considering how thin the '24 and '25 classes will be for big posts. Do you think there will be room for 5 in the '23 class? If so, just stockpile as much talent as possible with either Williams or Kitts. I'm good with any 4 of those 6. IMO, all of the others are probably going elsewhere.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
IMO UCONN 2023 class is coming into focus in this order this:
PF/F: Toomey, Riley Stack, Olivia Anderson
SF/F: Booker, Chloe Kitts
Big Guard/SF: Mikaylah Williams, Sahara Williams, Judea Watkins
SG: Shade
PG: Arnold
P: Cunningham, De Rosario, Eve Fiala

I think I have a greed problem. The 4 bold names would be fantastic and if it comes to pass, I still want Mikaylah :D

Reaction Score
Most FT misses are off by less than an inch. The odds of making any one foul shot are 100% or zero. Although they practice for it, it’s kind of amazing players shoot over 70% because they usually shoot them after just running up and down the court. No chance for a warm up shot to get the range. The players who shoot at over 80% and have a large enough sample size are not all that common. Why some people are better able to repeat the shot with accuracy time after time, who knows because the college level players have been practicing foul shots for years. Probably why some touring golf pros hit more fairways than others even though they all practice a lot. Better at repeating the right technique.
1st bolded, this is why many coaches have kids shoot 5 FTs at a time after running one up and down court sprint to simulate game conditions. And 2nd bolded, obviously practicing FTs with bad shooting mechanics, hand placement, and arc is wasting time. The best shooters have gotten good coaching at a very young age and through repetition become the 75%- 80% plus kids.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
1st bolded, this is why many coaches have kids shoot 5 FTs at a time after running one up and down court sprint to simulate game conditions. And 2nd bolded, obviously practicing FTs with bad shooting mechanics, hand placement, and arc is wasting time. The best shooters have gotten good coaching at a very young age and through repetition become the 75%- 80% plus kids.
They obviously practice at game conditions. Just some people are better at repeating the right mechanics consistently compared to other people without having to warm up or get the range. There are good 3 points shooters with perfect form who aren’t as good at the foul line as one might expect. The fact remains that each foul shot is it’s own little universe despite the shooter’s percentage. It’s either going in or it isn’t.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think I have a greed problem. The 4 bold names would be fantastic and if it comes to pass, I still want Mikaylah :D
i-dont-quite-see-the-problem-here-dont-understand.gif

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The 4 that you bolded would be very good to build in versatility which I think will be very important considering how thin the '24 and '25 classes will be for big posts. Do you think there will be room for 5 in the '23 class? If so, just stockpile as much talent as possible with either Williams or Kitts. I'm good with any 4 of those 6. IMO, all of the others are probably going elsewhere.
Yes the versatility will be key. I think the departures of both Mir and Saylor significantly increased the possibility of UCONN adding 5 in the class of '23.

Reaction Score
I do too, but think one of the two between Booker and Williams is all we can realistically hope for. I would rather have Williams of course but suspect we are further down the path to getting a commitment from Booker. If we get C I could see her playing some at the 3 and Williams appears to be comfortable as a 2 or 3, but if they miss on both of those then getting Booker becomes far more important.

For now I think the backup 2/3 next year is likely to be a one year senior/grad transfer. The year after Shade enters the mix and even though she would be undersized as a 3, she seems strong and tough enough to succeed there in addition to the 2. The more we can get the better though.

sun

Reaction Score
Apparently Morgan Valley went to see this girl recently. Class of 2024 and she's putting up some amazing numbers:

This video was posted Feb. 9, 2022

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I believe Geno is watching Ciera Toomey tonight.

He didn't see much. She barely played as the competition was, uh, over-matched. Dunmore led 41-2 at the half and it wasn't that close.

Toomey ended up with 9 points. She had 6 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 blocks and a couple of steals by the half and I quit taking notes thereafter.

You can watch here:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/15

Aaliyah Chavez: 21 points, 9 rebounds, 7 assists in 3 quarters of her first playoff game

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Coach Williams smiles when she remembers just when the work started to show dividends.

“At one point, Mikaylah came to me and said, ‘I can shoot now.’”

Working on her shooting wasn’t the only area where Williams put in endless hours. According to her coach, the junior’s biggest improvement has been on defense.

And that was reiterated by Laflin: “What makes Williams so complete is that she is also a lockdown defender. Her effort and focus both on and off the ball set her apart from her peers and has her more college-ready than anyone in her class. Her strength and nose for the ball allow her to rebound against the bigs and start the break instantly.”

“She’s a history maker,” Coach Williams said of Mikaylah, who finished this regular season averaging 22.6 points per game and is the nation’s top-ranked recruit in the Class of 2023.

“She’s a top-notch kid all around. She boosts the other players and makes them better. But there is no ego. That’s tough to find in an elite player.”

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Coach Williams smiles when she remembers just when the work started to show dividends.

“At one point, Mikaylah came to me and said, ‘I can shoot now.’”

Working on her shooting wasn’t the only area where Williams put in endless hours. According to her coach, the junior’s biggest improvement has been on defense.

And that was reiterated by Laflin: “What makes Williams so complete is that she is also a lockdown defender. Her effort and focus both on and off the ball set her apart from her peers and has her more college-ready than anyone in her class. Her strength and nose for the ball allow her to rebound against the bigs and start the break instantly.”

“She’s a history maker,” Coach Williams said of Mikaylah, who finished this regular season averaging 22.6 points per game and is the nation’s top-ranked recruit in the Class of 2023.

“She’s a top-notch kid all around. She boosts the other players and makes them better. But there is no ego. That’s tough to find in an elite player.”

I hope Ayanna, her 3 x 3 teammate is in touch with her regularly!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
^^ I didn't put Arnold's name twice in the post. Why it shows up like that I have no idea.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Your comment about practicing correctly is so on point. It is not the amount of time spent practicing it is spending that time correctly.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
He didn't see much. She barely played as the competition was, uh, over-matched. Dunmore led 41-2 at the half and it wasn't that close.

Toomey ended up with 9 points. She had 6 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 blocks and a couple of steals by the half and I quit taking notes thereafter.

You can watch here:

Making sure CT was lively from the bench.

Reaction Score

On Jasmine Davidson, a 6-1 W/F from Oregon:

Defensively, she is well beyond her peers in her instincts, positioning off the ball and on-ball prowess. It is evident that she has been in the gym with some very good teachers of the game. Her recruitment includes Stanford, Oregon, Washington State, UConn, Louisville, Oregon State, Gonzaga, Arizona State, UCLA, Cal and Utah.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
2/15

KK Arnold Arnold: 29 points (12-19 FG, 2-4 3-PT, 3-4 FT), 7 assists, 3 steals; had 24 points at the half

KK was 3-4 on FTs. That's close to her norm. The 3-11 game was a total anomaly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom