February Recruiting Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

February Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if, with NIL, the rules about what kinds of contracts foreign players can have and still qualify for NCAA competition have changed? I remember folks talking about specifics of what international players could make playing professionally when Anna Makurat signed. Because, if the rules haven't changed, do we know if her contract is one that would leave Jocyte eligible?
Actually under the current NIL rules foreign players are not allowed to earn because of the type of US Visa restricts it. The US government would simply need to issue a different type of visa for the foreing players to capitalize on NIL
To the best of my knowledge the NCAA rules which allow foreign players to earn a minimum (~ room, travel board,& food) and still retain their NCAA eligibility is still in place. Anna Makurat utilized these rules prior to coming to UCONN. @awhom111 is our source for all things International and when I asked this same question more than a year ago regarding Jocyte I thought the answer was that her compensation for playing was at or below the level which would allow her to retain her NCAA eligibility.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Actually under the current NIL rules foreign players are not allowed to earn because of the type of US Visa restricts it. The US government would simply need to issue a different type of visa for the foreing players to capitalize on NIL
To the best of my knowledge the NCAA rules which allow foreign players to earn a minimum (~ room, travel board,& food) and still retain their NCAA eligibility is still in place. Anna Makurat utilized these rules prior to coming to UCONN. @awhom111 is our source for all things International and when I asked this same question more than a year ago regarding Jocyte I thought the answer was that her compensation for playing was at or below the level which would allow her to retain her NCAA eligibility.
I know they can't earn NIL money here, but I was wondering since high school students (depending on state laws) can now earn NIL money, if that changed what international prospects were allowed to make/receive and still be NCAA eligible. Hopefully awhom111 knows more!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Top 30 Shooting Guards in California:

Chloe Briggs – Ontario Christian – JR.

Even if the 4-star guard were to suddenly quit basketball tomorrow, her high school career would already be one for the books. The Knights are 79-10 in Briggs’ three seasons with them, and her career averages of 29.2 points, 11.7 rebounds, 7.5 assists, 3.8 steals, and 1.4 blocks per game tell you everything else you need to know. And she’s efficient too – despite the massive load she’s carried, she’s shot 52% from two and 35% from three on her career with a staggering 287 made threes, and touts a career assists-turnover ratio of 2.88. Last season, she led Ontario Christian to the CIFSS 3AA finals, and even though they just barely came up short, she was still named the division’s player of the year.

After averaging over 33 PPG as a freshman and nearly 30 as a sophomore, Briggs has taken a step back scoring the ball as a junior in order to dime up the most talented group of teammates she’s had. And by a step back, we mean she’s “only” scoring 21.6 points per game while shooting career-highs of 36% 3FG and 53% EFG, while averaging one of the highest marks in the country with 9.2 APG. Briggs would need to go crazy on the assists for a prolonged playoff run to average a triple-double on the season, but this is one of the most Westbrook-ian individual seasons you’ll see at the high school level.

Tajianna Roberts – La Jolla Country Day – SO.

A long, athletic 4-star SG, Roberts is second on LJCD in PPG (14.5), APG (3.7), SPG (2.1), and BPG (0.5), and third on the team with 4.1 RPG. She shoots 54% from two and 80% from the line, and is a more dangerous perimeter shooter than 32% from three would indicate. Roberts is already one of the more well-rounded wings in California as a sophomore, and is likely to develop into one of the very best players in the state with more consistency from range and more go-to moves on offense.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Top 30 Small Forwards in California

Juju Watkins – Sierra Canyon – JR.

Ranked by many as the top recruit in the Class of 2023, Watkins averaged 24.9 points, 11.4 rebounds, 2.3 steals, and 1.5 blocks per game last season at Windward after leading the Wildcats to the CIFSS Open Division finals as a freshman. Now as a junior and as a senior, she has the opportunity to pursue a national title run at Sierra Canyon, which is currently 23-1 and widely considered a top-10 team in the country. At 6-1 with elite athleticism and ability to finish at the rim, and handles that would make many top-tier point guards jealous, it’s not hard to see why Watkins is talked about as a generational prospect looking ahead to the next levels.

Morgan Cheli – Archbishop Mitty – SO.

While not a ton of people outside of NorCal are aware of it yet, those who know Cheli’s game know she’s likely to be one of the bigger names in the 2024 class sooner than later. The 6-2 point forward/combo guard leads the CIFCCS juggernaut with 15.6 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 3.6 steals per game to go with 3.3 APG, and shoots 49% from the field, 53% from two, and 39% from three. While her best mold as a prospect is likely as a playmaking wing, she could be a legitimate point guard prospect at 6-2 at higher levels. Cheli already has at least one Power-5 offer coming from Cal.

Jordan Lee – St. Mary’s (Stockton) – SO.

At upwards of six feet tall with point guard skills and a handful of offers from elite D-1 programs, Lee is one of top 2024 SFs in the country. The 4-star playmaking wing is ranked inside the top 20 in her class and top five at her position. She’s averaging 17.3 points, 7.4 rebounds, 2.4 assists, and 2.3 steals per game.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/11

Dunmore's game was such a mismatch that they took Toomey out down 2-0 a few minutes in. Toomey ended up playing just the first half:

21 points ( 9-9 FG, 2-2 3-PT, 1-1 FT), 1 rebound, 3 assists, 3 steals, 1 block

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/11

UCONN POI Keeley Parks ('24) made her return from a torn ACL Friday.

Reaction Score
Lots of highlights from Olivia Olson's game Friday (2/11) including her winning shot.

1) Around the 6 minute mark of the video, how did you like the around the back reverse layup Olson pulls off in a close game? 2) If I'm UConn I'd have #30 the freshman McGee from BSM on my mailing list. Gonna be real good.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1) Around the 6 minute mark of the video, how did you like the around the back reverse layup Olson pulls off in a close game? 2) If I'm UConn I'd have #30 the freshman McGee from BSM on my mailing list. Gonna be real good.

McGee is one to watch. I mentioned that when Geno visited a few months ago.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Lots of highlights from Olivia Olson's game Friday (2/11) including her winning shot.

Oh my...go to the 5:50 (or so) mark and check out the around the back move to a reverse scoop lay-in. For an ND fan, it's kind of Sonia Citron inspired by 'Liv Miles. (She'd fit right in ;)). I know these are highlights, but level of ball here is pretty darn high.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I owe you an OJ for that comment....you must've hit play about a minute before me.

Reaction Score
Oh my...go to the 5:50 (or so) mark and check out the around the back move to a reverse scoop lay-in. For an ND fan, it's kind of Sonia Citron inspired by 'Liv Miles. (She'd fit right in ;)). I know these are highlights, but level of ball here is pretty darn high.
Yeah, pulling that off in traffic in a close game shows a total lack of confidence. :eek:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
O is not the same skinny all arms and legs she was 2 years ago when I started watching her play. Olivia is developing a college ready frame to go along with all that BB I.Q. It's no wonder that "C" and "O" are my top two picks for the Huskies in the next 2 years. Please Santa we've all been good boys and girls, you know what to do. We're waiting, almost patiently, don't disappoint.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
O is not the same skinny all arms and legs she was 2 years ago when I started watching her play. Olivia is developing a college ready frame to go along with all that BB I.Q. It's no wonder that "C" and "O" are my top two picks for the Huskies in the next 2 years. Please Santa we've all been good boys and girls, you know what to do. We're waiting, almost patiently, don't disappoint.
Good boys and girls? You must not have been reading the Chat. If Santa has been reading it there is no way UConn will get either one of them.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Patterson fouls out early 4th. shade‘s team up over 20. There is another game <final. Today according to annoucers

Reaction Score
Patterson fouls out early 4th. shade‘s team up over 20. There is another game <final. Today according to annoucers
I was watching. Did I hear it wrong? Noblesville will play the winner of another game TONIGHT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom