February Recruiting Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

February Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I recall Diana Taurasi's Mom preference for her daughter to attend UCLA over UConn... the 2 finalists.
But her dad bonded with Geno during his house visit when they spoke Italian talking about their shared immigrant experience. Diana mentioned this in retrospective interview.

Reaction Score

Re: previous thread discussion about talent mismatch in Noblesville favor:

CT Insider Jan 25th article cited that Ayanna Patterson’s Homestead H.S. currently ranked #1 in Indiana coaches poll. Also from that piece: “Homestead’s only loss this season was to Noblesville on Nov. 20 at home, 69-48. The teams could meet again in the postseason. Homestead won the previous five matchups, including a regional quarterfinal game in overtime last season.”

JWS Feb 7th article ranks Homestead #22 nationally out of 25 high schools listed. Noblesville did not make the list.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Re: previous thread discussion about talent mismatch in Noblesville favor:

CT Insider Jan 25th article cited that Ayanna Patterson’s Homestead H.S. currently ranked #1 in Indiana coaches poll. Also from that piece: “Homestead’s only loss this season was to Noblesville on Nov. 20 at home, 69-48. The teams could meet again in the postseason. Homestead won the previous five matchups, including a regional quarterfinal game in overtime last season.”

JWS Feb 7th article ranks Homestead #22 nationally out of 25 high schools listed. Noblesville did not make the list.
Looking forward to this!!!! Hoping for a tight good game where both shine!!!!!!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
What about Booker? Do you think she'll leave the south?

I have no idea where she might go. She strikes me as a UConn-type player and UConn's had success in places like Georgia and Arkansas so the south shouldn't be out of the question.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/10

('27) Lauren Hassell: 15 points (7-9 FG), 8 rebs, 4 assists, 3 blocks, 2 steals in 11 minutes

2/5

Kennedy Smith: 20 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Booker's game from a few days ago. She's got a chance to be a monster on defense. She handles well for a player her size though she does a bit too much razzle/dazzle with the ball at times. Didn't get to see the post-up game here. She was 9-19 from the field, 3-8 from three, but three misses were rushed end-of-quarter shots.

Booker is #35 in maroon.

Reaction Score
Booker's game from a few days ago. She's got a chance to be a monster on defense. She handles well for a player her size though she does a bit too much razzle/dazzle with the ball at times. Didn't get to see the post-up game here. She was 9-19 from the field, 3-8 from three, but three misses were rushed end-of-quarter shots.

Booker is #35 in maroon.

She's a long 6'1.. Smooth shot.. Sturdy build..

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Coco: regarding Jocyte...I know there seems to be a somewhat limited chance that she will come to the
USA to play in college but: I do wonder if NIL opportunities might give her a bit of a push across the pond.
If she sees the chance to shine in a high profile program...for example... a la Paige and Azzi... just to pick a couple of names out of a hat...and get the benefits of NIL...might that sway things our way?

Is she considered in some legal 'NCAA way' a member of the class of 2023?

Hmmm...we have verbals from KK and Ashlynn...we got room for a player who some surmise is the best of her age in the world. Geno and Europe have proved to be a good combo....fingers crossed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco: regarding Jocyte...I know there seems to be a somewhat limited chance that she will come to the
USA to play in college but: I do wonder if NIL opportunities might give her a bit of a push across the pond.
If she sees the chance to shine in a high profile program...for example... a la Paige and Azzi... just to pick a couple of names out of a hat...and get the benefits of NIL...might that sway things our way?

Hmmm...we have verbals from KK and Ashlynn...we got room for a player who some surmise is the best of her age in the world. Geno and Europe have proved to be a good combo....fingers crossed.
I actually had not though about the NIL angle with regards to Jocyte but you bring up a good point. Jocyte is already a MAJOR box office at 16 years old and would be more so if she decided to come state side.

As far as her NCAA "legal" designation for class of '23 I honestly don't know. As @MilfordHusky already point out she might be anywhere from class of '23-'25.

img_4085-11-1_lg.jpg

Reaction Score
I actually had not though about the NIL angle with regards to Jocyte but you bring up a good point. Jocyte is already a MAJOR box office at 16 years old and would be more so if she decided to come state side.

As far as her NCAA "legal" designation for class of '23 I honestly don't know. As @MilfordHusky already point out she might be anywhere from class of '23-'25.

img_4085-11-1_lg.jpg
Can you get on the phone with your European contacts and let them know how lucrative this could be for JJ?

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

Strange, as a foreign player with U.S. citizenship I guess she would be eligible for NIL benefits. Hard to believe she would take a step back to play college ball, I think that by this time there would be some kind of feelers out if she were interested.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I simply do not know the strength of her league...not at all sure playing at an elite college program is a step back.

Reaction Score

Booker is #35 in maroon.

It's been awhile since I saw her play. Similar lack of competition to Toomey's. Almost had forgotten how quick, smooth, skilled, and instinctive she is. Just a real natural talent and the better the comp, the better she'll play. A couple rough edges that Auriemma's court discipline will smooth out. And you're right, her defensive quickness is nice.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I simply do not know the strength of her league...not at all sure playing at an elite college program is a step back.
A couple of data points. Her numbers: PPPG 2.9 RPG 1.7 & AST1.9
on current team (Lyon) are rather pedestrian but keep in mind she is only 16.

On that same Lyon team is Cierra Burdick who is 28 and had a decent NCAA career playing for the Lady Vols. This is the same Cierra Burdick of "hands down fame" and the same one who the Orange tin foil brigade ridiculously dubbed a Maya Moore level talent. It all depends how you look at it. Is playing against grown women ( and getting paid for it) on a daily basis and putting up low numbers better that coming to UCONN where IMO she would definitely a day 1 starter and putting up numbers better than Caroline or Christyn? It's a close call that I can't actually make with just my brain because I'm such a UCONN homer.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if, with NIL, the rules about what kinds of contracts foreign players can have and still qualify for NCAA competition have changed? I remember folks talking about specifics of what international players could make playing professionally when Anna Makurat signed.

Because, if the rules haven't changed, do we know if her contract is one that would leave Jocyte eligible?

Reaction Score
All good points. And regarding #4 DeBerry was able to develop and use that smooth shot at her own somewhat relaxed pace throughout HS. 6-5 kids get very little challenge on shots outside the paint or even inside. Now with bigger, quicker posts in her face she’s having a problem having to speed up the whole decision making and shooting process. And this applies to her whole game, she’s a couple beats slow and is trying to rush to compensate and it’s obviously not happening in practice or she’d probably be getting at least limited PT. Auriemma doesn’t just sit 6-5 kids that can really play. This will be her major adjustment to make going forward through the summer or she’ll continue to sit.
Have mentioned this previously but feel the lack of blow outs has hurt DeBerry the most. In the beginning of the year, Geno gave her about 3-4 minutes a game and I suspect that amount of playing time would have gone up with the normal amount of 25-30 point UConn wins. As we all know, this has not been a normal year so DeBerry has not been able to show her stuff and gain confidence outside of practice, which in turn has been a challenge due to lack of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom