February Recruiting Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

February Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Who cares about her mom's top 8.

I'm reminded of a picture several years ago with Bueckers and about every other top recruit at a N Dame football game wearing gear and smiling. I think we lost a dozen posters that day to heart attack/stroke. :)
I hear what you are saying and agree with you.
This wasn't mom's top 8 though, it was Cierra's top 8.
1644362848932.png

Reaction Score
1) What you may not have read about Jocyte is that she is American born and as things stand right now she is not WNBA eligible until she turns 22 which will not be until 2027. She is already an elite talent and the chances of her playing college basketball are very slim. But let's keep hope alive that she wants to play college ball and suit up as a UCONN Husky.
2) Again it all depends on how you envision the players being utilized. Between Booker, Kitts, Jocyte and Toomey there is a maximum height difference of 1.5 inches=not significant. Among the players Kitts has a slighter build but I'm not too concerned. Within the UCONN offensive any of the 4 players could be a devastating wing (KLS) featured forward (Maya, Stewie, Napheesa, Caroline lately ) or primary offensive facilitator (Gabby Williams) because all 4 have exceptional ball handling, passing and shooting skills.
3) The key part of this sentence "as they develop". Caroline, Ice, Ayanna and even Amari will bring adequate shooting to the front court. However, IMO they will not develop to the point of having the overall combination of ball handling, passing and shooting skills to be a featured forward primary facilitator that these 4 players have the potential to provide.
4) Amari does have a nice stroke. I've seen it up close at an AAU practice before. That stroke is not what is going to determine Amari's future at UCONN. The key to her development is to understand that there is a pace and quickness of execution that she must achieve and maintain to be successful at UCONN. Amari briefly achieve that pace and quickness of execution in the Georgia Tech game. I though that was going to be a spring board- it wasn't. I'm looking forward to Amari getting back to that place. Practice is a great place for her to start but I really don't care how pretty her shot is in practice she needs to be making more of her shot in the game=she currently 2 of 15 (13%).
All good points. And regarding #4 DeBerry was able to develop and use that smooth shot at her own somewhat relaxed pace throughout HS. 6-5 kids get very little challenge on shots outside the paint or even inside. Now with bigger, quicker posts in her face she’s having a problem having to speed up the whole decision making and shooting process. And this applies to her whole game, she’s a couple beats slow and is trying to rush to compensate and it’s obviously not happening in practice or she’d probably be getting at least limited PT. Auriemma doesn’t just sit 6-5 kids that can really play. This will be her major adjustment to make going forward through the summer or she’ll continue to sit.

Reaction Score
There are three very good alternatives Chloe Kitts, Justus Jocyte and Madison Booker. Prospects nation actually has Kitts ranked higher than Toomey and she is the same size. Before you start talking about alternatives and is that we need to come to grips with a projected position for Toomey. Toomey is being tracked by both ESPN and Prospects Nation as a post player. I don't envision Toomey as pure college post. I envision her as a big guard and a stretch 4 in the mold of KLS/Ann Strother and Stewie -with the ability to play all over the floor and occasionally going into the post. C envisions herself this same way as she indicated in her last video posted here ( google: getting to know Cierra Toomey). This does not make @Cuango answers of Cunningham, Del Rosario, Vasconcelos wrong because that answer would lead me to believe that he views C as being a post. BTW I don't envision Vasconcelos as a UCONN level talent and I have not read or seen anything in performance that would make me change my mind.
I was in no way comparing skill levels, merely pointing out the three highest ranked posts after C. I think of the three Cunningham is really good while the others might be more hit or miss. Vasconcelos especially I don’t know much about while DelRosario was highly praised but has perhaps slipped a little. I’m thinking C and/or Cunningham. If neither comes, we wait for “24 or perhaps find a strong transfer. Who knows though, Geno may surprise us. After all, there are diamonds in the rough out there.

Reaction Score
I was in no way comparing skill levels, merely pointing out the three highest ranked posts after C. I think of the three Cunningham is really good while the others might be more hit or miss. Vasconcelos especially I don’t know much about while DelRosario was highly praised but has perhaps slipped a little. I’m thinking C and/or Cunningham. If neither comes, we wait for “24 or perhaps find a strong transfer. Who knows though, Geno may surprise us. After all, there are diamonds in the rough out there.
I wouldn’t anticipate Cunningham, Oregon and UCLA each have one of her former HS teammates and I think she’ll be staying out west. And I have doubts that Del Rosario has the skills or athleticism needed to play at UConn’s level. But we’ll see.

Reaction Score
I don't see any better big options than Toomey and I agree with Coco in that she's clearly a stretch 4 rather than a post player but the way we use ONO is setting picks at the top of the key a lot and using her as a passer, I can see Ice or Toomey as our post but Toomey as more of a 4. i keep saying it but I really like Jadyn Donovan, a very athletic 3 or 4 who is scoring 16.7 points per game and over 8 rebounds per game in about 15 minutes of PT. She's scoring over a point a minute played and a rebound for every 2 minutes played. She's a junior and would be in the same class as Toomey. Not as big but a terrific athlete who can run, defend, rebound and score.

Reaction Score
3) The key part of this sentence "as they develop". Caroline, Ice, Ayanna and even Amari will bring adequate shooting to the front court. However, IMO they will not develop to the point of having the overall combination of ball handling, passing and shooting skills to be a featured forward primary facilitator that these 4 players have the potential to provide.
Fair point, but based on their HS tape, both Ice & Amari are good passers & shooters from the high post; Ice also has good handles for a big. Ayanna has the handle & shooting form to be an effective spacing big, but her passing is unproven.
4) Amari does have a nice stroke… That stroke is not what is going to determine Amari's future at UCONN. The key to her development is to understand that there is a pace and quickness of execution that she must achieve and maintain to be successful at UCONN… I really don't care how pretty her shot is in practice she needs to be making more of her shot in the game.
… I would add significantly improved strength/fitness, greater focus, & a more physical, aggressive mindset to initiate/absorb body contact. All should come over time. Not unusual for young college bigs to struggle with major D1 adjustment. I recall Liv being being resistant to contact early in her UConn tenure, though she was in better shape. Same with Azura Stevens, who is the better Amari comp as a finesse-oriented, stretch-capable post.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There are three very good alternatives Chloe Kitts, Justus Jocyte and Madison Booker. Prospects nation actually has Kitts ranked higher than Toomey and she is the same size. Before you start talking about alternatives and is that we need to come to grips with a projected position for Toomey. Toomey is being tracked by both ESPN and Prospects Nation as a post player. I don't envision Toomey as pure college post. I envision her as a big guard and a stretch 4 in the mold of KLS/Ann Strother and Stewie -with the ability to play all over the floor and occasionally going into the post. C envisions herself this same way as she indicated in her last video posted here ( google: getting to know Cierra Toomey). This does not make @Cuango answers of Cunningham, Del Rosario, Vasconcelos wrong because that answer would lead me to believe that he views C as being a post. BTW I don't envision Vasconcelos as a UCONN level talent and I have not read or seen anything in performance that would make me change my mind.

Juste Jocyte just turned 16 in November. It's not clear to me that she is class of 2023. She seems more like 2024 or even 2025 based on her birthdate and Europeans completing secondary school at age 19. Regardless of class, she would be a major get. Some folks think she is the best player in the world at her age. Clearly, she's on the short list for that. She has been playing against pros since she was 13. She also has American citizenship. And she's a lefty.

That said, I really, really want C! She is the closest player to Stewie that I have seen. She has a similar body, size, and length and many of the same skills. She's a matchup nightmare. She looks good in Carolina Blue, but much better in National Flag Blue. Fingers crossed!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Juste Jocyte just turned 16 in November. It's not clear to me that she is class of 2023. She seems more like 2024 or even 2025 based on her birthdate and Europeans completing secondary school at age 19. Regardless of class, she would be a major get. Some folks think she is the best player in the world at her age. Clearly, she's on the short list for that. She has been playing against pros since she was 13. She also has American citizenship. And she's a lefty.
That said, I really, really want C! She is the closest player to Stewie that I have seen. She has a similar body, size, and length and many of the same skills. She's a matchup nightmare. She looks good in Carolina Blue, but much better in National Flag Blue. Fingers crossed!
You may be correct because Hana Muhl (Nika's sister) is enrolling at Illinois this summer and she will be 19 years when she arrives on campus. Jocyte's FIBA profile list her DoB as 19 Nov 2005 so while you are correct that she just turned 16 she would actually be only a few months short of her 18th Birthday were she to enter UCONN in the August of 2023. I'm not sure what the rational is but
Premier basketball list Jocyte as class of 23 although the have other 2005 born kids listed as '24.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The five-star recruit, per ESPN, has recorded more than 1,000 rebounds in her high school career, and last Friday she put on a show in the Spartans’ 62-51 win over Columbia with 35 points, 14 rebounds and six blocks. The following night, in Homestead’s 87-55 win over South Side to clinch the Class 4A-6 sectional championship, Patterson poured in 32 points to go along with 14 rebounds.

The pair of superlative performances helped Patterson earn JWS Player of the Week honors.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
The five-star recruit, per ESPN, has recorded more than 1,000 rebounds in her high school career, and last Friday she put on a show in the Spartans’ 62-51 win over Columbia with 35 points, 14 rebounds and six blocks. The following night, in Homestead’s 87-55 win over South Side to clinch the Class 4A-6 sectional championship, Patterson poured in 32 points to go along with 14 rebounds.

The pair of superlative performances helped Patterson earn JWS Player of the Week honors.

Sky's the limit for AP, literally

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sounds like a high school version of Aneesah Morrow.

Actually, I think there are big differences in the two, all in my opinion of course.

Morrow's kind of a power forward where as Strong's really a point forward with interior abilities. Morrow is all effort and physicality whereas Strong is more finesse and skill. Morrow has a much better motor at the moment.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I recall Diana Taurasi's Mom preference for her daughter to attend UCLA over UConn...the
2 finalists. On a visit to Storrs she complained it was so dark there. Being Geno he looked outside and said something along the lines of 'of course it's dark...it's nighttime!'. Dee's choice seemed to work out well for her...LA's glitter got trumped by what UConn could help Dee accomplish,

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Full line:

34 points (10-19 FG, 2-5 3-PT, 6-8 FT), 26 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks

I knew this didn't look right. That line suggests Strong scored 28 points, not 34, so someone messed up somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom