February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 19 | The Boneyard

February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
If you can't watch a replay of the whole Hopkins game then skip to the second half. And if that's too much watch the last 5 minutes. She does a shake and bake, freezing 2 defenders, drives around them and makes a magical no look pass to a team mate for an easy 2. It was so good she did a dance going back on defense.

Go to 1:18:00 into the video. The play comes a little after that point.

I noticed that they had to open up more bleacher sections to handle the crowd.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2/21

Talia Von Oelhoffen: 36 points (11-21 FG, 10-13 FT)
Awesome offense player that UConn needs but we lost our 27 Recruiter whom is not connecting with her and Shea Ralph at 46 does not go out as she has a family.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Awesome offense player that UConn needs but we lost our 27 Recruiter whom is not connecting with her and Shea Ralph at 46 does not go out as she has a family.

Seeing as how she has UConn on her final list of five, not sure how much more recruiting is necessary. She just has to choose now.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I went out tonight to watch Saylor Poffenbarger for the second time this season and confirmed my initial impressions. I had the pleasure of chatting with Road Warrior during the game, so I didn't tally detailed stats tonight. I would love for him to add his thoughts.

Middletown won by 74-37 over Governor Thomas Johnson. I believe this was their last regular season game. They are 16-0 in conference and 20-1 overall (the only loss was to Frederick by a tally of 56-51 at the start of the season).

I did not keep detailed stats tonight. Saylor played all of the first half and about 7-8 minutes in the second half. I'm just guessing at her stats, but in 23 minutes, she had something like:

24 points

12 rebounds

8 assists

8 steals

5 blocks

She truly is versatility personified. She plays center on defense and both point guard and stretch power forward on offense. She appears to be a legit 6'2". Here are a some plays:

She won the opening tip.

She ripped down a defensive rebound in traffic and threw a 40' pass for a layup.

She grabbed a defensive rebound and went full court through the defense for a layup.

She cut into the paint, received the ball, and redirected it via a touch pass to a teammate for a hoop.

She trapped an opposing player in the backcourt, tipped the attempted pass, and gave her teammate an uncontested layup--a few times.

She blocked an opponent's shot with a loud "thwack."

She cut into the lane, received a pass, and, despite seeming to be too deep under the basket, was able to corral the pass and shoot it in the same motion for a hoop. She did this at least twice.

She intercepted passes and started the fast break--several times.

On the first 2 defensive possessions, she stole the ball from the opposing player off the dribble.

She made several no-look passes for assists.

Saylor's shot was off tonight--0-4 from the arc including a 30-footer at the end of a quarter and an airball. But she made about 9 layups in 10 attempts.

Saylor seems to have quick hands, more so than I noticed the first time I saw her. She also has strong hands and rebounds well in a crowd.

Mir is explosive and flashy, while Saylor is smooth. She also is everywhere on the court. Her court sense is next level, a lot like Paige. As a reminder, Saylor is still only 16 years old.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Lots of Paige from Friday here though her best play from late in the game is not:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/21

Amari DeBerry: 8 points, 7 rebounds, 4 blocks, 3 steals, fouled out

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
24 points

12 rebounds

8 assists

8 steals

5 blocks

Back to the discrepancy issue. Saylor's local paper has her with these stats:

18 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, and 8 steals

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Back to the discrepancy issue. Saylor's local paper has her with these stats:

18 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, and 8 steals
Oh, I defer to the local paper. I was just guessing. She was a couple of thefts short of a quadruple-double. In about 23 minutes.

Reaction Score
Oh, I defer to the local paper. I was just guessing. She was a couple of thefts short of a quadruple-double. In about 23 minutes.
These clips during year of this league show it is not strong. No defense and everyone drives to basket or shoots three. Saylor will need to make 15 foot shoots consistently around key and again stay quick guards or small forwards of Top teams. She loves 30 foot shot like all kids. Reminds me of larger Molly which is fine.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I like Oelhoffen but I’d disagree that UCONN “needs” her.
Are you trying to tell us that Jasmine was connecting with her but Shea cannot or has not?
Cannot would be kind of problematic because Shea is going to be her position coach if she chose to come to UCONN. The entire coaching staff has families which has never got in the way of coaching/ recruiting duties. Not fair to single out Shea in this way.

Reaction Score
These clips during year of this league show it is not strong. No defense and everyone drives to basket or shoots three. Saylor will need to make 15 foot shoots consistently around key and again stay quick guards or small forwards of Top teams. She loves 30 foot shot like all kids. Reminds me of larger Molly which is fine.
Had the opportunity to see Saylor Poffenbarger with MilfordHusky last evening. He captured many of the observations I had but here are a few more.

• She has a very high Basketball IQ.
  • She sees the entire floor very well and is able to deliver passes to her teammates in rhythm at the right moment before the defense can react or recover.
  • She accelerates strong to the rim and can finish in traffic.
  • She is very polished for her age and strong fundamentally.
  • The offense runs through her and she facilitates it well.
  • [For those of you that find this important]. She rivals Kyla Irwin as a cheerleader when on the bench.
From a UCONN standpoint, I think that she will be excellent in a read and react offense. She is an adept passer and moves exceptionally well without the basket. She does not waste energy dibbling excessively. She has good strength now and from what I understand works with a personal trainer and will continue to do so. Last night, her outside shot was off. To paraphrase Geno, she was 0 for Maryland beyond the arc. Kevinmac, from an athletic standpoint there is little to compare with Molly. She is already more skilled, confident and polished.

I am interested in seeing her play with better players. Unlike Paige, who has other D1 prospects on her team, Saylor, like Azzi and Mir, do not.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/21

Paige's most amazing move of the night though even here a couple seconds at the beginning are missing:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom