February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
Trying to figure out why Iriafen isn't ranked top-10 everywhere. She's pretty special.
FWIW, in the 2021 class Prep Girls Hoops Calif. as of July has her rated #1 ahead of Demetre and Marshall. Maybe her AAU coach isn't buddies with any of the website gurus from the east and midwest.

Reaction Score
Outside of being enormously skilled and efficient, passing, rebounding, defending, and covering the whole court, not sure what Iriafen does well. She's a three-point shot away from having everything.

She finished with 30 points on 13-16 shooting, 4-4 from the foul line, 6 rebounds, 3 assists.
That's my girl. ;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Nice video find. As I see with a lot of HS posts it's hard to judge her offensive potential in college when her huge size advantage makes it so easy to score when she gets the ball down low.

She wasn't simply towering over people though. She was hitting short jumpers, using the glass like Tim Duncan--kinda reminds me of a female Duncan--and finishing plays with little space to operate.

Reaction Score
A UCLA style 2-2-1 three-quarter court zone press with Aubrey and Mir on top and Liv in the back protecting the rim. If Edwards is in the mix, it will be the best rebounding squad in the country, eh?

But not one you'd want to use. A very poor a very awful offensive lineup.

Reaction Score
She wasn't simply towering over people though. She was hitting short jumpers, using the glass like Tim Duncan--kinda reminds me of a female Duncan--and finishing plays with little space to operate.

I'm not saying one way or another but a lot of posts scored easily in HS and got those shots either blocked or slapped out of their hands in college. I'm continually surprised by how many of ONO's shots get blocked. I did see Iriafen use her left hand nicely but didn't watch even half the game so I'll take your word. Nothing against her but she looks like another slender post ala ONO/DeBerry. I'm waiting for a Brown/Cox/Boston/Dolson type who can create their own space, set wide screens and deny others of that type from backing them down like Shaq. And yeah, I'm greedy. ;)

Reaction Score
One of Kiki Iriafen's turnaround jumpers off the window:

I froze this at the point where she was releasing that shot. She used her right hand when if she used her left she could have used her right to screen the defender. But it didn't matter there because although she only rose about 8-10 inches off the court her waist was even with her defender's shoulders. That shot would have been blocked by an elite post in college.
But I do like how she moves and uses her feet.

In an aside, from their logo I would guess that Huntington Beach teams are the Oilers. I wonder how many protests that has led to in environmentally-conscious California? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I've never quite understood Minnesota's reasoning behind both denying these kids the opportunity to distinguish themselves on a national stage, and the chance to promote Minnesota basketball. It's beyond my ken.

I think a lot of it has to do with keeping the ultra competitive HS hockey in Minnesota "fair". The catholic school/prep school teams that were better funded would go out and play in like 10 national tournaments every year, and thus are viewed as having an advantage over the other public schools that cannot afford to send their teams. I don't agree with it, but I think this is the reasoning behind it.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think a lot of it has to do with keeping the ultra competitive HS hockey in Minnesota "fair". The catholic school/prep school teams that were better funded would go out and play in like 10 national tournaments every year, and thus are viewed as having an advantage over the other public schools that cannot afford to send their teams. I don't agree with it, but I think this is the reasoning behind it.
Yeah silly.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
2/16

Azzi Fudd scored 20 points today including this late three:

Initially, I thought that SJC must have lost, if Azzi scored only 20 against a very strong McNamara team. But the scoreboard and players’ reaction, suggests that trey was the game winner. FYI, that was HG #13 in 2020, Madison Scott, guarding her. Congrats to Azzi and SJC!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It takes serious strength and mechanics to bury an NBA 3 with so little body motion. Tremendous shooter.
Two years in a row, she beat the HS girls AND HS boys and lost only to Steph Curry in the 3-point contest. Azzi’s shot is as good as it gets.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Initially, I thought that SJC must have lost, if Azzi scored only 20 against a very strong McNamara team. But the scoreboard and players’ reaction, suggests that trey was the game winner. FYI, that was HG #13 in 2020, Madison Scott, guarding her. Congrats to Azzi and SJC!

St. John's won 68-62. That three was essentially the dagger.

Reaction Score
I do know that.
Defense won today's game vs USF .. Aubrey, Liv & Danger .. we should prioritise defense & rebounding for next year: Liv, Aubrey, Mir, Paige & Aaliyah are my starters! that's eggzackly how the Celtics won all those titles, isn't that so?

Reaction Score
It takes serious strength and mechanics to bury an NBA 3 with so little body motion. Tremendous shooter.

I don't think I have seen a wcb player that can shoot the 3 with as little effort as Fudd. Just so smooth. A lot of coaches are going to scream/cry when she commits somewhere.

Reaction Score
Defense won today's game vs USF .. Aubrey, Liv & Danger .. we should prioritise defense & rebounding for next year: Liv, Aubrey, Mir, Paige & Aaliyah are my starters! that's eggzackly how the Celtics won all those titles, isn't that so?

While your 3/4 press lineup may be short on shooters, if they can generate TO's they can score in transition. Not as a primary lineup but against the right opponent they can be a majorly disruptive force for 5 minutes of play a couple of times a game. And if Bueckers, whose quickness and length fits a pressing style, is passing to them their effectiveness is enhanced.

Reaction Score
While your 3/4 press lineup may be short on shooters, if they can generate TO's they can score in transition. Not as a primary lineup but against the right opponent they can be a majorly disruptive force for 5 minutes of play a couple of times a game. And if Bueckers, whose quickness and length fits a pressing style, is passing to them their effectiveness is enhanced.
I'm thinking more than five minutes .. when you say short on shooters, who did you have in mind?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom