February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think we are seeing a pretty good offensive player...but, based on what you see on the video which is like a highlight video...it is extremely difficult to be able to make any conclusions regarding her ability to play defense. By the way...there seemed to be some pretty efficient shooters on both teams.

Geno had mentioned in one of the latest press interviews that he likes to look for offensive skills more than defensive skills since it is easier to teach defense within a team concept.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think we are seeing a pretty good offensive player...but, based on what you see on the video which is like a highlight video...it is extremely difficult to be able to make any conclusions regarding her ability to play defense. By the way...there seemed to be some pretty efficient shooters on both teams.
Azzi keeps her hand up and moves her feet well side to side. She has been taught well.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Fudd has shown defensive aptitude and desire in the past. I'd assume the further she gets from surgery the better her movement in defending will become.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
After Hopkins game against St. Michael-Albertville you could see Paige was somewhat lame. She sat for the later part of the game and cooled out. You can see it here:

Reaction Score

It's hard to tell in a highlight video but her parents are her AAU coaches and I saw at least one shot of her in a perfect position boxing a defender off right at the end of one of her videos. I'd guess she's been well-trained in the fundamentals. One thing she has all over Bueckers is a college-ready body. In fact in one of her interviews she mentioned that when she first saw Bueckers years ago at some event she looked at "that skinny body" and didn't think she would have much trouble with her. Then see saw Bueckers play.
I don't believe in comparing players to others but if Fudd were to pick UConn it would be like getting Taurasi and Moore on the same team. I'll keep my XL season ticket in the hope that happens. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When do they announce?

Also, anyone on the BY care to assess (rank?) the finalists for those who are not following the HS scene outside of Paige. Would be a fun topic I think. OI only saw Hailey Van Lith in USAB and Paige is on a different level imho but no clue about the rest?

Reaction Score
When do they announce?

Also, anyone on the BY care to assess (rank?) the finalists for those who are not following the HS scene outside of Paige. Would be a fun topic I think. OI only saw Hailey Van Lith in USAB and Paige is on a different level imho but no clue about the rest?
Been meaning to say this for awhile, Paopao is really really good and will be a problem in college. Paige is the best but remember Paopao’s name because from what I’ve seen, she’s very competitive and plays at an elite level. Really really like her game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When do they announce?

1) Paige
2)
3)
4)

15) Reese
16) Van Lith
17) Cardoso from Brasil
18) Paopao

I believe with the exception of Paopao all of these players were evaluated by the UCONN staff.
Reese was reportedly holding a UCONN offer-personally I never saw it.
Van Lith visited UCONN and UCONN's interest died the day Nika said yes to UCONN
Geno went to Cardosa's HS to watch her play and UCONN interested died when Gabriel said yes to UCONN.

Reaction Score
1) Paige
2)
3)
4)

15) Reese
16) Van Lith
17) Cardoso from Brasil
18) Paopao

I believe with the exception of Paopao all of these players were evaluated by the UCONN staff.
Geno went to Cardosa's HS to watch her play and UCONN interested died when Gabriel said yes to UCONN.
Thanks for the chuckle from the numeric rankings. Bueckers should be obvious. I like Paopao and I'd go top 5 for her and Hailey Van Lith. But the other two are about where I'd have them.
Reese- No idea how she could've had a UConn offer. I can't even watch her videos.
Hailey Van Lith- Wise move to take Muhl and call it a day for guards. Too many better ones on the horizon.
Cardoso- If indeed GA dropped her for Gabriel, it shows how much he saw in Cardoso. Unless academics were involved of which I have no idea.

Reaction Score
1) Paige
2)
3)
4)

15) Reese
16) Van Lith
17) Cardoso from Brasil
18) Paopao

I think Cardoso's academic eligibility questions influenced UConn too....

Reaction Score
1) Paige
2)
3)
4)

15) Reese
16) Van Lith
17) Cardoso from Brasil
18) Paopao

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Paopao plays at La Jolla Country Day. Candace Wiggins played also there.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith- Wise move to take Muhl and call it a day for guards. Too many better ones on the horizon.
Cardoso- If indeed GA dropped her for Gabriel, it shows how much he saw in Cardoso. Unless academics were involved of which I have no idea.

I feel like UConn knew Cardoso wasn't coming prior to Gabriel's verbal. With all due respect to Piath, she wouldn't block an elite prospect like Cardoso.

Those things (academics, eliteness of Cardoso, Cardoso potentially going pro) might have been all factors but the biggest factor was the one @Sluconn Husky alluded to. UCONN could not get Cardosa to commit to a visit so UCONN moved on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom